Another QB Scenario

KRL

I know most of the "tank" fanbase is focusing on the QB's in the draft but there is
another scenario people should keep in mind.  The front office could be focusing on
going after Garrapolo in free agency.  With him they would be getting a 25 year old
who has been trained by Belichick, McDaniel & Brady for 4 years and doesn't have
to "transition" to the pros.  Once he's signed then the team could auction off their
high pick and use those picks (11 or 12??) to surround Garrapolo with talent.  Just
speculating    

THAT would be interesting....

Here is a wonky trade proposal I saw online.  People would CRUCIFY Mac for doing this:

https://nflmocks.com/2017/08/31/2018-nfl-mock-draft-jets-strike-gold-in-blockbuster-trade/?utm_campaign=FanSided+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

Everybody is ready to assume the New York Jets, the runaway favorites for the #1 pick, in this 2018 NFL mock draft and others, will take the top QB.

Sure it makes sense in the overall view. Quarterback is their weakest position and its dogged them for decades. At the same time it’s important to remember this isn’t a team having a down year. The Jets are bad and likely will be a long way from contention even if they take the top QB on the board. So why not auction the pick off to the highest bidder? It’s been done before. Based on this scenario that’s exactly what they do, and get a large return for it.

1. Jacksonville Jaguars (via NYJ)

Jaguars get #1 pick and take Sam Darnold

Jets get #4 pick, 2nd in 2018, 1st in 2019, 2nd in 2019, and 1st in 2020

4. New York Jets (via Jax)

Connor Williams OT Texas 

15 minutes ago, KRL said:

I know most of the "tank" fanbase is focusing on the QB's in the draft but there is
another scenario people should keep in mind.  The front office could be focusing on
going after Garrapolo in free agency.  With him they would be getting a 25 year old
who has been trained by Belichick, McDaniel & Brady for 4 years and doesn't have
to "transition" to the pros.  Once he's signed then the team could auction off their
high pick and use those picks (11 or 12??) to surround Garrapolo with talent.  Just
speculating    

The Patriots will NEVER let Jimmy G walk for nothing, they will do the same thing they did with Cassell, Franchise him, and sell him to the highest bidder, and I have my own speculation that McDaniels will take a HC job with Bill's blessing, and have a hand shake agreement on some compensation for a franchised Jimmy G in place.

7 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Here is a wonky trade proposal I saw online.  People would CRUCIFY Mac for doing this:

https://nflmocks.com/2017/08/31/2018-nfl-mock-draft-jets-strike-gold-in-blockbuster-trade/?utm_campaign=FanSided+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

Everybody is ready to assume the New York Jets, the runaway favorites for the #1 pick, in this 2018 NFL mock draft and others, will take the top QB.

Sure it makes sense in the overall view. Quarterback is their weakest position and its dogged them for decades. At the same time it’s important to remember this isn’t a team having a down year. The Jets are bad and likely will be a long way from contention even if they take the top QB on the board. So why not auction the pick off to the highest bidder? It’s been done before. Based on this scenario that’s exactly what they do, and get a large return for it.

Connor Williams OT Texas 

Epic fail.

21 minutes ago, KRL said:

speculating    

Let's see what kind of year Darnold has before anointing him #1 overall.   We already have 1 QB on the team who looked like a can't miss prospect as a freshman.   

If Darnold does have another epic year then I think you have take him #1.   Where it gets interesting is if the Jets end up in the 2-4 range.   That is where I think moving down makes the most sense.   I would be happy to see them move down from #2, take Rudolph in the 10-12 range, and sign Cousins for a big $ 3-year deal.   

I dont see the pats letting JG go at all if he can play worth a lick...  Brady is one big hit away from saying is it worth it anymore.. he has too much at stake to prove much more...  he might only have 3 years max.. or less... thats why I think the pats reloaded this year for a final last hurrah push with brady

20 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The Patriots will NEVER let Jimmy G walk for nothing, they will do the same thing they did with Cassell, Franchise him, and sell him to the highest bidder, and I have my own speculation that McDaniels will take a HC job with Bill's blessing, and have a hand shake agreement on some compensation for a franchised Jimmy G in place.

the franchise tag for a QB is more than they pay Brady. It would be an easy bluff to call. 

If this team somehow gets Jimmy G in free agency I'll buy a custom GABAGOOL that very day. 

10 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Let's see what kind of year Darnold has before anointing him #1 overall.   We already have 1 QB on the team who looked like a can't miss prospect as a freshman.   

If Darnold does have another epic year then I think you have take him #1.   Where it gets interesting is if the Jets end up in the 2-4 range.   That is where I think moving down makes the most sense.   I would be happy to see them move down from #2, take Rudolph in the 10-12 range, and sign Cousins for a big $ 3-year deal.   

There is a huge difference between what Hack did his freshman year compared to what Darnold did.  

What Hack did showed that he could develop into a top prospect.  He didn't. 

What Darnold did last year alone would have made him the top pick in the last draft.  

30 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Connor Williams OT Texas 

lol this would be so amazing

39 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Connor Williams OT Texas 

Why would this surprise anyone?

We got Hack after all.  He just needs time, a fair chance, and some weapons.

51 minutes ago, KRL said:

speculating    

I'm not a fan of this idea .

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Connor Williams OT Texas 

God I hope not. But it would be very Jetsy.

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

There is a huge difference between what Hack did his freshman year compared to what Darnold did.  

What Hack did showed that he could develop into a top prospect.  He didn't. 

What Darnold did last year alone would have made him the top pick in the last draft.  

I agree with this. As a PSU fan, Hack looked like the kind of kid that would eventually develop into a Big Ben. Darnold already looks like a polished product ready to produce in the NFL. Of course a million things can happen to a kid between today and the draft. But I'd bet my house on Darnold. 

As for Garraoplo, there is zero chance he walks in free agency. And if he does, that is a sign of what Bellicheat thinks of him. We are drafting our franchise QB in next years draft. Trading for the Seattle 2 is just adding more pieces for Macc to use to trade up in case this team surprises and wins 5 or 6 games. 

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Connor Williams OT Texas 

I would actually KILL Mike MacCagnan 

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Connor Williams OT Texas 

That would be the last straw for me.

Garrapolo isn't a terrible idea, but I'd still rather Darnold

4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Connor Williams OT Texas 

There's no way Jax would give up that much, but that's a no brainer for mac if the scenario came up. 2 extra first rounders over the next two years? Another top 5 pick as well? I'd do that in a heart beat. You'd be stupid not to take that.

4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Connor Williams OT Texas 

Great ; another five year plan .

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Epic fail.

3 hours ago, Ken Shroy said:

God I hope not. But it would be very Jetsy.

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

That would be the last straw for me.

Garrapolo isn't a terrible idea, but I'd still rather Darnold

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I would actually KILL Mike MacCagnan 

What's the matter with you guys?

Okay, that scenario is BEYOND unrealistic, but you mean to tell me you wouldn't take a haul like that just for one QB prospect? 

Hoe did Bledsoe work out in Buffalo?

Didnt the Chiefs try this with Cassel?

People were all infatuated with Ryan Mallett for a while too...

I dont understand this obsession with Garropolo...

Leave the Cheats' backup QBs alone.

Draft a blue-chip QB prospect in 2018.  Period.

What's the matter with you guys?
Okay, that scenario is BEYOND unrealistic, but you mean to tell me you wouldn't take a haul like that just for one QB prospect? 

Cleveland has had 47,000 pics in the last five drafts, and how's that worked out for them? Screw volume. Take the best quarterback and then head to church and pray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Paradis said:

Cleveland has had 47,000 pics in the last five drafts, and how's that worked out for them? Screw volume. Take the best quarterback and then head to church and pray

one top 5 prospect is good. A top five prospect and an extra first round pick for two years is outstanding. 

Just how good do people think Darnold is anyway? he cant be worth turning down that kind of value, can he?

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

FTR, I agree to take best QB and hope it is the right one.

Cleveland's plan is working.  Watch how much their defense has improved over the course of the season.

Oh yeah... and just make sure you don't go to Joel Osteen's church, you might not get in. 

Cleveland's plan is working.  Watch how much there defense has improved over the course of the season.
Oh yeah... and just make sure you don't go to Joel Osteen's church, you might not get in. 

This regime is been around for two drafts. There still the other 14 regimes in the last few years who've traded out of Julio Jones Sammy Watkins, and every other good player in the history of NFL.

1 minute ago, Tony MaC said:

one top 5 prospect is good. A top five prospect and an extra first round pick for two years is outstanding. 

Just how good do people think Darnold is anyway? he cant be worth turning down that kind of value, can he?

I guess one measure would be to treat Darnold as if he's the next Roethlisberger, since that's who he's being compared to.  

Nope. Best quarterback in the draft or go home

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

This regime is been around for two drafts. There still the other 14 regimes in the last few years who've traded out of Julio Jones Sammy Watkins, and every other good player in the history of NFL.

I mean the plan of THIS regime.  The previous were clearly failures.  They will be playing .500 ball next year, and could be a playoff team in 2019.  The Jets are a full year behind, at least.

Archived