Grade the Trade: Richardson to Seattle

Sarge4Tide

Grade the Trade  

124 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give the JETS for this trade?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
  2. 2. What grade do you give the SEAHAWKS for this trade?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Jets D, Hawks B

Jets lose a legit talent because they mismanaged and disgruntled him and overdrafted his position.  Should never have got to this point, and we should have, I don't know, maybe a decent QB instead of Wilk, Sheldon AND Williams all drafted high at the same position.

Jets gain a nobody #3 WR and a 2nd Round Pick Macc will likely waste on another DLineman or maybe a 12th Safety.

Now we get to see if Sheldon, who isn;t my favorite Jet by any stretch, goes on to have a great post-Jets career (Like Abe).

In 2011 we were coming off of another AFC championship appearance with a young QB that we traded up for and, even if we did the unthinkable, the QB class was weak as sh*t.

2013 we drafted Milliner and Richardson and walked out with the "highest" rated QB of that class in the 2nd round.

2015 we tried to get Winston and Mariota using Mo Wilkerson because he was more tradeable with Sheldon suspended, and neither team took the bait.  They ended up going 1 & 2.

If you're gonna make the argument that "we should have drafted a QB instead of Wilk, Sheldon, or Leo" at least make some sense.  You mean we'd be better off with a good QB instead of a good D-Lineman?  No duh.  It's not that black and white.

Grading this trade a D for this is absolutely ridiculous. We got a 2nd round pick for a pot smoking idiot who is one infraction away from a year long suspension, total locker room cancer, motivated by nothing but money, who would have walked for next to nothing in a year.  Whining about who we're gonna pick with the 2nd as a way to discredit the fact that we got one is some sad, Joe Beningo-level, self loathing, & whining.  You're better than that

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Jets D, Hawks B

Jets lose a legit talent because they mismanaged and disgruntled him and overdrafted his position.  Should never have got to this point, and we should have, I don't know, maybe a decent QB instead of Wilk, Sheldon AND Williams all drafted high at the same position.

Jets gain a nobody #3 WR and a 2nd Round Pick Macc will likely waste on another DLineman or maybe a 12th Safety.

Now we get to see if Sheldon, who isn;t my favorite Jet by any stretch, goes on to have a great post-Jets career (Like Abe).

I'm not disagreeing with what you say but you really should factor in the fact that Sheldon was one toke away from a one-year suspension.  Any infraction, even minor, will likely result in a lengthy suspension.  And *that* is not the Jets fault.  Everything else may be, but this part of it irrefutable.  Good riddance.  Let's move on.

I've read a whole bunch of the reasons around here why people don't like the trade.... And I seriously don't understand the criticism.

This was a no-brainier of a trade. I feel like a lot of people just default to bashing things because that's been the norm for so long. Just assume the worst and that the Jets got screwed without actually putting some thought into the trade and where the team and organization stands in general.

And I get that... I'm not going to pretend you don't have reasons to feel that way!... But come on. Sheldon did not fit on this team this year. The Jets are rebuilding. They traded a piece for a pick. It's what you do!

And also I think partly lost in all this... They can go sign him next year if the want to!

The Jets I gave an A for the trade. I didn't think anyone would give that high a draft pick for one year rental + pay his salary .    The Jets had no intention to keep Sheldon Richardson long term.( they wanted him gone .     So he was never a option to built longterm around him.

Last point Sheldon Richardson useless on team rebuilding.

Seattle I gave a C for the trade, but I change that grade now to a B.   The Seattle overpaid for a one year rental.( no doubt about it)       Let's face it Seattle Core starting to get old( their time is now)  s Richardson going to make Seattle defense a lot more scary , and they should recoup a third round pick in 2019 when Sheldon Richardson leaves in Fa after this season.

This trade works for both teams, but I have to give the Jets the higher grade.

We got a bit better than what I thought we'd get.  I thought we'd get a late 3rd and an expensive players contract (for salary dumping purposes to minimize the 8 mil).  We got the salary dump in Kearse as I thought, and we got a late 2nd plus a swap of 7th rounders, which grades out to a low round 3 in total trade value.  So we got a low 3 vs a late 3, so that's ok.

Still Richardson is a supreme talent, and we definitely lost in net value in the long run as we weren't able to manage a valueable assets personality and character, so its a failure of leadership ultimately.

9 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

B for both teams. Could become A if Jets are able to draft a productive player. A for Seattle if Richardson becomes more than a rental 

With the cost they paid and the $5 mil cap saving from Kearse for 2018, I don't think they let Sheldon walk. 

7 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Incomplete until we see what Richardson does vs what Kearse does. 

Wait, what? This trade has nothing to do with Kearse. He's just a dummy in this trade. They come dime a dozen without draft value. 

1 hour ago, Hael said:

We got a bit better than what I thought we'd get.  I thought we'd get a late 3rd and an expensive players contract (for salary dumping purposes to minimize the 8 mil).  We got the salary dump in Kearse as I thought, and we got a late 2nd plus a swap of 7th rounders, which grades out to a low round 3 in total trade value.  So we got a low 3 vs a late 3, so that's ok.

Still Richardson is a supreme talent, and we definitely lost in net value in the long run as we weren't able to manage a valueable assets personality and character, so its a failure of leadership ultimately.

This is an excellent summation.

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

Are you drunk and trying to quote Cher again?

1. Yes.

2. I don't remember writing that post. At all.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

Since you are hedging your bet we would also have to see how the 2nd round pick performs for the Jets

And any fair evaluation of the pick shouldn't be done until after year three, so looks like we're four years away from evaluating a deal that every Jets fan on the planet is raving about with the exception of two dudes and Manish.

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

Jets D, Hawks B

Honestly at this point I say B- for Jets and D to a A fir Seahawks. Depending how long Sheldon can stay in the league. Huge greasy F for the Jets on how they got to this point. 100% agreed just like Abe, just like Farrior and just like Vilma . Difference is Abe never got  a ring with Falcons. Farrior got two  with Pittsburgh and Vilma one with New Orleans. If Sheldons Dumb ass can stay in the league to play out his contract with Seattle I think his chances are very good to get one. 

getting a second rounder for a guy who played out of position at LB last year and was not a factor seems good.  there is also the suspension thing.  there is also the last year of a contract thing.  Seahawks can afford to take chances.  Jets have to try to get something for a guy who iwll be leaving, unless they are dumping Mo after the season.   then keeping him might have been the smart thing, talent-wise.  I would never have signed Mo to that contract.

5 hours ago, DMan77 said:

I've read a whole bunch of the reasons around here why people don't like the trade.... And I seriously don't understand the criticism.

This was a no-brainier of a trade. I feel like a lot of people just default to bashing things because that's been the norm for so long. Just assume the worst and that the Jets got screwed without actually putting some thought into the trade and where the team and organization stands in general.

And I get that... I'm not going to pretend you don't have reasons to feel that way!... But come on. Sheldon did not fit on this team this year. The Jets are rebuilding. They traded a piece for a pick. It's what you do!

And also I think partly lost in all this... They can go sign him next year if the want to!

...and Manish hated the trade.  There's that, too.

A for the Jets. A conditional B for the Hawks. If Sheldon has a pro-bowl year is an A for them too.

Getting a second rounder for Sheldon is a no brainer even for Macc. Hell getting a warm body to boot for a guy who was most assuredly going to be let go no matter how he played after the season is just cake. Even if they release Kearse after a few weeks its still a good deal.

7 hours ago, DMan77 said:

Its not even that, they're bashing the Jets on the premise that they had to trade Sheldon because of all the mismanagement of resources, lack of discipline, bad contracts etc.... that preceded this trade.

Bottom line its what happens when you rotate HC's and Gm's every few years , the new regime comes in with their new schemes and drafts players for that scheme while the players from the old regime do not fit or are ostracized. Look at most successful teams their Coach/GM usually stick around together for longer periods of time , I understand this is a little bit of the chicken/egg argument , but teams willing to stick with a constant organizational philosophy even when things are bad usually rebound quicker than a team in the spin cycle ala the Jets /Browns etc....

The Jets pulled off a very good trade and finally appear to be doing things a lot more coherently than in the past  this is something to be excited about.

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Your team just got appreciably worse by holding a fire sale for a player that steamrolled the weak head coach and teabagged the halfwit GM. This trade is the equivalent of getting $50 at the recycling plant for the Ferrari you just totaled because you were playing Candy Crush while doing 95 MPH on the autobahn. "Hey, I got $50 for that worthless piece of steel that was worth $150k ten minutes ago!" Dopes. 

And your team got an opportunity to write a snarky post so Win Win!

If ever there was evidence that to a starving man, even sh*t tastes good, this thread and other Sheldon threads are it.

Enjoy your momentary happiness of getting this sh*t sandwich.  You'll be eating alot of them this year.  And no amount of posting will turn it into filet boys and girls.

14 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Both Bs.

The Wilk signing was C-.  Should've let him go and signed Sheldon.

But since Wilk was signed for 17mil per, smh, Sheldon had to go.  And this was a decent trade.

What would stop the Jets from doing exactly that next off-season?

EDIT:  Now saying they should do that, but it wouldn't cost them anymore money then if he played for the Jets this season.

11 minutes ago, flgreen said:

What would stop the Jets from doing exactly that next off-season?

EDIT:  Now saying they should do that, but it wouldn't cost them anymore money then if he played for the Jets this season.

You sir are a genius!

If Macc pulled that off he'd be executive of the year again.

Problem is once Sheldon gets a taste of a good team, he many not want to come back.

8 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

You sir are a genius!

Problem is once Sheldon gets a taste of a good team, he many not want to come back.

That kid's in it for the Money . I don't think he will quit playing hard once he gets paid, but you best believe he wants his money above anything . 

11 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

That kid's in it for the Money . I don't think he will quit playing hard once he gets paid, but you best believe he wants his money above anything . 

I'd be the same way.  I'd tell my kids to do the same as well.

Owners make billions while the players are lucky to make millions as they kill their bodies/brains.  I don't fault one single player for getting every dime they can.

In fact a prick like Brady, who takes less money "to help the team", hurts players and only makes owners richer.

20 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

You sir are a genius!

Sheldon was always open in that he made it clear that he would play for the team that puts the most money on the table.  Can't hate him for that

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

I'd be the same way.  I'd tell my kids to do the same as well.

Owners make billions while the players are lucky to make millions as they kill their bodies/brains.  I don't fault one single player for getting every dime they can.

In fact a pick like Brady, who takes less money "to help the team", hurts players and only makes owners richer.

That's the wrong mindset .  If you love the sport, play it the way Richardson can and respect the game, you will get paid . Richardson forgot 1 of those and still have the chance to get paid .

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

That's the wrong mindset .  If you love the sport, play it the way Richardson can and respect the game, you will get paid . Richardson forgot 1 of those and still have the chance to get paid .

You're entitled to your opinion.

Just took a look at overthecap.com.  We may be at 100mil in caps space if Skrine/Forte/Kearse are cut in 2018.  

Almost certainly gonna have at least 85mil+.  Add that to a top 3 draft pick with extra picks as well...  this time next season, things are gonna be insanely different.

Archived