Nice Petty article

Patriot Killa

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thejetpress.com/2017/09/02/new-york-jets-pleasant-surprise-bryce-petty/amp/

The New York Jets avoided a major letdown and were fortunate that Bryce Petty’s injury suffered last week during a meaningless preseason game against the New York Giants wasn’t more serious than a knee sprain. This is because Petty will likely be a valuable contributor in 2017 given Christian Hackenberg’s poor preseason performance and current starting quarterback Josh McCown’s age

You won’t find many who’ll admit it openly at One Jets Drive, but this summer’s most pleasant surprise has to be the performance of Petty. While other players have stood out and there have been some nice surprises—Austin Seferian-JenkinsDemario Davis, and ArDarius Stewart just to name a few—in my estimation, Petty has been the real star of the Jets’ preseason.

Yes, you’ll hear the same old suggestions that Petty’s success may be due to playing against second and third string defenses, that he is injury prone, or that he’s already reached his ceiling because in college he was a “system” quarterback, blah, blah, blah…. The simple fact remains that there is little trace of the deer-in-the-headlights look so common to young quarterbacks and used to be a permanent fixture with Petty.

He has proven to be a more confident leader with a commanding presence in the pocket. During the Giants game, Petty often improvised behind the line of scrimmage, quickly scanning through multiple reads. His second touchdown pass to ArDarius Stewart was a perfect example of this newfound skill. I do not believe Hackenberg has this ability at the moment.

Admittedly the evaluation of Petty must be tempered by the realization that there is a sense of desperation about the Jets quarterback position; meaning that there is a tendency to label the latest prospect as the next great one. We must also keep in mind that the more games Petty plays, there’s now additional film for defensive coordinators to dissect.

In other words, every Petty tendency will be known by game day; they’ll even know his favorite meal if it might provide some insights into how his mind works. So I recognize that perspective is needed here. All that said, however, it is important to keep in mind that Petty is no slouch and is a proven talent.

He had an incredible college career, throwing for over 8,000 yards, which included 62 touchdowns, with only 10 interceptions. His passing efficiency rating was 166. For comparison purposes, Deshaun Watson’s career passing efficiency rating was 158, Jameis Winston(158), Marcus Mariota (172), and the recently named Cleveland Browns starter and rookie quarterback DeShone Kizer (148). So Petty is up there with many of the top quarterbacks selected in the early rounds of recent NFL drafts.

If 2017 proves to be an off year for the Jets then they should at least let Petty loose. The Jets defense is decent, and they have some dynamic playmakers on offense. Robby Anderson and Matt Forteimmediately come to mind. Watch the replay of the 80-yard scamper from Bilal Powell perfectly set up by Petty. Last year, Petty probably doesn’t recognize the open receiver or would rush the throw. More importantly, I don’t think Hackenberg can execute that kind of timing play right now. So these are all encouraging signs that the Jets quarterback situation may not be as bad as some have suggested.

To be clear, I’m not suggesting Petty’s preseason performance means the Jets have found the “one.” But in the process of searching for the quarterback of the future, the Jets would be wise to consider Petty more strongly this year. In my view, Petty has clearly removed any doubts that he could be successful in the NFL. It’s time the Jets recognized it also and give him the opportunity to lead this team once and for all.

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I admit it, I'm intrigued by Petty.  I believe he will be the 2nd QB when the season starts. In all likelihood, he will get a shot as a starter sometime durung the season.

All statistics aside gaining a few starts last year probably really helped in the long run. He knew what to expect coming into new season with increased reps. If he can stay healthy ..I think he'll do some good things and some bad but more importantly i expect to see some encouraging things if he gets an actual shot.

Petty can be a mess at times, but he genuinely seems to enjoy playing football for the Jets, seems to be pretty tough, and it's clear that his teammates genuinely like him. He competes, doesn't sulk, and throws the ball down the field. Reminds me so much of Jon Kitna which, obviously, isn't great, but you'll tolerate the mistakes if the dude is out there brawling for you. McCown is similar in that his teammates like him and he scraps, but he's also 38 and is no one's idea of a building block. As for Hackenberg, it's one thing to be terrible at football, but when you combine that with having the personality of the young poof princeling from Braveheart, you may as well fold up the tent.

I'm not sure where the Bryce Petty's low ceiling angle comes from. No he doesn't have Hack's Jeff George like arm but it is way above average. 

So what is his ceiling based on? Size? athleticism? He seems to have come a long way with little attention from coaches or practice time.

Mostly I see his awareness has spiked. His accuracy is far better, and his touch is the best I've seen in Jetland since Chad. I especially was impressed with his awareness of throwing lanes and even changing his arm angle to avoid batted balls without losing accuracy.

I think he was handcuffed last year by the coaching staff, and he needs to be allowed to improvise, and take shots downfield to open up the underneath to be successful. He will never be comfortable as a game manager and maybe that is why he seemed to have a low ceiling. 

I hope he gets to see some game action before we play the browns, and the Jags. It would be nice to see him prepare as the starter for these two games and build some confidence rather than having him come in cold off the bench against the Pats Falcons, Chiefs, or Broncos. 

"How do I get out of this Chicken $hit Outfit"?

This CS is so afraid of everything I wonder how they can even get dressed in the morning. Play the damned kids and see what you have. This team is a mess and there is absolutely ZERO reason to play McCown or sign Osloser or anyone else's discarded flotsam QB's, let Petty or Hackenberg go out and take their lumps and see what we have. Geez already.

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I'm not sure where the Bryce Petty's low ceiling angle comes from. No he doesn't have Hack's Jeff George like arm but it is way above average. 

So what is his ceiling based on? Size? athleticism? He seems to have come a long way with little attention from coaches or practice time.

Mostly I see his awareness has spiked. His accuracy is far better, and his touch is the best I've seen in Jetland since Chad. I especially was impressed with his awareness of throwing lanes and even changing his arm angle to avoid batted balls without losing accuracy.

I think he was handcuffed last year by the coaching staff, and he needs to be allowed to improvise, and take shots downfield to open up the underneath to be successful. He will never be comfortable as a game manager and maybe that is why he seemed to have a low ceiling. 

I hope he gets to see some game action before we play the browns, and the Jags. It would be nice to see him prepare as the starter for these two games and build some confidence rather than having him come in cold off the bench against the Pats Falcons, Chiefs, or Broncos. 

Exactly this.  I see his style potentially as a 'mini-Favre'.  He will make mistakes, but he could be very effective with a little play in his rope.  This is not the kind of kid who needs or will thrive with a Red-Yellow-Green system.  Those first five game are a real opportunity and the best window (IMO) for him to show what he can do.   I'm really concerned that the CS will waste it on McCown.

@Maxman the only way I can honestly join you in rooting for success is if Petty plays.  I could live with 8-8 from him because at worst he's a legit backup and at best he's either our starter or a tradable asset.  McCown's a nice enough guy I'm sure, but I have no interest in watching him win games because there's no payoff for the team or the fans, only for the coaches.

We all seem to want Petty to do well however, its like having an date/GF who is loyal and taking her to a dinner dance or the prom. At the prom there are at least 25 other gals who are hotter, thinner, bigger boobs (lol) etc.  But our girl is loyal. GREAT!

Id like a QB who can win us 11-14 games, its been 45 years or so since we had one with real consistency and longevity.

All this circle jerk about a 4th round QB who in all honesty if he had the goods, we would have seen it more forcefully by now and we would not have drafted Hack.  So we're talking about having a good back up QB that may have to start for us someday.

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

We all seem to want Petty to do well however, its like having an date/GF who is loyal and taking her to a dinner dance or the prom. At the prom there are at least 25 other gals who are hotter, thinner, bigger boobs (lol) etc.  But our girl is loyal. GREAT!

The two other choices are your arthritic grandma or a 22 year-old half-filled blowup doll named Christian Blaise.

21 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Id like a QB who can win us 11-14 games, its been 45 years or so since we had one with real consistency and longevity.

All this circle jerk about a 4th round QB who in all honesty if he had the goods, we would have seen it more forcefully by now and we would not have drafted Hack.  So we're talking about having a good back up QB that may have to start for us someday.

First of all, there was no chance for Petty to have stopped the drafting of Hack.  In 2015, he was backing up Fitz and Geno.  We've already seen how unwilling Bowles is to play a 3rd year player over an established vet so there was no way short of a double homicide that Petty was going to play then and no way an untested 4th rounder was going to stave off drafting another QB higher.  I completely disagree that there was any way for us to see more from Petty given the limited opportunities he's had.  

Second, the reason we all want to see him play is because he is the ONLY QB on the roster who I, at least, believe has a legitimate chance to ever win more 10 games in a season.  McCown hasn't done it in 14 years (his best record is 6-7 back in 2004) and Hack clearly isn't there yet.  So let's see if Petty can pull off a Princess Diaries on everyone and become a winning QB.  The guy I saw in the NYG game certainly looked like he could do more with more talent around him, even against better defenses.  

If you agree with Bowles that Petty's numbers at the end of last season, with a team that had quit on the coaches, represent his ceiling, there's no common ground for us on this issue.  Doesn't make you wrong and me right, but I do hope Bowles' hand is forced and Petty gets a legitimate shot to make him and you look foolish.  What he does with it then is on him.

11 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

To send out Petty on a questionable knee would be negligent. Sure I can not say for sure he is 100% but if he is only at 85% or so and capable of playing that 15% makes it a high risk with low reward in my opinion

Fair point and probably why he never put a helmet on against the Eagles.  From what we were told, he should be 100% by week 1, but I'll even give Bowles a bye on naming McCown the starter since he did qualify it with a 'right now'.  If we are still watching McCown trot out in week 5, that's a different story.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

First of all, there was no chance for Petty to have stopped the drafting of Hack.  In 2015, he was backing up Fitz and Geno.  We've already seen how unwilling Bowles is to play a 3rd year player over an established vet so there was no way short of a double homicide that Petty was going to play then and no way an untested 4th rounder was going to stave off drafting another QB higher.  I completely disagree that there was any way for us to see more from Petty given the limited opportunities he's had.  

Second, the reason we all want to see him play is because he is the ONLY QB on the roster who I, at least, believe has a legitimate chance to win more 11 games in a season.  McCown hasn't done it in 14 years (his best record is 6-7 back in 2004) and Hack clearly isn't there yet.  So let's see if Petty can pull off a Princess Diaries on everyone and become a winning QB.  The guy I saw in the NYG game certainly looked like he could do more with more talent around him, even against better defenses.  

If you agree with Bowles that Petty's numbers at the end of last season, with a team that had quit on the coaches, represent his ceiling, there's no common ground for us on this issue.  Doesn't make you wrong and me right, but I do hope Bowles' hand is forced and Petty gets a legitimate shot to make him and you look foolish.  What he does with it then is on him.

McCown's best record being 6-7 wins is downright depressing. It's a tragedy the kids can't play over a guy like that. I really hate our staff. 

2 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

McCown's best record being 6-7 wins is downright depressing. It's a tragedy the kids can't play over a guy like that. I really hate our staff. 

Welcome to the dark side.  Standing room only.  Drinks are to the left.  Chips and pretzels to the right.

21 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I admit it, I'm intrigued by Petty.  I believe he will be the 2nd QB when the season starts. In all likelihood, he will get a shot as a starter sometime durung the season.

Hackenberg is where Petty was last year.  Petty has to be ahead of Hackenberg on the depth chart at this point.  

It was easy to see that the game has slowed down for Petty. His confidence is much higher. When he came in against the Giants you could see his confidence and the way that the team picked up the tempo.

As I stated I nature thread the pass to BP was a thing a beauty and BP knew what to do with it. Right now he may just be the best QB on this extremely weak roster. He may not have all of the experience that McCown has, but his intensity and drive looked way higher from the view I had.

34 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

McCown is a better QB than Petty right now so I really don't know what you're talking about. He could easily cost us a shot at one of those hot girls you want.

Petty could surprise or go down in flames but at least it would make this season interesting and show some balls from Bolwles. 

Petty will get a shot at some point this year and is certainly better than Hack, but that's really the end of what good can realistically be said.  He had a chance last year and gave no reason to believe he can be a starting-caliber player.  Combine that with a health record that makes the old noodle look like an iron man by comparison, there's really no reason for such sudden interest other than unfortunately having nothing better to talk about.

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Second, the reason we all want to see him play is because he is the ONLY QB on the roster who I, at least, believe has a legitimate chance to ever win more 10 games in a season.  McCown hasn't done it in 14 years (his best record is 6-7 back in 2004) and Hack clearly isn't there yet.  So let's see if Petty can pull off a Princess Diaries on everyone and become a winning QB.  The guy I saw in the NYG game certainly looked like he could do more with more talent around him, even against better defenses.  

You are taking this too seriously.  I'm simply stating how sad our QB situation is that we hope to trot out a 4th round pick from 3 years ago because in 3 years we've gotten worse in almost every offensive position,   This reminds me of the dark days of Foley, Nagel and a host of other NY Jet jerkoffs.  

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

You are taking this too seriously.  I'm simply stating how sad our QB situation is that we hope to trot out a 4th round pick from 3 years ago because in 3 years we've gotten worse in almost every offensive position,   This reminds me of the dark days of Foley, Nagel and a host of other NY Jet jerkoffs.  

3 years with Mike Maccagnan and Todd Blowes calling the shots here, dont hold it against Bryce Petty kid is a decent QB and could have success here with the opportunity. 

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

McCown is a better QB than Petty right now so I really don't know what you're talking about. He could easily cost us a shot at one of those hot girls you want.

Petty could surprise or go down in flames but at least it would make this season interesting and show some balls from Bolwles. 

I agree with all of that... we simply, after having done nothing at the QB position since 2011.  NOTHING and boards like this one , we fans chat about what could be the best option, a bucket of squid, or pail of horse crap.  NY Jets management is simply bottom 10 percent of the league.  

Just now, joewilly12 said:

3 years with Mike Maccagnan and Todd Blowes calling the shots here, dont hold it against Bryce Petty kid is a decent QB and could have success here with the opportunity. 

I hope but he has been given a few opportunities and nothingbearth shattering happened.  But I'd rather start him than McGown. 

Just now, southparkcpa said:

I hope but he has been given a few opportunities and nothingbearth shattering happened.  But I'd rather start him than McGown. 

I disagree he moved the ball and the offense looked fast with him under center he's also got a strong arm and seems to make good decisions which is more than I can say for 18-42 McClown and NeverGonnaBeReadyBerg .

I don't know why people keep referring to last year as a gauging point of pettys ability. He walked into a terrible roster with a shot OL. He had no chemistry with anyone except Robby Anderson because he had reps with him...no one else. What should we have expected. No one wanted to be there but he stayed positive. What I love most is how this team seems to want to play better with him out there. He fires the offence up similar to McCown. Last year should be considered a write off...no way should we be looking at that.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I disagree he moved the ball and the offense looked fast with him under center he's also got a strong arm and seems to make good decisions which is more than I can say for 18-42 McClown and NeverGonnaBeReadyBerg .

Pre season.... lest we forget he was given chances last year as well and showed nothing.  In fact, he had a Kellen Clemens look to him but....  if he can develop, maybe we go  5 and 11 and stay mediocre.   perfect plan for the NY Jets. 

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Pre season.... lest we forget he was given chances last year as well and showed nothing.  In fact, he had a Kellen Clemens look to him but....  if he can develop, maybe we go  5 and 11 and stay mediocre.   perfect plan for the NY Jets. 

McClown is 18-42 as an NFL starter most recent 2-22 I believe, haven't we all seen enough of the NYJets dragging in these old loser re-treads. If we're gonna suck so be it id rather watch a hungry young QB trying to get it done instead of an NFL loser vet go through the motions here. 

15 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

McClown is 18-42 as an NFL starter most recent 2-22 I believe, haven't we all seen enough of the NYJets dragging in these old loser re-treads. If we're gonna suck so be it id rather watch a hungry young QB trying to get it done instead of an NFL loser vet go through the motions here. 

No question....  I totally agree.  Doesn't mean this franchise has totally neglected the most important position on the field for years.

14 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

We will be 2 and 6 and it won't matter.... we are simply discussing who will be our QB to guide us to 4th place in the AFC East.

id rather start Petty .....  then Hack.  

Fixed that for you.

Archived