Bowles Presser Today

Maxman

I said this in a few threads, but I love it. You can't tell who is playing, who isn't going to play. Hard to tell who he likes and who he doesn't like. He does not owe the media the truth. Love these answers.

New York Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles, 8.29

On if he has ruled out any players for the fourth preseason game…

No, not at this time I haven’t.

On if the team had a practice or walkthrough this morning…

We had practice.

On what Bryce Petty was able to do at practice…

He had practice.

On if Petty was a full participant at practice…

He had practice.

On if he is optimistic that Petty will play in the fourth preseason game…

I feel optimistic about him.

On if Josh McCown will play against the Philadelphia Eagles…

I’ve told everybody that needs to be available to play against Philly, will be able to play.

On if the new players, like Kony Ealy, will be available to play against the Eagles …

They’ll all play.

On if his approach to this fourth preseason game is different from seasons past…

No, we have certain things we want to work on and get done on both sides of the ball that I want to see, and we are going to work on those things this week and this game.

On if Lorenzo Mauldin participated in practice today…

No, he didn’t.

On if Injured Reserve is an option for Mauldin…

It’s possible, but not at this time.

On what point does he have to make a decision on Mauldin regarding Injured Reserve…

Well, obviously, it will come at some point next week. We’ll see how he is feeling, if he is actually getting better or not, and I’ll hear what the trainers and everybody else has to say and we’ll take it from there. But it will be coming in the next couple of days, I’m sure.

On how severe Rontez Miles’ injury was…

It was pretty severe. He didn’t have many stitches, but it was pretty severe, and he had a little trouble seeing out of it, so he’s been resting.

On if Miles is an Injured Reserve candidate as well…

Not to my knowledge, but I’m not a doctor, so we haven’t got to that point yet.

On if Morris Claiborne was able to participate in practice today…

He did some things, yeah.

On if it is possible that Claiborne will play against the Eagles…

Yeah, it’s possible.

On playing McCown against the Eagles even though McCown was named the starting quarterback…

Football is football. It doesn’t matter who we play. Everybody is available to play, it doesn’t matter whether it is the quarterback, the punter, the snapper, and I’ll play them as I see fit. We need to do some things, so we’ll work on them. If I decide to play or not play them, that will be my decision.

On how Juston Burris has progressed during training camp…

Well, he’s coming along. He’s had some good plays, he has some things he needs to work on, but he’s getting better every day.

On the risk/reward in playing McCown against the Eagles…

I don’t think of anything as far as Josh playing. I think of it as a team standpoint. If the team needs to work on something, we work on it. It doesn’t matter whether it’s for Thursday, whether its next week, whether its two weeks from now, it doesn’t matter. If we need to work on stuff, we work on it.

17 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I don't care what coaches say in these things anymore. Though I do prefer this over a guy like Rex giving these idiots tons to work with and make matters worse. 

I read every transcript, the Jets send them out and I am on the lookout for new content. With Rex I would get them and think how are we going to limit this one page word doc to 4 articles.

With Bowles I get the one page word doc and think, how the hell are we going to make an article out of this.

19 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I said this in a few threads, but I love it. You can't tell who is playing, who isn't going to play. Hard to tell who he likes and who he doesn't like. He does not owe the media the truth. Love these answers.

Didn't we used to rave about Mangini for doing the same?

What possible benefit could there be about being coy for the Philly game?  They won't know who to gameplan for???

I like reading about the Jets, getting info, etc.  I'm pretty sure this season it's about the only entertainment I'm going to get.  So open up Todd!  Tell us what you really feel!

27 minutes ago, Maxman said:

We had practice.

He had practice.

He's like Bill Belichick, without any of the success. 

3 minutes ago, thshadow said:

Didn't we used to rave about Mangini for doing the same?

What possible benefit could there be about being coy for the Philly game?  They won't know who to gameplan for???

I like reading about the Jets, getting info, etc.  I'm pretty sure this season it's about the only entertainment I'm going to get.  So open up Todd!  Tell us what you really feel!

Eh, Mangini like the Hooded One gave real answers to real questions. He gave nothing to click-baity type of sensational or rhetorical questions. Watch a Belichick news conference some day. He can give great answers when asked a non-stupid question.

38 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Eh, Mangini like the Hooded One gave real answers to real questions. He gave nothing to click-baity type of sensational or rhetorical questions. Watch a Belichick news conference some day. He can give great answers when asked a non-stupid question.

He can even be funny when asked a stupid question.  

Bowles sounds like he's now annoyed at the press and is going to stonewall them.  Good in some ways, but alienating them is going to make his time in NY much more unpleasant.  You don't have to be their friend or too giving with info, but you can find a way to not be so obviously disdainful.  He'll learn or he won't.  No skin off my nose since I hardly ever watch them anyway.

So back to the game Thursday night...if McDougal sacks McCown, am I allowed to smile just a little?

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

He doesn't like the media and as is the case with most head coaches, couldn't care less about the paying customer who follows the team.

95% of what he says is meh.

Why do you say that?

He has done every fan event the Jets asked him to. 

18 hours ago, nycdan said:

Bowles sounds like he's now annoyed at the press and is going to stonewall them.  Good in some ways, but alienating them is going to make his time in NY much more unpleasant.  You don't have to be their friend or too giving with info, but you can find a way to not be so obviously disdainful.  He'll learn or he won't.  No skin off my nose since I hardly ever watch them anyway.

He made a point in one of the pressers last week. Saying how all of the beat writers spent the first half of camp constantly asking why Hack wasn't getting more snaps, then spent the second half of camp asking why McClown wasn't getting more snaps. Most of the beat writers hate the Jets anyway so F-em.

20 hours ago, Maxman said:

With a record the past two years of 15-17--as well as his defense playing like rubbish, and overall team chaos--he does owe himself the truth.  And that is that he is not that great a HC.

20 hours ago, Maxman said:

Nor the fans apparently..:(

19 hours ago, Maxman said:

I read every transcript, the Jets send them out and I am on the lookout for new content. With Rex I would get them and think how are we going to limit this one page word doc to 4 articles.

With Bowles I get the one page word doc and think, how the hell are we going to make an article out of this.

Well could we ever hope to have a well balanced, logical, well reasoned coach? 

Maybe one with a plan, that is quiet when it's appropriate and gets angry when called for. Is that really so much to ask for? 

It's not like I'm asking for brilliance, personality, or charisma here. Just some semblance of appropriate response to a given situation. 

20 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

If he starts winning, then he could fart into the mic and it would be fine. Winning matters. The rest is masterbation.

Don't go getting all out of control with the winning. The best chance to win...chance to win. Say it with me.

We'll try to be competitive for the foreseeable future and that should be enough for you. 

18 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Maybe one with a plan, that is quiet when it's appropriate and gets angry when called for. Is that really so much to ask for? 

It's not like I'm asking for brilliance, personality, or charisma here. Just some semblance of appropriate response to a given situation. 

Or an offense, perhaps. 

17 hours ago, Maxman said:

Why do you say that?

He has done every fan event the Jets asked him to. 

Not a huge effort to come out and have a bunch of strangers fawn over you in public.

Just now, AFJF said:

Not a huge effort to come out and have a bunch of strangers fawn over you in public.

Well you said he doesn't care about the fans. My experience has been that statement isn't true.

9 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

How do we know Bowles doesn't get angry with his team in the locker room and in other areas fans have no access to? The 2 best HCs I ever saw were Bill Walsh & Joe Gibbs. Never saw them blow up on a player, throw headsets, clipboards, or any of that idiotic macho crap High School coaches do to show their teams they're "one tough hombre" (Jim Mora's douchebag son comes to mind). As much as I enjoyed coaching characters like Bum Phillips, I don't need some man-child who can't control his own emotions during a game when one thing you always preach to your team, to a man, in football is that you have to be in control of your emotions at all times & situations. And I'm not saying Bowles is anywhere comparable to Gibbs & Walsh, but the whole "angry grumpy coach who's full of piss & vinegar" thing is one of the most overrated & overplayed narratives of American sports lore.

And I hope you weren't asking for a feistier Bowles at his pressers. Rex tried that once, and now a big part of his HC legacy is

qzyOaN8.gif

Not sure it would be in his best interest to act like a schmuck in front of STH's at team events.

His demeanor suggests he doesn't feel anyone should be allowed to ask him questions, which he's not entirely wrong about.  I mean, if people stopped in to my job every day (back when I had one) to criticize my performance despite not having the training I had, I probably wouldn't like them either.

Just now, glenn31 said:

How do we know Bowles doesn't get angry with his team in the locker room and in other areas fans have no access to? The 2 best HCs I ever saw were Bill Walsh & Joe Gibbs. Never saw them blow up on a player, throw headsets, clipboards, or any of that idiotic macho crap High School coaches do to show their teams they're "one tough hombre" (Jim Mora's douchebag son comes to mind). As much as I enjoyed coaching characters like Bum Phillips, I don't need some man-child who can't control his own emotions during a game when one thing you always preach to your team, to a man, in football is that you have to be in control of your emotions at all times & situations. And I'm not saying Bowles is anywhere comparable to Gibbs & Walsh, but the whole "angry grumpy coach who's full of piss & vinegar" thing is one of the most overrated & overplayed narratives of American sports lore.

And I hope you weren't asking for a feistier Bowles at his pressers. Rex tried that once, and now a big part of his HC legacy is

qzyOaN8.gif

I said for once. Bowles is the exact opposite of Rex. Somewhere there is a balance to be had.

image.jpeg

Are we winning or losing here? Was this a fumble or a TD? Who knows?

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Not sure it would be in his best interest to act like a schmuck in front of STH's at team events.

His demeanor suggests he doesn't feel anyone should be allowed to ask him questions, which he's not entirely wrong about.  I mean, if people stopped in to my job every day (back when I had one) to criticize my performance despite not having the training I had, I probably wouldn't like them either.

So it sounds like we agree, he cares about the fans as much as he needs to and he hates the media. Those are two things I like about him.

He got here and was friendly with the media. It didn't work out for him, so I am glad he changed.

Just now, Maxman said:

So it sounds like we agree, he cares about the fans as much as he needs to and he hates the media. Those are two things I like about him.

He got here and was friendly with the media. It didn't work out for him, so I am glad he changed.

I assume that anyone "known" or "famous" views their paying customers as a bunch of morons and get creeped out by their presence at public events, but most are smart enough to know to pretend to like them.

Bowles comes off almost as miserable as Belichick when he's addressing the media, giving information that I assume he knows will be presented to the fans in a manner that suggests he hates the thought of having to provide fans and media with updates.

Not even a criticism, really.  These guys have spent the majority of their adult lives in the spotlight with fame, wealth, etc. that makes them lose touch with every day people and they don't like the idea of having to "answer" to anyone.

Some can pull it off, but not many.  Ron Rivera is so good at it that sometimes I think he doesn't hate the fans.  Bowles?  Not so much.

16 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I said for once. Bowles is the exact opposite of Rex. Somewhere there is a balance to be had.

image.jpeg

Are we winning or losing here? Was this a fumble or a TD? Who knows?

Fans are watching the game. Players are watching the game. Coaches are watching the game. 11 games from the Jets sidelines are IN the game. Why does anyone need visual aids from Todd Bowles? Should he pull out 2 flags and produce semaphore codes for the next unit to get on the field?

I remember when Matthias Kiwanuka didn't bring Vince Young down on that great run he had vs the Giants during his rookie year. Coughlin immediately tore Kiwi a new one in front of the entire bench. What happened the rest of the way? The Giants took a 21-0 lead into the 4th and collapsed and lost 24-21. That sideline blow up never made Kiwi a better player and it sure as heck didn't help the Giants that day. The following year Cough decides to somewhat change in how he interacts with players and voila! A SB in 2007 & a SB 4 years later. The grumpy old man was a razor's edge from losing his team and his job and it wasn't until he realized he is no longer in the 1980s and he's not screaming at dudes who work as roofers and truckers during the late winter and spring that his & the NYG fortunes changed for the better.

The ONLY things that should matter with a HC are game-planning during the week and game management on gamedays. Sideline demeanor does NOTHING to enhance those two things. NOTHING.

10 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

Fans are watching the game. Players are watching the game. Coaches are watching the game. 11 games from the Jets sidelines are IN the game. Why does anyone need visual aids from Todd Bowles? Should he pull out 2 flags and produce semaphore codes for the next unit to get on the field?

I remember when Matthias Kiwanuka didn't bring Vince Young down on that great run he had vs the Giants during his rookie year. Coughlin immediately tore Kiwi a new one in front of the entire bench. What happened the rest of the way? The Giants took a 21-0 lead into the 4th and collapsed and lost 24-21. That sideline blow up never made Kiwi a better player and it sure as heck didn't help the Giants that day. The following year Cough decides to somewhat change in how he interacts with players and voila! A SB in 2007 & a SB 4 years later. The grumpy old man was a razor's edge from losing his team and his job and it wasn't until he realized he is no longer in the 1980s and he's not screaming at dudes who work as roofers and truckers during the late winter and spring that his & the NYG fortunes changed for the better.

The ONLY things that should matter with a HC are game-planning during the week and game management on gamedays. Sideline demeanor does NOTHING to enhance those two things. NOTHING.

Some players need to be encouraged, while some need a fire lit under their ass. They all need a will to win and teams certainly do take on their HC's demeanor. 

You saw it with Rex. The whole team was overemotional, and when things went bad they imploded. You saw it with Bowles last year. The whole team cared just as much about winning as Bowles does here in that picture, and every other picture you've seen of him.

That's Bowles main job. He does not Coordinate the offense or the defense. What the hell is he here for? He gives the team direction, and rally's the team, and his coaches.

A HC must keep a team from getting too high or to low. We've tried always high, and now we've tried always low. All I'm asking for is a coach that knows which buttons to push, and when to push them. 

21 hours ago, Maxman said:

We had practice.

He had practice.

On if Petty was a full participant at practice…

He had practice.

On if he is optimistic that Petty will play in the fourth preseason game…

I feel optimistic about him.

On if Josh McCown will play against the Philadelphia Eagles…

I’ve told everybody that needs to be available to play against Philly, will be able to play.

On if the new players, like Kony Ealy, will be available to play against the Eagles …

They’ll all play.

On if his approach to this fourth preseason game is different from seasons past…

No, we have certain things we want to work on and get done on both sides of the ball that I want to see, and we are going to work on those things this week and this game.

On if Lorenzo Mauldin participated in practice today…

No, he didn’t.

On if Injured Reserve is an option for Mauldin…

It’s possible, but not at this time.

On what point does he have to make a decision on Mauldin regarding Injured Reserve…

Well, obviously, it will come at some point next week. We’ll see how he is feeling, if he is actually getting better or not, and I’ll hear what the trainers and everybody else has to say and we’ll take it from there. But it will be coming in the next couple of days, I’m sure.

On how severe Rontez Miles’ injury was…

It was pretty severe. He didn’t have many stitches, but it was pretty severe, and he had a little trouble seeing out of it, so he’s been resting.

On if Miles is an Injured Reserve candidate as well…

Not to my knowledge, but I’m not a doctor, so we haven’t got to that point yet.

On if Morris Claiborne was able to participate in practice today…

He did some things, yeah.

On if it is possible that Claiborne will play against the Eagles…

Yeah, it’s possible.

On playing McCown against the Eagles even though McCown was named the starting quarterback…

Football is football. It doesn’t matter who we play. Everybody is available to play, it doesn’t matter whether it is the quarterback, the punter, the snapper, and I’ll play them as I see fit. We need to do some things, so we’ll work on them. If I decide to play or not play them, that will be my decision.

On how Juston Burris has progressed during training camp…

Well, he’s coming along. He’s had some good plays, he has some things he needs to work on, but he’s getting better every day.

On the risk/reward in playing McCown against the Eagles…

I don’t think of anything as far as Josh playing. I think of it as a team standpoint. If the team needs to work on something, we work on it. It doesn’t matter whether it’s for Thursday, whether its next week, whether its two weeks from now, it doesn’t matter. If we need to work on stuff, we work on it.

Media management comes in a distant second of importance to game management and adjustments.  Something Bowles and staff failed miserably at since week 17 of 2015 in Buffalo.

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Some players need to be encouraged, while some need a fire lit under their ass. They all need a will to win and teams certainly do take on their HC's demeanor. 

You saw it with Rex. The whole team was overemotional, and when things went bad they imploded. You saw it with Bowles last year. The whole team cared just as much about winning as Bowles does here in that picture, and every other picture you've seen of him.

That's Bowles main job. He does not Coordinate the offense or the defense. What the hell is he here for? He gives the team direction, and rally's the team, and his coaches.

A HC must keep a team from getting too high or to low. We've tried always high, and now we've tried always low. All I'm asking for is a coach that knows which buttons to push, and when to push them. 

So then how did that same zombie coach manage to win 10 games in 2015? The team sure as heck seemed fired up for most of that season. Did he slip them some reverse ennui tablets during the team breakfast?

Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, Ronde Barber, and John Lynch were all fiery defensive stalwarts for the Bucs who could hoot and holler with the best of them. Their HC? Church mouse quiet Tony Dungy.

The 2016 Jets lost a majority of the time last season because were typically out-gunned at the most important positions, and on top of that became crippled with injuries. When guys like Mo & Revis come into camp fat and out of shape, no amount of screaming is going to cut down their body fat percentages and strengthen their cores. Guys like them already made their decisions on where their seasons (both as a team and as individuals) are going waaaay before Bowles ever laid out the plan for the team during his initial address during the 1st night of the 2016 training camp. And before you spin it that those guys coming into camp out of shape proves how soft Bowles is, go ask Bill Parcells about the 53 pudgy Shakespeares that inhabited his 1987 roster.

8 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

So then how did that same zombie coach manage to win 10 games in 2015? The team sure as heck seemed fired up for most of that season. Did he slip them some reverse ennui tablets during the team breakfast?

Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, Ronde Barber, and John Lynch were all fiery defensive stalwarts for the Bucs who could hoot and holler with the best of them. Their HC? Church mouse quiet Tony Dungy.

The 2016 Jets lost a majority of the time last season because were typically out-gunned at the most important positions, and on top of that became crippled with injuries. When guys like Mo & Revis come into camp fat and out of shape, no amount of screaming is going cut down their body fat percentages and strengthen their cores. Guys like them already made their decisions on where their seasons (both as a team and as individuals) are going waaaay before Bowles ever laid out the plan for the team during his initial address during the 1st night of the 2016 training camp. And before you spin it that those guys coming into camp out of shape proves how soft Bowles is, go ask Bill Parcells about the 53 pudgy Shakespeares that inhabited his 1987 roster.

Easy schedule. Fitzmagic, and winning very close games with a lot of luck.

We certainly didn't roll over anyone and we came up short down the stretch didn't we?

In fact Rex Ryan knocked us out of the playoffs with his juggernaut of a team while Bowles stared blankly into space. 

Archived