Scouting the qbs for next year thread

Joe W. Namath

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

It's amazing how the narrative of this game and the legend of josh rosen change completely if the A&M Safety doesn't let a gifted interception go right through his hands.  

I was shocked to read that Rosen led a miraculous comeback.  I didnt see the 2nd half, but the highlights showed (at least to me) that he threw 2 balls that should have been easily picked, and both turned into TDs.  Did he make other good throws that got them back into it?

Overall I think the Falk had the best opening game, 30-39 3 TDs, easy win for his team.

8 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I was shocked to read that Rosen led a miraculous comeback.  I didnt see the 2nd half, but the highlights showed (at least to me) that he threw 2 balls that should have been easily picked, and both turned into TDs.  Did he make other good throws that got them back into it?

Overall I think the Falk had the best opening game, 30-39 3 TDs, easy win for his team.

don't get me wrong, Rosen played a great game and I was impressed by the arm strength for a guy 9 months removed from shoulder surgery.  It's just amazing how different the story would have been if that gimme int was caught.   

19 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

don't get me wrong, Rosen played a great game and I was impressed by the arm strength for a guy 9 months removed from shoulder surgery.  It's just amazing how different the story would have been if that gimme int was caught.   

Right? There were one or two other really dangerous throws too... I guess you need a QB with guts, but some were a little ill advised..

19 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Even with the picks he still was the best prospect week one.

32 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Right? There were one or two other really dangerous throws too... I guess you need a QB with guts, but some were a little ill advised..

I disagree as to the characterization of some of his second half throws as being"ill advised". He was trying to come back in the second half of a blow-out. He threw many passes away in the first half when he was under constant pressure. In my view he showed excellent game and situational awareness because he did not start taking chances until the second half when he had no other choice because he was trying to win the game rather than pad his stats with check-down completions.

14 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

So right now... Or at least prior to the first weeks game it seems the consensus order I see in mock drafts goes -> Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Jackson...

It'll be interesting to see how that fluctuates throughout the season. 

Allen!? Really!? After his game against Iowa, he has to play his way back onto my list. I've got it now as Darnold, Rosen, Jackson, Falk, Mayfield.

18 hours ago, Mogglez said:

We have certainly talked about that.  Extensively.  I could write about 5 pages on the Hackenberg situation and the thought process there, but I don't want to waste too much time on it in a prospects thread.  For anyone who wants a little closure, it boils down to this:

The second they got him into the film room and interviews, they loved him.  Everyone I've ever spoken to about Hackenberg says the same thing:  In the film room, he's absolutely brilliant.  He retains information like a seasoned vet, is a great kid, and seems to have an excellent football mind.  This comes from my buddy and people he works with on the team, former teammates (I played high school ball with a WR of Hack's), and some PSU staff.  The major concerns that they had were that they felt that there was a chance that he was shell-shocked from his time behind the line of PSU.  Nothing really we didn't already know.  However, they felt that he was young enough to get over it and with some mechanical coaching, he could get back to being the QB everyone thought he could be.  After teams met with him 1-1, that notion was reinforced.  The Jets were not the only team who felt this way, if everything I've been told is true...for the record.  My friend felt more comfortable with him in the mid-bottom 3rd round/early 4th, but the consensus was that he wasn't going to be there.  2 other teams were targeting him in the early 3rd.  Macc, from my understanding, just didn't want to take the chance on him being taken and pulled the trigger.  I'm of the belief that if you believe in a guy, you go and get him.  Just don't be surprised if you have to answer for it when it's a gamble like the one they made.  That's for Macc to do though, not me.

As with any prospect, there were some people within who didn't fully believe that Hack could be put back together again, but the consensus belief was that the reward outweighed the risk and that, just like with Jimmy Clausen, as long as a first round pick wasn't used, you could move on quickly if it wasn't meant to be for Hack and you loved a QB coming out in the upcoming drafts. 

Where we stand now is that Hackenberg basically has, what I like to call, Jay Cutler syndrome going on.  In film study, game prep, there's no issues.  He can call out a blitz, read the Defense, know what play to check into, etc...when he gets onto the field, into the thick of things, with the game flying at 110MPH, everything he knows to do just never materializes.  It's disappointing.  There isn't a soul in that organization that doesn't feel frustrated or upset.  That's all I can really say at this point.  They're coming to the realization that the project likely won't pan out and putting all their focus into the evaluation of the other guys on the roster along with scouting the big name QBs on their list. Petty (to answer @nycdan) isn't hated or been forgotten about either...he will get his shot.  The injuries have not helped get him on the field though.  There was a decent chance we're looking at Bryce Week 1 if he wasn't injured...again.  He isn't full go yet.

I hope that's enough for you to feel satisfied my friend.  I could go on about it for hours...but the skinny of it basically covers the important stuff.  I believed in the kid too...I'm not gonna lie.  I'll own it.  It stings me a bit to know I was totally wrong too...but it's not the first time and it won't be the last for me.  We'll see if Macc gets a chance to right his wrong at QB...if not, so be it.  I'm not a GM.  Him being wrong has far more consequences that he'll have to deal with.

HAckenberg's not done yet.  Even if we pick Rosen, or Darnold, Hackenberg still has a shot to make the team.  Most of us had given up on Petty last year, now we'd like to see him be the starter.  Petty made some strides between his 2nd and 3rd year and so will Hackenberg.  That's not saying he will ever be a starter.

32 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

HAckenberg's not done yet.  Even if we pick Rosen, or Darnold, Hackenberg still has a shot to make the team.  Most of us had given up on Petty last year, now we'd like to see him be the starter.  Petty made some strides between his 2nd and 3rd year and so will Hackenberg.  That's not saying he will ever be a starter.

Petty was never as bad as Hack. Compare their second year preseasons

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I disagree as to the characterization of some of his second half throws as being"ill advised". He was trying to come back in the second half of a blow-out. He threw many passes away in the first half when he was under constant pressure. In my view he showed excellent game and situational awareness because he did not start taking chances until the second half when he had no other choice because he was trying to win the game rather than pad his stats with check-down completions.

This!  How many times have we seen QBs throw the ball away on 3rd down or just crumble under pressure.  They were still coming after him in the 4th qtr.  

And as many times as I have heard the Hack crew excuse his play because he got destroyed by a blitzed, that happened multiple times yesterday and he still made **** happen.  

Jets QB search: UCLA's Josh Rosen creates buzz with epic performance

play

Ad (0:10)

12:33 PM ET
  • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

FacebooTwitterFacebook MessengerPinterestEmaiprcomment

The quarterback-starved New York Jets probably have their eye on the 2018 draft, which could feature three top talents. As a public service, we'll provide a weekly update on the big three, ranking them from a scouting perspective:

Our weekly power rankings:

ADVERTISEMENT

1. Josh Rosen, UCLA

It was a spectacular 2017 debut for Rosen, who rallied the Bruins Sunday night from a 34-point deficit in a 45-44 win over Texas A&M. Scouts always look for a quarterback's ability to rally his team; it's a window into how they handle adversity. Rosen passed for four touchdowns and 491 yards, including 292 in the fourth quarter. Yes, he handled it pretty well. Next week: Hawaii at home.

2. Sam Darnold, USC

Darnold threw two interceptions in USC's 49-31 win over Western Michigan -- an off-target throw over the middle and a 50-50 ball in which the defender made a juggling catch on the sideline. It was a run-reliant game plan for the Trojans, as Darnold operated a short passing attack. The game was unexpectedly close into the fourth quarter, but Darnold never lost his poise. Scouts say that's one of his best attributes; he never gets rattled. He threw for 289 yards, but had no touchdown passes. Next week: Stanford at home.

3. Josh Allen, Wyoming

He didn't help his draft stock at all, throwing for only 174 yards and two interceptions in a 24-3 loss to Iowa. Allen didn't get much help from his receivers -- there were a handful of drops, including a would-be touchdown -- but he'll hear criticism because it was the second time in his career that he played poorly against a school from a Power 5 conference. Next week: Gardner-Webb at home.

2 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

I mean, the fact that he was getting mercilessly pounded throughout the first half and didn't roll up into a ball in the second half was pretty amazing, imo. A lot of pretty QBs start looking for the sidelines when that sh*t is going down 

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Not originally, but they do have some really good pizza places there.  My in-laws live near there and we hit Modern Apizza from time to time.  

No legit. Native Americans started making pizza in the New Haven, Ct region back when giants still roamed the earth. And yes, Giants really once roamed the Earth. That I'm sure of. 

Finally got to catch up on Lamar Jackson's weekend performance.

Night and day from last year.  Kid keeps making strides as a passer.  I'm still not 100% in on him being a top 3 QB in this class, but this was a step in the right direction.  He very well might be when it's all said and done.  

Hisfeet still need a lot of improvement.  His footwork reminds me a lot of Dak Prescott back at Mississippi State, very sloppy but easily fixable.  There are a lot of good things that can be molded.  His athleticism is up there at Mike Vick's level. 

5 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Here is Hacks value. He is Young and has tools. If he is the back up for the Jets for the next 3 years and in years 2 and 3 actually does well in the preseason, some QB desperate team.might send us a conditional draft pick for him. Other than that Hack has little value to the Jets. And Petty has even less value, no talent evaluators believe he is starting QB material and even if he tears it up in the preseason, they will check it up to it being meaningless production against scrubs.

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Allen!? Really!? After his game against Iowa, he has to play his way back onto my list. I've got it now as Darnold, Rosen, Jackson, Falk, Mayfield.

Don't forget Mason Rudolph - top 3 after week 1, Rudolph was 20/24 for 303 yards, 3 TDs through the air and another on the ground on Thursday against Tulsa who went 10-3 last year - amazing how little press he gets 

My top 5 after week 1 is; Rosen, Rudolph, Darnold, Jackson, field* 

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Finally got to catch up on Lamar Jackson's weekend performance.

Night and day from last year.  Kid keeps making strides as a passer.  I'm still not 100% in on him being a top 3 QB in this class, but this was a step in the right direction.  He very well might be when it's all said and done.  

Hisfeet still need a lot of improvement.  His footwork reminds me a lot of Dak Prescott back at Mississippi State, very sloppy but easily fixable.  There are a lot of good things that can be molded.  His athleticism is up there at Mike Vick's level. 

After seeing this video....DO NOT WANT.

14 hours ago, SenorGato said:

I'm thinking Mason Rudolph

He was the most impressive QB IMO. I'm not sold on Darnold yet, and two of Rosen's TDs were of the chuck-it-up-in-the-air-and-pray variety.* They could have easily gone the other way. 

* Notice I didn't call them Hail Mary passes. After all, he's Jewish.

Archived