Bowles, for once, has been brilliant

UnitedWhofans

The way he has handled this QB rotation in this preseason has been brilliant, IMO. He knows McCown is not the future, so he wants to get good look at the other two young QBs.

If McCown ends up starting, and he's rusty; who gives a crap? This is not a season to worry about short term success.

If Petty ends up starting, good for him

He did everything possible to make sure the best QB on the roster got almost no looks at all giving him a whopping 5 or 6 reps.  Said Qb fights through it and shows he is the best QB on the roster and now bowles is a genius.

Sounds about right.  We better give him an A+

Just now, Beerfish said:

He did everything possible to make sure the best QB on the roster got almost no looks at all giving him a whopping 5 or 6 reps.  Said Qb fights through it and shows he is the best QB on the roster and now bowles is a genius.

WHo gives a sh*t if McCown doesnt get any reps? I don't. I don't care. This season is not about winning. This has been known since February

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

NYJ logic...go figure. Even N Tesla would fail

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Only because there is no A++ option, correct?

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The way he has handled this QB rotation in this preseason has been brilliant, IMO. He knows McCown is not the future, so he wants to get good look at the other two young QBs.

If McCown ends up starting, and he's rusty; who gives a crap? This is not a season to worry about short term success.

If Petty ends up starting, good for him

I wouldn't call him brilliant but I agree with his strategy. This wasn't the preseason to worry about getting a 38 year old journeyman QB ready to go 6-10. If he's rusty and we end up winning 4 games instead of 6, even better. 

Many here aren't smart enough to grasp that. Which is sad to think that the dope bowles is actually smarter than most sojf posters on this board.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So if you were head coach this season you would have gone all in on McCown so that he's ready to lead this team to what exactly? 

If Bowles plan was to play the QBs so that Hack looked terrible and Petty looked good, it worked to a T.   In all likelihood, had he switched playing them, the results would have been somewhat reversed.

Petty looks better this year than last.  Hack needs another year in development to be perhaps a backup.

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

I thought Bowles handled the QB position the right way.  If I had to knitpick, I wish Petty would have seen some snaps against the Giants 1st string defense.

Honestly though, the Giants defense is a deep defense. I noted this before. They had Eli Apple, a first round pick playing with the second team defense. Their defense is deep

10 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

WHo gives a sh*t if McCown doesnt get any reps? I don't. I don't care. This season is not about winning. This has been known since February

Pretty sure he's talking about Petty.

Because before that second preseason game Petty had received 5-6 team reps a practice and a quarter against Tennessee.

Something happened a couple weeks ago that caused Bowles to do a complete 180 in the way he approached the QBs. McCown went from getting the majority of the reps to none, and Petty went from almost none to getting reps with the starters. I don't know if it's because of McCown or Petty's performance, or because of a directive or internal discussions where they simply concluded that there was no point in starting McCown this year - something they should've realized from the start. Better late than never, but Petty, in particular, lost a lot of valuable reps early. He might've had a better chance to win the starting job had they giving him a fairer shot from the start. 

Just now, slats said:

Something happened a couple weeks ago that caused Bowles to do a complete 180 in the way he approached the QBs. McCown went from getting the majority of the reps to none, and Petty went from almost none to getting reps with the starters. I don't know if it's because of McCown or Petty's performance, or because of a directive or internal discussions where they simply concluded that there was no point in starting McCown this year - something they should've realized from the start. Better late than never, but Petty, in particular, lost a lot of valuable reps early. He might've had a better chance to win the starting job had they giving him a fairer shot from the start. 

Meh. I still think he's getting enough.  And dont forget, he started games last year

1 minute ago, slats said:

Agreed, but there could be one more scenario with Petty early in camp, maybe he was slow in picking up the new offense, and after the Lions game, or just before he caught up, and started to understand the new scheme?

I think he played hack because he needed the most reps...plain and simple. He knew what he had in petty from last year, knew that mcclown was/is a bum and since this upcoming draft is a priority lets see if the kid can hack it. If it is abundantly clear he cannot then he wont be seeing any reps this season anyway because it will be either petty or the clown. ...basically it was now or next year.

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Agree

IMO what happened a few weeks ago was Macc hit Bowles on  the head and said, "play both the kids. I want to see if my draft picks can play before we turn the team over to an old journeyman".   Hack made Bowles look smart, for giving ALL the #1 reps to McCown.  Petty made him look stupid for only giving him 4-5 reps a practice with the scout team.  Stay tuned

21 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I wouldn't call him brilliant but I agree with his strategy. This wasn't the preseason to worry about getting a 38 year old journeyman QB ready to go 6-10. If he's rusty and we end up winning 4 games instead of 6, even better. 

Many here aren't smart enough to grasp that. Which is sad to think that the dope bowles is actually smarter than most sojf posters on this board.

No reason to attack people just because they disagree with you.

5 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I think he played hack because he needed the most reps...plain and simple. He knew what he had in petty from last year, knew that mcclown was/is a bum and since this upcoming draft is a priority lets see if the kid can hack it. If it is abundantly clear he cannot then he wont be seeing any reps this season anyway because it will be either petty or the clown. ...basically it was now or next year.

This.

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Agree

IMO what happened a few weeks ago was Macc hit Bowles on  the head and said, "play both the kids. I want to see if my draft picks can play before we turn the team over to an old journeyman".   Hack made Bowles look smart, for giving ALL the #1 reps to McCown.  Petty made him look stupid for only giving him 4-5 reps a practice with the scout team.  Stay tuned

Yeah, I tend to agree that it had to be something like this. Either a directive from the owner who seems to be 100% on board with the youth movement, or Mac got Bowles' ear and convinced him that the kids were the way to go. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Maybe Hack has been worse than they thought shifting the discussion to Petty.  The FO knows there's no point in playing McCown and even though they may not be high on Petty they obviously see the benefit of playing him over McCown.

6 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Maybe Hack has been worse than they thought shifting the discussion to Petty.  The FO knows there's no point in playing McCown and even though they may not be high on Petty they obviously see the benefit of playing him over McCown.

Hack's reps didn't change, though. McCown and Petty swapped work, that was the change. 

I know it's popular to question Bowles' decisions here but this was actually a smart move.

He gave 2 young QBs more reps than a 38 year old perennial losing journey man QB. It was the right decision. Now his decision to play Sheldon at OLB is another story.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You forgot the part where McClown has already been committed to starting by Bowles, and there was never any competition. Bowles has wanted Fitz 2.0 from Day 1. Maybe he will shock me and name Petty starter which he should be. It was not that Petty was good Saturday he was the best player on the field. BTW, A Stewart and Hansen both look like they can be decent #2 level receivers.

Bowles has been allocating QB reps in a way that didn't make sense to anybody outside of his staff from the very start.

There may well have been a method to his madness or a plan from the start. Or maybe there was a change of plan last week. Its kind of impossible to tell. 

In the end we might never know exactly why he did what he did unless somebody directly involved tells us. What's most important is that after all this a logical conclusion is reached and Bowles can say why he made it without relying on the tired cliché "He gives us the best chance to win".

That logical conclusion should probably be "Bryce is our starter".

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

You forgot the part where McClown has already been committed to starting by Bowles, and there was never any competition. Bowles has wanted Fitz 2.0 from Day 1. Maybe he will shock me and name Petty starter which he should be. It was not that Petty was good Saturday he was the best player on the field. BTW, A Stewart and Hansen both look like they can be decent #2 level receivers.

Jets starting offense for Week 1 should be

QB Petty

RB Powell

TE Legget (ASJ Week 3)

WR 1 Anderson 

WR 2 Hansen

WR Slot A Stewart

18 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Jets starting offense for Week 1 should be

QB Petty

RB Powell

TE Legget (ASJ Week 3)

WR 1 Anderson 

WR 2 Hansen

WR Slot A Stewart

Agreed.  Except I don't have a preference at all between Hack/Petty.  Just so long as McCown doesn't play.

Archived