Sheldon Traded

AFJF

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

If it was Sheldon for Kearse, as much as I wanted him gone, that definitely would have been a bad deal.  With the second rounder coming, that is obviously the important part of the deal, and makes Kearse's involvement in this trade rather minimal.  It essentially works out to a 2nd for Sheldon, and the Jets trading down in the 7th for Kearse.

Quite frankly, I'm hoping that both Stewart and Hansen are passing Kearse by on the depth chart by season's end.

IMO they already have. Again IMO Kearse was thrown in because Richardson wouldn't re-do his deal, so the Jets took Kearse to give them cap relief. 

20 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I wonder what the difference is between the situations.

Jets have 3 out of 13 , Pats have 4 out of 16 - you tell me .  Is it that they have sooooo much talent then can afford to not keep 1st round picks or is it the nature of the draft and the salary cap era of football that 1st round picks don't spend their whole careers with the teams that drafted them anymore.

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

IMO they already have. Again IMO Kearse was thrown in because Richardson wouldn't re-do his deal, so the Jets took Kearse to give them cap relief. 

Agree that was probably the reason he was involved, but I imagine he'll still get the starts early in the season, particularly given those two are both still catching up from missing camp time with injuries.

24 minutes ago, AFJF said:

So we go from "there's no way in hell Mac gets a second for Sheldon.  Reports of second round pick is fake news"

Mac gets a second rounder and a veteran receiver and it's 

"Oh my god, Mac is so stupid for making this deal"

Much hilarity ensues....

I could care less about the compensation Sheldon is the best player arguably on the team, I'll give the Leo arguments, and concede, but I think Sheldon has been the best player this preseason on this team, and it's not even close.

28 minutes ago, NYallDay said:

Strongly disagree. Great trade. Got great value for a player who is about to be a FA and we were not resigning him. Got. 2nd rounder, 7th rounder swap, and a 2/3 wr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they got Paul Richardson then I'd be a lot less upset.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I could care less about the compensation Sheldon is the best player arguably on the team, I'll give the Leo arguments, and concede, but I think Sheldon has been the best player this preseason on this team, and it's not even close.

...And he would have been gone by March if this hadn't happened.

The Jets got ahead on this one, for once, and got value back. An inexplicable amount one might say.

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Not surprising in the least.  I thought Mac was going to hold out until the deadline and try to get a first.  Sheldon has always said the he plays for the big pay day.  What happens when he gets it?  Is he a HOFer, or is he Haynesworth?

1 minute ago, Tony MaC said:

...And he would have been gone by March if this hadn't happened.

The Jets got ahead on this one, for once, and got value back. An inexplicable amount one might say.

No you cut Wilkerson, and sign Sheldon he is the better player by far.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Not surprising in the least.  I thought Mac was going to hold out until the deadline and try to get a first.  Sheldon has always said the he plays for the big pay day.  What happens when he gets it?  Is he a HOFer, or is he Haynesworth?

Fair question, I won't argue the risk.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

The fact that we such a bad team and we are $13 million in dead cap space is all I'm talking about. 

I don't care about credibility. 

Lets see if you sing the same tune next year when we have around 80m to spend.  SOJF bitch about a positive more... what a twit. 

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Darryl Slater‏ @DarrylSlater  

Richardson-Kearse trade created $5.869M in cap space for #Jets. Currently have $26.385M in cap space, per @Jason_OTC. Can carry over to '18.

Ends making CAP room for us, not the other way around. There ya go @joewilly12, breathe easy now lol.

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

Richardson hasn't done nothing in the NFL .. Kearse has been atleast been productive . And ha shown the ability to be very clutch 

Watch the last 7 games from last season including the playoffs, first time Richardson was healthy, dude was a beast.

34 minutes ago, AFJF said:

So we go from "there's no way in hell Mac gets a second for Sheldon.  Reports of second round pick is fake news"

Mac gets a second rounder and a veteran receiver and it's 

"Oh my god, Mac is so stupid for making this deal"

Much hilarity ensues....

My issue is and will always be with Macc not adding '18 picks during the '17 draft.   if he had made a deal similar to the bills we would be looking at an additional 1st rd pick next year in addition to the #2 from CLE.    

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Fair question, I won't argue the risk.

Being completely honest, I think he's more HOFer than Hayneworth even after the money.  To play as hard as he has for the past few years on bad teams, I think that's legitimately his motor.  However, can't fault a GM for not willing to take that risk given his off-field history and admission that the money is what motivates him.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

Watch the last 7 games from last season including the playoffs, first time Richardson was healthy, dude was a beast.

Locker room issues aside Sheldon was probably the Jets best asset and player. That being said, there is probably very little chance he was ever going to be a cornerstone for this team by the time (optimistically ever) if they are super bowl competitive again. 

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Whether we like it or not, I think this move also signifies that Macc will be around after this season.  For better or worse.

Don't know if the same can be said about Bowles.

He certainly believes he will be, but that was clear the moment he was willing to cut every veteran on the roster.

Well, after 3 yrs of trade rumors involving Richardson, it finally happened.

Honestly, I don't expect much from Kearse - if we get some production out of him this season, that's a bonus.

But hey who knows, he's still only 27 and sometimes a change in scenery is all it takes.

That aside, the 2nd round pick alone makes this trade worthwhile IMHO.

Let us not forget that Richardson is one failed drug test or one personal conduct violation away from a multiple regular season game ban - he has a previous suspension for both on his record already; a 4 game suspension for a failed drug test in 2015 - and a 1 game suspension in 2016 for a personal conduct violation.

Richardson has already proven that he is not exactly the picture of self-discipline.

Archived