Let Macc actually rebuild than critique

Jetster

When Bowles & Macc got here the cupboards were bare and they were left nothing of substance from Rex/Tanny or from Rex/Idzik. So, he took the Sar route using trades & spending free agency dollars to try & be competitive, it almost worked & we missed the playoffs losing in Buffalo.

No one can tell me that the Revis signing wasn't our idiot owner Woodys idea. It had Woody redemption all over it! So, the only decent players still here from the old regime were also long in the teeth & at the end of their careers, Mangold, Harris, etc. 

So what do you do at that point? You rebuild. People forget that all of Maccs moves to try to stay competitive were contracts constructed in way that we could get out of them without long term salary cap damage.

That is where we are now. Macc took a flyer at a QB in the 2nd round, so far, jury is still out as the kid just turned 22 & the team around him is incredibly young & raw. But here's the thing people have to look at compared to where he started when he got here. Now, based on his own drafting, he's has the start of what could be a decent roster of young players. Leonard Williams, Jenkins, Lee, Adams, Maye, Anderson, Marshall, Stewart, Hansen, McGuire, Jones, Burris. 

Now this team 2017 is truly the start of the NY Jets that Macc & Bowles built. Obviously we're still looking for a QB, but at least we have young players that will actually make the team & contribute. Will they all succeed, of course not, that's the nature of this game & the inexact science of the draft itself, but we are in a way better place than when they got here even if it doesn't FEEL like it this season.

Talk to me after 2018 draft & free agency with 100 million to spend. After the 2018 season is the time to critique Macc all you want, because this will truly be the team that Macc built. He's really just begun.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Jetster said:

When Bowles & Macc got here the cupboards were bare and they were left nothing of substance from Rex/Tanny or from Rex/Idzik. So, he took the Sar route using trades & spending free agency dollars to try & be competitive, it almost worked & we missed the playoffs losing in Buffalo.

No one can tell me that the Revis signing wasn't our idiot owner Woodys idea. It had Woody redemption all over it! So, the only decent players still here from the old regime were also long in the teeth & at the end of their careers, Mangold, Harris, etc. 

So what do you do at that point? You rebuild. People forget that all of Maccs moves to try to stay competitive were contracts constructed in way that we could get out of them without long term salary cap damage.

That is where we are now. Macc took a flyer at a QB in the 2nd round, so far, jury is still out as the kid just turned 22 & the team around him is incredibly young & raw. But here's the thing people have to look at compared to where he started when he got here. Now, based on his own drafting, he's has the start of what could be a decent roster of young players. Leonard Williams, Jenkins, Lee, Adams, Maye, Anderson, Marshall, Stewart, Hansen, McGuire, Jones, Burris. 

Now this team 2017 is truly the start of the NY Jets that Macc & Bowles built. Obviously we're still looking for a QB, but at least we have young players that will actually make the team & contribute. Will they all succeed, of course not, that's the nature of this game & the inexact science of the draft itself, but we are in a way better place than when they got here even if it doesn't FEEL like it this season.

Talk to me after 2018 draft & free agency with 100 million to spend. After the 2018 season is the time to critique Macc all you want, because this will truly be the team that Macc built. He's really just begun.

the problem with Macc is there is no cohesive plan, just a bunch of random transactions.   

30 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Agreed, its Rexs fault Maccagnan has had three offseasons and ended up with the worst roster in football

Don't forget that the jury is still out on Hack too. Sure, he may be as miserable of a QB prospect as this franchise has drafted in the last 20+ yrs, but come on, he's only 22 years old. And we all know that players always transform into something they're not merely as a product of getting older. 

12 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

the problem with Macc is there is no cohesive plan, just a bunch of random transactions.   

Stop it. Loading up the team with safeties and DT's, while completely ignoring offense-related football, is as cohesive and clever as it gets...and clearly paying huge dividends. 

I mean, heck, even the LB we drafted is actually a disguised safety. And you state there's no strategic plan here. Shame. Geesh

6 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

Don't forget that the jury is still out on Hack too. Sure, he may be as miserable of a draft prospect as this franchise has drafted in the last 20 yrs, but come on, he's only 22 years old. And we all know that players always transform into something their not merely as a product of getting older. 

Basically a rookie!

24 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Well said! I'm excited by the prospect of some of these young guys emerging this season, I think we're going to get some pleasant surprises.  I'm equally excited by what we'll look like as a team next season with all the money we have to spend and likely early draft position. 

I don't agree that the Revis move was bad.  He had a productive his first season back with us, but obviously not the second.  The only thing I would have done differently was signed him a year earlier for less money. Instead the Patriots got him that year and won the SB with him fro $12M vs. $17M that we paid.

28 minutes ago, HessStation said:

So what's the actual timeline to this? 2018? 19? 20? 21? 22? 34?

Rome wasn't built in a day & you can't rebuild a team in the NFL instantly. Ask the Cowboys, or Raiders etc. sure they are experiencing some success now after 17 years of abject failure. Give me a break.

29 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Agreed, its Rexs fault Maccagnan has had three offseasons and ended up with the worst roster in football

Also one of the youngest.  Many on this board were calling for a full rebuild.  This is what it looks like.  To start anew from the ground up you are going to have to take your lumps.  Let's see what we have by end of season and at this time mid-way through next season.  If we show playoff potential by then, Macc will be a hero. The thing I'm concerned about is whether we have the right coach and organizational structure. 

3 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Also one of the youngest.  Many on this board were calling for a full rebuild.  This is what it looks like.  To start anew from the ground up you are going to have to take your lumps.  Let's see what we have by end of season and at this time mid-way through next season.  If we show playoff potential by then, Macc will be a hero. The thing I'm concerned about is whether we have the right coach and organizational structure. 

It's cool that he can blow two drafts on ungodly terrible players and then just say "uhh we're rebuilding now" so none of it counts

13 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

What did he start with that was LEFT TO HIM by the previous regime? There wasn't 1 decent GROUP of players anywhere! 

LBs? Safeties? CBS? Oline? Dline was it. WRs? Decker is injured goods now, Enunwa out for the season. RBs? Powell. Give me a break, there was not one decent position other than Dline on the entire team with any decent youth movement.

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It's cool that he can blow two drafts on ungodly terrible players and then just say "uhh we're rebuilding now" so none of it counts

This is what these fans completely ignore. No one has a problem with rebuild. It's the fact that this roster has almost nothing in young, promising players despite multiple high draft choices. Absolutely nothing on the offensive side of the ball to be bullish on. The rebuild is years away from bearing any fruit.

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

You are truly one of the worst most miserable Jet fans I've ever encountered.

1 minute ago, Pointdexter said:

This is what these fans completely ignore. No one has a problem with rebuild. It's the fact that this roster has almost nothing in young, promising players despite multiple high draft choices. Absolutely nothing on the offensive side of the ball to be bullish on. The rebuild is years away from bearing any fruit.

Yea, because all draft picks are All Pros in their 1st two years, give me a f*cking break! Had Rex not won a meaningless game in Miami at least Macc would have had OBJ to start with @ WR. 

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

You can say that regarding the 2015 draft, with only Williams, Mauldin and Petty still on the roster.  It appears however that all the 2016 picks will make the team and most will be starting.  Our free agents picks weren't bad either in 2016. 

The big mistake Macc made was letting Damon Harrison get away.  You can partially blame Sheldon Richardson for that as well.

Hoping for the best out of the 2017 draft class. 

56 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Revis was still elite when we signed him. No one could have seen him coming in fat and his performance falling off a cliff.

2 yrs in professional football is an eternity. So all the signs of this front office being inept should be ignored for two more years? 

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Yea, because all draft picks are All Pros in their 1st two years, give me a f*cking break! Had Rex not won a meaningless game in Miami at least Macc would have had OBJ to start with @ WR. 

Good call, you cant blame Maccc for the fact that the team sucks, its actually Rexs fault for winning a game three and a half years ago

5 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

You can say that regarding the 2015 draft, with only Williams, Mauldin and Petty still on the roster.  It appears however that all the 2016 picks will make the team and most will be starting.  Our free agents picks weren't bad either in 2016. 

The big mistake Macc made was letting Damon Harrison get away.  You can partially blame Sheldon Richardson for that as well.

He tried to resign Harrison but the Giants through a ton of money at him. He resigned Wilkerson instead, which at the time seemed like the right move. I'm hoping Wilkerson returns to form this season. i believe the broken leg surgery at the end of the 2015 season affected his play.

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Who's talking about all pros? Name one player on the offensive side of the ball that another team would trade better than a 4th rounder for. Here's the quick answer...there isn't one. In a league that's built around offense, that's pathetic. Quincy Enunwa was, by far, our bell-cow player on offense, when in reality he's a good WR3 and a serviceable WR2 by NFL measures. In Jets land he's WR1. I'm sorry but that sucks when you're 3 years into building a roster.

12 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Great point & Macc didn't have HIS GUYS in place until the 2016 draft.

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

He tried to resign Harrison but the Giants through a ton of money at him. He resigned Wilkerson instead, which at the time seemed like the right move. I'm hoping Wiljerson returns to form this season. i believe the broken leg surgery at the end of the 2015 season affected his play.

Harrison should have been the priority in my mind, but that changed when Richardson displayed his stupidity.  I still would have found a way to hold onto Harrison.  We had a wealth of DEs, but no one who could do what Harrison did. 

Just now, long suffering jets fan said:

Harrison should have been the priority in my mind, but that changed when Richardson displayed his stupidity.  I still would have found a way to hold onto Harrison.  We had a wealth of DEs, but no one who could do what Harrison did. 

Harrison is a special player.

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

So around 2037. Good to know.

So don't watch. There is not a law that you have to watch the team u love to hate. Like any sports fan though they all come climbing back on board with a hint of success. The amount of awesome GMs on this forum is astounding. 

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

Harrison is a special player.

Never seen a dominating DT/NT like him. 

Interesting that he signed with the Jets in 2012 as an UDFA (28 yo), but it took him till 2015 to emerge as a force, since that time he's beep playing at a pro bowl level and could be a future HOF if he keeps up at this level for another 5 years. 

Just now, Tinstar said:

A true NFL NT is a premium position . If you can't stop the run, why should I throw the ball .

Have to agree, Harrison was a mistake but Mo did have a bunch of sacks the year before he was resigned. Scary part of being a GM, will the guy I give a mega contract to lose his passion? Jets aren't the only team to make that mistake. I would definitely not given Sheldumb Richardson a pocket full of millions.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Have to agree, Harrison was a mistake but Mo did have a bunch of sacks the year before he was resigned. Scary part of being a GM, will the guy I give a mega contract to lose his passion? Jets aren't the only team to make that mistake. I would definitely not given Sheldumb Richardson a pocket full of millions.

Sheldon Richardson's actions off and to some extent on the football field is the reason he's traded and Mo Wilk got the deal .  To some extent, his actions could be looked at as a reason Harrison is no longer a Jet even thou I think Harrison would still have joined the Giants .

Archived