Bates Press Conference

C Mart

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything you need to hear at 8:09.  Bryce was judged on his starts last season in a different offense.  That's how they justified giving Hack two starts and Petty none.  Reporter calls bullsh*t on it and he doubles down and says that they looked at all those starts equally because now they both had the experience of 'running down the tunnel'.  The clown car is full.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Everything you need to hear at 8:09.  Bryce was judged on his starts last season in a different offense.  That's how they justified giving Hack two starts and Petty none.  Reporter calls bullsh*t on it and he doubles down and says that they looked at all those starts equally because now they both had the experience of 'running down the tunnel'.  The clown car is full.

Thank you, you are 100% correct. That is utterly preposterous reasoning and means that the Jets didn't trade Petty last year when they had a chance because they are even dumber then could be imagined.  

That is like saying "worker A didnt do so well under underperforming manager B; so why should we give worker A a shot cause we know what he did with poor management right."

Also it belies the lies that Bowles promulgated when he said that all the QBs had an equal and fair shot at being the starting QB; no they didn't.  

This is NOT how a competent team runs and handles it's business.  If you knew Petty had no chance to be the number 1 then why on God's green earth did you let him practice with the ones in practice thereby taking valuable reps from the guy you knew was going to be the starter???

Yea I know Tom Brady needs practice with his ones but good old veteran McCown, don't need all that practicin cause he just be that good 

It is embarrassing!!

Good Grief. 

OK. I thought this day could not get worse, but that has to be the most depressing interview I have heard in a long time. Shocking, actually. Bates basically said:

1. There was no competition, McClown was starter from Day 1, and there wasn't anything that the others could do about it

2. Barring injury, McClown is QB for the season

3. Petty was eliminated from competition because of last season

4. All they wanted to is give Hack starting experience since Petty already had some

5. They are completely confident in McClown

6. Petty and Hack are backups....not future starters backups. Big distinction

It's just so reprehensibly unacceptable it is hard to put in words. And if you feel that way about Petty and Hack then not drafting at least one, likely two QBs to truly compete is criminally inept. But we have sure spun a bunch of cycles on the safety team

Fuuck this team. Seriously. How inept can you possibly be?

If the goal was to get get Hack and Petty experience, they could have gave them both the majority of reps early in camp, let the play in the first two games, just like they did the last two games.  Then, in an attempt to have McCown get ready for the opener, given him the majority of the reps this week and in game three.

McCown has t developed any kind of rapport with Anderson, Peake, Stewart, etc.

It's like they done everything they can to tank, and now that we are ready to start the season, they are getting cold feet.  Any game or games that McCown wins will set this team back years.

I find it hard not to wish for circumstances leading to Petty having to start.  It might take injuries to both the other guys, which I don't wish on anyone, but if we go through the season without seeing if Petty CAN be as good as his last performance hinted at, that would be a shame.  If he gets a shot and fails, I can absolutely live with that and bring on McCown.  But this is just insane.  I'm seriously starting to think about which other team I can get behind and root for this season.  Titans maybe?  

11 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

As frustrating as this may be,  let's face the facts that these kids aren't in their long term plan.... they must look at the tapes and roll their eyes.

embrace the tank!

Let's say that is true. Then the Jets needed to not sign McClown and do MUCH more to try and find a QB. Like drafting Mahomes or Watson at 6. Or Peterman in the 5th. Drafting Sloter in the 7th.  Even trading for someone. Not just attaching your star to McClown. Holy sweet mother of god.

31 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

OK. I thought this day could not get worse, but that has to be the most depressing interview I have heard in a long time. Shocking, actually. Bates basically said:

1. There was no competition, McClown was starter from Day 1, and there wasn't anything that the others could do about it

2. Barring injury, McClown is QB for the season

3. Petty was eliminated from competition because of last season

4. All they wanted to is give Hack starting experience since Petty already had some

5. They are completely confident in McClown

6. Petty and Hack are backups....not future starters backups. Big distinction

It's just so reprehensibly unacceptable it is hard to put in words. And if you feel that way about Petty and Hack then not drafting at least one, likely two QBs to truly compete is criminally inept. But we have sure spun a bunch of cycles on the safety team

Fuuck this team. Seriously. How inept can you possibly be?

This 100%!!!

If you knew, KNEW!!! that Petty and Hack are off the table how do you not either draft QBs or bring in FA youngster on a short two year deal?????

Under this scenario the Jets could have a similar QB situation two to three years from now!!

wow!!!

27 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

As frustrating as this may be,  let's face the facts that these kids aren't in their long term plan.... they must look at the tapes and roll their eyes.

embrace the tank!

Why have a coach say this??? Trade Petty then!!

14 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Let's say that is true. Then the Jets needed to not sign McClown and do MUCH more to try and find a QB. Like drafting Mahomes or Watson at 6. Or Peterman in the 5th. Drafting Sloter in the 7th.  Even trading for someone. Not just attaching your star to McClown. Holy sweet mother of god.

Thank you.  It isn't that hard!!!! If you think the two QBs suck and aren't the answer you don't hold onto them hoping that they get better!!

And in Hacks case, the organization gets major lumps here. You don't draft a guy don't play him and then NOT draft players you think could be potentially competent because the drafted the mystery Meat player!!

I wanted Hack drafted but once you see first hand he is not the one then you don't double down in your stupidity.  

You cant make it up!!

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Why have a coach say this??? Trade Petty then!!

Besides Richardson, Petty is the only tradable asset on the team now. It wouldn't surprise me to see management trade him for a 6th rounder and a backup safety.

Just now, kdels62 said:

Besides Richardson, Petty is the only tradable asset on the team now. It wouldn't surprise me to see management trade him for a 6th rounder and a backup safety.

What is amazing you showcased Petty in limited action but then have one of your coaches imply based on last year's performance  that he will never be good!!

You wouldn't market a hotdog stand that way. 

Seriously, did anyone listen to that press conference and came away with a different perspective that what is being portrayed as the truth ?  Love and hate are 2 of the strongest emotions I know and both can make you see what you want too instead of what's actually there .

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you, you are 100% correct. That is utterly preposterous reasoning and means that the Jets didn't trade Petty last year when they had a chance because they are even dumber then could be imagined.  

That is like saying "worker A didnt do so well under underperforming manager B; so why should we give worker A a shot cause we know what he did with poor management right."

Also it belies the lies that Bowles promulgated when he said that all the QBs had an equal and fair shot at being the starting QB; no they didn't.  

This is NOT how a competent team runs and handles it's business.  If you knew Petty had no chance to be the number 1 then why on God's green earth did you let him practice with the ones in practice thereby taking valuable reps from the guy you knew was going to be the starter???

Yea I know Tom Brady needs practice with his ones but good old veteran McCown, don't need all that practicin cause he just be that good 

It is embarrassing!!

Good Grief. 

I hate to bring real life tragedy into this, but the Jets are just a disaster. 

Air France flight 447 crashed in the Atlantic a few years ago (and many other flights have done so for similar reasons) and the main reason was a catastrophic loss of lift which caused the plane to stall and eventually fall out of the sky.  Pilots are taught that in the event of a stall, point the nose of the play downward (even when they are losing altitude) so they can gain momentum with the increase in air speed, and create lift under the wings and then level off.  The inexperienced co-captain on the flight instead thought the flight was losing speed and altitude, yanked back on the controls (Airbus has  similar sidesticks to the joysticks people use in video games) because all he could think about was the very short term problem of losing altitude.  Because of that pilot error, the plane had a high approach degree (nose pointed up) which caused further loss of airspeed, and imminent disaster.  

Well the Jets are basically in the same situation in terms of football (and again by no means does football compare to a real life tragedy, completely different magnitudes) because this team is losing right now with forward momentum being stalled.  The correct approach is to tank (thus point the team downward) and build up momentum so the team can be on the upswing before it crashes (create lift).  Instead, we have the coach who is yanking back on the joystick as much as possible going for very short term solutions to an issue far greater, trying to bring the team back up by putting in McCown, which gives off the impression that we're ascending.  Unfortunately, it's just delaying the inevitable, and the wrong course of action in such a situation.  The Jets needed to tank, start their youngsters and hope one of them could improve, or be bad enough that they build momentum, instead they keep yanking the yolk up in a fruitless effort.  

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I disagree. I think what they did is right. They don't think Petty is going to be an upper tier starting QB in the league. So they looked elsewhere. When you watch Hack and Petty throw side by side, Hack has a much better arm. They needed to learn a lot more about Hack to form their opinion, there was no film on him what-so-ever.

What did they learn by letting Hack play with the 1's so long? That he isn't ready right now. He is having a hard time reading defenses. I don't know if they like the other stuff that they saw, time will tell. But they did the right thing giving him reps.

Petty needs to stay healthy. He was hurt like 3 or 4 times last year. People say he took big hits but guess what, the Jets QB is going to take big hits.

Start McCown week one, the Jets win and then we can end this silly "tank talk". This team is young and fast, they will make a lot of mistakes, but make them fast. This year is about next year and beyond.

51 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I find it hard not to wish for circumstances leading to Petty having to start.  It might take injuries to both the other guys, which I don't wish on anyone, but if we go through the season without seeing if Petty CAN be as good as his last performance hinted at, that would be a shame.  If he gets a shot and fails, I can absolutely live with that and bring on McCown.  But this is just insane.  I'm seriously starting to think about which other team I can get behind and root for this season.  Titans maybe?  

Petty should definitely be starting at this point. When people have a weak schedule they say you can only play who they put in front of you. At the same time people say to temper Petty's stats because they came against backups. He can only play against the defense they put in front of him. I do think his long term upside is career backup though for a few reasons.

That said McCown isn't going to hold up long. So Petty and Hack will both get chances this year.

44 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This 100%!!!

If you knew, KNEW!!! that Petty and Hack are off the table how do you not either draft QBs or bring in FA youngster on a short two year deal?????

Under this scenario the Jets could have a similar QB situation two to three years from now!!

wow!!!

NYJ Logic......Imagine some here think Macc should pick the next QB too...smh

11 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I disagree. I think what they did is right. They don't think Petty is going to be an upper tier starting QB in the league. So they looked elsewhere. When you watch Hack and Petty throw side by side, Hack has a much better arm. They needed to learn a lot more about Hack to form their opinion, there was no film on him what-so-ever.

What did they learn by letting Hack play with the 1's so long? That he isn't ready right now. He is having a hard time reading defenses. I don't know if they like the other stuff that they saw, time will tell. But they did the right thing giving him reps.

Petty needs to stay healthy. He was hurt like 3 or 4 times last year. People say he took big hits but guess what, the Jets QB is going to take big hits.

Start McCown week one, the Jets win and then we can end this silly "tank talk". This team is young and fast, they will make a lot of mistakes, but make them fast. This year is about next year and beyond.

Max,  I can live with their assessment of Hack and Petty, but then why McCown?  If it's about next year, why not roll with Petty?  If McCown somehow stays healthy, he's going to beat teams that are tanking.  Just like when the Jets beat Ten and they got Mariota.  Just like SF last year.  McCown could probably beat Buffalo twice, Jax, and Cle.  So hello 6th pick, good bye any chance to be relevant.

At least if Petty starts and wins games, that helps his development.  He will be on the team next year.  McCown is not.

Just now, Pcola said:

Max,  I can live with their assessment of Hack and Petty, but then why McCown?  If it's about next year, why not roll with Petty?  If McCown somehow stays healthy, he's going to beat teams that are tanking.  Just like when the Jets beat Ten and they got Mariota.  Just like SF last year.  McCown could probably beat Buffalo twice, Jax, and Cle.  So hello 6th pick, good bye any chance to be relevant.

At least if Petty starts and wins games, that helps his development.  He will be on the team next year.  McCown is not.

We are on the same page. I am with them on the rotation in preseason. What they did with Hack makes sense to me.

But I would start Petty if he was healthy. He earned it.

Petty is going to play 4 or 5 games and they will win a few of them. Then he will get hurt. I am curious what they do at that point. They might be all in on Hack sink or swim, and draft a QB next year.

The part I can't blame them for is if they think that Petty is going to be a career backup, then I can't blame them for trying to upgrade with Hack.  Either way at the end of this year they have to know EXACTLY what they have with Petty and Hack and move (on) accordingly.

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

embrace the tank!

Honestly, no one making decisions right now is in my long term plan.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What makes this even better is it looks like the safeties both suck.

Everyone sucks when you have no QB, and accept playing not to win football, a losers mentality, creates bad juju, and everyone plays like the suck just like last season.  If the Jets started Petty I think the players would play better in a losing situation, losing with McCown creates excepting losing IMO.  I'd rather get embarrassed a few times while possibly moving forward as a young group instead of hanging in there with a retread career loser.

At least we know that the Jets will draft a QB next year and not wait another year to allow Petty or Hack to "develop" Jets already missed out on Bridgewater to give Geno a "chance", there will be choices next year

Just hope Kizer does well in Cleveland, SF signs Cousins in the offseason, Cutler keep sthe fins above 500

Bills and Jax will be competing for a pick  

1 minute ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

At least we know that they will draft a QB next year and not wait another year to allow Petty or Hack to "develop" Jets already missed out on Bridgewater to give Geno a "chance", there will be choices

Just hope Kizer does well in Cleveland, SF signs Cousins in the offseason 

Passing on QB's after Geno's first season was stupid. Drafting a safety at 6 was stupid. The Jets are stupid. Make an assessment year 1 of a player and go from there. 

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Everyone sucks when you have no QB, and accept playing not to win football, a losers mentality, creates bad juju, and everyone plays like the suck just like last season.  If the Jets started Petty I think the players would play better in a losing situation, losing with McCown creates excepting losing IMO.  I'd rather get embarrassed a few times while possibly moving forward as a young group instead of hanging in there with a retread career loser.

Wait, what? So now it's the QB's fault that Adams and Maye don't know how to ******* tackle?

10 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Wait, what? So now it's the QB's fault that Adams and Maye don't know how to ******* tackle?

No I'm basically agreeing with you that it was stupid to pick safeties good, or bad without having a future Franchise QB.

How dysfunctional.  ON one hand he discounts Mac's career stats esp in Clev and yet they use that measuring stick with Petty.  What a crock of BS...  Yet a 38 yr old has been QB who has a career of losing in the NFL is selected.... 

The ineptitude is disgusting and reminiscent of Kotite's rational.  

Archived