Josh McCown named starter by Bowles.

Lupz27

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Bowles should have been told next time you utter a 2-22 QB, and best chance to win in the same sentence you officially are in Rich Kotite stratosphere!

Thing is he doesn't report to Maccagnan, so only person to tell him anything right now is Chris Johnson. 

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

Because they wanted Hack to win the starting job so he was given ample opportunity.  McCown is a veteran who will probably get a few snaps on Thursday and practice with the ones moving forward.  Whatever was said, IMO, Petty was never truly in the running to be the starter.

I do think there is credence to what Bowles/Bates said about stating Hack vs NYG...Petty has played against 1s (last yr)..They wanted to give Hack more reps..Again, as I said recently this allows Hack/CS coaching/teaching points for Hack...Of course many here will just say it's a waste of time blah blah...

Just now, Larz said:

the plan as I see it was to sign mccown as insurance, and give hack every opportunity to seize the job. Petty was never in play for the starters job. I can't say why other than his performance last year or just the GM's lust for Hack.

Mccown has familiarity with this offense, and played a season with bates.  I think they took a gamble that mccown could be ready week 1 with minimal reps, and that opened the door to try to give hack the chance to seize the job

I would expect Hack will get the chance to play the entire game thursday as well

this staff sees pewtty very differently than the fans do

not just bowles, but the OC and QB coach

Clearly.  Because I see 15/18 with 3 TDs, 0 INTs and a perfect QBR as something you want to build on and see if it can continue.  But what do I know.

The only logical decision. I hope he doesn't play on Thursday night. He gets reps in practice and nobody hits him. We have a chance to be competitive with him. The players know this, too. And I think will put out an effort with him. Petty should be the backup and he could be ok if and when he plays. He has a chance to be the starter next season. We have seen some progress with him. 

I''m not happy about this decision because I do think you have nothing to lose by playing Petty but you guys do have to understand we're also trying to develop the other 52 men on the roster not just Hack or Petty.  We have a super young Wide received corps and inexperienced o-line who can also benefit from a QB out there who knows what he's doing.  Again, after seeing the first 3 PS games I was rooting for Petty but in a way I do get it.

1 minute ago, Tony MaC said:

Huh? If he had that high an opinion of him and felt like his job was threatened wouldn't he start him then? 

No...for reasons I cannot fathom, the coaching staff, or Bowles at least, have predicated this entire preseason on saying everyone had an equal shot while making sure Petty didn't actually have one.  It makes no sense, but it seems like they are being very stubborn in not ever giving him a turn with the first unit.  Other than ego, what harm would there be in giving him a series or two in the first half last week.  

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Clearly.  Because I see 15/18 with 3 TDs, 0 INTs and a perfect QBR as something you want to build on and see if it can continue.  But what do I know.

c'mon

collins and JPP are incredible talents.  Petty would have looked very different with those guys out there.

48 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Bates: Last time he was w/Jets (2005) they used 5 QBs...It's a week to week league. They''ll all be prepared each week to play...carry on

Would bet today that the Jets' week 16 and 17 QB starter (Starters? plural?) are not on this roster today. Would also wager an exacta their HC will be different then too. 

1 minute ago, Larz said:

c'mon

collins and JPP are incredible talents.  Petty would have looked very different with those guys out there.

Of course.  But when a guy is near-perfect with the limited opportunity he was given, do you give him a bigger opportunity or do you bury him?

Just now, drsamuel84 said:

I''m not happy about this decision because I do think you have nothing to lose by playing Petty but you guys do have to understand we're also trying to develop the other 52 men on the roster not just Hack or Petty.  We have a super young Wide received corps and inexperienced o-line who can also benefit from a QB out there who knows what he's doing.  Again, after seeing the first 3 PS games I was rooting for Petty but in a way I do get it.

Honestly this is my feeling as well.

I'm not going to lose sleep over this decision like some others are. Mostly because I'm pretty sure people are wrong in thinking that McCown will get every start this year- unless things went horribly RIGHT.

We can't let Bowles ruin things again.  

Who owns a farm or a place that is really remote?  We need to arrange some sort of kidnapping of either Bowles or McCown.  

Treat them awesome.  I'm talking steak dinners, puppies, beer, hot chicks brought to them...  

But keep them locked up so they can't ruin our tank.

Who's in?

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The only logical decision. I hope he doesn't play on Thursday night. He gets reps in practice and nobody hits him. We have a chance to be competitive with him. The players know this, too. And I think will put out an effort with him. Petty should be the backup and he could be ok if and when he plays. He has a chance to be the starter next season. We have seen some progress with him. 

I have no words for your evaluation of QB's!

Just now, nycdan said:

Of course.  But when a guy is near-perfect with the limited opportunity he was given, do you give him a bigger opportunity or do you bury him?

let it go.  backups don't count.  even hack threw a TD on those fools, lol

I count everything.  meetings, practice, games, weight room.  somewhere along the line this staff decided his ceiling was backup. 

he had his chance last year as a 25 year old in his 2nd year in the NFL and he muffed it

6 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Bingo! Said that a week ago...McCown's experience, familiarity with this offense and w/Bates allows him to transition the rest of the O for 4-6 games..Also allows Hack/Petty to observe, pick his brain in meetings/film study etc...  I'll still stand by thought that Hack starts by Nov, at the latest. JMO

35 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

His knee is practically healed already. He can play on it now. It is a MINOR injury

I am sure he could play on it.  And if this team were relevant, it would make sense to let him.  But what is the reward?  Petty is rather unlucky when it comes to getting nicked up.  I wont slap him with the injury-prone label yet, but I wouldnt send him out with a weakened knee either.  He could put no weight on it after it happened.  This team is going nowhere.  Where is the harm in giving him a couple of extra weeks to heal?  Take a look for yourself.  Grade 1 MCL sprain "can increase the risk of a repeat injury...  Maximal ligament strength returns after 6 weeks.."

Don't you think that his mobility and/or confidence in his knee is important behind the Jets OL?  Or is a statue with a knee contraption a better idea?

http://physioworks.com.au/injuries-conditions-1/medial-collateral-ligament-sprain

I am right about this.

10 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Bingo! My sentiments also!

2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I am sure he could play on it.  And if this team were relevant, it would make sense to let him.  But what is the reward?  Petty is rather unlucky when it comes to getting nicked up.  I wont slap him with the injury-prone label yet, but I wouldnt send him out with a weakened knee either.  He could put no weight on it after it happened.  This team is going nowhere.  Where is the harm in giving him a couple of extra weeks to heal?  Take a look for yourself.  Grade 1 MCL sprain "can increase the risk of a repeat injury...  Maximal ligament strength returns after 6 weeks.."

Don't you think that his mobility and/or confidence in his knee is important behind the Jets OL?  Or is a statue with a knee contraption a better idea?

http://physioworks.com.au/injuries-conditions-1/medial-collateral-ligament-sprain

I am right about this.

pretty much how I live my life, lololololol

20 minutes ago, Larz said:

let it go.  backups don't count.  even hack threw a TD on those fools, lol

I count everything.  meetings, practice, games, weight room.  somewhere along the line this staff decided his ceiling was backup. 

he had his chance last year as a 25 year old in his 2nd year in the NFL and he muffed it

By that logic, Peyton Manning went 3-13 his first season.  Done.  No more chances.  Ridiculous.  New OC, new system.  The guy MIGHT be awful or MIGHT be good under fire but let's not find out because he was bad last season.  Keep throwing out the kid who clearly isn't ready followed by the 38-yo who has a 30% career winning percentage.  

Sorry...I strongly disagree and many of us will be watching every screw-up McCown makes while Petty is sitting on the bench and wishing Bowles would eat a bad burrito and get a chronic case of explosive diarrhea forcing him to take the season off to focus on his recovery so we can get a coach in there who actually knows what "open competition" means.  

40 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Once MCcown looks good then their hands will be tied. He'll get another contract same as Fitz and we can start this BS over again in 2020. 

Some people cannot learn from mistakes. 

"Once MCcown looks good then their hands will be tied"

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time! Have you watched this so called offense? 

McCown will be lucky not to end up in traction, he's gonna earn all of his 6 million, in lumps, bruises, etc.

25 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Now that McCown has been named the starter, do you think the Jets should double his salary to $12M? You know, starter's pay. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Now that McCown has been named the starter, do you think the Jets should double his salary to $12M? You know, starter's pay. 

What I think is that Fitz would have had a better year in 2016 if he didn't have to hold out. As for McCown he probably has incentives and if he plays well like Fitz did in 2015 and the Jets want him back, he'll ask for it. Imo McCown is a more reliable Qb than Fitz was. 

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Bingo! Said that a week ago...McCown's experience, familiarity with this offense and w/Bates allows him to transition the rest of the O for 4-6 games..Also allows Hack/Petty to observe, pick his brain in meetings/film study etc...  I'll still stand by thought that Hack starts by Nov, at the latest. JMO

I recommend you and everyone else go listen to the Bates press conference. There is no plan to start Hack or Petty...ever. Barring injury. It is one of the most depressing things to listen to ever. Not only was there no competition, McClown was starter from Day 1 and Petty was eliminated before the season because of last year and they really don't care about his performance this year. They are completely confident in McClown because of all the stupid Fitz reasons, knows the offense, experienced, good personality, blah blah. When directly challenged on his ability to actually perform on the field, the answer was he is our guy. Bowles and this entire staff is on the McClown ship and will sink with it. Their only concern with Hack and Petty is NOT to make them a starter, but to groom them as backups in case of injury. He seriously says this in so many words.

Which makes not bringing in other QBs to actually compete even more criminally inept.

Archived