Jets cut Deon Simon

dbatesman

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Pennell is 26 and Simon is 27 . Pennell hold the POA better so he gets the gig . My guess is the Jets couldn't find anyone to take Mclendon off their hands and didn't want to just give him away. Probably hoping that Simon pass through wavers .

Yup and put him on the PS. 

15 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Looks like Mike Pennel made the team.  That was a nice pick up by Mac. Pennel has had off the field issues but he is only 26 and talented.

Macc did something right? Damn alert the SOJfans

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Macc did something right? Damn alert the SOJfans

If given the opportunity, I actually think Mac will put together a good team he is a very knowledgable and hard working GM.  I also give him credit for having the balls to tear down a team and attempt to build it the right way.  Unfortunately it takes a little patience and time.  As you can see from some of these posts, that's two things some fans don't have.

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

If given the opportunity, I actually think Mac will put together a good team he is a very knowledgable and hard working GM.  I also give him credit for having the balls to tear down a team and attempt to build it the right way.  Unfortunately it takes a little patience and time.  As you can see from some of these posts, that's two things some fans don't have.

I agree.  I absolutely do think he screwed up by "going for it" in his 2nd year.  But I think he has snapped back to reality now and is doing a sincere rebuild.  As of right now, I still have faith that he can build a good team as long as he continues this real rebuild.  A lot of it is going to depend on whether or not we can get a franchise QB, of course.  If we end up w/ Darnold (or some franchise QB) this season could change the Jets (in positive way) for the next decade.

Just now, MTJ06 said:

Yes because all 7 th round draft picks are supposed to go into the Hall of Fame...

Yup, especially when he is being replaced by a guy like Pennell who is actually younger than Simon. Complaining about this move would be like complaining about Robbie Anderson beating out Peake for a roster spot. Both are young, both were found/drafted by Macc. 

If the Jets had to sign a high priced free agent to replace Simon, then it's a problem, but as long as both players are young/cheap who really cares?

2 minutes ago, MTJ06 said:

Yes because all 7 th round draft picks are supposed to go into the Hall of Fame...

The Jets got some use out of a 7th round pick, and along the way, they managed to find a younger more effective player as a free agent . I would say that's good GM work,  but what the heck do I know .

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The Jets got some use out of a 7th round pick, and along the way, they managed to find a younger more effective player as a free agent . I would say that's good GM work,  but what the heck do I know .

Its like Mauldlin. Hes bad, but Maccc found Josh Martin and Corey Lemonier, so on balance it shows how smart Maccc is

You know what's funny-sad? Watching the Jets beat writers finding out from the national writers who the Jets are cutting. What do the beat kids do all day that they don't have a single source inside the building who can tip them off about a bottom of the roster player getting waived? 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You know what's funny-sad? Watching the Jets beat writers finding out from the national writers who the Jets are cutting. What do the beat kids do all day that they don't have a single source inside the building who can tip them off about a bottom of the roster player getting waived? 

Too busy moping about how hard their jobs are

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

That 2015 draft is shaping up to be an all-timer.

Whoa, I thought Simon was one of those players who was one of those sleepers that showed what a great drafting asset Big Macc is. This is now the second time the Jets have cut Simon, who was 3rd string this summer, well behind the "old" NT it was supposedly a no-brainer to cut to save $3m on a young, leaderless roster.

This is precisely why we said Maccagnan doesn't get credit for drafting anybody until those prospects actually turn into good starters (or at a minimum, important rotational players like a situational pass rusher who may suck vs the run, but he gets 10 sacks a year, plus plenty of other pressures, when we just pin his ears back and send him).

He gets no credit for drafting any of these other guys until they become starters. They are sucky picks until they show they've adequately filled their respective starting positions: Mauldin, Simon, Burris, Shell, Lee, (never mind Hackenberg) from his first 2 drafts alone, on top of 2017's class. They have all been referred to as successful picks as though it was a mere technicality that all hadn't yet been named full time starters for the 2017 season.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Whoa, I thought Simon was one of those players who was one of those sleepers that showed what a great drafting asset Big Macc is. This is now the second time the Jets have cut Simon, who was 3rd string this summer, well behind the "old" NT it was supposedly a no-brainer to cut to save $3m on a young, leaderless roster.

This is precisely why we said Maccagnan doesn't get credit for drafting anybody until those prospects actually turn into good starters (or at a minimum, important rotational players like a situational pass rusher who may suck vs the run, but he gets 10 sacks a year, plus plenty of other pressures, when we just pin his ears back and send him).

He gets no credit for drafting any of these other guys until they become starters. They are sucky picks until they show they've adequately filled their respective starting positions: Mauldin, Simon, Burris, Shell, Lee, (never mind Hackenberg) from his first 2 drafts alone, on top of 2017's class. They have all been referred to as successful picks as though it was a mere technicality that all hadn't yet been named full time starters for the 2017 season.

Maccc's a football guy, he knows how to find talent

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

does mac owe you money? or something?

i agree that you can't judge how well a gm is doing getting players until they start really playing and playing well. this is the 3rd season of his first draft so we should see something more out of many of these guys than just wearing a uniform.  as for simon, i was of the opinion he was going to be a good replacement for mcclendon.  i guess not.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

does mac owe you money? or something?

i agree that you can't judge how well a gm is doing getting players until they start really playing and playing well. this is the 3rd season of his first draft so we should see something more out of many of these guys than just wearing a uniform.  as for simon, i was of the opinion he was going to be a good replacement for mcclendon.  i guess not.

He just sucks is all. I want the Jets to win a SB and it is clear they will never get there with him as the GM. He only got the job in the first place because Woody hired his mentor & former boss to help with the GM search, and because he's among the group of candidates that would agree to Woody's terms where HC and GM are on equal playing fields.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He just sucks is all. I want the Jets to win a SB and it is clear they will never get there with him as the GM. He only got the job in the first place because Woody hired his mentor & former boss to help with the GM search, and because he's among the group of candidates that would agree to Woody's terms where HC and GM are on equal playing fields.

did you apply for the job?

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

When Sheldon gets traded, I know that will come from the big guys. But Schefter beating them to Deon Simon? That is insanity. I am surprised Schefter even took that call.

Really surprised (like you said) the local guys have no sources at all. If I was doing that job and Schefter beat me to Deon Simon I would punch myself in the face, twice.

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I'm sure Simon will make the PS, but I'm kinda pissed that we're keeping McLendon on the active roster over him.  What's the point?

The point is you can't have a team with so few veterans to help guide younger players. This is the part of team-building that doesn't show up on stats sheets. He's a good veteran presence who can still play, and this locker room badly needs some of that to help make these other kids into better players when it isn't a throwaway season in the future.

McLendon isn't very expensive and if we do lose Simon it isn't anything to get "pissed" over. It's the second time we've cut him already, and he wasn't 3rd string without reason; they want draft picks to pan out so they all look good. Simon's not such a great, cheap option for the team to consider long term anyway: this year is a throwaway and next year is the last on his rookie season. After that he'll need a veteran contract in excess of McLendon's current deal (if he's worth keeping). May as well keep McLendon this year for the above reasons and try again with a different young kid.

I don't even like this FO at all, but - while they're balls deep in salary purge & reset mode - they're not all totally ignorant to the obvious salary and age differences between Simon & McLendon. They're well aware, and made this move anyway.

On 9/2/2017 at 1:15 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Peake.  You forgot Charone Peake. 

Archived