Nice Petty article

Patriot Killa

On 9/3/2017 at 0:23 PM, Bleedin Green said:

Petty will get a shot at some point this year and is certainly better than Hack, but that's really the end of what good can realistically be said.  He had a chance last year and gave no reason to believe he can be a starting-caliber player.  Combine that with a health record that makes the old noodle look like an iron man by comparison, there's really no reason for such sudden interest other than unfortunately having nothing better to talk about.

The most popular guy in town is the backup QB. That is a good place for Petty to start. McCown is a great guy to backup because history shows it won't be for long.

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

The most popular guy in town is the backup QB. That is a good place for Petty to start. McCown is a great guy to backup because history shows it won't be for long.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015091305/2015/REG1/browns@jets#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000536394&tab=recap

Good case in point right here. The start of the "how short can an era be" Manziel Era. :D 

On 9/3/2017 at 6:32 AM, T0mShane said:

Petty can be a mess at times, but he genuinely seems to enjoy playing football for the Jets, seems to be pretty tough, and it's clear that his teammates genuinely like him. He competes, doesn't sulk, and throws the ball down the field. Reminds me so much of Jon Kitna which, obviously, isn't great, but you'll tolerate the mistakes if the dude is out there brawling for you. McCown is similar in that his teammates like him and he scraps, but he's also 38 and is no one's idea of a building block. As for Hackenberg, it's one thing to be terrible at football, but when you combine that with having the personality of the young poof princeling from Braveheart, you may as well fold up the tent.

Quite possibly the greatest summation in one sentence of a player I have seen to date. Bravo Sir, Bravo.

On 9/3/2017 at 1:25 PM, southparkcpa said:

No question....  I totally agree.  Doesn't mean this franchise has totally neglected the most important position on the field for years.

What are you talking about? They addressed safety in the draft just 3 seasons ago, plus signed Gilchrist a year later. Then as soon as we realized those moves just weren't panning out, we used the #6 pick and our high 2nd rounder on two more safeties.

This franchise knows, and has known, all about which positions superbowl winners are built around. Put down the haterade. 

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What are you talking about? They addressed safety in the draft just 3 seasons ago, plus signed Gilchrist a year later. Then as soon as we realized those moves just weren't panning out, we used the #6 pick and our high 2nd rounder on two more safeties.

This franchise knows, and has known, all about which positions superbowl winners are built around. Put down the haterade. 

You forgot to mention the Safety they drafted in the 2016 1st round also.

39 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You forgot to mention all the work that went into addressing the long snapper position. Get with the program and be a real fan.

On 9/3/2017 at 8:07 AM, NYs Stepchild said:

McCown is a better QB than Petty right now so I really don't know what you're talking about. He could easily cost us a shot at one of those hot girls you want.

Petty could surprise or go down in flames but at least it would make this season interesting and show some balls from Bolwles. 

Dont agree with that all. MCClown is just Fitz 2.0 which Bowles wants, but Petty is a better QB than McClown. What the hell else does he need to show people for them to catch on?

I swear to god the biggest problem in the NFL is outside some very rare situations many teams like the Jets just NEVER EVER evaluate a player purely on what he is now without going back to the round he was drafted in.

I really think that is the issue with Petty. McCoffee actually stated that he drafted Petty to be a long term backup and just cannot get his very limited mind around the fact that Petty is showing serious starter potential.

18 hours ago, Maxman said:

I don't see any scenario where all 3 QBs don't play this year.

We are the Jets. McClown will be surprisingly durable and play all 16 games for Toilet Bowles. And we select CB with the 6th pick and S/LB hybrid at 38. We do pick up a project tackle in the 5th round, though. McCoffee is very pleased with his draft. We also sign a different 35+ year old backup for Fitz 3.0, but draft no new QB.

5 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Give Petty his shot. You know McCown will eventually be on the sidelines due to injury or necessity. What happens if Petty does get his shot, jells with the young WR's and the  Jets win 6-7 games? Answer: With that schedule it would be a miracle.

Here is a little Clip that reminds me that Miracles do come true and there are indeed more than one way to win over a locker room..

Heaven Can Wait gentleman... Heaven Can Wait..

6 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Give Petty his shot. You know McCown will eventually be on the sidelines due to injury or necessity. What happens if Petty does get his shot, jells with the young WR's and the  Jets win 6-7 games? Answer: With that schedule it would be a miracle.

Petty will get his shot this season - and hopefully he makes the most of it.

He has the tools to be a successful starting QB in this league.

The key for Petty is staying healthy.

Once he slides into the starting job, he needs to show some grit and physical toughness.

I believe this is the one area he has been coming up short - and it's also a big reason why he is not starting right now - his latest knee injury in the Jets last pre-season game is just further evidence of that - not to mention the injuries he suffered last season.

This is his season to step up and show that he can take some licks, get up and dust himself off and keep playing well - and not just for a game or two - but for the remainder of the season from the time he takes over.

If he takes over and gets hurt in the first 2 or 3 games - that will probably be it for Petty with this team.

Archived