Bates Press Conference

C Mart

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Hack may have issues but a slow release is not one of them. Did you mean holding on to the ball?

Yes, I may not have chosen my words correctly. I tried to correct it after you quoted me. He also at times does not read the defense properly.  I am sure inexperience is mostly to blame.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I was saying if you are not going to give Petty a chance to start over a 38 year old journeyman who has the worst winning percentage in the entire NFL over the last three years then why keep him on the team?

Get guys in here who you think who are genuinely competent to take over the reigns of the team.  The canard that McCown knows the offense better than the young guys is true but silly talk because the same thing would be true if you put Joe Montana out there today. Of course McCown knows the offense better.  The question is does starting McCown help you develop for the future, it doesn't.

You think that because Petty started last year in a different offense with a team that was mailing it in should be used to critique his ability now as was stated in this interview?

Well I don't think that is fair or accurate.

And I'm not a poster who says throw folks to the lions.  Indeed I have been saying the Jets don't develop their QBs.  

In fact I was against starting Sanchez and said so then and was against putting Smith out there then and said so then; now we have QBs that we are sitting behind a poor QB.  A poor QB, not Tom Brady.

Petty should be up now, it is year three for him, how much more time is he supposed to be on the bench?  If you don't think that Petty has it get what you can move on and bring someone else in here, that is all I am saying...........

Petty admitted he was learning to read defenses from video games. He admitted late last yr he had never heard of quarters coverage. Now he's trying to learn the WCO. It maybe his 3rd NFL season but that doesn't mean he's ready to start. Not all players develop at the same rate. None of us know what transpires behind the scenes in meetings, board work, film study etc. 

"Petty’s learning curve has been steep. The simplified offense at Baylor, where players never used a playbook and quarterbacks focused on only half the field at a time, is nothing like the complex system favored by Gailey.

Petty is not afraid to ask questions. He is willing to learn something from anybody.

“Today I was talking to Gilly,” Petty said, referring to safety Marcus Gilchrist, “and found out there’s a difference between two-man and quarters-man coverage. I had never heard of quarters-man before.”

34 minutes ago, gEYno said:

If Jamal Adams is not elite, he was over-drafted as a SS at 6.  And he's already not know for coverage skills, so I'm not exactly sure what we bought.

By whom? 

Louis Riddick (@LRiddickESPN)

4/18/17, 8:50 PM

J. Adams could do everything M. Hooker can do IF asked to play that role. The same could not be said the other way around. #context

ML83 (@ML7183)

3/27/17, 8:20 PM

@LRiddickESPN tape against college players. didnt test like an elite athlete...for a non premium position not taking that guy that high

can he cover? not many strong safeties worthy of that high of a pick. not a premium position...

3/27/17, 8:01 PM

Watch the tape and you tell me. twitter.com/ml7183/status/…

All college prospect tape is against other college players.They are in college. He plays multiple roles. Not a "SS".

I just watched the whole video and here are my wizened observations.

1. You can see why Bates is considered a good teacher. Seems passionate, committed, and positive.

2. He wasn't going to trash any of the three guys. As a QB coach, he has the luxury of treating each of them like they're students instead of employees. It's the HC and OC that have the pressure on them to play the Best Guy.

3. Despite all the happy talk, the one phrase he used a few times when discussing McCown vs Hack was "calling protections," which, clearly, Hackenberg was struggling with, but a veteran like McCown can handle. A QB that makes his OL look bad will soon become a pariah in the locker room. 

4. You get the feeling that Bates doesn't really love Petty at all. If I had to guess why, I'm gonna say it's because Petty isn't exactly a rocket scientist in the film room, which would turn off a position coach.

5. Bates saying that all three will "get a chance to start games this season" only confirms that there is no illusion anywhere inside the building that the team is going to be competitive.

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

OK. I thought this day could not get worse, but that has to be the most depressing interview I have heard in a long time. Shocking, actually. Bates basically said:

1. There was no competition, McClown was starter from Day 1, and there wasn't anything that the others could do about it

2. Barring injury, McClown is QB for the season

3. Petty was eliminated from competition because of last season

4. All they wanted to is give Hack starting experience since Petty already had some

5. They are completely confident in McClown

6. Petty and Hack are backups....not future starters backups. Big distinction

It's just so reprehensibly unacceptable it is hard to put in words. And if you feel that way about Petty and Hack then not drafting at least one, likely two QBs to truly compete is criminally inept. But we have sure spun a bunch of cycles on the safety team

Fuuck this team. Seriously. How inept can you possibly be?

Exactly another NFL season and the NY Jets trot out the worst QB in the NFL. 

I listened to the interview and at no point did he say what the people whining claim he said. 

They gave every opportunity to Hack to win the job and he couldn't.  Petty may have earned himself the #2 job but he isn't ready to start. 

You start the best option at QB unless you have a top 10 pick at QB.  I know people think Hack was a 1st rounder but he wasn't picked until the middle of the 2nd.  Same range as Pat White, Chad Henne, Brian Brohme, Jimmy Clauson, Brock Osweiler, Geno Smith etc...

You guys act like they missed on the #1 pick.

34 minutes ago, C Mart said:

By whom? 

4/18/17, 8:50 PM

J. Adams could do everything M. Hooker can do IF asked to play that role. The same could not be said the other way around. #context

ML83 (@ML7183)

3/27/17, 8:20 PM

@LRiddickESPN tape against college players. didnt test like an elite athlete...for a non premium position not taking that guy that high

can he cover? not many strong safeties worthy of that high of a pick. not a premium position...

3/27/17, 8:01 PM

Watch the tape and you tell me. twitter.com/ml7183/status/…

All college prospect tape is against other college players.They are in college. He plays multiple roles. Not a "SS".

By every draft profile besides Louis Riddick's, apparently.

2 hours ago, Pcola said:

Just when I think things can't get any worse, and BOOM.  There it is.

geno as a rookie 2nd round pick, started 16games and went 8-8. Hack is a 2nd yr player and looks like he can't even play football. 

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Question since you mentioned this last night.  Sorry. No disrespect. How would you and your son feel if it's his game to pitch and the coach tells him "you know. I'm going to sit the starting catcher and go with this new, inexperienced kid. I know he's going to make mistakes, have a few passed balls, he's really not ready to call a good game so you're performance is going to suffer, probably take the loss but sorry we're playing for next yr". 

If the starting catcher was as good as McCown's record suggests he is, I'd take my chances with the new guy that might be better or might be worse.  I don't agree that playing Petty is playing for next year.  I think playing Petty has some possible upside and playing McCown has mediocrity as the absolute ceiling.

I listened to the interview and at no point did he say what the people whining claim he said. 
They gave every opportunity to Hack to win the job and he couldn't.  Petty may have earned himself the #2 job but he isn't ready to start. 
You start the best option at QB unless you have a top 10 pick at QB.  I know people think Hack was a 1st rounder but he wasn't picked until the middle of the 2nd.  Same range as Pat White, Chad Henne, Brian Brohme, Jimmy Clauson, Brock Osweiler, Geno Smith etc...
You guys act like they missed on the #1 pick.

If Hack wasn't overdrafted there wouldn't be a story.

Hope Hack plays better Thursday..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

If Hack wasn't overdrafted there wouldn't be a story.

Hope Hack plays better Thursday..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I hope he does.  I hope he absolutely kills it out there.  And I hope Petty goes 18/18 3 TDS, 0 INTs and runs in a TD for good measure.  Just for the ecstasy of hearing Bowles say the young guys are improving but McCown still gives us the best chance to win.   

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Petty should definitely be starting at this point. When people have a weak schedule they say you can only play who they put in front of you. At the same time people say to temper Petty's stats because they came against backups. He can only play against the defense they put in front of him.

You are applying the analogy incorrectly IMO.  Petty gets credit for playing well against who they put in front of him but that doesn't mean he automatically earns the starting job.  It's like drafting a guy 1st overall in the NFL draft because he dominated his flag football league.  What many of the pro-Petty crowd refuse to accept is that the Jets feel that they know what they have in Petty.  Based on how this so-called competition went down it's obvious to me that they don't think he is better than McCown and has less potential than Hackenberg.  They may be completely wrong but that's where we are.

1 hour ago, Barkus said:

geno as a rookie 2nd round pick, started 16games and went 8-8. Hack is a 2nd yr player and looks like he can't even play football. 

This is very, very true.  Hack was an awful pick in the second round.   A second round QB should look at least as good as Petty looks this year.  

3 minutes ago, legler82 said:

You are applying the analogy incorrectly IMO.  Petty gets credit for playing well against who they put in front of him but that doesn't mean he automatically earns the starting job.  It's like drafting a guy 1st overall in the NFL draft because he dominated his flag football league.  What many of the pro-Petty crowd refuse to accept is that the Jets feel that they know what they have in Petty.  Based on how this so-called competition went down it's obvious to me that they don't think he is better than McCown and has less potential than Hackenberg.  They may be completely wrong but that's where we are.

I believe that is entirely what they feel about Petty.

2 minutes ago, legler82 said:

I refer you to this analysis of the Bates presser.  Look at the logical inconsistency of the three quotes I highlighted that speak directly to your points.  

1) It was a completely open and fair competition.  There was no presumed starter.

2) reps count no matter when they occurred and against whom.

3) Petty did not play well enough to take the job from McCown despite his stats in the Giants game.

So if they came out and said what you said, that would be fine.  But either they are lamely trying to sell lies that nobody is buying, or they actually believe the sh*t they are spouting.  In either case, they are incompetent.  I don't really see the third door here.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I believe that is entirely what they feel about Petty.

Then just say something to that effect.  Be nice but say he isn't ready instead of trying to feed us bullcrap that only keeps making the situation more frustrating.  

I know he might suck in a game situation.  I saw it happen with plenty of preseason warriors.  But either let us see him fail, or tell us why he's in the doghouse.  Saying it was a fair competition is insulting.  Do they realize the NFL televised the Giants game and how stupid that makes what they say sound?  

Just now, nycdan said:

Then just say something to that effect.  Be nice but say he isn't ready instead of trying to feed us bullcrap that only keeps making the situation more frustrating.  

I know he might suck in a game situation.  I saw it happen with plenty of preseason warriors.  But either let us see him fail, or tell us why he's in the doghouse.  Saying it was a fair competition is insulting.  Do they realize the NFL televised the Giants game and how stupid that makes what they say sound?  

I get what you are saying but 1) They have to hedge their bet a bit because there is so little talent on the roster, especially at the QB position and 2) I don't think they need to speak the truth publicly. Rex always did that and got killed for it.

Just now, Maxman said:

I get what you are saying but 1) They have to hedge their bet a bit because there is so little talent on the roster, especially at the QB position and 2) I don't think they need to speak the truth publicly. Rex always did that and got killed for it.

Fair enough.  But learn to spin better lies.  The ones they are telling are so easily debunked that they just look incompetent.  And IIRC Rex mainly got killed for hyping up players while they were actively negotiating their contracts.  He was a bumbling fool of a different sort.  We haven't really had good fortune with coaches lately (and by lately, I mean the last 18 years or so).  

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This regime has been lying from the start.  

-"competitive rebuild"

-"building through the draft"

-"we are not tanking"

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Fair enough.  But learn to spin better lies.  The ones they are telling are so easily debunked that they just look incompetent.  And IIRC Rex mainly got killed for hyping up players while they were actively negotiating their contracts.  He was a bumbling fool of a different sort.  We haven't really had good fortune with coaches lately (and by lately, I mean the last 18 years or so).  

Well the part with Rex that I mean was he was pretty honest about what they were going to do.

I feel like Bowles is getting better, his press conferences now give out no info. He messed up after year one saying Fitz would be the starter.

Otis Livingston had to ask him before the 2nd preseason game who was starting and that was 2 minutes before the game was about to start lol.

Just now, Maxman said:

Well the part with Rex that I mean was he was pretty honest about what they were going to do.

I feel like Bowles is getting better, his press conferences now give out no info. He messed up after year one saying Fitz would be the starter.

Otis Livingston had to ask him before the 2nd preseason game who was starting and that was 2 minutes before the game was about to start lol.

It's entirely possible they hadn't decided yet.  Maybe they still needed to 'sit down and talk about it'. :)

Glad he's learning.  It will take a lot for me to pivot back to liking Bowles.  Right now, I'm firmly in the 'fly the banner' camp but I'll try to keep an open mind.  

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

It's entirely possible they hadn't decided yet.  Maybe they still needed to 'sit down and talk about it'. :)

Glad he's learning.  It will take a lot for me to pivot back to liking Bowles.  Right now, I'm firmly in the 'fly the banner' camp but I'll try to keep an open mind.  

In many ways he is going to get a pass for the offense because the talent isn't there. He got exactly what he wanted on defense so that will be about 70% of his final grade in my book.

I for one have NOoooo Petty love as such, that isn't the point to me.   

This is not about tanking because the Jets are not doing that, if they were they would put one of the young guys out there, who they don't feel is ready yet to start, and be done with it.  

I actually get their thinking, I do, but if they are wrong in this year's draft concerning a QB it could be a very bumpy ride.

They obviously believe that it could take at least 4 years for a new QB to be ready for the field absent something extrodinary happening and that may be true so the real test of their plan is not this year but next, I was hoping for a quickening of that process and they are saying nope, four years it is at lest at it pertains to Petty and we still are waiting on Hack. 

7 hours ago, win4ever said:

I hate to bring real life tragedy into this, but the Jets are just a disaster. 

Air France flight 447 crashed in the Atlantic a few years ago (and many other flights have done so for similar reasons) and the main reason was a catastrophic loss of lift which caused the plane to stall and eventually fall out of the sky.  Pilots are taught that in the event of a stall, point the nose of the play downward (even when they are losing altitude) so they can gain momentum with the increase in air speed, and create lift under the wings and then level off.  The inexperienced co-captain on the flight instead thought the flight was losing speed and altitude, yanked back on the controls (Airbus has  similar sidesticks to the joysticks people use in video games) because all he could think about was the very short term problem of losing altitude.  Because of that pilot error, the plane had a high approach degree (nose pointed up) which caused further loss of airspeed, and imminent disaster.  

Well the Jets are basically in the same situation in terms of football (and again by no means does football compare to a real life tragedy, completely different magnitudes) because this team is losing right now with forward momentum being stalled.  The correct approach is to tank (thus point the team downward) and build up momentum so the team can be on the upswing before it crashes (create lift).  Instead, we have the coach who is yanking back on the joystick as much as possible going for very short term solutions to an issue far greater, trying to bring the team back up by putting in McCown, which gives off the impression that we're ascending.  Unfortunately, it's just delaying the inevitable, and the wrong course of action in such a situation.  The Jets needed to tank, start their youngsters and hope one of them could improve, or be bad enough that they build momentum, instead they keep yanking the yolk up in a fruitless effort.  

You just explained one of my greatest life-long fears (plane crashing) and eloquently correlated it to one of the VERY FEW things I still inexplicably love in my life. I just threw out my back during sex 20 minutes ago and am writhing in PAIN right now . . . and you just made me feel WORSE AFTER reading YOUR post. FML. 

Phuck this team. 

8 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

You just explained one of my greatest life-long fears and eloquently correlated it to one of the VERY FEW things I still inexplicably love in my life. I just threw out my back during sex 20 minutes ago and am writhing in PAIN right now . . . and you just made me feel WORSE AFTER reading YOUR post. FML. 

Phuck this team. 

I actually love the idea of flying, but I'm not the best with heights.  It's shocking to find out how many crashes are caused by pilot error (There was one that crashed in the Everglades because the pilots were too busy trying to fix a broken bulb on the instrument panel and neglected the plane steadily going down- Eastern Air 401).  

After today's news my interest for this season took a major nosedive.  I wanted to see if Petty/Hack could look good or at least develop a bit, but there is hardly any joy in watching McCown and Bowles lead this team into mediocrity.  At some point I would like to have competent management on the team that can provide some kind of hope.  

10 hours ago, nycdan said:

I find it hard not to wish for circumstances leading to Petty having to start.  It might take injuries to both the other guys, which I don't wish on anyone, but if we go through the season without seeing if Petty CAN be as good as his last performance hinted at, that would be a shame.  If he gets a shot and fails, I can absolutely live with that and bring on McCown.  But this is just insane.  I'm seriously starting to think about which other team I can get behind and root for this season.  Titans maybe?  

You can watch the Browns w me

10 hours ago, C Mart said:

It's about next yr for who?  You!

if it's about next yr why play Leo, or Adams etc. 

or better yet why not tell the players to dial it back this yr it's all about getting the #1 pick so we can draft the next greatest QB. 

Leo: "But what about me ending up with only 3 sacks, not making the pro bowl...you and the NFL will hold that against me come contract time...

Adams: "what about creating a positive, winning, accountable culture"

2018: Darnold walks in the door Day 1. Leo & Adams greet him and say we tanked, dialed it back and gave up $$$ for you. We better make the playoffs this yr or we're stuffing you in a locker

yes, the last part is exaggerated just like many of the things I've read in this thread   

So how long do you think it's gonna take before the defense realizes the offense is so bad that regardless of how they play, this team can't win more than 5 games.  Lucky for Bowles they dumped all the veterans who would have checked out before Halloween.  And to your point, what happens to Leo, or Adams, or Lee if they blow their knees out inDecenber and have to miss most of the next season?  Will all the effort they are putting in to win 5 games instead of 2 really be worth it?

Just like the Jets to half ass everything.  You dump all the veterans on this team to go to the "youth movement" only to go with a 38 yo scrub QB.  This FO and HC staff are a joke.  Again I realize what is going on this year is because of Woody's idiotic "competitive rebuild" from two years ago.  But they've done all the hard work.  No one in the league would blame them for starting Petty and throwing Hack in there after our bye.  

If they were so concerned with winning a few extra games why the he'll not over pay for Glennon or Cutler?  They would have at least given the players on the team some semblance of hope for the future rather than their current motivation of playing hard for a few games so they can use that film to get onto an organization that has a clue next year.

9 hours ago, Barkus said:

I agree with you.  Geno won a ton of games that year too.  But the Jets ruined him.  My comment was made with the opinion that Petty is the better choice than Geno right now.  

But the HC apparently hates the QBs drafted by Macc and thus refuses to play them.  

Like last August, Petty looks to be the best QB on our roster.  By the time he got to start, the rest of the team had given up.  But that is supposedly what he is being graded at right now which is the dumbest thing I have ever heard a coach admit.

I just listened to this, it basically sounds to me that he is saying McCown is the only QB in the room we trust to go out there, and run our system, and the future starting QB for the Jets is not on this team plain, and simple.

But he also sounds resigned to the fact that one, or both will have to play this year based on McCowns injury history, sucktitude history, and low expectations for the team, and putting in the kids when the team is out of it to get experience (hopefully), and when that time comes they don't expect much, but will do their best to get them ready for it.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

I just listened to this, it basically sounds to me that he is saying McCown is the only QB in the room we trust to go out there, and run our system, and the future starting QB for the Jets is not on this team plain, and simple.

But he also sounds resigned to the fact that one, or both will have to play this year based on McCowns injury history, sucktitude history, and low expectations for the team, and putting in the kids when the team is out of it to get experience (hopefully), and when that time comes they don't expect much, but will do their best to get them ready for it.

Basically what I got too, and I don't get the hysterics from the OP and others.  That's a plan that makes sense.  Even if organization is tanking season, players and coaches can't completely, and McCown is starter now because coaches and players job is to win games and right now he gives best chance.  I also got the sense from Bates and especially Bowles that this is a decision for week one, and definitely open to changing during season.  Contrast with other teams, like Broncos where Vance Joseph said Siemian is "permanent" starting QB.  

15 hours ago, johnnysd said:

OK. I thought this day could not get worse, but that has to be the most depressing interview I have heard in a long time. Shocking, actually. Bates basically said:

1. There was no competition, McClown was starter from Day 1, and there wasn't anything that the others could do about it

2. Barring injury, McClown is QB for the season

3. Petty was eliminated from competition because of last season

4. All they wanted to is give Hack starting experience since Petty already had some

5. They are completely confident in McClown

6. Petty and Hack are backups....not future starters backups. Big distinction

It's just so reprehensibly unacceptable it is hard to put in words. And if you feel that way about Petty and Hack then not drafting at least one, likely two QBs to truly compete is criminally inept. But we have sure spun a bunch of cycles on the safety team

Fuuck this team. Seriously. How inept can you possibly be?

This part I disagree with....if I am the GM and feel like the QB's in the last draft pale in comparison to the ones in next years draft then I bite the bullet and get one next year. We were gonna suck this year either way.....With the odds being what they are on QB's flopping you have a better chance for success when it looks like there may actually be 3 or 4 good ones as opposed to a bunch that well...let just say wasn't as favorably looked upon by many competent people not associated with the Jets. 

If you only got one last bullet to fire then you fire at a crowd of fat people, not at a crowed of anorexics....better chance to get a hit. No offense to anyone. 

Archived