Scouting the qbs for next year thread

Joe W. Namath

5 minutes ago, Stark said:

rudolph or mayfield.

Both of these guys are gonna have a long road to get up to speed to play in the NFL, if they are special then it won't be an issue, but if they are just good they are multi year developmental guys because of the same reasons people said Mahomes is, BUT again if they have IT then they can be the exception, Rudolph has the leadership, and competitve fire I love to see, but still has a long way to go in picking up a NFL pro offense, Mayfield looks more holy sh*t he might have IT, and who gives a sh*t what system he played in.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, KRL said:

Watching USC / Stanford and I'm shocked to see that USC is no longer
running a pro style offense.  Which is very disappointing because
that adds questions to the evaluation of Darnold:

- Can he take snaps from under center?  Can he call plays in the huddle?
Can he set protections?  Can he audible to other plays based on the defense?
- He has a decent arm
- Good accuracy
- Good mobility in and out of the pocket.  He's able to maintain his 
accuracy on the move
- He needs to add more definition to his frame

I'm not worried with the "anti pro style" wrinkles.  I think it has more to do with their downgrade at WR with the loss of JuJu.  That offense, while still strong, misses him badly.  Without top tier, experienced, talent, it can be tough to run a pure pro system.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

Both of these guys are gonna have a long road to get up to speed to play in the NFL, if they are special then it won't be an issue, but if they are just good they are multi year developmental guys because of the same reasons people said Mahomes is, BUT again if they have IT then they can be the exception, Rudolph has the leadership, and competitve fire I love to see, but still has a long way to go in picking up a NFL pro offense, Mayfield looks more holy sh*t he might have IT, and who gives a sh*t what system he played in.

I agree they just have something about them and Mayfield is freaking out of his mind.  I think Mahomes is a step above both from arm talent. I too really like Mahomes and hope he shows out when he gets to play.

Darnold just threw 2nd pick.

Darnold and Rosen are making tomorrow's game rough to look forward to. First time in my life I hope we lose. Please dear Lord make it a blow out. Suck for Samsen. 

I hope to see development and effort. And hope we lose. I just have a gut feeling Bowles will eak out meaningless wins ...

We do not have anywhere near enough draft cache to trade up into the top two.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I know college coaches are only concerned with winning games and getting
their next contract but I'm really sick of seeing everyone go to these
gimmick offenses.  They do their QB's no favor by dumbing down the position
and having everyone look over to the sideline for the play.  Give the QB
some responsiblity for calling the play and making some adjustments at
the line

8 minutes ago, KRL said:

- He has a decent arm
- Good accuracy
accuracy on the move

Honestly people need to stop nit picking every physical attribute, and system the QB plays in, yes you need at least average NFL physical ability, BUT to me the most important thing is finding the guy that has "IT" the rest be damned, scouts are just over thinking the whole QB process IMO, I get why because there is just so ffew who actually have "IT", but when you see the guy with "IT" forget the rest, and go get your guy.

The only concerns I have with the 2 picks is that I'm legitimately worried that Sam will stay back one more year.  Really, really, really hope he doesn't make that mistake.

They weren't even horrendous throws.  They were more phenomenal plays by a fantastic secondary.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

I'm not worried. I think it has more to do with their downgrade at WR with the loss of JuJu.  That offense, while still strong, misses him badly. 

Much of what i'm hearing and watching from/about Sammy boy is what I heard and saw with Mark Sanchez, Jared Goff to some extent Peyton Manning . I didn't like any of em coming into the NFL .  Gotta say I wasn't a fan of Andrew Luck either .

Loved Eli and Jay Cutler . Once I started paying attention to Wentz I was all in . Last draft I was all in on Trubisky .  You want to impress me as a QB, take nothing and make it something .  Josh Rosen playing behind that awful UCLA OL with that bunch of misfit receivers, is impressing the heck out of me .

Honestly the only concern I see with Darnold is a few times those "accurate" balls are a bit under thrown and the receiver made a heck of a catch...In the NFL I'm not so sure he'd have gotten away with some of those.....the jury is still out in my opinion but I do like him otherwise...my favorite right now is still Rosen.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

The only concerns I have with the 2 picks is that I'm legitimately worried that Sam will stay back one more year.  Really, really, really hope he doesn't make that mistake.

When Sam gets to watch this tape against this Stanford Defense he will get the best education he has ever gotten from watching game film of himself, both those picks were great plays, and recognition by the Stanford secondary.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Honestly people need to stop nit picking every physical attribute, and system the QB plays in, yes you need at least average NFL physical ability, BUT to me the most important thing is finding the guy that has "IT" the rest be damned, scouts are just over thinking the whole QB process IMO, I get why because there is just so ffew who actually have "IT", but when you see the guy with "IT" forget the rest, and go get your guy.

This is what I have been saying for a while. You can't judge the system as much as the past. Just the nature of college football now.

find a kid that makes plays, carries his team when he has to(rises to the moment ), has a killer instinct, then draft the guy.  

13 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Much of what i'm hearing and watching from/about Sammy boy is what I heard and saw with Mark Sanchez, Jared Goff to some extent Peyton Manning . I didn't like any of em coming into the NFL .  Gotta say I wasn't a fan of Andrew Luck either .

Loved Eli and Jay Cutler . Once I started paying attention to Wentz I was all in . Last draft I was all in on Trubisky .  You want to impress me as a QB, take nothing and make it something .  Josh Rosen playing behind that awful UCLA OL with that bunch of misfit receivers, is impressing the heck out of me .

I'm not gonna totally dismiss this.  However, I don't think Sam can't thrive without the crutches of the gimmicky wrinkles.  Quite the opposite actually.  I think it's more along the lines of USC trying to go above and beyond for a chance at a national title and, in turn, abandoning a little bit of what works best for Sam: a pure pro offense.

I get it, thats what college programs are always shooting for, but fans of watching NFL talent develop are left out to dry.

Dropping in on the OK / Ohio St. game and I would have to say Baker Mayfield
is similar to Darnold.  The point that will hurt Mayfield is his frame is
much smaller and he doesn't have room for growth.  Because of that the pros
will mark him down but does he have a Russell Wilson work ethic to overcome
that?

8 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

When Sam gets to watch this tape against this Stanford Defense he will get the best education he has ever gotten from watching game film of himself, both those picks were great plays, and recognition by the Stanford secondary.

Totally agree.

While the picks worry me a small amount, it's very early.  Teams are still showing him new things after an off-season of work, tape study of Sam, and adjusting their defenses accordingly.  Ultimately, I think Darnold closes out very strong and cuts back on the turnovers with adjustments of his own.  

that?

Are you sure ? I'd like to hear more about Mayfield's ability to read the field under duress.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

that?

Kid can play . He's got heart 

8 minutes ago, KRL said:

that?

Mayfield is basically Johnny Football without the cocaine.   Super exciting college player, may be the next brees or flutie, could also be the next Kannel or andre ware.   You draft him in the 5th and see what happens.   

1 minute ago, LionelRichie said:

Mayfield is basically Johnny Football without the cocaine.   Super exciting college player, may be the next brees or flutie, could also be the next Kannel or andre ware.   You draft him in the 5th and see what happens.   

Lol, the way he is playing he won't get out of 1st round.  He is way better than Johnny Football..

5 minutes ago, Stark said:

Lol, the way he is playing he won't get out of 1st round.  He is way better than Johnny Football..

no chance he goes in the 1st rd.   there just aren't that many teams looking for QB's and the first 4 are going to be rosen, darnold, rudolph, allen.   Mayfield is Kirk cousins in the luck/rg3 draft.   

42 minutes ago, KRL said:

- He has a decent arm
- Good accuracy
accuracy on the move

This right here will pretty much force Darnold to leave after this season, the longer he is in a system like this the more questions the scouts will make up, same reason why it was a no brainer for Mahomes to come out last year, he was never going to start the process of becoming an NFL QB until he left Texas Tech, now with USC doing this with Darnold he will be better off getting out of there as soon as possible IMO.

40 minutes ago, KRL said:

I know college coaches are only concerned with winning games and getting
their next contract but I'm really sick of seeing everyone go to these
gimmick offenses.  They do their QB's no favor by dumbing down the position
and having everyone look over to the sideline for the play.  Give the QB
some responsiblity for calling the play and making some adjustments at
the line

College football sucks at Football. It really does. I can see a time in the near future where the Pro Style QB is extinct and its totally spread shotgun 5 wide bubble screen one read garbage with former Running backs staring at the sidelines where interns are holding signs of pictures of Miss Piggy and crap like that....wait, what?

Its already hard enough to find a competent OLineman.

LOL. Hard to watch for a Football Purist.

Archived