Scouting the qbs for next year thread

Joe W. Namath

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Titan24 said:

I like Josh Allen still.....call me crazy......guy had nothing to work with vs Iowa trying to make plays and threw some absolute lasers.... you are right though Jackson looked good.

im watching this A&M team smoke UCLA.... like this Kevin Sumlin coach 

Forget it, he's not leaving A&M .  He gets paid well, will get a monster next payday and is a king  at that university . Why would he leave that to take a job where he will get fired in 4 yrs .  He's already turned down the NFL.

8 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I have to start questioning if this is a case of UCLA not having guys who can get open, OR guys who just don't want to go to war with Rosen.  That is the whispers around him that his teammates don't like him, and this looks like a team not willing to play for this QB IMO, they are quitting out there.

Yes, everyone else on UCLA is purposefully tanking their own draft stock to get back at big bad Rosen.  They literally hate him so much, that they would cost themselves their entire futures to get back at him.

This looks like a bad team with one good piece, ala Matt Ryan at BC.

Just now, Mogglez said:

Yes, everyone else on UCLA is purposefully tanking their draft stock to get back at big bad Rosen.  They literally hate him so much, that they would cost themselves their entire futures to get back at him.

They're going to get that kid hurt thou.

I have to start questioning if this is a case of UCLA not having guys who can get open, OR guys who just don't want to go to war with Rosen.  That is the whispers around him that his teammates don't like him, and this looks like a team not willing to play for this QB IMO, they are quitting out there.
So they're tanking the whole season week 1 because they don't like the QB?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Forget it, he's not leaving A&M .  He gets paid well, will get a monster next payday and is a king  at that university . Why would he leave that to take a job where he will get fired in 4 yrs .  He's already turned down the NFL.

Sumlin in SEC will never beat Bama and Saban.   Think guy could be had soon but who knows.  

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yes, everyone else on UCLA is purposefully tanking their own draft stock to get back at big bad Rosen.  They literally hate him so much, that they would cost themselves their entire futures to get back at him.

5 minutes ago, adb280z said:

So they're tanking the whole season week 1 because they don't like the QB?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Show me where I said tanking?

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

They're going to get that kid hurt thou.

This!

3 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

Sumlin in SEC will never beat Bama and Saban.   Think guy could be had soon but who knows.  

I won't be so sure, he came real close with crazy Johnny .   I want to see this A&M team play LSU"s defense then I will know .  

5 minutes ago, HessStation said:

So I'm watching this ucla game and it's just an inconclusive for Rosen. The team is so horrible he's impossible to judge. And please, that neither for or against him. It's just impossible to tell.team stinks

Same thing but probably to greater extent with Josh Allen.  

Just now, T0mShane said:

That was behind the receiver, but pretty sweet nonetheless. Rosen doesnt rattle.

if they pick 7 and he's there they better take him. Wait, stop what I really mean is if they don't take a qb whatever one where ever they pick it will be over between us. The Jets and I

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

I won't be so sure, he came real close with crazy Johnny .   I want to see this A&M team play LSU"s defense then I will know .  

I'm a big LSU guy love watching them to watch nfl prospects.... A&M /LSU are mirror images year in year out. Huge work to beat this Bama team.  UCLA soft as a marshmallow

Just now, Titan24 said:

I'm a big LSU guy love watching them to watch nfl prospects.... A&M /LSU are mirror images year in year out. Huge work to beat this Bama team.  UCLA soft as a marshmallow

War Eagle here . Hoping we can take down Bama this year .

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

We have certainly talked about that.  Extensively.  I could write about 5 pages on the Hackenberg situation and the thought process there, but I don't want to waste too much time on it in a prospects thread.  For anyone who wants a little closure, it boils down to this:

The second they got him into the film room and interviews, they loved him.  Everyone I've ever spoken to about Hackenberg says the same thing:  In the film room, he's absolutely brilliant.  He retains information like a seasoned vet, is a great kid, and seems to have an excellent football mind.  This comes from my buddy and people he works with on the team, former teammates (I played high school ball with a WR of Hack's), and some PSU staff.  The major concerns that they had were that they felt that there was a chance that he was shell-shocked from his time behind the line of PSU.  Nothing really we didn't already know.  However, they felt that he was young enough to get over it and with some mechanical coaching, he could get back to being the QB everyone thought he could be.  After teams met with him 1-1, that notion was reinforced.  The Jets were not the only team who felt this way, if everything I've been told is true...for the record.  My friend felt more comfortable with him in the mid-bottom 3rd round/early 4th, but the consensus was that he wasn't going to be there.  2 other teams were targeting him in the early 3rd.  Macc, from my understanding, just didn't want to take the chance on him being taken and pulled the trigger.  I'm of the belief that if you believe in a guy, you go and get him.  Just don't be surprised if you have to answer for it when it's a gamble like the one they made.  That's for Macc to do though, not me.

As with any prospect, there were some people within who didn't fully believe that Hack could be put back together again, but the consensus belief was that the reward outweighed the risk and that, just like with Jimmy Clausen, as long as a first round pick wasn't used, you could move on quickly if it wasn't meant to be for Hack and you loved a QB coming out in the upcoming drafts. 

Where we stand now is that Hackenberg basically has, what I like to call, Jay Cutler syndrome going on.  In film study, game prep, there's no issues.  He can call out a blitz, read the Defense, know what play to check into, etc...when he gets onto the field, into the thick of things, with the game flying at 110MPH, everything he knows to do just never materializes.  It's disappointing.  There isn't a soul in that organization that doesn't feel frustrated or upset.  That's all I can really say at this point.  They're coming to the realization that the project likely won't pan out and putting all their focus into the evaluation of the other guys on the roster along with scouting the big name QBs on their list. Petty (to answer @nycdan) isn't hated or been forgotten about either...he will get his shot.  The injuries have not helped get him on the field though.  There was a decent chance we're looking at Bryce Week 1 if he wasn't injured...again.  He isn't full go yet.

I hope that's enough for you to feel satisfied my friend.  I could go on about it for hours...but the skinny of it basically covers the important stuff.  I believed in the kid too...I'm not gonna lie.  I'll own it.  It stings me a bit to know I was totally wrong too...but it's not the first time and it won't be the last for me.  We'll see if Macc gets a chance to right his wrong at QB...if not, so be it.  I'm not a GM.  Him being wrong has far more consequences that he'll have to deal with.

Thanks. Appreciate you taking the time to share. We (the proverbial us) have to sift through a lot cynicism, hyperbole and such -- so it's nice to have regular Miller-time talk... You more than painted a picture. I get it. I guess I just always wanted to understand if his selection was an exercise in arrogance, or whether there was honest intentions. Either way, it sucks for everyone that dream that never took off. Feel like they still need to roll him out there for 4-5 games to get their money's worth and find out what happens when you just let him play. 

One thing I wish i knew; whether the rumored Jets move up to #1 last year was attached to Wentz or not. Macc's failed to produce talent at QB picking in the bargain bin, but what does it look like if he gets his pick of anyone? Was he a Goff or a Wentz guy?... Would he have picked Winston, or Mariota?... It need to know that if he's got the card that says #1 next april, he'll make the right choice. 

Rosen's frame is a little scrawny but you have to give him credit for
his toughness and ability to stay in the pocket because his OLine
is getting whipped.  Other observations:

- With Mora as his HC he's playing in a straight up pro system which
is a plus
- Considering he's coming off an arm injury I'm impressed with his arm
strength
- He stays focused down the field even when pressured
- Shows good mobility in and out of the pocket
- Scans the field on all levels looking for open receivers

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

is a plus
strength

So much Eli there.

1 minute ago, KRL said:

is a plus
strength

KRL always respect your opinion.....Like Allen more than Rosen thus far... some of those throws outside the numbers Allen made were NFL throws.

Hard to judge Darnild vs W Mich

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I can tell you that he's on the fringe of entering the top tier for us.  I say this as someone who is not totally sold on Jackson in the 1st just yet so you know I'm not placing my own biases in there.  My buddy and the team, who have, admittedly, done far more research on him than I have, said that he is likely closer to be a top pick than Allen on their board.

Well thank fck... cause i don't trust Allen as far as I can throw him. 

Jackson's accuracy issues are overblown and his pocket awareness is underappreciated. When it's not a designed run - he does everything he can to find the open guy and follow his reads. Its laughable IMO that people keep pretending like he's just another athlete playing the position. I think he could be a Cam Newton for someobody. They're styles are different, but the production will be similar. 

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

is a plus
strength

I like how the ball comes out of his hand also .

Archived