Scouting the qbs for next year thread

Joe W. Namath

So after week one:

Allen is off the list.

Darnold was off the list but then crept back on the list.

Rudolph is on the list.

Maydfield is looking at the list and thinking of applying for the list.

Faulk is eyeing the list from below the list.

Jackson is on the list but with one foot on the list and the other just off the list.

Rosen was on the list then off the list and then leap frogged every one to be on the top of the list.

(List subject to change from week to week)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/2/2017 at 5:42 PM, Spoot-Face said:

Are you and Stidham going to be the next Villain and Glennon?

Nah @Lupz27 is just a passenger in the back of the Stidham bus I'm driving.  Stidham IMO has the best combination of footwork, accuracy and arm talent in this draft.  What I don't know yet is if he is the tough, persevering gamer that Mahomes, Darnold and Rosen are.  Also I want to see him use his underrated athleticism to create more big play opportunities downfield with his arm when the pocket breaks down rather than tucking and running.  Hopefully as the rust wears off and he gets more comfortable in the offense, he'll start to show more of that.  Clemson is next so we'll see.

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So after week one:

Allen is off the list.

Darnold was off the list but then crept back on the list.

Rudolph is on the list.

Maydfield is looking at the list and thinking of applying for the list.

Faulk is eyeing the list from below the list.

Jackson is on the list but with one foot on the list and the other just off the list.

Rosen was on the list then off the list and then leap frogged every one to be on the top of the list.

(List subject to change from week to week)

And Stidham is on the list with invisible ink

If things go south or McCown injured the guy you give the key shot to is Petty who could be ready to start. If he plays well we don't have to draft a Qb and can either trade the pick to get more depth or use it at another key position. With Petty you have a Qb who is in his third NFL season, played a few games, looked good in preseason. The training is already there with a new Qb you have to start from square one. Of course if Petty or even Hack plays poorly you draft a Qb. 

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

If Leach was still at Tech, and Falk was there with him, nobody would want him.  Everybody knew not to draft a Tech QB.

This is the same thing, don't draft an air raid qb

And Jackson is an rg3 clone.

Still have it Darnold, Allen, Rudolph, Rosen

My thoughts:

-Falk can and should be drafted just not in the first round.  

-Jackson needs to be drafted by the right team and OC; I don't think that's us.  

-Rudolph is a late first early 2nd; I like him as a fall back option.  

-The top 3 is still the top 3 with Rosen leap frogging Darnold for that top spot which should have been his from the get go anyway.  Darnold's arm strength and throwing mechanics are legitimate concerns.

-Despite his short-comings GMs will fall in love with Allen's physical tools.

-Stidham still a wildcard laying in the weeds.

On 9/4/2017 at 0:52 PM, Mogglez said:

Finally got to catch up on Lamar Jackson's weekend performance.

Night and day from last year.  Kid keeps making strides as a passer.  I'm still not 100% in on him being a top 3 QB in this class, but this was a step in the right direction.  He very well might be when it's all said and done.  

Hisfeet still need a lot of improvement.  His footwork reminds me a lot of Dak Prescott back at Mississippi State, very sloppy but easily fixable.  There are a lot of good things that can be molded.  His athleticism is up there at Mike Vick's level. 

I know, right?!? Like, how much longer can people continue to pretend like LJ is not a QB. He's made so much progress, it's phenomenal... not mention, he is VERY comfortable in the pocket. I don't see enough recognition of his patience and willingness to sit in the trenches with his eyes downfield. The ball comes out effortlessly.... He's not a finished product, mechanics and footwork need attention... but cmon... that guy could take a team places. 

15 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

If Leach was still at Tech, and Falk was there with him, nobody would want him.  Everybody knew not to draft a Tech QB.

This is the same thing, don't draft an air raid qb

And Jackson is an rg3 clone.

Still have it Darnold, Allen, Rudolph, Rosen

This reads like someone who caught highlights and picked the narratives you fancied. 

No one's in love with Falk because of his air raid numbers. People like him because of this touch/timing/placement.

Jackson is one of the few who can play QB. Yes, if you can stomach the notion, there is some uber-athletic QBs who are also can throw and play the position. 

Paradis list as of week 1:

Rosen (snuck back over Darnold with a healthy showing)

Darnold

Jackson

Falk

Rudolph

Allen

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

This reads like someone who caught highlights and picked the narratives you fancied. 

No one's in love with Falk because of his air raid numbers. People like him because of this touch/timing/placement.

Jackson is one of the few who can play QB. Yes, if you can stomach the notion, there is some uber-athletic QBs who are also can throw and play the position. 

Paradis list as of week 1:

Rosen (snuck back over Darnold with a healthy showing)

Darnold

Jackson

Falk

Rudolph

Allen

Jackson is a rail thin qb who's strength is to run, how long do you think he'll last.

Has trouble with accuracy, and whips it, with zero touch.

Falk was a 2 star recruit that nobody wanted, steps in here and now is a first round qb, maybe but history tells us it's the system.

and I watch a lot more college than pro ball

4 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Jackson is a rail thin qb who's strength is to run, how long do you think he'll last.

Disagree totally.  I think Lamar Jackson's accuracy is actually very underrated I've seen him thread the needle really well in games.

If we screw up the tank and don't get a top 3 pick I want Lamar Jackson in round 1.

Just now, Philc1 said:

Whatdya think Sperm?  Do we go 6-10 and both Macagnan and Bowles get contract extensions?  Why should we ever see the playoffs for another 20 years

Yes. Just keeping up our part of the Broadway Joe bargain.

We'll see the playoffs again, of course, but chiefly because there's plenty of dumbassedness to go around NFL front offices. The Jets aren't unique, even if we do tend to pig out at the dumbass buffet.

4 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Falk was a 2 star recruit that nobody wanted, steps in here and now is a first round qb, maybe but history tells us it's the system.

That's my main complaint with Jackson. He rushed for an incredible 1500 yards last year and started the year rushing for 100 yards. The kid is an all time great college QB, but being a running QB in the NFL with his frame is a recipe for a short career. RG3 was incredible until he took a few NFL hits and then it fell apart.

Let someone else take him, ride the wave of a few good years while we take a pro-typical pocket passer that will be lead this team for 15 years. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Let someone else take him, ride the wave of a few good years while we take a pro-typical pocket passer that will be lead this team for 15 years. 

We drafted two of those in the past 3 years.  Worked out wonders for us.

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So let's go after the next Manziel/tebow/RG3? Worked wonders for those teams....

Well you're the one who wants to pass on Lamar Jackson for another stiff QB or defensive player if we end up with the 10th pick overall or some crappy draft position.  Guess you didn't like Kizer, Mahomes and Watson either.

And comparing Lamar Jackson to Tim Tebow as a passer is laughable.

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That's my main complaint with Jackson. He rushed for an incredible 1500 yards last year and started the year rushing for 100 yards. The kid is an all time great college QB, but being a running QB in the NFL with his frame is a recipe for a short career. RG3 was incredible until he took a few NFL hits and then it fell apart.

First off, RGIII isnt in the league because, by most accounts, he's a selfish, aloof guy who cant command respect in the lockerroom and doesnt put time into the playbook.  He got hurt because he had no sense of when to slide and couldnt protect himself once he left the pocket.

I agree that being a running QB is obviously more dangerous then being a pocket passer, however from what Ive read about Jackson, is that he is much more of a pocket passer then he gets credit for, is constantly working on that part of his game, and just happens to be able to be an excellent runner on top of that.  Will be interesting to watch his development over the course of the season

Just now, Philc1 said:

Well you're the one who wants to pass on Lamar Jackson for another stiff QB or defensive player if we end up with the 10th pick overall or some crappy draft position.  Guess you didn't like Kizer, Mahomes and Watson either.

Relax for a minute and sort through my posts and find the one where I said I wanted a defensive player next year? I was one of the first ones on this board begging the Jets to tank for Darnold or any other POCKET QB. 

As for Mahomes, just because he is black doesn't mean he is anything like Jackson. He is a far better arm and wasn't a running QB in college. Jackson had more yards rushing last year than Mahommes had in 3 years of college football. You clearly know nothing about college football and just ranting for the sake of ranting which is what this forum is slowly turning into because this team will be awful this year. I'll let you have the last word, try not to mess it up like your last few posts. 

6 minutes ago, SpartanJet said:

Need to draft GOOD pocket passers.  Anyone who owned a pair of eyes and had a brain could see Hacknsack sucked balls.

Exactly. Just because Hack may suck doesn't mean Tom Brady isn't any good. But in Philc's world all pocket passers are bad because of Hack. Solid logic. 

6 minutes ago, SpartanJet said:

Need to draft GOOD pocket passers.  Anyone who owned a pair of eyes and had a brain could see Hacknsack sucked balls.

I've been saying for two years Hack sucks.  Yes, a good pocket passer would be nice but passing on Lamar Jackson because he runs too much is just dumb.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Exactly. Just because Hack may suck doesn't mean Tom Brady isn't any good. But in Philc's world all pocket passers are bad because of Hack. Solid logic. 

In your world we should pass on Lamar Jackson because of RG3, a different player on a different team who was never even good to begin with.

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Relax for a minute and sort through my posts and find the one where I said I wanted a defensive player next year? I was one of the first ones on this board begging the Jets to tank for Darnold or any other POCKET QB. 

As for Mahomes, just because he is black doesn't mean he is anything like Jackson. He is a far better arm and wasn't a running QB in college. Jackson had more yards rushing last year than Mahommes had in 3 years of college football. You clearly know nothing about college football and just ranting for the sake of ranting which is what this forum is slowly turning into because this team will be awful this year. I'll let you have the last word, try not to mess it up like your last few posts. 

I don't care what type of QB we get I just want one who isn't mediocre or worse.  There are plenty of great pocket passers as well as great "running qb's"  For every Brady there is a Russell Wilson.  By your logic we would turn down a young Steve Young because he's a running qb and might get hurt.

9 minutes ago, BCJet said:

First off, RGIII isnt in the league because, by most accounts, he's a selfish, aloof guy who cant command respect in the lockerroom and doesnt put time into the playbook.  He got hurt because he had no sense of when to slide and couldnt protect himself once he left the pocket.

I agree that being a running QB is obviously more dangerous then being a pocket passer, however from what Ive read about Jackson, is that he is much more of a pocket passer then he gets credit for, is constantly working on that part of his game, and just happens to be able to be an excellent runner on top of that.  Will be interesting to watch his development over the course of the season

Good for him. But when you rush for 100 yards a game as a QB teams defend you differently so your passing skills look better than they are. Meanwhile, he was still only completing passes at a 56pct clip last year. What happens when he comes to the NFL and he tries to run, with his frail frame and gets hurt and then needs to rely solely on his arm. What have you seen from him to think he has elite passing skills? 

If I am tanking for a QB, I don't want a QB that is "working" his passing. I want a guy that is already an elite passer. Again, if I was building a college football team I would take Jackson #1 in a heartbeat. But the NFL is a different world. Running QBs don't last long and Jackson's best skill, for now, is running. 

7 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Really? Cause when you say things like "trouble with accuracy and zero touch" it makes me think you're either full of sh*t, or you don't know what to look for.

And honestly, it's hard to listen to anyone that thinks any of these guys are as black and white as you're suggesting... to be so absolute, it's not a good look. .....and even now, you're speculating about Falk and the system. I don't think you know a thing about Falk. I think you know who Coach Leach is, you've watched some youtube clips and you're passing judgement over him -- the guy who's nothing more than an air raid QB... like that bum Mahomes who got drafted at the top of 1 last year. If we all listen to you -- Mahomes would have went undrafted. 

51 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Really? Cause when you say things like "trouble with accuracy and zero touch" it makes me think you're either full of sh*t, or you don't know what to look for.

And honestly, it's hard to listen to anyone that thinks any of these guys are as black and white as you're suggesting... to be so absolute, it's not a good look. .....and even now, you're speculating about Falk and the system. I don't think you know a thing about Falk. I think you know who Coach Leach is, you've watched some youtube clips and you're passing judgement over him -- the guy who's nothing more than an air raid QB... like that bum Mahomes who got drafted at the top of 1 last year. If we all listen to you -- Mahomes would have went undrafted. 

Not a good look??!, I'm just stating what I feel about the prospects.

and so far you basically called me a rascist because I couldn't stomach a " mobile" qb

and now you are calling me full of sh$t.

ive seen you do this with other people, but i don't play these game bro.

First time going to have to put someone on ignore.

Hope I can figure out how to do it

Not a good look??!, I'm just stating what I feel about the prospects.
and so far you basically called me a rascist because I couldn't stomach a " mobile" qb
and now you are calling me full of sh$t.
ive seen you do this with other people, but i don't play these game bro.
First time going to have to put someone on ignore.
Hope I can figure out how to do it

Hold on now, I didn't mean to come across suggesting you're those things. Point taken I'm not trying to be that heavy handed, I just really disagree with the reasons we coming to your conclusions. Everyone's entitled to their own perspective and opinion. I don't mean to suggest that you have no right to yours and I'm the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still too early to seriously scratch any QB off the list imo. I'd wait for the later part of the schedule to see what they can do once the early season kinks are worked out and they are playing through conference schedules.

I'm very interested in the USC/UCLA clash at the end of the year to see how Darnold and Rosen compete against each other.

Louisville vs FSU/Clemson should be good games to see how far Jackson has come as a passer since those will likely be the best defenses he plays this year.

Haven't seen much of the other QBs yet. I'll be tuning in to Clemson/Auburn this weekend to check out Stidham

10 hours ago, A.J. said:

Still too early to seriously scratch any QB off the list imo. I'd wait for the later part of the schedule to see what they can do once the early season kinks are worked out and they are playing through conference schedules.

I'm very interested in the USC/UCLA clash at the end of the year to see how Darnold and Rosen compete against each other.

Louisville vs FSU/Clemson should be good games to see how far Jackson has come as a passer since those will likely be the best defenses he plays this year.

Haven't seen much of the other QBs yet. I'll be tuning in to Clemson/Auburn this weekend to check out Stidham

This weekend, USC Plays Stanford . I'm interested .  My Auburn Tigers play Clemson, and I'm interested in Stidham . Oklahoma plays the Ohio State in a revenge game to see if the little big man can make a move up .

My curiosity will take me to Louisville and North Carolina sometimes .  It's going to be a long season, and some fun matchups . I'm interested in seeing these QBs against better competition or even matchups, not playing against weak sisters .

Archived