Sheldon Traded

AFJF

Just now, DMan77 said:

I wish people could look at this trade in a vacuum instead of being a deal Mac made.

People are so far in their corner of either liking Mac or hating his guts that it's skewing their viewpoint... This happens with everything in life. Sports, politics... We paint ourselves so far into a corner with a viewpoint that we defend it to the death before we'll let ourselves view it rationally.

Anyway. Pretty good deal I would say. I give it a B+. 

I think Macc did a good job getting a 2nd rounder plus an average player.  I also don't like the deal because I think Richardson is a good (and still young) football player, and this team has very few good football players (you can count them on one hand).

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I wish people could look at this trade in a vacuum instead of being a deal Mac made.

People are so far in their corner of either liking Mac or hating his guts that it's skewing their viewpoint... This happens with everything in life. Sports, politics... We paint ourselves so far into a corner with a viewpoint that we defend it to the death before we'll let ourselves view it rationally.

Actually, I would give this trade an A .  We got a starting young WR and a 2nd round pick for a player every GM in the league knew we were going to trade . And too top it off, we saved some money against our cap for this season . 

5 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I think Macc did a good job getting a 2nd rounder plus an average player.  I also don't like the deal because I think Richardson is a good (and still young) football player, and this team has very few good football players (you can count them on one hand).

This move makes sense -- the Jets have clearly been going for the tank by cutting loose all of the players of value who are unlikely to be here in a year or two. We have too many guys to pay on the DL; Sheldon was always going to be the odd man out with his moronic antics. Getting a 2nd is a dream. 

If Sheldon is the difference between 1-15 and 3-13, then all the better. #SuckForSam

Got the two as the incentive to eat Kearse's contract, but who cares, really. Kearse stinks and Seattle is laughing at the Jets about as much as they were when we hired Idzik away from them. This is a case where Maccagnan had to remove yet another player from the locker room who Todd Bowles couldn't handle. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

Got the two as the incentive to eat Kearse's contract, but who cares, really. Kearse stinks and Seattle is laughing at the Jets about as much as they were when we hired Idzik away from them. This is a case where Maccagnan had to remove yet another player from the locker room who Todd Bowles couldn't handle. 

And I'm laughing at Seattle for the worst playcall in NFL history

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

In principal I agree, but Sheldon was leaving after this year so the Jets would get nothing but a compensatory pic for him.  Now, they get a 2nd for him, which is better.

4 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I think we kind of lucked out with Kony Ealy getting cut by the Pats. Richardson had no place to play with Leo & Mo, and Ealy fits that OLB type to rush the passer. I know a lot of people here hate Macc but it's not like he has a lot to work with folks. 

Next years draft & free agency will literally determine his fate here as the Jets GM. I have faith in him until I don't,lol.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Come on. I can't stand Mac or Bowles, but this is unfair. Sheldon is a piece of sh*t regardless of who his coach is. 

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Actually, I would give this trade an A .  We got a starting young WR and a 2nd round pick for a player every GM in the league knew we were going to trade . And too top it off, we saved some money against our cap for this season . 

Definitely can't argue with that! 

17 minutes ago, Lith said:

I really think that the reason why Jermaine Kearse was in the deal was $$$ for Seattle (plus our obvious need for an experienced WR).  By taking Kearse in addition to the 2 -- it cleared $2MM cap space for Seattle so there was no need for Sheldon to redo his contract.  Deal makes sense for both sides.

I read last night Kearse was being shopped. It's why I knew of his college WCO experience. I looked him up and thought he could be a good addition this yr based on his experience and experience in WCO. 

Dianna Russini‏ @diannaESPN  Aug 30

Sources say Seattle is trying to trade wideout Jermaine Kearse #Seahawks

... it's ok to be wrong ... this is a great trade on many levels.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The Jets have an Extra 5th this year as well, correct?  From Dallas?

If so, 9 picks and more salary cap room than they can probably spend is at least the proper way to start a rebuild. Even if it's 3 years after  they should have done it to begin with. 

They couldn't and for 2 reasons . 

A 1st time HC and GM needed to show that with some talent, they could produce a winning team .

The Money john Idzik didn't spend needed to be spent and it needed to be spent on players that would eat up the  required amount and fulfill the 1st reason .

Just now, Jetster said:

I think we kind of lucked out with Kony Ealy getting cut by the Pats. Richardson had no place to play with Leo & Mo, and Ealy fits that OLB type to rush the passer. I know a lot of people here hate Macc but it's not like he has a lot to work with folks. 

Next years draft & free agency will literally determine his fate here as the Jets GM. I have faith in him until I don't,lol.

Haha but that's fair though! You haven't slotted yourself onto a side. You're just watching and waiting and looking move to move, which I think is the way to do it.

20 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

This was a great trade. 

We were never keeping Richardson after this year, Mac just turned a would be free agent who we may or may not have got a (third round at best) comp pick for into a second rounder.

AND a WR who might help us.

This is a winner, I never thought something like this could be pulled off. 

very unlikely they would get a comp pick.  Comp picks are based on when a team loses more FA's then they sign.  Jets have $80 M cap space next year.  No comp

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Last year Kearse had a 46% Catch Rate, which, along with Hackenberg's 50% completion percentage should really rev the engines of this offense.

We just traded one of our top 3 players for a guy who isn't even one of Seattle's top 3 pass-catchers.  We better get that 2nd.

Actually, he would have been 5th on Seattle's depth chart this year.  They like his blocking but he struggles to create separation.  According to Rotoworld, we get their 2nd round pick and we swap 7th round picks.  If that is accurate, it is a good deal -- it is all about the 2nd round pick.  Seattle probably insisted we take Kearse in order to get the 2nd since he is under contract through 2018 ($5 million) and they have a log jam at WR.

2 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

Actually, he would have been 5th on Seattle's depth chart this year.  They like his blocking but he struggles to create separation.  According to Rotoworld, we get their 2nd round pick and we swap 7th round picks.  If that is accurate, it is a good deal -- it is all about the 2nd round pick.  Seattle probably insisted we take Kearse in order to get the 2nd since he is under contract through 2018 ($5 million) and they have a log jam at WR.

No more guaranteed $. 

Archived