Petty was the "afterthought".  And camp did nothing to change that thought
process.  Once pre-season started and Hackenberg had that efficient game
against TEN they went full steam ahead to determine if he was ready.  The
next two games showed Hackenberg isn't ready and may never be.  The team
probably liked what Petty did but since it was against #2's & #3's they
graded him on a curve.  Nothing Bates said in that interview contradicts
those points

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

Seriously, did anyone listen to that press conference and came away with a different perspective that what is being portrayed as the truth ?  Love and hate are 2 of the strongest emotions I know and both can make you see what you want too instead of what's actually there .

You should take your own advice. You defend every decision they make. Time to face reality.

33 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Passing on QB's after Geno's first season was stupid. Drafting a safety at 6 was stupid. The Jets are stupid. Make an assessment year 1 of a player and go from there. 

You know what would happen if this team actually got serious about finding a quarterback? It would be worse than Idzik. Pitchforks, airplanes, burn the witch. Woody hates looking silly more than he likes winning. Imagine what happens when this joint gets a load of the team doing some sh*t like trade for Bradford/sign Daniel/draft Wentz.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

OK. I thought this day could not get worse, but that has to be the most depressing interview I have heard in a long time. Shocking, actually. Bates basically said:

1. There was no competition, McClown was starter from Day 1, and there wasn't anything that the others could do about it

2. Barring injury, McClown is QB for the season

3. Petty was eliminated from competition because of last season

4. All they wanted to is give Hack starting experience since Petty already had some

5. They are completely confident in McClown

6. Petty and Hack are backups....not future starters backups. Big distinction

It's just so reprehensibly unacceptable it is hard to put in words. And if you feel that way about Petty and Hack then not drafting at least one, likely two QBs to truly compete is criminally inept. But we have sure spun a bunch of cycles on the safety team

Fuuck this team. Seriously. How inept can you possibly be?

I listened to Bates presser before and subsequently after reading your post. I'd be curious what others heard because.  

I did not hear Bates say your #1, your #2, your #3, and your #6. 

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I disagree. I think what they did is right. They don't think Petty is going to be an upper tier starting QB in the league. So they looked elsewhere. When you watch Hack and Petty throw side by side, Hack has a much better arm. They needed to learn a lot more about Hack to form their opinion, there was no film on him what-so-ever.

What did they learn by letting Hack play with the 1's so long? That he isn't ready right now. He is having a hard time reading defenses. I don't know if they like the other stuff that they saw, time will tell. But they did the right thing giving him reps.

Petty needs to stay healthy. He was hurt like 3 or 4 times last year. People say he took big hits but guess what, the Jets QB is going to take big hits.

Start McCown week one, the Jets win and then we can end this silly "tank talk". This team is young and fast, they will make a lot of mistakes, but make them fast. This year is about next year and beyond.

okay then how is this different than going with either hack or petty and keeping mccown on the bench?  imo it isn't.  mccown isn't going to make this an epic season.  he's not good enough in the best of times.  at least with hack or petty the team would be looking forward to next season, and hopefully, a brighter next season.

and,btw, hack isn't going to learn how to read defenses by holding a clip board.  given mccown's record, he's not so good at it either.

2 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

As frustrating as this may be,  let's face the facts that these kids aren't in their long term plan.... they must look at the tapes and roll their eyes.

embrace the tank!

How the hell did you come up with that?  Did you even listen to Bates? 

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

Max,  I can live with their assessment of Hack and Petty, but then why McCown?  If it's about next year, why not roll with Petty?  If McCown somehow stays healthy, he's going to beat teams that are tanking.  Just like when the Jets beat Ten and they got Mariota.  Just like SF last year.  McCown could probably beat Buffalo twice, Jax, and Cle.  So hello 6th pick, good bye any chance to be relevant.

At least if Petty starts and wins games, that helps his development.  He will be on the team next year.  McCown is not.

It's about next yr for who?  You!

if it's about next yr why play Leo, or Adams etc. 

or better yet why not tell the players to dial it back this yr it's all about getting the #1 pick so we can draft the next greatest QB. 

Leo: "But what about me ending up with only 3 sacks, not making the pro bowl...you and the NFL will hold that against me come contract time...

Adams: "what about creating a positive, winning, accountable culture"

2018: Darnold walks in the door Day 1. Leo & Adams greet him and say we tanked, dialed it back and gave up $$$ for you. We better make the playoffs this yr or we're stuffing you in a locker

yes, the last part is exaggerated just like many of the things I've read in this thread   

18 minutes ago, rangerous said:

okay then how is this different than going with either hack or petty and keeping mccown on the bench?  imo it isn't.  mccown isn't going to make this an epic season.  he's not good enough in the best of times.  at least with hack or petty the team would be looking forward to next season, and hopefully, a brighter next season.

and,btw, hack isn't going to learn how to read defenses by holding a clip board.  given mccown's record, he's not so good at it either.

I think I already said twice that based on the preseason I would be starting Petty.

But they are starting McCown which is a clear indication this tank stuff has no merit.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

What makes this even better is it looks like the safeties both suck.

This seems harsh, but over-drafted in all likelihood.  They're also going to look a lot worse considering we have a bunch of #3 and #4 corners out there.

Hard to imagine how one could do worse than Idzik, but Macc is making a case.

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

I find it hard not to wish for circumstances leading to Petty having to start.  It might take injuries to both the other guys, which I don't wish on anyone, but if we go through the season without seeing if Petty CAN be as good as his last performance hinted at, that would be a shame.  If he gets a shot and fails, I can absolutely live with that and bring on McCown.  But this is just insane.  I'm seriously starting to think about which other team I can get behind and root for this season.  Titans maybe?  

Question since you mentioned this last night.  Sorry. No disrespect. How would you and your son feel if it's his game to pitch and the coach tells him "you know. I'm going to sit the starting catcher and go with this new, inexperienced kid. I know he's going to make mistakes, have a few passed balls, he's really not ready to call a good game so you're performance is going to suffer, probably take the loss but sorry we're playing for next yr". 

6 minutes ago, gEYno said:

This seems harsh, but over-drafted in all likelihood.  They're also going to look a lot worse considering we have a bunch of #3 and #4 corners out there.

Hard to imagine how one could do worse than Idzik, but Macc is making a case.

Overdrafted after a month.  God I love this place. Darnold has no chance here. None. 

Whether deserved or not, I am not seeing Macc and Bowles making it to next year.

With Lynch's "success" in SF, perhaps others are lured back to running a football team.

For the long term, the Jets need to develop and evaluate their team and create QB assets.

It would appear that, as of now, Hack is not being developed by playing in a real, live NFL game.  He would be if he plays all game against the Eagles.

Petty is injured and injury prone.  He can be a good asset to be traded, to get a comp pick for, or as a long term back up.

So it is not hard to see why they would want to start McCown game 1.  He is not starting the whole season.  He is not a winning QB with this team.  

The Bills are the biggest threat to the tank.  The Jets and McCown could beat the Bills game 1.  Starting next year, the Bills will beat on the Jets for a long time.

Great strategy.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I think I already said twice that based on the preseason I would be starting Petty.

But they are starting McCown which is a clear indication this tank stuff has no merit.

It might have no merit, but what's the goal here, specifically with the QB position? With this season and the future. Just to get to the playoffs? Do they want to put in Petty or Hack at some point no matter what? It just feels like there's no direction with the position

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Let's say that is true. Then the Jets needed to not sign McClown and do MUCH more to try and find a QB. Like drafting Mahomes or Watson at 6. Or Peterman in the 5th. Drafting Sloter in the 7th.  Even trading for someone. Not just attaching your star to McClown. Holy sweet mother of god.

They're tanking for a QB next year. Many of us have been saying this for months. It's funny to see some of you act surprised that this team is bad. Tanking teams never look good. It's going to be a long year for most and even longer year for some of you that can't grasp the plan. Darnold Darnold Darnold.

Just now, MDL_JET said:

It might have no merit, but what's the goal here, specifically with the QB position? With this season and the future. Just to get to the playoffs? Do they want to put in Petty or Hack at some point no matter what? It just feels like there's no direction with the position

I think they want some stability in the beginning. The offensive line will benefit from a veteran at the start of the season. Same for the young wide receivers. I think you are looking at a 5 game stint for McCown and then they are going to find a way to make a switch regardless.

I really don't know what the uproar is all about. They knew both these kids were mistakes like unwanted pregnancies after seeing them practice.  There is no way either  would be given the starting job.  Signing and starting McLown gives Mac the opportunity to save face and still lose all 16 games with some semblance of competing rather than being the worst team ever (0-16 Lions) ; (0-16 Browns).  It was diabolically premeditated by Mac and it will result in 'With the 1st pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, The New York Jets select.....?'

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

I think they want some stability in the beginning. The offensive line will benefit from a veteran at the start of the season. Same for the young wide receivers. I think you are looking at a 5 game stint for McCown and then they are going to find a way to make a switch regardless.

If they show that, that they have an actual plan. It'll be a miracle. Let's hope.

4 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

If they show that, that they have an actual plan. It'll be a miracle. Let's hope.

I know I am in the minority but I really do believe that both Bowles and Macc will be back in 2018. The defense has to be lights out to justify bringing back Kacy Rodgers. And they need to develop a serious amount of young talent on offense. But I think they do have a plan.

14 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

They're tanking for a QB next year. Many of us have been saying this for months. It's funny to see some of you act surprised that this team is bad. Tanking teams never look good. It's going to be a long year for most and even longer year for some of you that can't grasp the plan. Darnold Darnold Darnold.

Curveball for the plan you say is the goal: The Jets are going to win the opener.

29 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Overdrafted after a month.  God I love this place. Darnold has no chance here. None. 

If Jamal Adams is not elite, he was over-drafted as a SS at 6.  And he's already not know for coverage skills, so I'm not exactly sure what we bought.

29 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Maybe you heard this before somewhere, but "You play to win the Game".

Every time I start to believe that maybe the last decision wasn't so bad, someone in their organization opens his mouth. It is going to be a hard year to watch, both routing for and against the team. Hoping they decide to play one of the young QBs. I don't care how good they are or if they can't compete. At some point you have have to go all in. Waiting to be statistically eliminated is just a waste. There is no way this team makes it to the playoffs.

25 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Say what?? I'd like to hear where Bates said Hack and Petty had no future w/the Jets. 

I was saying if you are not going to give Petty a chance to start over a 38 year old journeyman who has the worst winning percentage in the entire NFL over the last three years then why keep him on the team?

Get guys in here who you think who are genuinely competent to take over the reigns of the team.  The canard that McCown knows the offense better than the young guys is true but silly talk because the same thing would be true if you put Joe Montana out there today. Of course McCown knows the offense better.  The question is does starting McCown help you develop for the future, it doesn't.

You think that because Petty started last year in a different offense with a team that was mailing it in should be used to critique his ability now as was stated in this interview?

Well I don't think that is fair or accurate.

And I'm not a poster who says throw folks to the lions.  Indeed I have been saying the Jets don't develop their QBs.  

In fact I was against starting Sanchez and said so then and was against putting Smith out there then and said so then; now we have QBs that we are sitting behind a poor QB.  A poor QB, not Tom Brady.

Petty should be up now, it is year three for him, how much more time is he supposed to be on the bench?  If you don't think that Petty has it get what you can move on and bring someone else in here, that is all I am saying...........

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

I guarantee with McCown playing QB the Oline will not look nearly as bad as when Hackenberg was in there.

Hackenberg had nothing to do with JPP throwing Shell to the ground with 1 arm like he was a rag doll .

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Hackenberg had nothing to do with JPP throwing Shell to the ground with 1 arm like he was a rag doll .

Hack doesn't have pocket awareness and has a slow release because of indecision. While I'm not saying McCown will make the line play better, McCown will make faster decisions. 

7 minutes ago, gEYno said:

If Jamal Adams is not elite, he was over-drafted as a SS at 6.  And he's already not know for coverage skills, so I'm not exactly sure what we bought.

He calls out the offense before the snap. So even though his stats won't show it, he makes the other 10 guys better.

Before I get slaughtered, I am kidding.

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Hack doesn't have pocket awareness and has a slow release. While I'm not saying McCown will make the line play better, McCown will make faster decisions. 

Hack may have issues but a slow release is not one of them. Did you mean holding on to the ball?

8 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Hey he did look pretty good in coverage 1 on 1 against a 6'3 TE last week.

Archived