Let Macc actually rebuild than critique

Jetster

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Jetster said:

Yea, because all draft picks are All Pros in their 1st two years, give me a f*cking break! Had Rex not won a meaningless game in Miami at least Macc would have had OBJ to start with @ WR. 

If OBJ had the misfortune of being drafted by the Jets, he wouldn't be "OBJ" he'd be "Odell, the solid but unspectacular first round reach."

15 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

#competition

#bestplayersplay

I don't see any problem with playing Petty before Hack.  He will get hurt in two games or three like he always does and the team will have carte blanche to bring Hack in permanently---or at least to the end of this season.  Petty''s major problem is he cannot remain standing

24 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I don't see any problem with playing Petty before Hack.  He will get hurt in two games or three like he always does and the team will have carte blanche to bring Hack in permanently---or at least to the end of this season.  Petty''s major problem is he cannot remain standing

Petty has bad awareness of everything around him. Needs to learn how to duck like Brady. Comes with experience. I hate the fact he's always trying to learn behind high school offensive lines.

17 hours ago, nycdan said:

Totally agree.

Player  Att   Comp   Yds   Comp %   Yds/Att   TD   TD%   INT   INT%   Long   Sack     Sack/Lost   Rating
Bryce Petty  48   32    426   66.7   8.9   3   6.3   1   2.1   85   2         10  106.8
Christian Hackenberg  74   42   372   56.8   5   2   2.7   2   2.7   26   9         59  68.1

Pretty much sums it up right there.

4 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Pretty much sums it up right there.

Actually, probably not entirely but I can't find a stat on dropped passes.  I suspect there were at least a half dozen legitimately good passes that were dropped for Petty (and probably a few for Hack as well).  

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

My very point is that merely starting so far isn't indicative of any particular accomplishment on the player's part, or on the part of the GM who drafted him.

Your point is correct, but most here are bashing before they give these guys a chance.  They were good enough to stick and good enough to start, let's see if they can take the next step and be productive starters, then we can more fairly judge Macc.

23 hours ago, dbatesman said:

It's cool that he can blow two drafts on ungodly terrible players and then just say "uhh we're rebuilding now" so none of it counts

These debates are getting tiresome. 

Has Mac been perfect?  Far from it.  But he is light years ahead of Idzik and his abilities to draft. 

17 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

These debates are getting tiresome. 

Has Mac been perfect?  Far from it.  But he is light years ahead of Idzik and his abilities to draft. 

I'd be more pissed off if we drafted a good QB & still sucked! Colts? We'd kill for Andrew Luck. Lions? They couldn't get it done with Stafford & now they'll lose all their good players giving him 27 million. How long did it take Atlanta to get to a Super Bowl with Matt Ryan ? The Chargers with Phillip Rivers have missed their chance, 

We haven't had anyone as good as the QBs above but have had better seasons up until last year for Atlanta. Now if Macc started out here with a competent QB that's a different story. Thank god he took Williams so we didn't have to sign Sheldumb to a mega contract. 

He's been working on the LBs, Safeties, WRs, took McGuire at RB, Shell at Oline, Burris at CB, Jones at CB this year, Hack?, I'm sure 2018 will be QB, Oline, etc. there is so much to make up for from Tanny/Rex/Idzik mistakes. 

This 2017 draft might be his best from early indications. We could have all 4 top picks playing large roles by the end of the season. I'm going out on a limb to say Stewart will be a fan favorite, a tough SOB straight arming bastard & Adams/Maye combo becomes one of the best safety tandems in the NFL. Would love to see us sign Rudolph, the Giants cut & go forward with these young guys so they all get experience. My cut would be Peake who just doesn't seem to progress, in the NFL, when you get in that 2nd year you have to flash. Stewart, Hansen, Anderson, and Rudolph flashed (his hand catches & body control vs Jets made him standout to me). 

We'll see what these next few days bring us. 

Before we call the 2017 draft a success, consider that the Jets are basically an expansion team.  They all made the roster because they ARE the roster.  Stewart couldn't miss the roster after we dumped our two starters at WR.  Leggett had to make the team because we had no other TEs other than the one who is serving a 2-game suspension to start the season.  The late-round DBs?  Who did they have to beat out?

They may all turn out to be solid players, but it would have been almost impossible for the entire draft class to not make the roster this year.  

Watching the Jets this season will be like watching the Mets this season

Not even close .. the Mets opened the season with a huge tease of hope .... the Jets season this year is already destined to suck. So I say embrace the rebuild ... EMBRACE THE SUCK

i will enjoy watching the raw metal of this team get honed into an awesome valerian steel sword.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Before we call the 2017 draft a success, consider that the Jets are basically an expansion team.  They all made the roster because they ARE the roster.  Stewart couldn't miss the roster after we dumped our two starters at WR.  Leggett had to make the team because we had no other TEs other than the one who is serving a 2-game suspension to start the season.  The late-round DBs?  Who did they have to beat out?

They may all turn out to be solid players, but it would have been almost impossible for the entire draft class to not make the roster this year.  

Wow.  The Jets are basically an expansion team and Hack is basically a rookie.  How far can we take this?

13 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Wow.  The Jets are basically an expansion team and Hack is basically a rookie.  How far can we take this?

You sound indignant but the Panthers were 7-9 in their first season and the Jaguars were 4-12.  I don't think our roster is better than either of those and I am pretty sure we won't do as well as the Panthers and may very well not even do as well as the Jaguars.  So yeah, calling this an expansion-like roster isn't a stretch.  After Leo, Mo and *maybe* the two Safeties, we are pretty much JAGs top to bottom.  Lots of young kids with potential to be more but there's a reason we will have monstrous cap room next season. 

As for Hack, that wasn't my quote.  He certainly isn't outplaying the top rookies so far though so it's not entirely out there.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

You sound indignant but the Panthers were 7-9 in their first season and the Jaguars were 4-12.  I don't think our roster is better than either of those and I am pretty sure we won't do as well as the Panthers and may very well not even do as well as the Jaguars.  So yeah, calling this an expansion-like roster isn't a stretch.  After Leo, Mo and *maybe* the two Safeties, we are pretty much JAGs top to bottom.  Lots of young kids with potential to be more but there's a reason we will have monstrous cap room next season. 

As for Hack, that wasn't my quote.  He certainly isn't outplaying the top rookies so far though so it's not entirely out there.

So, anyone who sucks is "expansion-like," or just us?

22 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Bilal Powell for starters.

People called Powell, a bust? Plenty of people called him a JAG, which isn't a bust for a 4th rounder. Seems the Jets felt the same, bringing in an aging Forte, a back with almost identical skill-set, here for a fair amount of money. And don't get me wrong I like Powell but the only reason he is considered a "star" by some is because he's in a very dim constellation. 

8 hours ago, gEYno said:

Todd Bowles is basically mute. Woody Johnson is basically Billy Madison. Macc is basically Idzik. Jets fans are basically screwed.

13 hours ago, nycdan said:

Actually, probably not entirely but I can't find a stat on dropped passes.  I suspect there were at least a half dozen legitimately good passes that were dropped for Petty (and probably a few for Hack as well).  

True enough. Petty's #'s should have been better. Maybe Hacks as well but Hack is just too raw at this point to expect him to lead an offense. Its almost unfair to the guy at this point in his development. Let him hold the clipboard and mop up at times and give Petty a legit shot when McCown inevitably goes down. Hell they almost lost him in the beginning of that last preseason game. Its gonna be a long season boys hopefully they can develop as a team and move forward. With this roster its gonna be tough though.

30 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

True enough. Petty's #'s should have been better. Maybe Hacks as well but Hack is just too raw at this point to expect him to lead an offense. Its almost unfair to the guy at this point in his development. Let him hold the clipboard and mop up at times and give Petty a legit shot when McCown inevitably goes down. Hell they almost lost him in the beginning of that last preseason game. Its gonna be a long season boys hopefully they can develop as a team and move forward. With this roster its gonna be tough though.

I totally agree with this. Petty has earned the next man up. McCown isn't going to be in long. If they lose the first two games, pull him. But I think McCown will beat Buffalo. Settle down the OLine. Try to get the running game going a bit and it will be Petty time sooner rather than later.

It would be great if Petty became Kirk Cousins and we never looked back. More realistically I think Hack gets a shot after Petty, later in the year. But Hack definitely isn't ready right now.

46 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Let the orderly perform brain surgery then critique..

Patient: Mmwmmmumnhhh! Muh!!! Tomato!!

Patient's Wife: What is he saying?

Orderly: He's saying the surgery was a huge success.

36 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

isn't brain surgery a little above an orderly's pay grade?

You catch on quick ;)

16 hours ago, nycdan said:

Valid point. 

3. Jets say to Simon, "Adios": Like all GMs, Maccagnan doesn't like cutting his own draft picks. On Saturday, he did so for only the second time, waiving nose tackle Deon Simon, a seventh-round choice in 2015. Let's not make a big deal about a seventh-rounder, but it's worth noting that Simon was viewed at the end of last season as an ascending player.

Maccagnan has made 22 draft picks in three years, and only two aren't on the roster: guard Jarvis Harrison (fifth round, 2015) and Simon, who is practice-squad-eligible. Only one productive player has emerged from that '15 class: Leonard Williams.

4. No Cinderella stories: Unless you count long-snapper Thomas Hennessy, who was acquired from the Indianapolis Colts, no undrafted rookies made the Jets' initial 53. That's kind of odd, considering how many roster spots were up for grabs.

5. Long-evity-snappers: If history is any indication, Hennessy will stick around for a while. Since 2001, the Jets have employed only two long-snappers -- James Dearth (2001-09) and Tanner Purdum (2010-16), who was released Saturday.

If they chose quarterbacks as well as they do long-snappers ... oh, never mind.

6. Shades of '95: The wide receiver situation this summer reminds me of 1995, when the Jets began camp with a guy named Anderson (Stevie) and a bunch of other unknowns. Desperate for a veteran presence, the Rich Kotite-led Jets traded for veteran Charles Wilson, a 27-year-old who had 652 receiving yards the previous season with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The trade was made Aug. 28, 1995.

Almost 22 years to the day, the Jets traded for Kearse, a 27-year-old receiver who had 510 receiving yards with the Seahawks the season prior. He'll join the current Anderson (Robby) as part of a new-look receiving corps.

One big difference between then and now: In '95, the Jets discovered Wayne Chrebet, an undrafted rookie from Hofstra. Where is this season's version of Chrebet? Honestly, I don't know if we'll ever see the likes of him again.

Chrebet reported to camp as the 10th receiver on a 10-man depth chart, and he was a starter by opening day.

On 9/2/2017 at 8:50 AM, JetsFanatic said:

He tried to resign Harrison but the Giants through a ton of money at him. He resigned Wilkerson instead, which at the time seemed like the right move. I'm hoping Wilkerson returns to form this season. i believe the broken leg surgery at the end of the 2015 season affected his play.

Signing Wilkerson over Snacks was NEVER the right move. It was incredibly obvious at the time.

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Signing Wilkerson over Snacks was NEVER the right move. It was incredibly obvious at the time.

I love Snacks, but Wilkerson was a higher priorty.  Wilkerson is an evey down lineman who can get sacks.  He had a sh*t season last year and hopefuly he bounces back this year. Snacks is great but he is a run stopper and came out in most passing situations. Again not disparraging Snacks in any way, but almost all GMs would have made Wilkerson the priority.

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

I love Snacks, but Wilkerson was a higher priorty.  Wilkerson is an evey down lineman who can get sacks.  He had a sh*t season last year and hopefuly he bounces back this year. Snacks is great but he is a run stopper and came out in most passing situations. Again not disparraging Snacks in any way, but almost all GMs would have made Wilkerson the priority.

41 sacks in 6 years is less than 7 a year. That's not worth what he's being paid. Wilk isn't much more than an overpriced run stuffer who gets a sack every other game or so. He's a solid player but overrated by this fan base because of the overall lack of talent. 

Archived