Keto Thread

Lizard King

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Thanks Lizzie. Day 12 and my brain feels like it had a cleanse. I'm less grumpy and I'm sleeping better. The mind numbing head ache I had for 36 hours from day 2 to day 3 was tough, but I'm right as rain now. 

Awesome! Stash this away for the future, that headache was the "keto flu" and was due to you pissing all of your salt out. A couple cups of water with salt clears that right up 

Just now, Lizard King said:

Awesome! Stash this away for the future, that headache was the "keto flu" and was due to you pissing all of your salt out. A couple cups of water with salt clears that right up 

Might wife found a keto lemonade recipe and it was nice to sip on. I'm great now. I thought Keto flu  hit week 4ish. My wife hasn't stopped reading about it. I like it because it's the way I like to eat and it's easy to do because rest of my house not bitching about eating deviled eggs covered with bacon . Haha

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Might wife found a keto lemonade recipe and it was nice to sip on. I'm great now. I thought Keto flu  hit week 4ish. My wife hasn't stopped reading about it. I like it because it's the way I like to eat and it's easy to do because rest of my house not bitching about eating deviled eggs covered with bacon . Haha

The flu always came fast for me because you piss out a ton of water weight as your body uses up its final stores of glucose and the salt gets pissed out as a by product. And yeah the stuff you eat on keto is awesome. Make sure To Work in some good fats too though like your unsaturated olive oil. I bet you've already lost 10 lb in water weight?

1 hour ago, Lizard King said:

The flu always came fast for me because you piss out a ton of water weight as your body uses up its final stores of glucose and the salt gets pissed out as a by product. And yeah the stuff you eat on keto is awesome. Make sure To Work in some good fats too though like your unsaturated olive oil. I bet you've already lost 10 lb in water weight?

I'm focusing on healthy fats because of my brain. Coconut, avocado oil and MCT oil. I drink a cup of bullet proof coffee twice a day . So good. Always drank coffee black. Could not stand anything in it. I actually like this. 

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I'm focusing on healthy fats because of my brain. Coconut, avocado oil and MCT oil. I drink a cup of bullet proof coffee twice a day . So good. Always drank coffee black. Could not stand anything in it. I actually like this. 

Nice. Cabot makes a high fat yogurt too if you're into that. Great for your gut

I've been at it for about two years now. I would say initially it helped me to get off sugar and refined carbs. Which is a big positive. In the beginning I didn't touch any sugar or practically any starches. At this point I incorporate some sweet potatoes, oatmeal, brown rice, etc.

I don't consume too much animal protein in one sitting, mostly fish if I can, unpasteurized real cheese too. The key for me is eating a lot of veggies, moderate protein, and not consuming too much fat: moderate amounts of coconut oil and olive oil. I consider things like avocados, cheese, fish, meat eggs, etc. to be the fat now. Avocados are a staple because they are an item I can eat a lot of to satiate myself without eating too much protein and adding excessive fats.

Nuts, hummus, almond butter, seeds, etc. also help with that.

It wasn't till I was in it a long time and was able to limit excessive fats, and revolve my diet around veggies, avocados, nuts, nut and seed butter, that I made the most gains, and got the most out of exercising on top of it.

At some point just doing the fat and not modifying the way I did wasn't working the way I needed it to. But the gains made by sticking it out are worth it, and remarkable. I can bounce off it once in a while, and get right back now also. I think that's actually recommended too.

I did it for general health. I understand there's some people doing for high intensity training and that's something different, and the guidelines would be different.

12 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I've been at it for about two years now. I would say initially it helped me to get off sugar and refined carbs. Which is a big positive. In the beginning I didn't touch any sugar or practically any starches. At this point I incorporate some sweet potatoes, oatmeal, brown rice, etc.

I don't consume too much animal protein in one sitting, mostly fish if I can, unpasteurized real cheese too. The key for me is eating a lot of veggies, moderate protein, and not consuming too much fat: moderate amounts of coconut oil and olive oil. I consider things like avocados, cheese, fish, meat eggs, etc. to be the fat now. Avocados are a staple because they are an item I can eat a lot of to satiate myself without eating too much protein and adding excessive fats.

Nuts, hummus, almond butter, seeds, etc. also help with that.

It wasn't till I was in it a long time and was able to limit excessive fats, and revolve my diet around veggies, avocados, nuts, nut and seed butter, that I made the most gains, and got the most out of exercising on top of it.

At some point just doing the fat and not modifying the way I did wasn't working the way I needed it to. But the gains made by sticking it out are worth it, and remarkable. I can bounce off it once in a while, and get right back now also. I think that's actually recommended too.

I did it for general health. I understand there's some people doing for high intensity training and that's something different, and the guidelines would be different.

I actually decided to try it more for the supposed effect it has on concentration and focus. After 12 days I'm stunned by how different my ability to organize things is. I'm also off a couple meds I have taken for ten year for the same sort of things. My entire family and my employees are still not sure if I'm doing it as a prank or if it's really helping. Truthfully my brain feels fifteen years younger. 

Right now Im all in on the 70-20-10 model but I expect as I go further I too will start adjusting the fat to protein ratios. The other incredible thing I have notice is my energy. I never really realized how harsh the effects of sugar are on my system. Head confusion and literally physical pain. Not kidding. I have been popping up out of bed to walk my dog and hit the gym earlier than I have in years. 

As far as weight loss it's only been ten days and I have definitely shed some water weight. I'm also mentally prepared to train a little harder again do to the changes I feel in my energy levels. I got a ways to go but very happy with the how quickly some things have changed . 

Appreciate you kicking into the thread and will keep posting here as I go forward. 

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I actually decided to try it more for the supposed effect it has on concentration and focus. After 12 days I'm stunned by how different my ability to organize things is. I'm also off a couple meds I have taken for ten year for the same sort of things. My entire family and my employees are still not sure if I'm doing it as a prank or if it's really helping. Truthfully my brain feels fifteen years younger. 

Right now Im all in on the 70-20-10 model but I expect as I go further I too will start adjusting the fat to protein ratios. The other incredible thing I have notice is my energy. I never really realized how harsh the effects of sugar are on my system. Head confusion and literally physical pain. Not kidding. I have been popping up out of bed to walk my dog and hit the gym earlier than I have in years. 

As far as weight loss it's only been ten days and I have definitely shed some water weight. I'm also mentally prepared to train a little harder again do to the changes I feel in my energy levels. I got a ways to go but very happy with the how quickly some things have changed . 

Appreciate you kicking into the thread and will keep posting here as I go forward. 

That sounds excellent. Looking back I was in a fog a lot of times and my energy was bad. Sugar, processed, and refined food was the culprit. In the beginning I also ate way too much protein, meat basically. But it's really a long term thing and how each individual adjusts and tweaks it. Salads, small amounts of fish and real cheese and the weight peels off.

I also used too much salt, on top of excessive fat, and drank excessive coffee. Over time when I've modified the excessive stuff that was a crutch essentially, is when I'm really feeling good. But it's a long term thing and you can't rush it, and I can't be perfect with it so I don't obsess with it. Kicking the sugar and junk is the main thing. Feeling good is the long term goal.

Eating late is also something that hurts me. I had to fix that too. That was a big one. Doesn't really matter what I eat either. Especially any fruit, honey, carbs of any kind, and animal fats. Animal fats, in late meals triggers inflammation in me. So from now on any bone broth I make I'm gonna skim all the fat. I'll also be careful with fatty animal protein in later meals.

I'm very sensitive to the carbs, fruit, whole grains, and sweet potatoes, so even tho I'm incorporating them a little, I see that it I have to be careful with them. I have to be careful with the dairy, even real cheese and yogurt. But a little cheese early and I do okay with that.

I have experimented on and off keto for about a year and while I found it helped with managing body fat, two things:

1. My cholesterol has gone through the roof. Be careful with how you're making up the calories. I have seen buddies that drink straight creamer during the day and eat whole blocks of cheese. There are consequences to this I assure you.

2. I do a couple sports that require heavy endurance, and to be honest I really notice a difference with vs without. That extra gear I need when I'm tired and need to find something else left in the gas tank just isn't there. Ketones are not a substitute for carbohydrates, despite what proponents say.

11 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I have experimented on and off keto for about a year and while I found it helped with managing body fat, two things:

1. My cholesterol has gone through the roof. Be careful with how you're making up the calories. I have seen buddies that drink straight creamer during the day and eat whole blocks of cheese. There are consequences to this I assure you.

2. I do a couple sports that require heavy endurance, and to be honest I really notice a difference with vs without. That extra gear I need when I'm tired and need to find something else left in the gas tank just isn't there. Ketones are not a substitute for carbohydrates, despite what proponents say.

I did keto for about 90 days, went and got my blood done pre and post, and my cholesterol and triglyceride levels were fantastic. I also had a balanced approach to fats using avocados, olive oil, polyunsaturated, the whole spectrum. I also would fry eggs in bacon from time to time. I never had problems with long distance running but they do say that weight lifting can be negatively impacted. Can't speak to that though. 

14 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

I did keto for about 90 days, went and got my blood done pre and post, and my cholesterol and triglyceride levels were fantastic. 

That happened with me too, blood sugar also. But, as time time goes on excessive fat can be a detriment, it was for me. You can go keto with the fat but there's also abusing that in the long term. In the end the fat is in the food for the most part. Moderate amounts of coconut and olive oil works, but too much doesn't.

I do not do any kind of endurance but I swim, with some high intensity, and fish, and I can go a long time on keto. But as soon as I backed off the extra fat, and salt, it got better..maybe much better. The carbs in the vegetables and nuts work for me. There's a name for them that I forget...it's fiber factor in relation the carbs.

11 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

I did keto for about 90 days, went and got my blood done pre and post, and my cholesterol and triglyceride levels were fantastic. I also had a balanced approach to fats using avocados, olive oil, polyunsaturated, the whole spectrum. I also would fry eggs in bacon from time to time. 

That's great to hear. Sounds like you did things more sensible than I. For me the concern was always making up the calories because I have to eat a lot, and one can only eat so many avocados, so I felt I had to go heavy on things throughout the week to make up for missing rice, oatmeal, honey...etc. I didn't do creamer like some savages, but I was going heavy on eggs and fattier meats.

I think keto can be great for people, but it depends on the person. If you're an athlete it's a really tricky rope to manage. And people are also in this weird era of dieting where many are preaching "macros only," and that can be problematic when it comes to the little things.

One more thing worth noting: As I get older one of the things I have noticed is that monitoring my carbs and fat (as long as I keep those clean) doesn't have nearly the same impact on my weight as does monitoring my sources of protein. If I need to cut weight quickly and keeping all things constant, switching to plant-based proteins really helps get rid of water, inflammation, and some fat in an insane hurry. There are always trade-offs of course, as I definitely feel stronger when I have red meat or some fatty fish in my belly.

19 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Have you tried any of that strongman sh*t you used to do while on the diet? Wondering if it would make a difference for you guys. I can't imagine it's even an option for pros.

20 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Have you tried any of that strongman sh*t you used to do while on the diet? Wondering if it would make a difference for you guys. I can't imagine it's even an option for pros.

I just started ten days ago. I have trained twice and have not noticed any physical difference. But mentally I'm looking forward to my workouts more. My biggest thing is getting off the sugar addiction. It was killing me. Right now I feel like Im on parole from sugar prison. I'm going to talk about what I experience as I go forward. 

34 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I just started ten days ago. I have trained twice and have not noticed any physical difference. But mentally I'm looking forward to my workouts more. My biggest thing is getting off the sugar addiction. It was killing me. Right now I feel like Im on parole from sugar prison. I'm going to talk about what I experience as I go forward. 

Haha good luck. I've seen some videos of Brian Shaw and the way that dude eats is nuts. 10k calories per day.

Well, I broke out the My Fitness Pal app today and am trying some meal planning to have more success. I started by taking the chicken Marsala that we got as a meal yesterday and scraped the breeding off, and then guzzled three tablespoons of olive oil. Yeah I could've made a salad but too lazy. I'll probably have the same meal tonight with a salad. I have like three trays of pre-made food. This is going to take a little extra effort. 

31 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

Well, I broke out the My Fitness Pal app today and am trying some meal planning to have more success. I started by taking the chicken Marsala that we got as a meal yesterday and scraped the breeding off, and then guzzled three tablespoons of olive oil. Yeah I could've made a salad but too lazy. I'll probably have the same meal tonight with a salad. I have like three trays of pre-made food. This is going to take a little extra effort. 

Yeah you are hard core. I spent too much of my time in the 80's suffer eating for fitness. Brewers yeast, 24-36 egg whites, dry as dust albacore tuna,sweet potatoes/ yams all wash down with room temperature water from an old plastic milk container. 

At this point I'm very fortunate to have the lovely Mrs Crusher doing the footwork,  reading the books, doing the Facebook and talking with few of her friends that were successful. She has made a few silly recipes so far. Deviled eggs, jalapeño poppers and Parmesan encrusted tilapia. Really good stuff. It's good for us because it's food the kids will eat too. 

35 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah you are hard core. I spent too much of my time in the 80's suffer eating for fitness. Brewers yeast, 24-36 egg whites, dry as dust albacore tuna,sweet potatoes/ yams all wash down with room temperature water from an old plastic milk container. 

At this point I'm very fortunate to have the lovely Mrs Crusher doing the footwork,  reading the books, doing the Facebook and talking with few of her friends that were successful. She has made a few silly recipes so far. Deviled eggs, jalapeño poppers and Parmesan encrusted tilapia. Really good stuff. It's good for us because it's food the kids will eat too. 

you are the hardcore one with that 80's diet. You're lucky about your wife. My wife won't do keto so I am on my own for the meal planning. Definitely makes it harder but it isn't impossible. Just to clarify, I haven't pre-made three platters myself, I have all of this food made by friends that isn't keto compliant that I am working with. It's tricky. 

25 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

you are the hardcore one with that 80's diet. You're lucky about your wife. My wife won't do keto so I am on my own for the meal planning. Definitely makes it harder but it isn't impossible. Just to clarify, I haven't pre-made three platters myself, I have all of this food made by friends that isn't keto compliant that I am working with. It's tricky. 

My wife isn't doing keto. She is just adapting her typical cooking in order to accommodate me because it won't get done I if gotta do it. Without structure Im a brown bear wandering into town to eat out of a dumpster. 

14 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Great job Crush. Keep up the good work.

My son who just graduated college became a personal trainer. He started meal prepping for me a few weeks ago. Sugar was always in everything I did. Lots of soda. I am a few weeks in of drinking basically nothing but water, haven't had salt, sugar or really any caffeine. First few days were a bit of a detox adjustment. Now I am starting to see how bad sugar is and how addicted to it I am.

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Great job Crush. Keep up the good work.

My son who just graduated college became a personal trainer. He started meal prepping for me a few weeks ago. Sugar was always in everything I did. Lots of soda. I am a few weeks in of drinking basically nothing but water, haven't had salt, sugar or really any caffeine. First few days were a bit of a detox adjustment. Now I am starting to see how bad sugar is and how addicted to it I am.

Yeah. I had a HA for a day then my body caught up pretty good.  The sugar cessation is a little easier for me because in the last year or so I have  become physically ill and develop a malaise when eating excess sugar. A subway sub roll would put me to sleep like  baby. Fat gassy baby. 

3 hours ago, Lizard King said:

Well, I have to postpone my foray back into keto for now. My whole fridge is literally stocked full of lasagna and other pasta dishes from caring friends. It's virtually impossible at the moment. I'm going to live vicariously through all of you. 

You got a long life ahead of you. Eat your ass off and enjoy that  new baby. Free food made with love doesn't put weight on you anyways. Go hardcore a little before the holidays so you don't get too far out of the loop. 

Archived