Petty Politics Hurting Bryce?

JetNation

IMG_1157.jpg

When head coach Todd Bowles met with the New York media yesterday to announce his starting quarterback, the name many fans were hoping to hear was Bryce Petty.  As you probably know by now, it wasn’t Petty, but Josh McCown who was tabbed for the Jets season opener in Buffalo on September 10th.

IMG_6122-300x254.jpg

Josh McCown has thrown just three passes this pre-season, but that was enough for Todd Bowles to make him the team’s starter.

Now it seems that not only has Petty lost out on the team’s starting job, but will have to wait to hear from Bowles and company as to whether or not he or Christian Hackenberg will be backing up McCown when the season kicks off. Clearly a more egregious oversight than going with McCown to begin with, and should Petty be made the team’s third quarterback, we’ll have to start wondering who is really making the calls at 1 Jets drive.

Chosen in the 4th round of the 2015 draft (103rd overall), the team doesn’t have as much invested in Petty as they do in Hackenberg, a former 2nd round pick two seasons ago (51st overall).

Whether or not Hackenberg or Petty ever amount to anything, which the may not, is irrelevant at this point.  What is relevant is that we know as of right now, Petty has been far more capable of delivering the football quickly and on target than Hackenberg has, and it hasn’t been close.

We pointed out Petty’s improving performance despite a lack of reps a couple of weeks ago right here, but it seems that outplaying Hackenberg both in practice and in games has done little to help Petty’s cause.

Yes, the detractors will immediately point to the fact that Petty has been playing against other team’s bottom of the roster players, but does that mean that completing 66% of your passes should be less important than a quarterback who is taking unnecessary sacks, throwing suicide balls to his receivers and is frequently off target by a wide margin should be ignored, as has been the case with Hackenberg?

One quarterback looking completely lost and ineffective against first, second and third string defenders should not even come close to outweighing another quarterback looking poised and confident while delivering passes on target outside of 10 yards against second, third and fourth-string defenses.

IMG_7394-1-300x186.jpg

Bryce Petty has far outplayed Christian Hackenberg this pre-season, though it may not have done him any good.

While Hackenberg’s completion percentage is a respectable 61.5%, but his average yards per pass of 5.1 yards reveals just how much success he’s had in throwing the ball inside of ten yards, regularly missing passes down the field when he rarely attempts one.

Meanwhile, Petty’s average yards per attempt is almost double that at 8.9 yards per attempt, placing him sixth in the NFL this pre-season among quarterbacks with at least 20 attempts.

Again, keeping in mind that it’s only the pre-season and defenses won’t be as complex as they will during the regular season, the number one factor in determining who lands where on the depth chart should be execution, not draft slot.

In addition, if we want to apply the excuse of one guy playing against back-ups, how do you then ignore the fact that Petty is playing with back ups, whereas Hackenberg is playing with the team’s best pass catchers?

This isn’t to say that Hackenberg’s struggles are totally on him.  Pass protection has broken down far too often for Hackenberg to have any sustained success, but it has been good enough at times to allow him to make plays and he hasn’t come through the way Petty has.

So now Petty will sit and wait to find out if his standing on the team’s depth chart will be about performance, or potential and politics.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
tuQMVYBdvag

Click here to read the full story...

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

How the back up spot hasn't been given to Petty is beyond me.

Hack looked completely lost out there.

I think it will be determined Thursday night.  Hackenberg will play against the same level of competition that Petty has been playing against.  Lets see if he plays better.  He did get a TD on Saturday in the 2nd half.

Petty threw for 250 yards, 3 TDs, and had it not been the 4th down try, would have accounted for 24 points, in less than 20 minutes.

Petty EARNED an opportunity.  The only thing Hack has going for him is the FO was dumb enough to use a 2nd pick on him.

The injury hurt his chances, too. He's shown flashes but has trouble staying healthy. Regardless, I think it's inevitable that we'll see all three QBs start at some point this year. McCown tends to get himself hurt, too, and the offense they're surrounding him with isn't going to help him much there. 

51 minutes ago, slats said:

The injury hurt his chances, too. He's shown flashes but has trouble staying healthy. Regardless, I think it's inevitable that we'll see all three QBs start at some point this year. McCown tends to get himself hurt, too, and the offense they're surrounding him with isn't going to help him much there. 

Possible, but his current injury is supposed to be healed up by the owner.

We will see all three, but every snap McCiwn takes is one Hack doesn't.

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Possible, but his current injury is supposed to be healed up by the owner.

We will see all three, but every snap McCiwn takes is one Hack doesn't.

Woody Johnson is doing knee rehab now? lol....

5 hours ago, slats said:

I think that is a huge factor. Same for the reason why McDougle was traded.

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

How the back up spot hasn't been given to Petty is beyond me.

Hack looked completely lost out there.

Outside of the pick 6 (not counting the second one which was on Robby) I thought Hack had an excellent preseason

Just now, Philc1 said:

Outside of the pick 6 (not counting the second one which was on Robby) I thought Hack had an excellent preseason

I wouldn't say it was excellent. And you can't take out a terrible play and grade him on it. Just like people aren't fair when they say outside of Leonard Williams, Macc's drafts aren't good.

Everyone in the NFL gets graded on the entirety of their work. Hack looked good in the first game. Really bad in the last two. He is going to play a lot on Thursday. Playing well against backups would be a good start for Hack to rebound.

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Excellent, you say?  Interesting.

Just now, AFJF said:

Excellent, you say?  Interesting.

This time next year Mac will be fielding offers including multiple firsts for Hack or Petty.  We have 2 extremely athletic extremely bright young qb's on the roster and both will display their skills this season

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

This time next year Mac will be fielding offers including multiple firsts for Hack or Petty.  We have 2 extremely athletic extremely bright young qb's on the roster and both will display their skills this season

Man. This is something. But you know what... I like where your head's at.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I wouldn't say it was excellent. And you can't take out a terrible play and grade him on it. Just like people aren't fair when they say outside of Leonard Williams, Macc's drafts aren't good.

Everyone in the NFL gets graded on the entirety of their work. Hack looked good in the first game. Really bad in the last two. He is going to play a lot on Thursday. Playing well against backups would be a good start for Hack to rebound.

But just like we can't take out the INT , I don't hear anyone talking about the long pass to Robbie that should have been either a TD or interference . That could have made Hack's stats look a lot better. 

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Hey if you want us to believe that you aren't trolling, we are going to need you not to troll.

I understand that ball placement dictates that the 2nd pick-6 was not on Hackenberg, but I don't understand how people think that should have been a completion.  It touched the kids hands sure, but he got crushed and it was obvious he was going to get crushed.  Jerry Rice would have been looking for his liver and not catching that one.  

Along the same lines, Robbie Anderson is a frail dude.  Guys are tugging him all over the place.  The team should have a video guy make a reel to send to the league every week because he is so skinny he isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt and he is going to look like he is getting tossed like a rag doll in slo-mo. 

Good title. 

The STH's that actually show up to games, I don't blame anyone that doesn't this year btw, will not stand for Petty being buried very long.

Bowles and Macc will hear the Petty chants loud and clear... even if it is from 40K or less.

Yeah, the same GM that drafted Petty is not giving him a fair shot....

Perhaps Petty looked good because he was playing against scrubs. Look at how hack looked against scrubs on final drive of game last week. Not saying he isn't better than hack but I'm pretty sure Petty would have looked awful if he had started last week's game also. It's not like we're hearing great reports on him from camp when they all play against the same players.

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Only this fanbase obsesses over crap backup QBs

Not sure I'd say wanting the better of two young QB's to start on a very bad team is actually "obsessing".

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Not sure I'd say wanting the better of two young QB's to start on a very bad team is actually "obsessing".

Desperately looking for traits in a 26 year old jag backup QB who couldn't beat anybody out for the starting Job in college or the pros and making excuses for him is obsessing.

All 3 of them suck

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Desperately looking for traits in a 26 year old jag backup QB who couldn't beat anybody out for the starting Job in college or the pros and making excuses for him is obsessing.

All 3 of them suck

He would have won the starting job if this had been a legitimate decision.

Just now, Larz said:

All 3 of them suck

They do, but why not start the guy better guy who isn't about to start his 18th season?

If he's the no. 3 behind Hack, it also shows Bowles hasn't learned from his mistakes in starting/playing guys based on salary and draft slot.

Archived