Bowles, "McCown gives us the best chance to win right now."

Maxman

New York Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles, 8.28

On if he has named a starting quarterback…

Yes, Josh McCown will be our starter Week One.

On what went into that decision…

Just a lot overall, he gives us the best chance to win right now.

On who will be the backup quarterback…

We haven’t decided on one yet.

On when he decided to name a starting quarterback…

We talked about it after film, we talked with the coaches and came to an agreement.

On if he has concerns with the amount of time McCown has played in the Preseason…

No, (McCown) gets a lot of practice time so, I’m not worried about that.

On if McCown will play Thursday…

All of them are up to play Thursday as far as players, and we will see who plays but, all of them are up to play.

On if Bryce Petty will be available for Thursday’s game…

Hopefully, yeah.

On if it was McCown’s job to lose during the Preseason…

No, it was even because we hadn’t played any games and obviously I wanted to see (Bryce Petty) and (Christian Hackenberg) play. I’ve seen Josh (McCown) play and I was with Josh before and I know what he can do. I just wanted to see if the other ones will go ahead and step up and take the spot, but there was no starter going into training camp.

On if he has any regrets not giving Petty more reps with the starters during the Preseason…

No.

Why not…

We had our quarterback ready to go. It doesn’t matter when you get in to play, you get the same amount of time, and you perform.

On how close is the margin between Josh McCown and the other two quarterback…

I don’t know how close, I’m not going to get into that. But, Josh is our starter.

On if he was disappointed Christian Hackenberg didn’t win the starting position…

It wasn’t disappointing. Obviously (Christian) was the only one that hasn’t played in the regular season game either. The other two played in it so, they had a little more poise so, everything he was seeing, going out there against some great defenses the past two weeks, he saw for the first and second time but, he got better mentally and he got better in somethings to learn from so, it wasn’t disappointing. It was a learning experience.

On how he feels Hackenberg can get better during the regular season…

Get better from watching and learning and (Hackenberg) will have some opportunities in practice, not as much as he’s had in the preseason but, he will have some opportunities in practice. You get better as you watch as well.  

On when he will decide on the number two quarterback and what will go into that decision…

Maybe sometime next week, I don’t have a decision on deciding the number two. We can go up until game time before that one is done but, we’ll see how this weekend goes, we’ll meet up on it next week and we’ll go from there.

On if he will keep all three quarterbacks active on game days…

It’s too early to tell. We have to discuss all that next week. We haven’t even got into cuts and having who up, and who down so, we’ll get into that next week.

On how he made the announcement in naming a starting quarterback…

All the quarterbacks know. The team knows as well so, we move on from there but, they should play no matter who the quarterback is.

On if all three quarterbacks will be on the Week One roster…

Like I said, we haven’t done anything with cuts and anything else so, it’s not fair to say or not say that right now.

On if he expects to not cut any of the three quarterbacks…

I expect a lot of things but, this is football, this is a big business. Right now, you count all three of them being here but, we’ll see what happens this weekend.

On his thoughts about Petty’s development or does he take it with a grain of salt because it was against backups in the preseason…

No, he’s had legitimate improvement all of training camp so, it wasn’t just in the game. You see it in practice, his maturity, and the way the game is slowing down for him so, it didn’t matter who’s out there.

On if he thinks Hackenberg can be a starting quarterback in this league…

I have faith that he is getting better. If the opportunity presents itself to where he gets to prove himself again, I’m sure he will step up and get better each week.

On his thoughts on the recent transactions…

Well, we wanted more competition at the long snapper position and we needed another corner with some legs because we wanted to take a look at somebody this week.

On what went into the decision to claim Kony Ealy…

It’s hard to let good pass rushers go so, we wanted to see for ourselves what we had in him.

On where Ealy fits in the defense…

He’s a 4-3 defensive end but, we play a lot of sub packages so, he’ll have a lot of places to play in that.

On why McCown gives the team the best chance to win…

Again, he has the best grasp of the offense right now. (Petty) and (Hackenberg) got significantly better but, (McCown) still has the best grasp of the offense right now.

On if Josh McCown gives the young players around him the best chance to develop…

Well, (Petty) and (Hackenberg) give the young players a chance to develop as well. Josh, from an experience stand point, knows more, but that’s not why we made him the starter. We put him to start because he gives us the best chance from his talent, he’s proven that this spring and this summer so, he gives us the best chance that way.

On what McCown has to do to hold on to the starting position this season…

I would say, if we are not winning any games, you have to win obviously, this is a production business.

On why Morris Claiborne didn’t practice today…

It’s just a sore shoulder. He just has to get well, nothing more than that. 

On if there is a concern Claiborne could miss week one …

Not at this time.

On if Lorenzo Mauldin will be available Thursday night…

Not sure yet.

On if Mauldin practiced at all today…

No.

On if he thinks it’s unconventional to play starters in the final Preseason game…

No, I don’t think it’s unconventional to play starters, I’ve played starters in the fourth preseason game. Everybody is up to play and they all have been noticed that they are up to play and if I need to pull somebody before that I’ll do it but, they are all ready to play.

On if he has any additional information on Leonard Williams’ injury…

It’s just a sprain.

On if he is concerned with the injuries to Eric Tomlinson, Jordan Leggett, and Jason Vander Laan…

No, its training camp, it happens. They’ll be back for week one.

On if Leggett, Tomlinson and Vander Laan all will be back for Week One…

Yeah, I would say so.

On if he is satisfied with where Hackenberg is in his development after spending a second round pick on him…

It’s not the draft pick we’re worried about, it’s the development of the quarterback. Like I said, the first year he did not play at all, this year he got some significant playing time. He has some things to learn from that he’ll get better from.

On if he does not expect a draft pick from the earlier rounds to develop faster than a later round draft pick…

No, they all develop differently.

On is there is any injury concerns regarding Williams for Week One…

No.

On if Williams is in a cast…

No, it’s a wrap.

On who he seeks input from and how much input he takes when discussing the quarterback decision…

You listen, you hear everybody out. Obviously if it’s even, I’ll make the decision myself, but we were pretty much on the same page and we’ll sit down and discuss it.

On what he would say to the idea that it is not a good sign for Hackenberg’s development if he was not able to beat out McCown…

I would say that he’s learning the offense and he didn’t have enough playing time yet. We got him some significant playing time. It has nothing to do with his development. He’s 22-years old, he has time to grow and he’ll grow from it.

On if he thinks that people are making too big of a deal regarding Hackenberg not playing yet…

(That is) not my call or my concern.

On if the view on a player differs based on where the player was selected…

Not unless you’re in New York City. (Joking). It’s kind of viewed the same.

On if he believes the Jets are closer to finding a franchise quarterback now than they were before training camp opened…

That’s kind of a strange question, but until we (go) 16-0, you have a franchise quarterback. If you don’t, I guess you don’t.

Josh McCown will be the Jets' Week 1 quarterback.

McCown will be one of the worst, if not the worst, starting quarterbacks in the league, but Christian Hackenberg would have been one of the worst starters of all time. The Jets had no choice. They gave Hackenberg every chance to show improvement this summer. Instead, he went all the way off the rails. One of the most brittle players in football, McCown has zero shot at making 16 starts during his age-38 campaign. Bryce Petty will likely be the next man up, though the Jets have yet to announce the No. 2. Gang Green threatens to be historically bad on offense in 2017.

No, it was even because we hadn’t played any games and obviously I wanted to see (Bryce Petty) and (Christian Hackenberg) play. I’ve seen Josh (McCown) play and I was with Josh before and I know what he can do. I just wanted to see if the other ones will go ahead and step up and take the spot, but there was no starter going into training camp.

NICE, TODD.  LIE RIGHT TO THEIR FACES.

On if he has any regrets not giving Petty more reps with the starters during the Preseason…

No.

THERE...THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

Why not…

We had our quarterback ready to go. It doesn’t matter when you get in to play, you get the same amount of time, and you perform.

SO IF I GET THIS RIGHT, 15-18 with 3 TDs and a perfect QBR against the 2nd stringers counts the same as if it were against the first stringers, but it wasn't good enough to 'take the spot' away from McCown who was NOT the presumed starter to begin with.  GOT IT.  MAKES PERFECT SENSE!

14 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Ah yes, the Packers do not have a franchise QB because they haven't gone 16-0. I'm going to enjoy every loss this year if it means the end of Todd Bowles.

End of everything and everyone involved with this franchise. I can't take it anymore.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

New York Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles, 8.28

On if he has named a starting quarterback…

Yes, Josh McCown will be our starter Week One.

On what went into that decision…

Just a lot overall, he gives us the best chance to win right now.

On who will be the backup quarterback…

We haven’t decided on one yet.

On when he decided to name a starting quarterback…

We talked about it after film, we talked with the coaches and came to an agreement.

On if he has concerns with the amount of time McCown has played in the Preseason…

No, (McCown) gets a lot of practice time so, I’m not worried about that.

On if McCown will play Thursday…

All of them are up to play Thursday as far as players, and we will see who plays but, all of them are up to play.

On if Bryce Petty will be available for Thursday’s game…

Hopefully, yeah.

No.

Why not…

On how close is the margin between Josh McCown and the other two quarterback…

I don’t know how close, I’m not going to get into that. But, Josh is our starter.

On if he was disappointed Christian Hackenberg didn’t win the starting position…

It wasn’t disappointing. Obviously (Christian) was the only one that hasn’t played in the regular season game either. The other two played in it so, they had a little more poise so, everything he was seeing, going out there against some great defenses the past two weeks, he saw for the first and second time but, he got better mentally and he got better in somethings to learn from so, it wasn’t disappointing. It was a learning experience.

On how he feels Hackenberg can get better during the regular season…

Get better from watching and learning and (Hackenberg) will have some opportunities in practice, not as much as he’s had in the preseason but, he will have some opportunities in practice. You get better as you watch as well.  

On when he will decide on the number two quarterback and what will go into that decision…

Maybe sometime next week, I don’t have a decision on deciding the number two. We can go up until game time before that one is done but, we’ll see how this weekend goes, we’ll meet up on it next week and we’ll go from there.

On if he will keep all three quarterbacks active on game days…

It’s too early to tell. We have to discuss all that next week. We haven’t even got into cuts and having who up, and who down so, we’ll get into that next week.

On how he made the announcement in naming a starting quarterback…

All the quarterbacks know. The team knows as well so, we move on from there but, they should play no matter who the quarterback is.

On if all three quarterbacks will be on the Week One roster…

Like I said, we haven’t done anything with cuts and anything else so, it’s not fair to say or not say that right now.

On if he expects to not cut any of the three quarterbacks…

I expect a lot of things but, this is football, this is a big business. Right now, you count all three of them being here but, we’ll see what happens this weekend.

On his thoughts about Petty’s development or does he take it with a grain of salt because it was against backups in the preseason…

No, he’s had legitimate improvement all of training camp so, it wasn’t just in the game. You see it in practice, his maturity, and the way the game is slowing down for him so, it didn’t matter who’s out there.

On if he thinks Hackenberg can be a starting quarterback in this league…

I have faith that he is getting better. If the opportunity presents itself to where he gets to prove himself again, I’m sure he will step up and get better each week.

On his thoughts on the recent transactions…

Well, we wanted more competition at the long snapper position and we needed another corner with some legs because we wanted to take a look at somebody this week.

On what went into the decision to claim Kony Ealy…

It’s hard to let good pass rushers go so, we wanted to see for ourselves what we had in him.

On where Ealy fits in the defense…

He’s a 4-3 defensive end but, we play a lot of sub packages so, he’ll have a lot of places to play in that.

On why McCown gives the team the best chance to win…

Again, he has the best grasp of the offense right now. (Petty) and (Hackenberg) got significantly better but, (McCown) still has the best grasp of the offense right now.

On if Josh McCown gives the young players around him the best chance to develop…

Well, (Petty) and (Hackenberg) give the young players a chance to develop as well. Josh, from an experience stand point, knows more, but that’s not why we made him the starter. We put him to start because he gives us the best chance from his talent, he’s proven that this spring and this summer so, he gives us the best chance that way.

On what McCown has to do to hold on to the starting position this season…

I would say, if we are not winning any games, you have to win obviously, this is a production business.

On why Morris Claiborne didn’t practice today…

It’s just a sore shoulder. He just has to get well, nothing more than that. 

On if there is a concern Claiborne could miss week one …

Not at this time.

On if Lorenzo Mauldin will be available Thursday night…

Not sure yet.

On if Mauldin practiced at all today…

No.

On if he thinks it’s unconventional to play starters in the final Preseason game…

No, I don’t think it’s unconventional to play starters, I’ve played starters in the fourth preseason game. Everybody is up to play and they all have been noticed that they are up to play and if I need to pull somebody before that I’ll do it but, they are all ready to play.

On if he has any additional information on Leonard Williams’ injury…

It’s just a sprain.

On if he is concerned with the injuries to Eric Tomlinson, Jordan Leggett, and Jason Vander Laan…

No, its training camp, it happens. They’ll be back for week one.

On if Leggett, Tomlinson and Vander Laan all will be back for Week One…

Yeah, I would say so.

On if he is satisfied with where Hackenberg is in his development after spending a second round pick on him…

It’s not the draft pick we’re worried about, it’s the development of the quarterback. Like I said, the first year he did not play at all, this year he got some significant playing time. He has some things to learn from that he’ll get better from.

On if he does not expect a draft pick from the earlier rounds to develop faster than a later round draft pick…

No, they all develop differently.

On is there is any injury concerns regarding Williams for Week One…

No.

On if Williams is in a cast…

No, it’s a wrap.

On who he seeks input from and how much input he takes when discussing the quarterback decision…

You listen, you hear everybody out. Obviously if it’s even, I’ll make the decision myself, but we were pretty much on the same page and we’ll sit down and discuss it.

On what he would say to the idea that it is not a good sign for Hackenberg’s development if he was not able to beat out McCown…

I would say that he’s learning the offense and he didn’t have enough playing time yet. We got him some significant playing time. It has nothing to do with his development. He’s 22-years old, he has time to grow and he’ll grow from it.

On if he thinks that people are making too big of a deal regarding Hackenberg not playing yet…

(That is) not my call or my concern.

On if the view on a player differs based on where the player was selected…

Not unless you’re in New York City. (Joking). It’s kind of viewed the same.

On if he believes the Jets are closer to finding a franchise quarterback now than they were before training camp opened…

That’s kind of a strange question, but until we (go) 16-0, you have a franchise quarterback. If you don’t, I guess you don’t.

Todd, here's a clue: the Jets have NO chance of winning this season, no matter who's under center. Have you noticed that, despite Macc's absurd denials, the team is BUILT to LOSE?

I know this isn't a news flash (to everyone except Bowles, apparently), but the most we can hope for is that the defense allows the team to lose each game with some shred of dignity and that someone does something on offense to give us some kind of hope that Darnold will have at least one playmaker next season to work with. At this point, I'd be happy if we keep the score within 10 points or something in every game.

Archived