Scouting the qbs for next year thread

Joe W. Namath

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Nobody knows what he is going to do. We do know if he is going to be picked #1 overall, there will be a lot of people around him urging him to go pro

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He's a southern California kid. Based on his comments about the Jets so far, it's pretty obvious he wants nothing to do with us. 

52 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

no chance he goes in the 1st rd.   there just aren't that many teams looking for QB's and the first 4 are going to be rosen, darnold, rudolph, allen.   Mayfield is Kirk cousins in the luck/rg3 draft.   

Even though its just opinion I disagree. Mayfield went into the 'Shoe and beat Ohio State. 29-1 in home openers and he led them to victory. He is poised tough and showed leadership. Everything needed to succeed in NY. Baker Mayfield is in the conversation and should be included in any scenario in the coming draft. Its early in the season and anything can happen but I like what I see so far in Mayfield and would not be unhappy if he wound up on this team as long as he continues his high level of play.

1 hour ago, Stark said:

He is that.  

I have both both games on, OU v Ohio St.  and Stanford v USC.  

Mayfield is killing it.  OU could be up more too if they didn't have those 2 turnovers. 

He had some drops too. One that might have gone for another TD. I was going back and forth between both games and liked what I saw from both guys. I give Mayfield a slight edge due to playing a great game on the road and playing the way he did.

3 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Rudolph reminds me of Big Ben without the proclivity for sexual assault. 

Rudolph plays in the biggest gimmick system in college history, and is terrible under pressure, like really bad if he is under pressure all night, and he also has the best group of WR's in college football I've seen in a long time, but as a college QB when given clean pocket he is really good, and under the right situation I can see him develop into a real good NFL QB, kinda like the Garrappollo, and Hundley situations.

51 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

college

Key word, he will have a difficult transition to the pro game IMO, but I went from calling him a never will be NFL QB to a guy if put in the right situation like Jimmy G, and B Hundley can be a real player 2-3 years after being drafted.

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Key word, he will have a difficult transition to the pro game IMO, but I went from calling him a never will be NFL QB to a guy if put in the right situation like Jimmy G, and B Hundley can be a real player 2-3 years after being drafted.

???

Every QB we're talking about is in college. There's no need to emphasize what is pretty much across the board the standard. It's not like im comparing Mayfield to someone already in the league. 

I know I always bring up whether the QB is in a gimmick offense or not
but if you think about all that a pro QB must do every 40 seconds (play
clock) you see why it's important:

- Get the play from the sideline
- Go through his "mental rolodex" to remember what his responsibilities are
on the play
- Make sure he has the correct personnel on the field
- Call the play in the huddle
- As he approaches the line, make sure everyone is lined up properly
- At the line, determine what the defense is doing pre-snap.  Protections
may have to be changed or he may have to audible to another play
- Take the snap
- If it's a running play he finds the RB, hands it off and he's done
- If it's a pass play he has to read the defense post-snap and determine
where to go with the ball

Once the play is over he has to do it all over again

1 hour ago, KRL said:

on the play
- Take the snap

It's called repetition, there is a scientific study about can you train someone into an athlete who isn't blessed with natural abilities with repetition, and hard core training.  The study concluded that yes if the person is committed to put in all the hard work necessary he can eventually become a elite athletic person, the study concluded that the difference between gifted athletes, and self made athletes is that gifted athletes who train pick up the necessary athletic motions, training at a much more accelerated pace it might take say an elite athleten to learn/train his body new footwork in a matter of days while the non athlete can also learn/train his, or her body the new footwork, but depending on how in athletic they are it could take 10x more time, training, hard committed work, but if they do they will also be proficient in the new footwork just didn't pick it up easily like the athlete did.

Now I right that nonsense paragraph because I believe the same holds true for learning the QB position in the NFL, there are a small handful of guys who just have "IT" and pick this stuff you listed up very quickly, while there are others that are so gifted they can succeed without figuring those things out (very very few guys in history but there were a few), and then there is the group that works its ass off to try, and become something special, and takes a little to a lot more time to get there for example Kurt Warner, he needed to learn, and work his ass off to get where he did that was not pure gifted ability, most of it was learned/training for a lot more time then say a guy like Luck needed to adjust to the NFL he is of the few elite talents that can soak it up so much faster then most.  This to me is part of having the "IT" factor, and the Jets job is to scout these guys, and hopefully separate the guys who have "IT" from the guys who need 2-3 years because they need some one to step in next season as the unquestioned franchise guy, and I do believe there is at least 2 of them that are special have "IT" and will pick it up to come in year one, and look the part of a future franchise QB even if the first year is a losing season.

Just my .02 about this situation you brought up if thou you didn't ask lol.

2 hours ago, KRL said:

on the play
- Take the snap

The problem is that is 90% of college football now, so pretty soon that can no longer be a minus for QB evaluation, it will just have to be a plus for those who do play in a real pro system.  

He's a southern California kid. Based on his comments about the Jets so far, it's pretty obvious he wants nothing to do with us. 

What specific comments were those? I heard him on a recent podcast and he gave the strong impression he would not manipulate the draft. I've never heard him say he would not want to play for the Jets. On the podcast he came across as very humble , and was more flattered than anything at the attention from the Jet fans.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Rudolph plays in the biggest gimmick system in college history, and is terrible under pressure, like really bad if he is under pressure all night, and he also has the best group of WR's in college football I've seen in a long time, but as a college QB when given clean pocket he is really good, and under the right situation I can see him develop into a real good NFL QB, kinda like the Garrappollo, and Hundley situations.

No he doesn't. His O actually runs a lot of pro passing concepts, in particular how they take shots vertically.

11 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Watching Rosen earlier was a THING OF BEAUTY. 

HAWAII

11 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Darold looks solid but I'd take Rosen at this point b/t the two. 

Would Mayfield last until the late first/early 2nd round in anyone's opinion?

STANFORD

Mayfield and Jackson, once again with the most impressive performances, IMO.

I really think they are the classic college QB's: Charlie Ward, Vince Young, Tim Tebow types...but man, you can't deny that Mayfield makes plays with his arm all over the field.  And he finally did it vs. a real D.  And he was getting crushed the 1st half too but he stood in there took his beating and delivered.   You just have to be impressed by both at this point. @Villain The Foe, I'm not there yet but I'm warming up to the idea. 

Mr. Wind-up continues to throw picks and Mr. Ego played Hawaii.  Pretty much whatever performances from them...the rest of these guys, Rudolf, Allen, Stidham - blah.  Whatever prospects.

Very early, but its Darnold or Rosen and I give Rosen the lead because he's got much better mechanics and takes care of the ball and doesn't look like it hurts when he throws the Football. 

Rosen, Darnold, Jackson... then everybody else. 

Those 3 names are the only ones that should matter to the Jets Fans. We're not drafting in the middle of rnd 1 -- we'll never need to decide between Mayfield, Allen, Falk etc

Rosen was perfect 

Darnold was very good

Jackson continues to show elite ability

22 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

You want a cookie, Gil Brandt, for your astute observation on the quality of opponent? :rolleyes:

Apparently I deserve one with the morons here blowing Rosen, who just played a team that should be Division 2 while tgey deride Sam Darnold, who apparently "struggled"(!?) somenhow while playing against a Top 15 team with an Excellent Defense.

21/26 350 4TD 2 Picks. 42 points on Stanford. 

Lets see how Rosen does agains a team that's actually playing NCAA level defense before we put him on a pedestal. 

7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I think he's the best QB in college, and I think by the end of this season many will agree. 

No doubt, Mayfield is in the conversation now, that was a strong performance, under pressure, and he improved as the game went on, makes for some very good QB options for the Jets in the 2018 NFL draft

Tough loss for the Buckeyes, Mayfield drove his team, similar to the Rosen comeback - some great college football games so far and many more to come, they continue to gain ground on the millionaires club

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Mayfield and Jackson, once again with the most impressive performances, IMO.

I really think they are the classic college QB's: Charlie Ward, Vince Young, Tim Tebow types...but man, you can't deny that Mayfield makes plays with his arm all over the field.  And he finally did it vs. a real D.  And he was getting crushed the 1st half too but he stood in there took his beating and delivered.   You just have to be impressed by both at this point. @Villain The Foe, I'm not there yet but I'm warming up to the idea. 

Mr. Wind-up continues to throw picks and Mr. Ego played Hawaii.  Pretty much whatever performances from them...the rest of these guys, Rudolf, Allen, Stidham - blah.  Whatever prospects.

Very early, but its Darnold or Rosen and I give Rosen the lead because he's got much better mechanics and takes care of the ball and doesn't look like it hurts when he throws the Football. 

Thanks. I was having a few conversations and people thought that Mayfield and OU was going to get crushed by OH. It was a good game that Mayfield played as well as responding to adversity early on. 

I really like that kid. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not letting this thread go into that good night.

Darnold vs Cal on ABC7.

Rosen in prime time tonight versus Stanford.  

This is a big week for us fellas.  Sam's got a big game and Rosen is going against a team that has a legit secondary that USC already played.  If he tops Darnold's performance with that UCLA team, his stock might skyrocket.  

IT'S COMPARISON WEEK.

Archived