This Isn't "Sexy" But ...

KRL

It's probably the main reason Hackenberg couldn't win the #1 spot and that is "protections".
Jeremy Bates mentioned it multiple times in his press conference and people probably glossed
over it.  If a QB doesn't know how to set protections, where he's protected and where to go with
the ball based on the protection he'll fail and probably end up in the hospital.  As was seen
multiple times when Hackenberg played against DET & NYG he took "knock out" hits because he
didn't know what was going on.  Some good links explaining the details:

https://www.sbnation.com/2012/7/28/3198871/west-coast-offense-protection-schemes

http://smartfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/slidePROTECTION.pdf

http://www.xandolabs.com/conceptblockingsystem/member/passprotect.html

This was discussed the other day, and I agree.  This doesn't matter whether you are playing against 1s, 2s, or 3s.  

But this was one of many reasons why Hack isn't starter.  The fact that he is far behind the other 2 QBs in basically every facet of the game, being the main reason.

This is probably the main reason....without mastering this one skill you will never have the time to be effective. It isnt said much but he had the same problem at penn state. 

This team is a mirror of the shyt he had at penn state so you should expect similar results.....poor oline, poor receivers, he holds the ball too long and he isnt good at calling protections.....its not that the kid can never been good but if he doesnt master this one skill he has no chance. Every team in the nfl isnt going to have a line like dallas, the QB needs to do his part to protect himself and ensure that he has time to get the play off.

18 minutes ago, KRL said:

It's probably the main reason Hackenberg couldn't win the #1 spot and that is "protections".
Jeremy Bates mentioned it multiple times in his press conference and people probably glossed
over it.  If a QB doesn't know how to set protections, where he's protected and where to go with
the ball based on the protection he'll fail and probably end up in the hospital.  As was seen
multiple times when Hackenberg played against DET & NYG he took "knock out" hits because he

https://www.sbnation.com/2012/7/28/3198871/west-coast-offense-protection-schemes

Hack shouldn't start it's obvious he isn't ready.  What doesn't make sense IMO is Macc giving Bowles a guy like McCown for him to opt to start in the first place, he should have never signed another 30 something retread for this HC who will start them no matter what IMO.

7 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Nor was Bryce Petty or Josh McCown.

McCown has run this offense before. I haven't seen Petty with/against the ones yet. Jets fans have loved the QB who plays the fourth quarter of preseason games for a long time. 

Petty has similar issues; recall the play last year against Miami where he was sandwiched by Wake and Suh 

Though that may have been a snap count issue as well.

Wonder if keeping Mangold would have significantly helped Hack & Petty in this regard.

1 minute ago, slats said:

McCown has run this offense before. I haven't seen Petty with/against the ones yet. Jets fans have loved the QB who plays the fourth quarter of preseason games for a long time. 

I don't love Petty at all.  I'm simply stating that a guy who's known to be a smart QB, who came from a pro-style offense, who got a redshirt season, is being sold as not yet knowing the protections and I don't buy it.  Hack isn't good at football.  May that change?  Possibly.  But right now, he isn't a capable NFL QB.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

This is likely an issue that's followed him since college. As much as his accuracy was scrutinized, the guy took a beating at PSU. Some of that was due to his piss poor O-Line, but some may also have been because he was unable to make the proper reads to adjust the protection.

All this is a load of crap . The only problem Christian Hackenberg has is getting accustomed to the speed of the NFL and truth be told, he's learning .   There's a major difference between the speed of a starting caliber top 10 NFL defense and a bottom 10 starting defense .  That difference is multiplied when you face a 2nd and 3rd string defense in preseason made up of players who won't even make rosters . 

The last 2 drives of the 1st half of the Giants game (yea, including the one that went for the pick 6) and the last Jet drive that Hackenberg led demonstrates this fact . Hack needs reps, and the more he gets with starting caliber NFL defenses the better he will get . The problem is, there's a learning curve that will result in a ton of turnovers and losing .  You can afford this in preseason, but not in the regular season and IMO, that's why Hackenberg was given those 1st team reps .

The kid is improving, whether you folks choose to believe it or not . Don't believe me, compare this Eagles game to last year's on Friday morning and get back to me .

3 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

But, he sure could have spent some of that time learning NFL defenses. That would certainly aid him in setting protections.

Just now, gEYno said:

I don't love Petty at all.  I'm simply stating that a guy who's known to be a smart QB, who came from a pro-style offense, who got a redshirt season, is being sold as not yet knowing the protections and I don't buy it.  Hack isn't good at football.  May that change?  Possibly.  But right now, he isn't a capable NFL QB.

Listen, I have no great love or faith in Hackenberg to succeed, either. I'm at the I'd like to see it happen level. Word was that the coaches barely worked with Hackenberg last year. They took a developmental QB and chose not to start developing him. Once again in Jetland, there's a massive disconnect between the GM and the coaching staff. 

Does anyone not expect to see both Petty and Hackenberg start games this year? 

Just now, slats said:

Listen, I have no great love or faith in Hackenberg to succeed, either. I'm at the I'd like to see it happen level. Word was that the coaches barely worked with Hackenberg last year. They took a developmental QB and chose not to start developing him. Once again in Jetland, there's a massive disconnect between the GM and the coaching staff. 

I suspect they both will.  Because neither McCown, nor Petty can stay healthy.  But, I don't see the point of putting Hack out there if he's as bad as it seems.

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

All this is a load of crap . The only problem Christian Hackenberg has is getting accustomed to the speed of the NFL and truth be told, he's learning .   There's a major difference between the speed of a starting caliber top 10 NFL defense and a bottom 10 starting defense .  That difference is multiplied when you face a 2nd and 3rd string defense in preseason made up of players who won't even make rosters . 

The last 2 drives of the 1st half of the Giants game (yea, including the one that went for the pick 6) and the last Jet drive that Hackenberg led demonstrates this fact . Hack needs reps, and the more he gets with starting caliber NFL defenses the better he will get . The problem is, there's a learning curve that will result in a ton of turnovers and losing .  You can afford this in preseason, but not in the regular season and IMO, that's why Hackenberg was given those 1st team reps .

The kid is improving, whether you folks choose to believe it or not . Don't believe me, compare this Eagles game to last year's on Friday morning and get back to me .

And, at the rate he's improving, by 2030 I think we may really have something!

1 minute ago, slats said:

I disagree with this assessment.  It is based purely on the footwork quote.  Gailey said that he wasn't going to monkey with the kid's footwork during the season, that it was an offseason change.  Now people act like they sat Hackenberg in a corner and didn't let him learn anything.  He was supposed to be so ******* smart and just need to get over his PTSD.  What will next year's excuse be? 

17 minutes ago, slats said:

I'd rather watch Petty, even if it meant 2-14 that's watch McCown go 5-11.  McCown does nothing to improve this team long term. Typical Jets thinking short term temporary success at the cost of long term success.

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I disagree with this assessment.  It is based purely on the footwork quote.  Gailey said that he wasn't going to monkey with the kid's footwork during the season, that it was an offseason change.  Now people act like they sat Hackenberg in a corner and didn't let him learn anything.  He was supposed to be so ******* smart and just need to get over his PTSD.  What will next year's excuse be? 

I think next year the Jets will draft a QB in the first round, and Hackenberg will be an afterthought. They'll give him the second halves of preseason games to show his stuff and try to get a sixth rounder for him. 

2 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I'd rather watch Petty, even if it meant 2-14 that's watch McCown go 5-11.  McCown does nothing to improve this team long term. Typical Jets thinking short term temporary success at the cost of long term success.

I'd rather see Jason Vander Laan at QB than McCown. My hope is that they move on from him very quickly. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I think next year the Jets will draft a QB in the first round, and Hackenberg will be an afterthought. They'll give him the second halves of preseason games to show his stuff and try to get a sixth rounder for him. 

That an a metro pass will get you on the subway.

14 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

But, he sure could have spent some of that time learning NFL defenses. That would certainly aid him in setting protections.

There's a difference between learning what a defense is doing and realizing the speed at which it's being done . What you got away with in high school, you can get away with at the college level sometimes, but will get NFL HCs and offensive coordinators fired against starting NFL defenses .

Stop the rationalizing... this reason, that reason. 

He doesn't do a single thing well, except get up after taking a hit.  Gotta give him that.  Although plenty of times as stated above, it is his own fault because he fails to process pre-snap information.

9 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

There's a difference between learning what a defense is doing and realizing the speed at which it's being done . What you got away with in high school, you can get away with at the college level sometimes, but will get NFL HCs and offensive coordinators fired against starting NFL defenses .

Wasn't he running the scout team last year?  That is "NFL speed."  What gets NFL HCs and offensive coordinators fired is okay for a QB?  Those guys on the 2nd and 3rd team are generally just as fast as the first team.  That is what gets them in camp, the scheme will just be more vanilla because of inexperience and a lack of time to gel as a unit.  After last week, I read that the problem was that the Lions "gameplanned" for him.  This week, they didn't even announce him as starter and he looked worse.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Made this same point yesterday in the Bates thread, but it's been pretty obvious since his vaunted Penn State days. Hackenberg struggles with basic accuracy, footwork, processing speed, and, now, 101-level quarterback fundamentals. 

This. "Protections" is just a symptom. Hackenberg couldn't win the #1 job because he's ungodly terrible at literally every aspect of quarterbacking except being tall.

Seriously...how can people continue to debate this. The kid couldn't complete 60% of his passes in HIGH SCHOOL! This kid is never going to get it because he can't do the number one thing that QB's must be able to do, throw the football from Point A to Point B accurately. 

All those dismissing what Petty did against 2nd and 3rd stringers, it wasn't his fault the coaching staff wouldn't let him take one series against the ones. All we can judge him on is his playing time this PS and he performed very well. To those who say, "well Hack got a TD at the end too", what game were you watching? Petty still looked vastly superior. How about the throw to a wide open A. Stewart that needed to be reviewed for 5 minutes because Hack almost threw the ball 5 feet over his head on the sideline? How about the fumble that would have been a turnover if the Ref's didn't screw up on the very next play? 

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This. "Protections" is just a symptom. Hackenberg couldn't win the #1 job because he's ungodly terrible at literally every aspect of quarterbacking except being tall.

It is funny how many people on here want to hang on to his "potential"  He is the QB equivalent of Gholston - he looks good coming off the bus.  Workout warrior. 

Archived