Fair assessment of Hack

Phillyjet

45 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Guys we just dont know if Hack is good. Lets give him five more redshirt years

After this second red shirt season, do you think we should look to extend him on the cheap, or just hold off and use the franchise tag on him after 2019?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still hope Hackenberg gets the chance to start a number of games this year, even if it's just to effectively close the book on him. It's pretty clear at this point that Petty should be the #2 (if not the starter) and that Hack is the team's most worst QB. Be interesting to see who they name #2, that will tell us a lot about the internal politics. 

9 minutes ago, slats said:

I still hope Hackenberg gets the chance to start a number of games this year, even if it's just to effectively close the book on him. It's pretty clear at this point that Petty should be the #2 (if not the starter) and that Hack is the team's most worst QB. Be interesting to see who they name #2, that will tell us a lot about the internal politics. 

The call for more evidence is a waste of time. If he doesn't look competent or even promising in a scrimmage, it takes an insane amount of confirmation bias to believe we need to see him in prime time to say he sucks.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

The call for more evidence is a waste of time. If he doesn't look competent or even promising in a scrimmage, it takes an insane amount of confirmation bias to believe we need to see him in prime time to say he sucks.

I'm not saying I need it, or you need it, but they may very well need it. They obviously favored him over Petty the entire preseason. 

This isn't a good football team. They spent a second round pick on Hackenberg. It's not going to hurt anyone to trot him out there so they can see what he can do when the games count, if only so they can go into the next offseason fully understanding their need at QB. 

Despite what anyone has seen with their own eyes, it would not surprise me if Hackenberg was named #2. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm not saying I need it, or you need it, but they may very well need it. They obviously favored him over Petty the entire preseason. 

This isn't a good football team. They spent a second round pick on Hackenberg. It's not going to hurt anyone to trot him out there so they can see what he can do when the games count, if only so they can go into the next offseason fully understanding their need at QB. 

Despite what anyone has seen with their own eyes, it would not surprise me if Hackenberg was named #2. 

They favoured him because they favour being employed. They already did trot him out. He's putrid. Send him out in prime time, and it will be the 10th year in a row the Jets coach loses the locker room. They may actually refuse to play considering the air balls Hack leaves for WRs to get pancaked across the middle.

4 minutes ago, slats said:

He sure looked like a #2!

Get it, guys?

High Five?

1 minute ago, jgb said:

They favoured him because they favour being employed. They already did trot him out. He's putrid. Send him out in prime time, and it will be the 10th year in a row the Jets coach loses the locker room. They may actually refuse to play considering the air balls Hack leaves for WRs to get pancaked across the middle.

Don't be that guy.  No one likes that guy.

if they can keep hack upright he'll be fine.  a couple of his throws were professional grade and on a couple others, the receiver just misplayed.  i am not so keen on mccown.  talk about throwing mechanics, the guy is almost like fitz with his throwing from all angles.  if he doesn't stay upright it's going to be a very long season.

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

if they can keep hack upright he'll be fine.  a couple of his throws were professional grade and on a couple others, the receiver just misplayed.  i am not so keen on mccown.  talk about throwing mechanics, the guy is almost like fitz with his throwing from all angles.  if he doesn't stay upright it's going to be a very long season.

I've never understood this line of thinking.  He made some good throws, and we should be extrapolate that to the idea that he can be a QB?  I could make the same 26-foot 3-Pointer as Steph Curry.  The difference between him and I is that he can do it more than just "a couple" of times.

20 minutes ago, slats said:

This would confirm for me that there is something going on behind closed doors about Petty.  I see no possible evidence that Hack should be above him in the depth chart.  This isn't a subjective/objective thing.  There is no possible justification for it based on what we, as fans, have seen on the field this preseason.  And while I generally have nothing but disdain for the 'journalists' that cover this team, I would hope and expect them to light everyone up in the press conferences about this if it happened because there is a story there that the coaching staff doesn't seem to want to tell.

17 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Don't be that guy.  No one likes that guy.

Hombre. I live in Singapore. Which means UK English auto correct on my computer and phone. Now I need to go unload the groceries from the boot of my car.

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

After this second red shirt season, do you think we should look to extend him on the cheap, or just hold off and use the franchise tag on him after 2019?

He won't be redshirted this year.  The Oline will not allow it.

29 minutes ago, Ghost said:

A good majority of the guys he was playing against will not have NFL jobs in a couple days, and he still couldn't succeed. 

In the words of John Madden, "he can't hit water if he fell off a boat." 

And on the flipside a majority of the guys he was playing with after the first two drives will not have NFL jobs - it works both ways.

Two runs and a 3rd and long will make any QB look bad. Not saying Hack was good last night but consider the total scenario when throwing out statements like that.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And on the flipside a majority of the guys he was playing with after the first two drives will not have NFL jobs - it works both ways.

Two runs and a 3rd and long will make any QB look bad. Not saying Hack was good last night but consider the total scenario when throwing out statements like that.

image.jpg

83d862ca6be03de5ee238d4456895c9ba2ef149f

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Here is a fact, not opinion: Hack won't be in the NFL in 2018

Can't be a fact as it hasn't happened yet. Even if the Jets  draft a top rated QB in 2018 , they will still carry 3 Qb's next year , there is no reason for them to dump Hack whose on his rookie contract.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Can't be a fact as it hasn't happened yet. Even if the Jets  draft a top rated QB in 2018 , they will still carry 3 Qb's next year , there is no reason for them to dump Hack whose on his rookie contract.

They'll have Bryce Petty and can sign a cheap vet off the street who is way better than Hack.  Oh, and Mike Macagnan won't be around anymore to protect his precious 2nd round pick.

Hey don't blame the kid when the front office may have been guilty of reaching in the draft.
How many of you critics bought Google at 100 bucks a share or Facebook below 20.
Time will tell whether Hack is a bust. It's not his fault the Jets picked him 2nd round.
I'm far from a football expert but I saw the kid make some nice throws this preseason and also make some terrible throws.
Also he made some progress in knowing when to throw the ball away and not try to force a throw.
Granted he isn't Brady but I think it's too soon to throw the towel in on him yet.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Hey don't blame the kid when the front office may have been guilty of reaching in the draft.
How many of you critics bought Google at 100 bucks a share or Facebook below 20.
Time will tell whether Hack is a bust. It's not his fault the Jets picked him 2nd round.
I'm far from a football expert but I saw the kid make some nice throws this preseason and also make some terrible throws.
Also he made some progress in knowing when to throw the ball away and not try to force a throw.
Granted he isn't Brady but I think it's too soon to throw the towel in on him yet.

Yeah and the Jets aren't throwing in the towel. He is a long term development project. If he doesn't pan out, he won't be the first.

26 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yeah and the Jets aren't throwing in the towel. He is a long term development project. If he doesn't pan out, he won't be the first.

And with the rookie contracts revamped a few years back it's not like it forces teams to have to make immediate decisions on Qb's.  Of course the downside of missing on picks is the lack of overall talent, but I'm on an island here I really liked this years draft and I feel there are still players from the last draft that might blossom. I know the year will be bleak but I'm still excited to see the young players develop.

12 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Were you top 100 in your field at 22 years old?

were you the best in your field coming out of high school?

even if he continues to be terrible he's had more success than most in his line of work 

At 22 years old, I was able to perform the job I was in at the time proficiently. Was I "top 100"? No not even close. I'd reserve that kind of status for the Special Ops guys lol. But I was proficient and dependable, and able to perform my duties in a high stress, dangerous environment at a high skill level. 

I didnt go to the Desert, sh*t my pants, start crying, and forget how to operate my M-249. 

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

But if you look at teams that continually successful, like the rival team, they recognize when guys have it and when they don't and they cut bait when they need to. Holding on to these guys (not just Hack) and hoping and praying they turn out just isn't conducive to success. 

1 hour ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Double referring to him as "the kid" cheapest trick possible to try to engender sympathy for a player that does not and will never help this team... except on its quest to draft Darnell.

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

But if you look at teams that continually successful, like the rival team, they recognize when guys have it and when they don't and they cut bait when they need to. Holding on to these guys (not just Hack) and hoping and praying they turn out just isn't conducive to success. 

Fail quickly is as important as drafting competently. Of course, Belichick is completely secure in his job. Lack of such security is what keeps Macc hanging onto that Hack lotto ticket, even though the drawing already happened and no numbers matched.

15 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Just to reiterate, Hack is NOT a Rookie. 

He just finished his second NFL training camp.

This a thousand times.

Hack has been a professional football player for over a year, went through 2 NFL training camps, 1 full NFL offseason with OTAs, has been to every meeting, participated in every practice, etc.  The notion that Hack is essentially a rookie is ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, SMC said:

This a thousand times.

Hack has been a professional football player for over a year, went through 2 NFL training camps, 1 full NFL offseason with OTAs, has been to every meeting, participated in every practice, etc.  The notion that Hack is essentially a rookie is ridiculous.

Well they were 2 Jets training camps... that's probably like three quarters of an NFL training camp.

Archived