Darnold, Allen, Rosen

Titan24

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Josh Allen will still go in the first round if he finishes strong.

https://www.google.com/amp/draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/09/21/josh-allen-still-no-2-on-todd-mcshays-latest-big-board-for-2018-nfl-draft/amp/

It’s been a rough start to the 2017 season for Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen, who came into the year with tons of hype and lofty projections for his draft status.

He has struggled mightily against quality competition, leading many to wonder if he’s truly worthy of the high expectations.

One such draft analyst who seems unfazed by Allen’s early struggles is ESPN’s Todd McShay, who still has Allen ranked No. 2 overall on his latest big board for the 2018 draft:

Outside of scouting circles, Allen was a relative unknown coming into the season. He didn’t even have a Division I scholarship out of high school. His two appearances in the national spotlight this month (at Iowa, versus Oregon) haven’t gone well, but it’s not all on his shoulders. He has an elite arm and frame (listed at 6-foot-5, 233 pounds) and can make every throw. Darnold has been better this season, but the USC quarterback also has much more talent surrounding him.

There’s no denying Allen’s physical tools, and he doesn’t have the strongest supporting cast around him. But it’s hard to ignore his inability to perform at a high level against top competition, having thrown just three touchdowns to 10 interceptions in his career against Power 5 schools.

USC quarterback Sam Darnold is the only other player ranked ahead of Allen, while UCLA’s Josh Rosen is the lone other quarterback in McShay’s rankings (No. 7).

You can have all the "elite" tools in the world, that doesn't mean anything on the field. He needs more than tools and so far he doesn't seem to have the mental make up of a Franchise QB. No thanks... 

nextJEtQBcolor.jpg

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Stark said:

You can have all the "elite" tools in the world, that doesn't mean anything on the field. He needs more than tools and so far he doesn't seem to have the mental make up of a Franchise QB. No thanks... 

nextJEtQBcolor.jpg

I'm not saying Baker Mayfield will be either good, or bad as an NFL QB, BUT I will be ******* shocked if a NFL team drafts him in the 1st round, he has way to many question marks as far as NFL (albeit stupidly) evaluaters are concerned.

45 minutes ago, Stark said:

nextJEtQBcolor.jpg

Yeah I have no desire in drafting this kid in the 1st round. But someone will definitelt over draft him.

39 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I'm not saying Baker Mayfield will be either good, or bad as an NFL QB, BUT I will be ******* shocked if a NFL team drafts him in the 1st round, he has way to many question marks as far as NFL (albeit stupidly) evaluaters are concerned.

12 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Yeah I have no desire in drafting this kid in the 1st round. But someone will definitelt over draft him.

I replaced Allen's picture with Mayfield's just because Allen had dropped off and Mayfield is playing pretty damn well. 

If we can't get Darnold or Rosen, I don't take a QB rd.1, but I wouldn't be afraid to take Mayfield in Rd.2, but I agree with you both, he will probably be gone by then.

The battle of the year: USC vs Cal (Darnold) = "Turnover fest". 

This highlight reel doesnt even show all of the dropped INT's by both QB's, but in particular Darnold. I do think Rosen is a better QB overall, but Darnold is seriously living off of Rosebowl hype, to the highest degree. This guy is not that good in terms of the hype surrounding him. When the pocket is clean and he can go through his reads he's a solid guy, but anytime the defense "defends" this guy becomes suspect with his decision making. He's not what people prop him up to be. Sam Darnold was really making some poor decisions with throwing the football that Cal simply couldnt capitalize on and we've seen it in just about every game this season. 

You remove that Rosebowl game and this guy is just a QB for USC, nothing more. 

21 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The battle of the year: USC vs Cal (Darnold vs Rosen) = "Turnover fest". 

This highlight reel doesnt even show all of the dropped INT's by both QB's, but in particular Darnold. I do think Rosen is a better QB overall, but Darnold is seriously living off of Rosebowl hype, to the highest degree. This guy is not that good in terms of the hype surrounding him. When the pocket is clean and he can go through his reads he's a solid guy, but anytime the defense "defends" this guy becomes suspect with his decision making. He's not what people prop him up to be. Sam Darnold was really making some poor decisions with throwing the football that Cal simply couldnt capitalize on and we've seen it in just about every game this season. 

You remove that Rosebowl game and this guy is just a QB for USC, nothing more. 

HERESY 

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

Huge night for Falk.. he's really number 3 in these conversations. 

CBS has Rudolph #1 over Darnold and Rosen.  I would put Falk at 5 behind Mayfield and the other 3.  And Lamar Jackson, there can be legitimately 6 options in the draft next year.

Luke Falk's skill set really fits the offense (WCO) we're running.  He has a quick release, he's accurate, he's

not shy about throwing into tight windows in the middle of the field.  And he's shown enough arm strength 

to take vertical shots down the field.  His performance against USC was outstanding and I'm warming up to

the idea of him being on our radar

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000817592/article/first-look-scouting-washington-state-qb-luke-falk

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Luke Falk's skill set really fits the offense (WCO) we're running.  He has a quick release, he's accurate, he's

not shy about throwing into tight windows in the middle of the field.  And he's shown enough arm strength 

to take vertical shots down the field.  His performance against USC was outstanding and I'm warming up to

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000817592/article/first-look-scouting-washington-state-qb-luke-falk

It's funny, I have hated this kid's game forever because of his lack of arm strength . Then John Morton came to the Jets and install the offense he's running and I saw this kid make every throw against USC that Morton required McCown to make thus far and I became intrigued . All of a sudden i'm looking at different type of QBs, but truth be told, i'm intrigued by the Kid from Oklahoma .  I think @Villain The Foe has a live one on his hand . I'm going to make a statement and take my licks .

IMO, Russell Wilson is an athlete playing the QB position but Baker Mayfield is a QB who just happens to be athletic . 

8 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

It's funny, I have hated this kid's game forever because of his lack of arm strength . Then John Morton came to the Jets and install the offense he's running and I saw this kid make every throw against USC that Morton required McCown to make thus far and I became intrigued . All of a sudden i'm looking at different type of QBs, but truth be told, i'm intrigued by the Kid from Oklahoma .  I think @Villain The Foe has a live one on his hand . I'm going to make a statement and take my licks .

IMO, Russell Wilson is an athlete playing the QB position but Baker Mayfield is a QB who just happens to be athletic . 

I agree with the point on how our OC has changed my mind about the different "flavors" of QB's that are out there.  People have

focused on Darnold & Rosen but there are definitely intriguing options after those two and Falk & Mayfield have to be taken seriously

4 hours ago, KRL said:

Totally agree with this, plus Falk's personality is already where it needs to be as far as being a professional.  Hes basically obsessed with Brady, goes to sleep at 9pm every night, only eats organic and lives/breathes football which is what you need.

Morton/Bates could to a lot with a smart, experienced (he will finish with 30+ college starts) player who is accurate with the football but can also hit a deep ball to Robby Anderson.

He will finish the season with Stanford, Utah and Washington all of which will be tough games, in cold weather which should be good viewing for Jet fans

Since it is likely that the jets may not be in a position to consider Darnold/Rosen, what are some other potential QBs people like? Falk fits WCO, but what if the coaching staff changes again (and the offense).    What about Jake Browining? he may be worth a shot too.

11 hours ago, Dinamite said:

Since it is likely that the jets may not be in a position to consider Darnold/Rosen, what are some other potential QBs people like? Falk fits WCO, but what if the coaching staff changes again (and the offense).    What about Jake Browining? he may be worth a shot too.

I dont think Browning has the arm strength to be successful in the NFL.

13 hours ago, Dinamite said:

No to Browning . Faulk fits and so does Mason . Mayfield is intriguing but his height is going to have to be determined . Jackson is a wildcard . 

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

No to Browning . Faulk fits and so does Mason . Mayfield is intriguing but his height is going to have to be determined . Jackson is a wildcard . 

Since Morton was in NO (Brees) I don't think he'll have a bias against shorter QB's as long as they can play

Just now, KRL said:

Since Morton was in NO (Brees) I don't think he'll have a bias against shorter QB's as long as they can play

The bias is on my part, but that kid has a moxie that's seen only in the best of the best .. It's weird, but he's like a pint size Aaron Rodgers .

18 hours ago, Dinamite said:

browning would make penningtons arm strength look like elway

So what is a fair ranking of the top QBs?   And who would be a good fit for the jets?

1- Darnold - Likely will not be within reach for jets.

2- Rosen- Likely will not be within reach for jets (although you never know if someone sours on some minor attitude issue).

3- Lamar Jackson - Intriguing but may need some work to become pocket passer

4- Allen - Scouts love him, but he seems like a Hack type - all the measurables, without the performance.

5- Falk - Intriguing, but Air-Raid system qbs are questionable.

6- Mayfield

7- Rudolph

8- Anyone else?

3 hours ago, KRL said:

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

The bias is on my part, but that kid has a moxie that's seen only in the best of the best .. It's weird, but he's like a pint size Aaron Rodgers .

We all know that the height and weight measureables are not "trustworthy" from their schools. He does have a demeanor that you like for sure. He is not pint sized, just an inch or 2 short.

Mayfield is listed at 6'1" - 220lbs. - multiply online sites

Brees 6'0" - 209lbs - Saints Site

Russell Wilson 5"11" - 215lbs -  Seahawks Site.

Aaron Rodgers 6'2" - 225lbs -Packers Site.

1 hour ago, Dinamite said:

So what is a fair ranking of the top QBs?   And who would be a good fit for the jets?

2- Rosen- Likely will not be within reach for jets (although you never know if someone sours on some minor attitude issue).

4- Allen - Scouts love him, but he seems like a Hack type - all the measurables, without the performance.

6- Mayfield

7- Rudolph

8- Anyone else?

8- Clayton Thorson

1 hour ago, Dinamite said:

6- Mayfield

7- Rudolph

8- Anyone else?

1 - Rosen- Likely will not be within reach for jets 

2 - Darnold - Likely will not be within reach for jets.

3a- Mayfield 3b-Lamar Jackson - Intriguing but may need some work to become pocket passer

5 - Falk - Intriguing, but Air-Raid system qbs are questionable.

6 - Rudolph

7 - Clayton Thorson

8 - Allen - Scouts love him, but he seems like a Hack type - all the measurables, without the performance. 

CBS Sportsline has Mason Rudolph as his #1 prospect on his board.  With so many different types of QBs this year, I doubt there will be a consensus top guy.  

Allen shouldn't be in the discussion.  His stats are beyond terrible and he is an underclassman.  No reason he should declare to get drafted in the 7th round.

1. Rudolph

2. Rosen

3. Darnold

4. Falk

5. Mayfield

6. Jackson

55 minutes ago, Pcola said:

CBS Sportsline has Mason Rudolph as his #1 prospect on his board.  With so many different types of QBs this year, I doubt there will be a consensus top guy.  

Allen shouldn't be in the discussion.  His stats are beyond terrible and he is an underclassman.  No reason he should declare to get drafted in the 7th round.

1. Rudolph

2. Rosen

3. Darnold

4. Falk

5. Mayfield

6. Jackson

Mason Rudolph is Bryce Petty, but with more talent around him.

Here is what turnonthejets.com had in their weekly QB reivew on Falk

Washington St. QB Luke Falk (Last week: 4)

Result: 30-27 win over USC

Stats: 34/51, 340 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT

Analysis: In the words of the great Ric Flair, “To be the man, you gotta beat the man.” Falk was lights out last Friday night en route to an upset over USC, earning a jump over “the man” to No. 2 on this list.

Before the tweets and comments start rolling in, let me squash the notion that I think Falk is a better prospect than Darnold. Remember that this list is simply a power ranking of the QB prospects to give you a sense of how they are currently performing. It is NOT my 2018 big board.

Falk has been stellar since his benching against Boise St. He has been accurate, efficient and made the big throws down the field when needed. If you take the time to watch him play — which is not always easy considering he typically plays the 10:30 “Pac-12 After Dark” game — you will see a polished QB ready to start in the NFL from day one. His best attribute lies between the ears, he goes through his progressions well and he gets the ball out of his hand quickly.

If the Jets keep winning games and play themselves out of a top-five pick, Falk will become a name to watch.

Next matchup: 10/7 @ Oregon at 8:00 p.m. (FOX)

Im not sure what else I would want read, other then a QB is accurate, goes through progressions (ie scans whole field), has a good internal clock and a mind for the game.  I know there is greater upside with someone who may or not have elite physical skills, but I would rather move down in the first, pick up another selection and take someone like Falk who can step in, command a short-passing offense, and use the additional picks to strengthen the team around him.

Falk is quickly becoming the guy I want for 2018 and beyond

Since I fear we will not be in position to get Darnold or Rosen. I'd like Falk or Mayfield or Allen in the 2nd round, or trading back into lower first round. 

Allen a clear gamble. Falk or Mayfield in the right system both can be good starters in this league.

11 hours ago, BCJet said:

Here is what turnonthejets.com had in their weekly QB reivew on Falk

Washington St. QB Luke Falk (Last week: 4)

Result: 30-27 win over USC

Stats: 34/51, 340 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT

Analysis: In the words of the great Ric Flair, “To be the man, you gotta beat the man.” Falk was lights out last Friday night en route to an upset over USC, earning a jump over “the man” to No. 2 on this list.

Before the tweets and comments start rolling in, let me squash the notion that I think Falk is a better prospect than Darnold. Remember that this list is simply a power ranking of the QB prospects to give you a sense of how they are currently performing. It is NOT my 2018 big board.

Falk has been stellar since his benching against Boise St. He has been accurate, efficient and made the big throws down the field when needed. If you take the time to watch him play — which is not always easy considering he typically plays the 10:30 “Pac-12 After Dark” game — you will see a polished QB ready to start in the NFL from day one. His best attribute lies between the ears, he goes through his progressions well and he gets the ball out of his hand quickly.

If the Jets keep winning games and play themselves out of a top-five pick, Falk will become a name to watch.

Next matchup: 10/7 @ Oregon at 8:00 p.m. (FOX)

Im not sure what else I would want read, other then a QB is accurate, goes through progressions (ie scans whole field), has a good internal clock and a mind for the game.  I know there is greater upside with someone who may or not have elite physical skills, but I would rather move down in the first, pick up another selection and take someone like Falk who can step in, command a short-passing offense, and use the additional picks to strengthen the team around him.

Falk is quickly becoming the guy I want for 2018 and beyond

You don't have to win me over, I've been blowing his horn since last year. He's got NFL touch, timing and accuracy. I think he actually stands a chance to be better in the NFL -- working in pro offense that takes advantage of his skills 

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

You don't have to win me over, I've been blowing his horn since last year. He's got NFL touch, timing and accuracy. I think he actually stands a chance to be better in the NFL -- working in pro offense that takes advantage of his skills 

I forgot who, but some scout or coach once said, paraphrasing here: "you can get better arm strength. There's NFL training, diets, mechanic improvements that can get some more strength. But rarely can you ever become accurate in the NFL if you weren't in college."

That's so true. I think accuracy and anticipation with throws are the hardest and most important. Falk is fantastic at both. He'd be a steal in the early 2nd round. Although, he'll probably be taken in the late first.

If Rosen/Darnold are not within reach, an accurate QB like Falk would be ideal in West coast system.   Not sure about second round, he will likely go mid to late first (a la Pennington at 18) because he is a QB and who doesn't need one these days outside of a handful of teams.

On 10/7/2017 at 8:17 PM, Paradis said:

Tune into Wazzu @ ORE... falk time. So far, 1 pass, TD for Falk

I was very impressed with Falk's ability to stand in the pocket, while it was literally collapsing around him and still make a throw.  He did miss some throws vs Oregon, and isn't perfect, but I think his pocket presence was really good saturday night.

I also watched the Oklahoma loss and Mayfield didnt seem to lack arm strength to me.  

Given the Giants situation and another Jets win, we need to stop thinking about Rose/Darnonld (which Im fine with) and focus on Falk, Jackson and Mayfield.

Archived