Jets Trade S Ronald Martin for Long Snapper

JetsFanatic

Just now, section314 said:

Would love to have McCloughan here. I am in my 38th year of season tix, and have never been more totally uninterested to watch this team in my life. The front office is destroying this team. It's a disgrace. 

Agree and feel your pain. 

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Would love to have McCloughan here. I am in my 38th year of season tix, and have never been more totally uninterested to watch this team in my life. The front office is destroying this team. It's a disgrace. 

oh please...Kotite / Gutman and it's not even close.  Coslett wasn't that great either..

8 hours ago, Barkus said:

Who the hell trades for a long-snapper? Has this ever happened before??

At least Mcc only gave up a b/u S   

Philadelphia Eagles (@Eagles)

8/28/17, 8:27 PM

Roster Move: #Eagles acquire 2019 7th-round pick from New Orleans in exchange for LS Jon Dorenbos. pic.twitter.com/jXfxEegm6U

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

At least Mcc only gave up a b/u S   

Philadelphia Eagles (@Eagles)

8/28/17, 8:27 PM

Roster Move: #Eagles acquire 2019 7th-round pick from New Orleans in exchange for LS Jon Dorenbos. pic.twitter.com/jXfxEegm6U

Yes, I am sure he will lock up GM of the year now!

19 hours ago, C Mart said:

everyone feels LS are insignificant until a snap is bounced and a game is lost because of it i.e. giants playoff vs niners

Exactly...It's not as if Ronald Martin was the difference between playoffs or bust is it?....and anyway I thought people wanted us to lose every game??....whining that McCown sucks but worried he'll win us too many games(you couldn't make it up) and then complaining that we added a 23 year old to replace a 33 year old who likely retires by the time we are competitive anyway....amazing

On August 29, 2017 at 5:50 AM, long suffering jets fan said:

I guess we're just casting off guys who weren't going to make the team anyway and trying to get some value for them.

CORRECT.

Ronald Martin, traded by the Jets to Colts for LS Thomas Hennessy - who EARNS $400K in '17. The Jets then cut LS Purdrum -would've earned $980K in '17. Save $580K in salary and $400K in CAP SPACE.

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Dennis Waszak Jr. (@DWAZ73)

9/3/17, 4:18 PM

Safety Ronald Martin, traded by #Jets to Colts for LS Thomas Hennessy, now on waivers. twitter.com/Colts/status/9…

Bash on Mac all you want, but his trading for DEPTH (contract yr 5th CB McDougle for S Terrence Brooks) and for younger/cheaper players that are just as serviceable as current vets (Martin for Hennessy to replace Purdum) is very astute. He's trading unnecessary spare players that would have been cut anyway in exchange for JUST AS GOOD players that are cheaper and younger that won't have to be bid on post TC bidding wars (that's how we supposedly lost Alex Collins on the PS to Baltimore).  That's good asset management.

Jets can now easily reacquire Ronald Martin (injuries, knows the system, etc.-if necessary) and have a NET benefit irregardless. I have not loved all the moves made by Mac, but we've had worse GMs running the Jets. 

3 hours ago, C Mart said:

Dennis Waszak Jr.‏Verified account @DWAZ73  

Bowles says #Jets wanted LS Thomas Hennessy for a long time. Credits Purdum for great career. Says Hennessy might be better cover guy.

Its really Hennessy Todd Bowles wanted, that could be the reason he coaches like he does. 

Image result for Hennessy liquor pics

On 9/3/2017 at 7:20 PM, Gas2No99 said:

CORRECT.

Ronald Martin, traded by the Jets to Colts for LS Thomas Hennessy - who EARNS $400K in '17. The Jets then cut LS Purdrum -would've earned $980K in '17. Save $580K in salary and $400K in CAP SPACE.

Bash on Mac all you want, but his trading for DEPTH (contract yr 5th CB McDougle for S Terrence Brooks) and for younger/cheaper players that are just as serviceable as current vets (Martin for Hennessy to replace Purdum) is very astute. He's trading unnecessary spare players that would have been cut anyway in exchange for JUST AS GOOD players that are cheaper and younger that won't have to be bid on post TC bidding wars (that's how we supposedly lost Alex Collins on the PS to Baltimore).  That's good asset management.

Jets can now easily reacquire Ronald Martin (injuries, knows the system, etc.-if necessary) and have a NET benefit irregardless. I have not loved all the moves made by Mac, but we've had worse GMs running the Jets. 

1. Your numbers are off. Hennessy doesn't make enough to be in the top 51, and Martin could have been squeezed into a pay cut if MM was so on the ball -- or if he was going to be cut anyway the cap savings by trading him away is zero. 

2, Contract year for McDougle was irrelevant, as it was just shown he could be locked up with a team option for another year for minimum dollars (when a smarter GM is handling such things). 

3. If you're going to praise a move, at least know the reason why it was done. This was an age move, not a money move. Nobody cares about $230k in space on a $170m cap limit, with tens of millions carrying over to next season anyway. The obvious reason for doing it is Hennessy is 10 years younger than the 33 yr old Purdum, and if there's any season to take a chance on a young LS it's this one that Maccagnan had already ruined in advance of its start. The move is fine, but it remains to be seen that it is a lateral one on the field.

4. Irregardless?

We brought him in because he was younger and (I guess) because he can apparently contribute down field. 

Purdum was great at what he did but he's getting on in years and we had to move on one of these days.

We should hope Hennessy doesn't suck at his job and remains our LS for years to come.. I think that about covers this thread.

Archived