Testy Todd; Bowles Lukewarm on Hackenberg’s Future, Takes Subtle jab at NY Spotlight

JetNation

IMG_7000.jpg

Todd Bowles had just announced to the New York media and the football world that his week 1 starting quarterback was going to be veteran journeyman Josh McCown.  The head coach had to know he would be peppered with questions about McCown and his other two quarterbacks, Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty.

Even still, when the subject turned to Hackenberg one time too many, Bowles offered a terse response, giving us an ever so small peek at just how he feels about addressing the progress, or lack thereof, on an all too regular basis of the QB during an exchange with Jets beat writer Dan Leberfeld.

Leberfeld: Do you think there are too many people making too big a deal about the 51st pick in the draft not playing yet? He was not a top-five first round pick.

Bowles: Not my call or my concern.

Leberfeld: But does that factor in if you pick a guy first overall as a quarterback, the world view can be a little bit different than if he’s picked in the middle of the second round.

Bowles: Unless you’re in New York City <pause> kind of viewed the same.

As irritated as he may be by the New York media and fan base wanting to see Christian Hackenberg under center, to imply that either is insisting Hackenberg’s treatment be on par with a number one overall pick is an absurd notion.  At this point in time, fans want to see Hackenberg not because they believe he is the answer (not the sane ones anyway), but it’s basically a case of “why not?” when your other options are McCown and Bryce Petty.

You can’t stand up and say that this league is just about winning (Bowles’ answer when asked what McCown would have to do to keep his job) during the same press conference in which you’re announcing your starting quarterback as a guy who has won just 2 of his last 20 starts.

That wasn’t all, though.

Coach press conferences are rarely worth listening to as they’re often filled with meaningless “coach speak” when players are referred to in broad and usually flattering terms.  Bowles was given the opportunity to speak on his long-term view of Hackenberg  when one writer asked if he believed the Penn State product has the ability to be an eventual starter in the NFL.  It could’ve been a simple “yes” or “no” question, and Bowles obviously wasn’t about to say “no”, but his answer was also pretty far from a “yes”.

IMG_5917-300x196.jpg

Hackenberg failed to impress in extensive pre-season action.

“I have faith that he’s getting better.  If the opportunity presents itself for him to prove himself again, I’m sure he’ll get better each week”.

That was it.  A generic reply for Hackenberg that could easily be applied to any NFL player about to enter their second season and far from what fans would hope for when getting feedback about a player whom they hope will be the future at quarterback.

Now, nobody is suggesting Bowles should have predicted greatness for Hackenberg or that he should flat-out lie to the fan base.  But whether or not Hackenberg, or any second round draft choice for that matter “could” be a future starting quarterback should be a foregone conclusion.

The lack of an even tepid response from Bowles may have the “Hack Hive” sticking their fingers in their ears, but like it or not, the comment speaks volumes regarding Bowles’ position on the quarterback as he prepares to enter another season on the bench.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
frSYa3ay2QI

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe I'm saying this but what else can he say? Hack is so bad that I have to start a guy who has 2 wins over the last 3 years? Or My GM has given me so little to work with that I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here? No Bowles has to at least look like he is trying to put together a team with the garbage he has in TC with the exception of a few guys. I'm no fan of this guy but Bowles is getting ass reamed without grease here and it is plain as day. Hell at this point the guy probably wants to be fired.

6 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but what else can he say? Hack is so bad that I have to start a guy who has 2 wins over the last 3 years? Or My GM has given me so little to work with that I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here? No Bowles has to at least look like he is trying to put together a team with the garbage he has in TC with the exception of a few guys. I'm no fan of this guy but Bowles is getting ass reamed without grease here and it is plain as day. Hell at this point the guy probably wants to be fired.

Well, he could say something along the lines of, "If Christian keeps putting in the work and shows continued growth and improvement, I don't see why he can't be a starter in this league"

7 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

**** Todd Bowles!  Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out!

And take that puppet of yours Macc with you!

I don't agree. I think Mac is building nice young talent on this team.  In this year's draft the first four players Adams, Mayes, Stewart & Hansen all look like they can be solid.  I think it would be foolish to start over again.  Lets see this through.

I don't know if you guys follow baseball, but now a days the GM pretty much runs the show including most of the non in game managerial decisions like who is playing, where they are playing, and where they are batting ect.  In the NFL you need this now, there needs to be a guy like Jacksonville now has in Coughlin who will oversee what the GM, and HC are doing, and dictate to them what needs to be done all the way down to who is starting where, and I'm drafting this guy, signing this guy make it work the way I say make it work.

I listened to the Schefter podcast with Scot McGloughlan, and he was talking about when he was at Seattle in the 2012 draft as the GM's right hand man (don't know what his exact title was assistant GM, Head Scout whatever), and they loved Andy Dalton, and he was saying in the 2nd round they were on the clock, and Dalton was still available they were stoked, the GM went to talk to the Coaches that they wanted to take Dalton, and when he came back he told McGloughlan were not getting Dalton, and he was like what do you mean?  GM said the coaches don't like him say he won't even make this team, Scot was furious, and was like why do we even do this then?  Come 2013 same thing happened according to McGloughlan, they loved Russell Wilson wanted to take him in the 2nd round, but again the coaches were like to small won't fit this team, and our offense they passed, when he was still there in the 3rd again they wanted to take him the coaches were miffed, but this time Carroll said to the GM you do what you want your in charge, and they drafted Wilson even thou the Offensive coaches didn't want him the rest is history.  

My point is if you listen to your coaches when drafting your gonna **** up your team, they are so blinded based on their own scheme that they can't see talent if it smacked them in the face, a football player is a football player, if he is good you will find a place on the field for him, IMO Macc has drafted the last 2 years based on what Bowles wanted for his defense in Lee, Adams, and Mayes (Adams was probably a consensus pick), but Lee was all Bowles as they had a shot of Bowles on the phone with Lee saying I told you I would be seeing you again real shortly, Lee was Bowles guy, and I'd guess Mayes was who Bowles also wanted to be able to run his scheme with interchangeable safties after getting Adams in the first.

GM needs to draft what's best for the team, not what's best for the HC's defensive scheme when that HC probably won't be here to see out that guys career, and the next HC will say so, and so doesn't fit my scheme, and the GM then cleans out the last HC's preferred players like Rex did when he showed up to Buffalo, and like Buffalo is currently doing with Rex's players he drafted/signed.  This sh*t needs to change UNLESS you have a guy like Belicheck who is solidly entrenched as the HC for as long as he damn pleases which is few, and far between in this league.

The best looking QB in preseason thus far is Petty, albeit he hasn't started against a first string D. None the less why wouldn't he get a shot. Seems to be much better than Hack and can't be that much behind Mc Cown. Mc Cown has been virtually invisible in preseason and in practice the last couple weeks. He must be training at midnight under the lights. None the less he'll be banged up soon with the practice dummy O-Line the Jets have anyway. Another QB cluster year for the Jets. 

Good grief!

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I don't know if you guys follow baseball, but now a days the GM pretty much runs the show including most of the non in game managerial decisions like who is playing, where they are playing, and where they are batting ect.  In the NFL you need this now, there needs to be a guy like Jacksonville now has in Coughlin who will oversee what the GM, and HC are doing, and dictate to them what needs to be done all the way down to who is starting where, and I'm drafting this guy, signing this guy make it work the way I say make it work.

I listened to the Schefter podcast with Scot McGloughlan, and he was talking about when he was at Seattle in the 2012 draft as the GM's right hand man (don't know what his exact title was assistant GM, Head Scout whatever), and they loved Andy Dalton, and he was saying in the 2nd round they were on the clock, and Dalton was still available they were stoked, the GM went to talk to the Coaches that they wanted to take Dalton, and when he came back he told McGloughlan were not getting Dalton, and he was like what do you mean?  GM said the coaches don't like him say he won't even make this team, Scot was furious, and was like why do we even do this then?  Come 2013 same thing happened according to McGloughlan, they loved Russell Wilson wanted to take him in the 2nd round, but again the coaches were like to small won't fit this team, and our offense they passed, when he was still there in the 3rd again they wanted to take him the coaches were miffed, but this time Carroll said to the GM you do what you want your in charge, and they drafted Wilson even thou the Offensive coaches didn't want him the rest is history.  

My point is if you listen to your coaches when drafting your gonna **** up your team, they are so blinded based on their own scheme that they can't see talent if it smacked them in the face, a football player is a football player, if he is good you will find a place on the field for him, IMO Macc has drafted the last 2 years based on what Bowles wanted for his defense in Lee, Adams, and Mayes (Adams was probably a consensus pick), but Lee was all Bowles as they had a shot of Bowles on the phone with Lee saying I told you I would be seeing you again real shortly, Lee was Bowles guy, and I'd guess Mayes was who Bowles also wanted to be able to run his scheme with interchangeable safties after getting Adams in the first.

GM needs to draft what's best for the team, not what's best for the HC's defensive scheme when that HC probably won't be here to see out that guys career, and the next HC will say so, and so doesn't fit my scheme, and the GM then cleans out the last HC's preferred players like Rex did when he showed up to Buffalo, and like Buffalo is currently doing with Rex's players he drafted/signed.  This sh*t needs to change UNLESS you have a guy like Belicheck who is solidly entrenched as the HC for as long as he damn pleases which is few, and far between in this league.

Maccagnan's handling of contracts etc has been awful. However, these two drafts- especially the early rounds are Bowles and his scheme. We've basically taken 3 safeties(lee last year, Adams, Maye this year) the last two years.

11 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don't agree. I think Mac is building nice young talent on this team.  In this year's draft the first four players Adams, Mayes, Stewart & Hansen all look like they can be solid.  I think it would be foolish to start over again.  Lets see this through.

It's year 3 of his regime, and we have the WORST offensive roster in football, ZERO starting talent at QB. OT, WR, TE, and RB under the age of 31!  On defense we have no edge rusher, no MLB, no CB 1 signed past 2017, no sure CB 2!  So why in the **** would I let him start from scratch with a high draft pick, and 90 million in cap space to try, and build it again?  All he has is a group of decent Special Teams guys, and a handful of maybe future 2's, and 3's at WR, and CB.

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Maccagnan's handling of contracts etc has been awful. However, these two drafts- especially the early rounds are Bowles and his scheme. We've basically taken 3 safeties(lee last year, Adams, Maye this year) the last two years.

Yup, and we have a Div II level talent offense, and our defense with 75 1st, and 2nd round picks still can't get to the QB, or stop teams on 3rd downs.

10 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

It's year 3 of his regime, and we have the WORST offensive roster in football, ZERO starting talent at QB. OT, WR, TE, and RB under the age of 31!  On defense we have no edge rusher, no MLB, no CB 1 signed past 2017, no sure CB 2!  So why in the **** would I let him start from scratch with a high draft pick, and 90 million in cap space to try, and build it again?  All he has is a group of decent Special Teams guys, and a handful of maybe future 2's, and 3's at WR, and CB.

In year 1 he spent money on FAs and produced a 10 win season.  By CBA rules the Jets had to spend and he did.To his credit, no contract has hamstrung us. However his drafting has not been bad, and I think this year may have been his best, time will tell. To start over with a new GM next year is crazy.  This year is what rebuilding looks like. Firing Mac after this season is equivilant to biting off your nose to spite your face. For once I hope Woody see's this through and doesn't listen to some of the idiotic fan outcry.

and in fact he was right...in this media market fans are so demanding and THIRSTY it doesnt matter when the qb was picked...1 rd pick or 4th round pick, fans are demanding they play despite the fact that there is a real difference in the talent of a 1st rd pick and everywhere else in the draft...should a 2nd round pick contribute and play in his 2nd year? damn right...should the same standard be applied to QB's that is applies to every position on the field? no 

48 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

After 3 years, we are the worst team in the league with limited upside, 4 of the 5 best players on the team were here before Mac got here, but Mac is building nice young talent... Ok.

14 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

In year 1 he spent money on FAs and produced a 10 win season.  By CBA rules the Jets had to spend and he did.To his credit, no contract has hamstrung us. However his drafting has not been bad, and I think this year may have been his best, time will tell. To start over with a new GM next year is crazy.  This year is what rebuilding looks like. Firing Mac after this season is equivilant to biting off your nose to spite your face. For once I hope Woody see's this through and doesn't listen to some of the idiotic fan outcry.

We see things far different, I'll just leave it at that no need to go back, and forth.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

What, in your view and considering this roster, would a good coach look like this season?

Someone with the balls to play the young kids, and play AGGRESSIVE, yes you will have a few embarrassing loses specifically early on, BUT at the end of the year there would be hopefully some noticeable improvement, and that would be a success no matter what the record was.

All of this anger is more about who the Jets didn't Draft more-so than who they did .  The Jets took a player who some thought was the best player in the whole draft probably because the player they were hoping fell to them didn't and the one they thought wouldn't, did .

The Jets lost their best receiver so they took 2, a player who looks like an Eric Decker clone on the field and another who plays the game like Anquan Bolden .  They needed a young RB because of the age of the 2 starters and they got lucky with a kid who has the same skill set as their 2 starters, but more speed .

The perfect QB for what the Jets are doing would have been Trubisky , but the Bears were smart . Had the Jets drafted Trubisky, the smart move would still have been to start the season with Josh McCown . At some point this season, McCown will be replaced by either Petty or Hackenberg and it won't be an issue . That's why you bring in this type f pro and why he was paid what he was paid.  

Just now, Lupz27 said:

Someone with the balls to play the young kids, and play AGGRESSIVE, yes you will have a few embarrassing loses specifically early on, BUT at the end of the year there would be hopefully some noticeable improvement, and that would be a success no matter what the record was.

They are playing the young kids at every position except at QB.  This team, for whatever reason, has given up on the notion that Bryce Petty can be a player in this league, and Hackenberg showed the remaining fans what the rest of all already knew, that he's simply not capable.  Starting McCown gives Stewart, Hansen, Anderson, and just about everyone else the opportunity to develop and get meaningful reps, rather than sitting around hoping for the one play out of 8 where Hackenberg doesn't screw up.  McCown's minimum level of competence also offers the promise of a 1st down once in a while, so that the defense doesn't have to play the entire game, increasing the chance of not only failure, but injury.  That's why McCown is the right choice, for the 50 other guys on the roster.

47 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

Bowles is clueless. We will be seeing more evidence of that week 1 to 16.

My expectation for Jets HCs has gotten so low I'd take a guy who doesn't brainfart clock management during the 2 minute drill

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

They are playing the young kids at every position except at QB.  This team, for whatever reason, has given up on the notion that Bryce Petty can be a player in this league, and Hackenberg showed the remaining fans what the rest of all already knew, that he's simply not capable.  Starting McCown gives Stewart, Hansen, Anderson, and just about everyone else the opportunity to develop and get meaningful reps, rather than sitting around hoping for the one play out of 8 where Hackenberg doesn't screw up.  McCown's minimum level of competence also offers the promise of a 1st down once in a while, so that the defense doesn't have to play the entire game, increasing the chance of not only failure, but injury.  That's why McCown is the right choice, for the 50 other guys on the roster.

I agree Hack is not the right choice, but IMO Macc screwed up, and Bowles should never gotten another Ryan Fitzpatrick vet QB to choose to be his starter, even now we have seen enough of Petty to know he won't get himself killed playing in a real game based off his 4 starts last season, and IMO he has plenty of Chemistry with Hansen Stewart and Anderson to help them continue to develop, he, and McCown are almost 1 in the same right now, only difference is Petty MAY have room for improvement, and become Andy Dalton like, while you know McCown is who he is no point in going in circles for the 3rd straight year.

11 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Have to agre with you, the WR' s need play with a QB who knows where to go with the ball when to change protections etc. I am not a fan of McCown but at hopefully our WR's will be able to help our next years draft pick out,  unless we take a CB and sign another old vet QB.

31 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I tend to agree, while I have some concerns about Macc I don't think breaking it all down every 3 years is the answer.  I'm sure Woody was sat down and this rebuilding strategy was discussed with him meaning Macc was honest and said we'll have to take a step back before we can begin to take two steps forward.  What I would consider doing though is hiring a Senior VP of sorts who Macc reports into.  I would be looking for an ex-GM who Macc can bounce ideas off of and help him navigate this rebuild.  It may only be a short term 1-2 year "consulting" type job but I've said it before and I'll say it again, I do think Macc has potential but it's very possible the move to GM and Woody giving him the "keys to the castle" was a bit premature.  Woody's not a football guy and will have no insight into player personnal decisions.  I think Macc needs someone above him who can help steer him in the right direction.  I know Jax isn't exactly a model franchise but look what they did with bringing in Coughlin, he's not the GM but he's there to support the GM and HC.

11 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I agree Hack is not the right choice, but IMO Macc screwed up, and Bowles should never gotten another Ryan Fitzpatrick vet QB to choose to be his starter, even now we have seen enough of Petty to know he won't get himself killed playing in a real game based off his 4 starts last season, and IMO he has plenty of Chemistry with Hansen Stewart and Anderson to help them continue to develop, he, and McCown are almost 1 in the same right now, only difference is Petty MAY have room for improvement, and become Andy Dalton like, while you know McCown is who he is no point in going in circles for the 3rd straight year.

The team, not just Bowles, didn't even give Petty a chance to compete.  I don't know why that is, but I'm sure they do.  So, Petty was never a consideration.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

**** Todd Bowles!  Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out!

And take that puppet of yours Macc with you!

This is worse than Idoitzik. I agree with you. This is the best season to blow this up again. High draft picks. Lots of dough. The Jets can get a FA QB, an Edge Rusher, mo on from Mo, draft a 1st round QB that has a chance to win the job long term

Petty will have plenty of time and chances to play this year...no need to get worked up. Hack isnt ready and T'Clown is an egg. Don't get your feathers ruffled, This is Petty's year by default now. I am not a huge Petty fan by any means but I hate having a washed up, never has been "veteran" designated as the LEADER of my team. Makes me want to get up and turn the god damn tv off on my way to the bathroom to throw up. 

As much as I wanted Hackenberg to earn the starting job, he is clearly not even close to being ready and in fact has been embarrassingly bad ( and MAC should be fired for this fact alone, in addition to being completely negligent regarding the most important position on the field and not drafting a QB in 2017 - but that's an argument for another day)  and Petty has definitely been the best QB for the team in training camp and the preseason so far, so starting McCown is as idiotic a move as Ive seen this team make, and that's saying a lot.  In a complete rebuild year, how can they possibly justify to the fan base starting a journeyman QB who has been TERRIBLE over the last 3 years over a 3rd year QB who has shown some signs of improvement and growth this preseason.  I am so disgusted that I really don't even ant to watch the games, but I will because I will need an outlet for my disgust and rage. 

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

We need a GM who can put together a TEAM. Not just pick players. The roster is so unbalanced that there is no way to win. Even ST players cannot make a fair catch. I would prefer Kerlley over the scrap heap of returners

Just now, Jetdawgg said:

We need a GM who can put together a TEAM. Not just pick players. The roster is so unbalanced that there is no way to win. Even ST players cannot make a fair catch. I would prefer Kerlley over the scrap heap of returners

Us Jets fans will be pining for the days of Jim Leonard fair catching punts!

Archived