Darnold, Allen, Rosen

Titan24

Apparently from Cimini, Mac was on the field for UCLA/USC during warm ups writing notes (his contemporaries weren't writing notes. During the game he watched from the crowd (his contemporaries were in press box), and seemingly mostly focused on UCLA.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/72943/jets-gm-gets-a-very-up-close-look-at-sam-darnold-josh-rosen

I think MAC is gearing up to bet the house, trade up for Rosen, as of now. There is still plenty to go over (interviews, pro days, private work outs, physicals), but I think Rosen is his guy, and wants to make sure that every t is crossed and i dotted before he trades all the picks it will take to get him.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Apparently from Cimini, Mac was on the field for UCLA/USC during warm ups writing notes (his contemporaries weren't writing notes. During the game he watched from the crowd (his contemporaries were in press box), and seemingly mostly focused on UCLA.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/72943/jets-gm-gets-a-very-up-close-look-at-sam-darnold-josh-rosen

I think MAC is gearing up to bet the house, trade up for Rosen, as of now. There is still plenty to go over (interviews, pro days, private work outs, physicals), but I think Rosen is his guy, and wants to make sure that every t is crossed and i dotted before he trades all the picks it will take to get him.

I agree that Rosen is Macc's guy.  I just can't see Macc successfully trading for him.  In all likelihood, Rosen will be drafted 1 or 2. Only way jets stand a chance of getting that pick is if 49rs hold it.  Browns are not trading it and Giants will not trade with jets.  Not sure any other team is close to dethroning  those teams for the top 2 picks.

4 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

If we are able to trade up, it’s gonna cost us a ton of the next three drafts.  Which after 8 seasons of Sanchez/Geno/Fitz/McCown, I’m up for what ever it takes to get one of the CA kids.

28 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Really?  Ask the Brooklyn Nets how that worked out

I’d rather keep our picks, hope a decent qb falls to 12 and draft well but we need a real GM and coach first

the Nets gave away all their picks for years to acquire ancient veterans, that's very different than moving up in an NFL draft. if they believe a longterm quality starter is available and have to move up then they need to do that but if they are not convinced they cannot move up just b/c of fan/media pressure to draft certain players.

56 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I’d rather keep our picks, hope a decent qb falls to 12 and draft well but we need a real GM and coach first

Apples and oranges my man. Nets traded away picks for over the hill aged players. Rams and Eagles both traded up a lot of picks for their QB’s. 

Neither team was a playoff team at the time. Both (in year 2 are division leaders). 

A franchise quarterback is a game changer for a franchise. I get your point, if you miss on one, you’re screwed. But if you believe your guy is there, go get him.

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Ask the Eagles how trading away a bunch of picks for Wentz worked out. Ask the Rams about Goff.

hoping for a QB to fall is why we are in the position we are in. GO GET YOUR GUY. YOU SPEND A TON OF MONEY AND TIME SCOUTING THE PLAYERS..... DON'T HOPE THEY "FALL" TO YOU, TRADE UP AND GO GET THEM.

2 hours ago, Stark said:

Ask the Eagles how trading away a bunch of picks for Wentz worked out. Ask the Rams about Goff.

hoping for a QB to fall is why we are in the position we are in. GO GET YOUR GUY. YOU SPEND A TON OF MONEY AND TIME SCOUTING THE PLAYERS..... DON'T HOPE THE "FALL" TO YOU, TRADE UP AND GO GET THEM.

This is the same philosophy that doomed the Jets in the 80’s.  They were more concerned in finding the star no one else had heard of or had no desire in drafting (O’Brien, Vick, Lageman).  Several draft, I though the Jets goal was just to prove everyone wrong.

10 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

To bad Macc didn't realize this in the 2016 draft for Wentz ?

I firmly believe that Bowles was reason for that. I do. I really believe he said some “we’re just a few pieces away with Fitz. No need to sell our future.” 

It was there in our hands, even if it were Goff, we’d be set. Then we are in prime spot to draft Mahomes or Watson, without trading up. I love Jamal Adams, but Brian Westbrook has 0 rings. You get what i’m saying.

18 hours ago, Stark said:

hoping for a QB to fall is why we are in the position we are in. GO GET YOUR GUY. YOU SPEND A TON OF MONEY AND TIME SCOUTING THE PLAYERS..... DON'T HOPE THEY "FALL" TO YOU, TRADE UP AND GO GET THEM.

Funny you act like Aaron Rodgers didn’t fall to pick #24, Brady to pick #199, Brett Favre to round 2 or Dak Prescott to round 4

And you have no idea who is going to be a good qb,  most of this board and Rich Cimini were screaming Paxton Lynch, not Wentz, 2 years ago

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Funny you act like Aaron Rodgers didn’t fall to pick #24, Brady to pick #199, Brett Favre to round 2 or Dak Prescott to round 4

And you have no idea who is going to be a good qb,  most of this board and Rich Cimini were screaming Paxton Lynch, not Wentz, 2 years ago

Really? way to cherry pick 4 guys. Also you are saying those guys like it was a no brainer pick at the time, do you think Mac would have taken any of them, we know he didn't value Dak as much as he should. Rodgers was the worst miss of the 4, but he didn't help himself as the stories say about him being arrogant and turning off some coaches. Brady was an anomaly, seriously, no one thought/projected him to be as good as he is. Favre was projected as a mid to late first round QB. Dak had the DUI which is the main reason he fell. 

Most begging for Lynch (maybe they were)... I remember a lot begging to trade up for Wentz. 

The point I was making is, waiting to hope someone falls is not the way to approach the QB position. There is a lot of luck involved with that position as it is, so waiting to see if hopefully a decent QB falls is not the smartest thing to do. When you scout the QB's and set your board you can't be scared to go get the top guy. That was my point. Sure everyone would love to get Rosen or Darnold at 12, but thats not happening. 

So to your original point of hoping a decent QB falls to you is asking for this team to take a QB just because we need one and the guy that falls may not be the best guy for this offense. This is how you end up with Josh Allen and 5 more years of crappy QB play, until the next QB is drafted.

4 hours ago, Stark said:

Really? way to cherry pick 4 guys. Also you are saying those guys like it was a no brainer pick at the time, do you think Mac would have taken any of them, we know he didn't value Dak as much as he should. Rodgers was the worst miss of the 4, but he didn't help himself as the stories say about him being arrogant and turning off some coaches. Brady was an anomaly, seriously, no one thought/projected him to be as good as he is. Favre was projected as a mid to late first round QB. Dak had the DUI which is the main reason he fell. 

Most begging for Lynch (maybe they were)... I remember a lot begging to trade up for Wentz. 

The point I was making is, waiting to hope someone falls is not the way to approach the QB position. There is a lot of luck involved with that position as it is, so waiting to see if hopefully a decent QB falls is not the smartest thing to do. When you scout the QB's and set your board you can't be scared to go get the top guy. That was my point. Sure everyone would love to get Rosen or Darnold at 12, but thats not happening. 

So to your original point of hoping a decent QB falls to you is asking for this team to take a QB just because we need one and the guy that falls may not be the best guy for this offense. This is how you end up with Josh Allen and 5 more years of crappy QB play, until the next QB is drafted.

It’s not cherry picking when literally 50% or more of franchise qbs were guys not taken top 10

Yes I’d love to have a top 3 pick right now but it’s stupid to trade our next 5 drafts for a qb who already has a lengthy injury history or a 6 foot system qb

I like your avatar tho

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

It’s not cherry picking when literally 50% or more of franchise qbs were guys not taken top 10

Yes I’d love to have a top 3 pick right now but it’s stupid to trade our next 5 drafts for a qb who already has a lengthy injury history or a 6 foot system qb

I like your avatar tho

Since you said the 50% figure I was curious to see what the current trend selection is. Gray names at the bottom are Qbs that I don't consider to be Franchise QB's at this point (playing time, lack thereof, or being on multiple teams etc...) The stretch that I left in was Trubisky, but the point of this chart is not a right/wrong discussion. Just showing the current teams QB, and where taken. 16 Qb's taken in Rd 1, 6 Qb's Rd 2 or later.

Then you have the bottom 10 QB's of which the draft rds are close to split. 

3 - 1st rd ------ 4 - 2nd rd ------ 1 - 3rd rd ------ 1 - 6th rd ------ 1 - Undrafted

QBs.xlsx.jpg

24 minutes ago, KRL said:

Scouting takes on USC/UCLA game, some not flattering:

http://draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-notes-110

This isn’t a knock on the author, but this guy has never seen a QB he likes.

That said, when the have Case Keenum, Josh McCown, Kizer, Beathard, Taylor, Matt Moore, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Hundley, Tom Savage, Drew Stanton, and the corpse of Eli Manning all starting NFL games, one can only guess why ratings are down.  There are only about half a dozen good teams in the league.  The rest are greatly flawed with little to no chance at winning anything.

Are Darnold and Rosen ready to step in and take the NFL by storm.  No.  But neither was Goff or Wentz.  Winston and Mariota struggled as rookies.  Cam struggled for a while.  

So while playing likes of the trash heap from my earlier paragraph might win you an extra game or two in year one, the the end of year two the younger generation would have surpassed the JAG status.

We can be bold and take a risk by moving up and at least giving our team a chance or we can continue to sit on our hands, play it safe, and hope everything goes perfectly and we make the 6th seed every 8 years.

52 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

The main problem on the moving up theory is that it is contingent on someone wanting to move down.   Are the teams in the top 2 slots going to be willing to pass on a potential franchise QB? Maybe only SF at this point.

This is what I said last year when a lot of people were saying to just trade down. it takes 2 teams to pull a move up or down off, it is not as simple as just doing 1 or the other.

But... when you are the team trying to move up you have to make a strong offer, if not the team you want to switch with will most likely just stay put. 

the-godfather.gif

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We are going to not be able to make a deal to trade up in the 1st few picks, we will make our pick in the 1st round and will then trade back up into the end of the 1st round to get Allen.

Nah, right now everything seems impossible -- but it's not like the first 3 teams in the draft are going to take QBs. Some teams like the Giants, CHI etc, will listen to overtures. I agree it's going to be tough to get into those top 2 spots, but i think that's why the Jets are seriously entertaining Mayfield. If we want him bad enough (for example), then we'll make it happen. 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We are going to not be able to make a deal to trade up in the 1st few picks, we will make our pick in the 1st round and will then trade back up into the end of the 1st round to get Allen.

I wouldn't play with fire that way.  There are a few teams that will be drafting late in the round that should be thinking QB.  Pats just lost Jimmy G.  Saints have to be thinking about life after Brees.  Steelers, Chargers, Broncos, Cardinals.  Any one of them could snap up a QB. 

I'd rather miss out on the best Long Snapper in the draft if it means locking down whoever the guy is we want.  

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Nah, right now everything seems impossible -- but it's not like the first 3 teams in the draft are going to take QBs. Some teams like the Giants, CHI etc, will listen to overtures. I agree it's going to be tough to get into those top 2 spots, but i think that's why the Jets are seriously entertaining Mayfield. If we want him bad enough (for example), then we'll make it happen. 

I am curious, was there an article or some news that suggested the jets were very serious about Mayfield? I only see articles suggesting that they are heavily scouting Rosen, Darnold and Allen.   I would be happy to hear they are also interested in Mayfield and Jackson for example.

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Sorry to break it to you guys but even Allen won’t be available when we pick 

14 hours ago, Dinamite said:

The main problem on the moving up theory is that it is contingent on someone wanting to move down.   Are the teams in the top 2 slots going to be willing to pass on a potential franchise QB? Maybe only SF at this point.

SF will definitely be looking to trade down.  Browns won’t 

4 hours ago, Dinamite said:

I am curious, was there an article or some news that suggested the jets were very serious about Mayfield? I only see articles suggesting that they are heavily scouting Rosen, Darnold and Allen.   I would be happy to hear they are also interested in Mayfield and Jackson for example.

Little tid bits here and there. Some of it from inside here on JN. 

15 hours ago, nycdan said:

I wouldn't play with fire that way.  There are a few teams that will be drafting late in the round that should be thinking QB.  Pats just lost Jimmy G.  Saints have to be thinking about life after Brees.  Steelers, Chargers, Broncos, Cardinals.  Any one of them could snap up a QB. 

I'd rather miss out on the best Long Snapper in the draft if it means locking down whoever the guy is we want.  

I'm not saying what we should do I am saying what we will do.....this being the Jets. 

On 11/22/2017 at 10:00 AM, nycdan said:

We are SOoooooooooooo going to draft Josh Allen.

This is what scares the crap out of me.  On a side note, my last name is Allen, so I could get a jersey with my name on it, but it would be at the cost of a draft bust that will most likely conjure up the ghost of butt fumbles.

On 11/23/2017 at 7:27 AM, Lupz27 said:

Nobody in the NFL is interested in Baker Mayfield in the First round NOBODY!

This is what people were saying about Mahomes too. 

HIT THE BRAKES ON THE REPLY BUTTON @Lupz27 ... You were all over Mahomes, I was a fan of his as well, I even said I would take him at 6..

I am just saying that there was a large group of people on forums, scout reports and media that said Mahomes wouldn't be a 1st round selection. I think he is going to go somewhere in the 2nd half of round 1 (maybe a trade back into first round). 

Mayfield is going in the first round. I have a very strong gut feeling about this. Will it be the right thing? I don't know, but I had no fait in Goff and he is playing better than I thought he would (give credit to McVay there). 

50 minutes ago, Stark said:

This is what people were saying about Mahomes too. 

HIT THE BRAKES ON THE REPLY BUTTON @Lupz27 ... You were all over Mahomes, I was a fan of his as well, I even said I would take him at 6..

I am just saying that there was a large group of people on forums, scout reports and media that said Mahomes wouldn't be a 1st round selection. I think he is going to go somewhere in the 2nd half of round 1 (maybe a trade back into first round). 

Mayfield is going in the first round. I have a very strong gut feeling about this. Will it be the right thing? I don't know, but I had no fait in Goff and he is playing better than I thought he would (give credit to McVay there). 

Mayfield is NOT anywhere near as talented as Mahomes it's not even it close so no I won't pump the breaks sorry.

15 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Mayfield is NOT anywhere near as talented as Mahomes it's not even it close so no I won't pump the breaks sorry.

Yeah I agree on this. I just have a feeling a team is taking Mayfield higher than you think. 

As I’ve said in another post, I think Trader Mac is lining up the assets and going all in on The Rosen One. He’s just dotting i’s ans crossing t’s now to be sure.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/mike-maccagnan-in-attendance-for-josh-rosens-ucla-game---again/262399980

“Jets' general manager Mike Maccagnan is in attendance at UCLA's game on Friday night against Cal, presumably to scout UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen, according to Kyle Bonagura of ESPN.Maccagnan attended UCLA's game last week.”

Archived