Josh McCown named starter by Bowles.

Lupz27

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

The only logical decision. I hope he doesn't play on Thursday night. He gets reps in practice and nobody hits him. We have a chance to be competitive with him. The players know this, too. And I think will put out an effort with him. Petty should be the backup and he could be ok if and when he plays. He has a chance to be the starter next season. We have seen some progress with him. 

Can't wait to be competitive. Maybe they'll give us a competitive award, and ice cream without sprinkles. 

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Any coach who uses a tired old (dishonest) cliche like "gives us the best chance to win" should be fired on the spot just for that.  Cliches are evil.

Listen to the Bates news conference. The truth is even worse than what we dreamed up.

53 minutes ago, slats said:

Now that McCown has been named the starter, do you think the Jets should double his salary to $12M? You know, starter's pay. 

He gets a bonus for every game played so they essentially did as well. Which comes out of next years cap since they are LTBE

3 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Who cares? Just get the # 1 overall pick

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

How do you not understand that this will never happen with McCown starting unless he gets knocked out in the first game. 

McCown is a nice safe QB that can beat bad teams. Guaranteed we win at least 4-5 games with him and pick 6th. He had a 93 QB rating with the Browns 2 years ago.

Guess we'll have the best CB drop to us. Can't wait. 

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its the only choice.  Hack can't play in this league and petty is hurt.  

The Jets will put up 25 plus points in Buffalo and win the game.  Ugh.

Your information is dated.  Petty is cleared to play now and certainly would be ready in two weeks.  

2 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

How do you not understand that this will never happen with McCown starting unless he gets knocked out in the first game. 

McCown is a nice safe QB that can beat bad teams. Guaranteed we win at least 4-5 games with him and pick 6th. He had a 93 QB rating with the Browns 2 years ago.

Guess we'll have the best CB drop to us. Can't wait. 

I think from the NFL's perspective you can't completely blatantly tank.

Starting Hack would tank.

Petty is hurt.

McCown was signed as someone who can look professional and still lose.

The Jets have very raw receivers.  ASJ is out 2 weeks.  The OL is terrible. The RBs are really receivers.  The defense has holes.   As a general matter, the Jets should lose plenty of games with McCown.  When he gets hurt, then we will see who plays.

I want to see the draft pick, Petty and Hack on the team next year, with Hack and Petty playing as much as possible.

But it is the Bills, with their regime in year 1 not year 3, who are blantantly tanking.  They are dumping players who can actually yield draft picks.  McCown may beat them.

5 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Who cares about next year? 

Only the fans I guess. Certainly not Bates or Bowles. 

I swear to god, anyone with half a brain and a draft guide could manage this team as well as McCagnan has and pretty much any HC would be better. I truly believe we have found one of the worst HCs ever in the NFL. Dumb, belligerent, not a leader, not a teacher, not a good game manager, not a good anything. Loyal to old veterans to a fault, especially QBs. Dishonest. Eff both of them

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

Petty is hurt.

The Jets have very raw receivers.  ASJ is out 2 weeks.  The OL is terrible. The RBs are really receivers.  The defense has holes.   As a general matter, the Jets should lose plenty of games with McCown.  When he gets hurt, then we will see who plays.

I want to see the draft pick, Petty and Hack on the team next year, with Hack and Petty playing as much as possible.

But it is the Bills, with their regime in year 1 not year 3, who are blantantly tanking.  They are dumping players who can actually yield draft picks.  McCown may beat them.

The Bills are truly in tank mode for a QB. The Jets are just sucking their thumbs sitting in a corner peeing themselves out of sheer stupidity

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

Petty is hurt.

Petty is not injured. He's already back practicing with an injury that takes 4 day to a week to heal.

So we have the Bills twice

The Browns are starting Kiser. There's 3 wins right there. 

Fish with Cutler. 

Jax 

We will win one game by accident. Guaranteed at least 4 wins now and no progress from a young QB means we're still treading water come 2020. 

Rebuilding means rebuilding. QB is the most important position but we let go of all our Veterans just to sign an older journeyman QB than we already had last year. 

Just try to explain how it makes sense unless you're not planning on being here next year. 

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Only the fans I guess. Certainly not Bates or Bowles. 

I swear to god, anyone with half a brain and a draft guide could manage this team as well as McCagnan has and pretty much any HC would be better. I truly believe we have found one of the worst HCs ever in the NFL. Dumb, belligerent, not a leader, not a teacher, not a good game manager, not a good anything. Loyal to old veterans to a fault, especially QBs. Dishonest. Eff both of them

Bowles doesn't seem to think one play ahead.

Old one play at a time Todd. Herm Edwards without the charisma. 

Best chance to win. A punt is as good as a score. All you can ask for is to be within striking distance in the 4th quarter. 

Lets lose yardage getting the ball into the middle of the field on 2nd down then kick on 3rd...and miss...twice. 

The right answer was to draft Peterman or Kaaya, let Mack, Petty and and draft pick play QB, and see where it ended up.

But Woody needed to reset MaccBowles.  Tell them that despite the first 2 years they were getting another 2-start over and do it right.

That is obviously not what happened.  We are trading for safeties and picking up 4-3 DEs on waivers with only 1 year on their contract.

They did everything known to man to try and give the job to Hackenberg and he was so awful that they couldn't even justify a YOLO approach like the Browns are using with Kizer. If they thought the team wouldn't outright quit on Hack, he'd be the starter today. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They did everything known to man to try and give the job to Hackenberg and he was so awful that they couldn't even justify a YOLO approach like the Browns are using with Kizer. If they thought the team wouldn't outright quit on Hack, he'd be the starter today. 

We're going to be competitive. That makes it all worthwhile. 

Now I need to start selling those T-shirts. 

1 minute ago, NYs Stepchild said:

We're going to be competitive. That makes it all worthwhile. 

Now I need to start selling those T-shirts. 

That's the thing: they're not going to be competitive, but they have to try not to be embarrassing. Hackenberg was Buttfumble awful on Saturday. Like, Buttfumble on a loop.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That's the thing: they're not going to be competitive, but they have to try not to be embarrassing. Hackenberg was Buttfumble awful on Saturday. Like, Buttfumble on a loop.

By competitive I mean the other team is going to have to try to beat us.

There will be many games where we come back and lose by 7 or less because the other team gets conservative. 

That and we will win at least 4 games. We'll draft no lower than 6, and no higher than 10...Then we give Mc a nice extension...you know for being competitive. 

I have to be honest, it just does not make sense to me.  We have seen this story before with Fitzpatrick.  A guy that may not be on the roster next year.  We have a young team, let Petty or Hackenberg start.  Our Offensive line is rough, if you put Sam Darnold behind this line the media would be calling him first round bust.

People have to remember that McCown has not played more than 11 games in a season for over a decade...A DECADE! With him being grandfather age in the NFL likely not gonna break his habit. We will see one or both quarterbacks gauranteed for a few games each possibly.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

not good.  so mccown might take the team to 6-10, 7-9, maybe even 9-7, but then what?  the jets will be mired in middling record hell so their draft will be so-so.  i'd rather see them go 5-11 with petty or hack than 9-7 with mccown.  at least starting hack or petty would show what they have for the future.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

The Bills are truly in tank mode for a QB. The Jets are just sucking their thumbs sitting in a corner peeing themselves out of sheer stupidity

Buffalo is not tanking.  They have accumulated picks to move up if they so choose.  There is a difference. Buffalo is not a good team, but their roster is better than the Jets.  They have a better QB, star RB, better OL, and a comparable defense.  The Bills will win more games than the Jets.

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

not good.  so mccown might take the team to 6-10, 7-9, maybe even 9-7, but then what?  the jets will be mired in middling record hell so their draft will be so-so.  i'd rather see them go 5-11 with petty or hack than 9-7 with mccown.  at least starting hack or petty would show what they have for the future.

Then what? Then we take the top Corner in the draft because all the good QBs will have been taken thus pushing down that top cb. 

53 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

People have to remember that McCown has not played more than 11 games in a season for over a decade...A DECADE! With him being grandfather age in the NFL likely not gonna break his habit. We will see one or both quarterbacks gauranteed for a few games each possibly.

So how does that help us? 

3 hours ago, Larz said:

the plan as I see it was to sign mccown as insurance, and give hack every opportunity to seize the job. Petty was never in play for the starters job. I can't say why other than his performance last year or just the GM's lust for Hack.

Mccown has familiarity with this offense, and played a season with bates.  I think they took a gamble that mccown could be ready week 1 with minimal reps, and that opened the door to try to give hack the chance to seize the job

I would expect Hack will get the chance to play the entire game thursday as well

this staff sees petty very differently than the fans do

not just bowles, but the OC and QB coach

And you trust these fools?  I certainly don't ... 

Just now, SOJ said:

And you trust these fools?  I certainly don't ... 

Bowles has proven he has no need for the press and will tell fibs so I don't take his quotes at face value, but i will take an OC and QB coach over fans opinions

So how does that help us? 

It gets our young guys on the field....called developing our youth. Sinking or swimming with who we got since McCown playing with these team means nothing...petty plays like hell and hack plays worse we know what to do come draft day.

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Geez do people really not get it? We are rebuilding. As part of that rebuild you evaluate the QBs on the roster. Evaluating the QBs requires REGULAR SEASON game play. 16 games of it.

No, it really doesn't.

You don't need 16 games to evaluate the fact that you I couldn't play QB in the NFL.  You could see that pretty quickly in practice, preseason, training camp, etc.  It's really no difference with our QBs.  They aren't good at football, they are bad at it.

4 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

It gets our young guys on the field....called developing our youth. Sinking or swimming with who we got since McCown playing with these team means nothing...petty plays like hell and hack plays worse we know what to do come draft day.

Yeah we draft the best defensive player that falls to us at 6. No one is going to trade out of a spot for a generational type QB talent. 

Archived