Josh McCown named starter by Bowles.

Lupz27

9 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Big 4.   

Big 5.  Maybe Big 10.  All depends on who you will listen to, and who declares.

Darnold

Allen

Rosen

Jackson

Stidham

Falk 

Rudoloph

Mayfield

Fitzgerald 

Litton 

And there is possibly 1, or 2 more I'm missing that someone is touting as possible NFL top prospect for next years draft, if I had to guess 2 will go 1, and 2 Darnold, and Allen, and Stidham will be 3rd QB off board, the rest are all crap shoots from Rd1-Rd5 IMO.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted Hack to start but after watching him play this Preseason it was kinda hard to justify starting him. Bowles still has a locker room full of guys who want to win. We know how bad they are going to be but the players don't think that way.

Petty should have gotten more reps against first team defenses this Preseason.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That isn't why Sanchez was put back out there, but this horse has been beaten plenty. Both the HC and QB are ex-Jets and we weren't going to win a SB with either one so dry your eyes.

It was a middle finger to Idzik pushing his boy Geno, because that's a healthy relationship to have between a GM and HC

15 hours ago, Hael said:

Obvious choice.  McCown gives the team the best chance to win, and you risk losing your team's morale and support if you start one of the ill prepared young players. 

You also give yourself a fall guy so that when the inevitable media bashing of the 'dreadful' 2-7 team starts, management can blame McCown and then they can trot out Hackenburg or Petty into the firing line (where they can proceed to suck it up in peace for a few games).

It's rebuilding 101. 

Exactly!  Worked so well with Fitz!  Look at the Jets now!  Let's do it again!  

Go Jets!  

15 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Geez do people really not get it? We are rebuilding. As part of that rebuild you evaluate the QBs on the roster. Evaluating the QBs requires REGULAR SEASON game play. 16 games of it. Evaluating your QBs does NOT consist of a sham competition. a lot of reps in practice for 8 days, and then play the veteran. It requires patience, teaching, coaching and placing GREATER value on the future of this franchise over winning the next game. Every game McClown starts does irreperable damage to the Jets future. It is just that simple. Bowles literally should not be allowed to start McClown (who never should have been signed to begin with) and if he insists just fire him. It is unlikely he is part of the future which is why he is playing McClown.

Hard reality is Bowles does not give a FUUCK about the Jets future. He is only considered with his own job and resume.

Bowles and the Jets are indescribanly short sighted and stupid to allow this to happen.

That is the real truth.. Do you expect the team to pay him all of that money to sit him on the bench?  This is like any meal you use the best ingredients you have.  The GM gets the ingredients the coach cooks the meal.  The Jets QB situation is bad when Josh McCown is the best QB on the roster.  So relax starting him does not make us world beaters...  The offense should be disgusting this year.  However,  If the Jets Defense plays up to their potential they could have an impact on the "tank job" as well.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You're pissed off at the wrong person. Bowles is doing exactly what any HC in his position would do. 

If you want to get pissed off at someone, get pissed off at the one that put Bowles in the position to come to this decision by putting putting McCown on the roster in the first place, and giving him a choice between the least of 3 evils. Bowles doesn't have a 10 year guaranteed contract with the Jets. He effectively has a 1 year opportunity to do what he can to save his potential career as a HC. He doesn't have the luxury of looking towards the team's future 2-3 years from now and beyond, and frankly it's ridiculous to expect it.

Hackenberg was given every opportunity to be the starter and the simple reality is he is unusable, and it would be indefensible for Bowles to start him after his last 2 games against vanilla defenses. Even if you want to argue Petty should start - and IMO I wish that was the decision (given these 3 options) - thus far the guy makes Chad Pennington look like an ironman so McCown would be starting very soon anyway. 

Bowles sucks and simply isn't an NFL HC, but HCs come and go all the time so the 2 main problems that have more lasting effects are the foolish GM and the fool that hired him. 

Like giving someone two bags of shit,    a tub of lard and a bucket sawdust then  expecting a delicious birthday cake. 

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

Can someone please, in detail, operationalize the difference between "not ready" and "not good."  I'd like to understand the nuances of this distinction.  Thanks.

Not ready is the raw meat you have sitting in the fridge.  Not good is when you cook it, eat it, and end up with food poisoning because it turned out to be rotten.  But hey, there was no way to know that until you ate it, regardless of how awful it looked or smelled.  Besides, how do you know your food poisoning wasn't the chef's fault?  Or maybe the fridge was broken!  Ever think of that smart guy?!?

6 hours ago, prime21 said:

This is the best decision that can be mAde. We gave Hack the best opportunity to show that he can be as a starter and he's not ready. We've seen enough of Petty to know that he isn't the future of the franchise. Why McClown? Why bother? Because we have young Players on the offense that also need to develop and he provides the best opportunity for them to that. He is a journeyman but he's best we have.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This is the only reasonable defense of the move. I can understand it as long as Petty or Hack is in the starting lineup by week five. They have to give long looks to both of them. 

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I'd say choosing the 38 year old vet, who has had a total of 1 pre-season drive heading into the year, over the only competent looking young QB on the roster, in a rebuilding year, is far worse than throwing a lame duck QB from the last regime out into a pre-season game to see if he can pull off a comeback when put in the situation.  That decision, while unfortunate for Mark, got Geno meaningful reps in the regular season.  Sanchez was done here the second Tannenbaum got fired.  Anyone fooled into believing he was going to be given the job and chance to revive his career after the drafting of Geno was kidding themselves.  On top of all that, rookie (2013) Geno was better than 2012 Sanchez with much worse talent.  Sucks for Mark but oh well.  He was far away from the long term picture. Bolwes's desire to win a meaningless game or two with "his guy" can royally screw us week 1.

It's nice to think that rooting for the team to always win is noble, but we aren't going anywhere this year.  Winning 1 game has the chance to ruin our franchise (even further) for the next 15 years.  Is anyone here still happy Rex put in Mike Vick to beat the Steelers and wipe any chances we had for Winston and Mariota down the drain?  How about the Tennessee game in 2014?  We still happy we pulled that one out?  I'm still pretty upset, but maybe that's just me.

We have a chance to actually do things the right way, correct a huge mistake from 3 years ago, but somehow, were gonna let the power struggle of a lame duck head coach and GM looking to save his own ass, screw it all up...AGAIN.

It doesn't matter what we think or what we want , there is not one player in that locker room who is thinking let's tank this year. They are playing for their livelihoods and future contracts , they could care less if the fan is upset by a "meaningless" win. 

They are doing it the right way , they have off loaded veterans and bloated contracts they have brought in a influx of youth. They are setting the foundation for the future, I know many here are upset about McCown starting including myself, but it's apparent Hack isn't ready and I don't believe Petty ever will  be.  

6 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Big 5.  Maybe Big 10.  All depends on who you will listen to, and who declares.

Darnold

Allen

Rosen

Jackson

Stidham

Falk 

Rudoloph

Mayfield

Fitzgerald 

Litton 

And there is possibly 1, or 2 more I'm missing that someone is touting as possible NFL top prospect for next years draft, if I had to guess 2 will go 1, and 2 Darnold, and Allen, and Stidham will be 3rd QB off board, the rest are all crap shoots from Rd1-Rd5 IMO.

I though Stidham was only a Soph this year, unless he redshirted he won't be draft eligible next year.

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I though Stidham was only a Soph this year, unless he redshirted he won't be draft eligible next year.

Stidham is draft eligible, he sat out a year after transfer making him 3 years removed from HS after this season which is what makes you draft eligible.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Stidham is draft eligible, he sat out a year after transfer making him 3 years removed from HS after this season which is what makes you draft eligible.

Ok , I thought you needed to be on a team and red-shirted for the year to count. I know he went to Community College but wasn't in a football program. 

He could be a wildcard next year if eligible , as he's going to face some pretty good defenses in the SEC this year.

I don't see what the big deal is.  Petty is injured and Hack still isn't ready but has a world of talent and could someday be a top 10 NFL QB.  McCown is a great teammate and mentor and will keep the Jets competitive while the two young QB's learn.

3 hours ago, Freemanm said:

The only NFL QB that I know that won the starting job simply by NOT playing

? He led the Jets to an early TD in week 1.  Mac and Bowles wanted to give Hack and Petty as many reps as possible in the subsequent games while keeping McCown healthy it's an excellent strategy

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

I don't see what the big deal is.  Petty is injured and Hack still isn't ready but has a world of talent and could someday be a top 10 NFL QB.  McCown is a great teammate and mentor and will keep the Jets competitive while the two young QB's learn.

Hey Mikey Macc your Coffee cup is empty go get a refill.

18 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And this is why a competent GM doesn't sign him in the first place. Not for any price, high or low.

If you want him to be a mentor, pay him $6m - or $26m - to be a second QBC for all I care. But you don't bring him in to be on the actual roster unless you know in advance he can't possibly win an open competition, because it paints the coach into a corner if he's the best QB of the 3 (which he is). There are 50 other players, and a HC on the hot seat, who don't give a crap if we get the #1 pick or the #16 pick next year. They needed to bring in a 3rd young QB. When you're seeking your long term solution at QB you don't waste one of those 3 QB slots on Josh McCown unless you're brain dead.

McCown looks like he can still play a little, and his experience gives him some value to some team. But his place, at his age, is as a $2-3m backup QB on a team with its starter locked in. You don't put the team in a situation where he could beat out your 2 young prospects in a season you're tanking in advance anyway.

i agree with this.  kind of makes rex/tanny right in bringing in brunell and annointing sanchez back in 2009.  if they thought/knew hack needed so much work they should've drafted a qb this year.  not that they needed to draft kizer or watson but someone like peterman would've worked out nicely.  mccown does nothing for this team's future.

12 hours ago, prime21 said:

This is the best decision that can be mAde. We gave Hack the best opportunity to show that he can be as a starter and he's not ready. We've seen enough of Petty to know that he isn't the future of the franchise. Why McClown? Why bother? Because we have young Players on the offense that also need to develop and he provides the best opportunity for them to that. He is a journeyman but he's best we have.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

100% nonsense. They would develop fine with Petty or Hack

Sadly we all knew Bowles would make this choice. I hope the only reason he is naming McCown the starter is because Petty's knee will need to heal, but I doubt it.

Think you're right if petty didn't get hurt he'd be starter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I like McCown but have little faith that he can stay healthy all season. The same goes for Petty. I don't see playing Hack until the Jets are eliminated. Maybe give him a start or two in December. So probably the Jets will have to eventually sign another Qb. There might be a few decent guys who can run an offense available after final cuts. I'd sign someone now so they can learn the Jets O and get acclimated. And carry four Qbs. If we sign someone like Josh Johnson they might realistically have to play. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

I like McCown but have little faith that he can stay healthy all season. The same goes for Petty. I don't see playing Hack until the Jets are eliminated. Maybe give him a start or two in December. So probably the Jets will have to eventually sign another Qb. There might be a few decent guys who can run an offense available after final cuts. I'd sign someone now so they can learn the Jets O and get acclimated. And carry four Qbs. If we sign someone like Josh Johnson they might realistically have to play. 

Jesus H Christ!

Archived