Scouting the qbs for next year thread

Joe W. Namath

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darnold looks lost out there. The pick and the fumble are bad enough, but his sullen 'deer in the headlights' look on the sideline doesn't exactly scream leadership material either. Darnold has the physical tools, but mentally he isn't ready to take over a game like this. His lack of starts is showing. 

He has a big decision to make. He probably should stay another year, but I'm not sure that coaching ticket in USC is the one to show-case what he can do. If he comes out, on the right team and with the right coaching, he has enough raw materials to succeed in the NFL, but as things stand he would be a reach if selected in the top 10-15 in next year's draft.

48 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I don't even watch USC anymore. I have seen all I need to know that Darnold needs to stay in school for at least another year. It is to his benefit to do so. I hope he does if he wants an NFL career.

That logic is the equivalent of Marty Mornhinweg taking the wind instead of the ball in OT.

If Darnold wants an NFL career and is projected to go 1st round, he should take it and not look back.

The 1st round is the 1st round. Staying in school is for increasing your chances of getting drafted or boosting your draft value. Otherwise, you're just risking both your health and NFL career for what? 

An NFL career. Well, Mornhinweg wanted to first get the wind right and the ball later ...

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

2 rush TDs too.  If Lamb doesn't let the KState DB strip him mid air he has 3 Passing TDs with no INTs too.  That would be 5 total TDs.  

I see so much Russell Wilson.

Russell is exactly who Baker has reminded me of when I watched him play.  

39 minutes ago, jetrider said:

That logic is the equivalent of Marty Mornhinweg taking the wind instead of the ball in OT.

If Darnold wants an NFL career and is projected to go 1st round, he should take it and not look back.

The 1st round is the 1st round. Staying in school is for increasing your chances of getting drafted or boosting your draft value. Otherwise, you're just risking both your health and NFL career for what? 

An NFL career. Well, Mornhinweg wanted to first get the wind right and the ball later ...

Yeah so whats worse? Staying in school and having a better year and being the best QB in a weak class in 2019 or coming out after a suspect year in a QB heavy draft?

When Mornhinweg was coach of the Lions he had a chance to tie Green Bay in Green Bay with a field goal and he went for the TD and lost the game. The man has a history of making bad choices so I guess your analogy is as screwed as your logic.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Turned off the USC game... Darnold's season has been an absolute nightmare.  He's either not coming out (what he should do), or will be way to risky for me to want at this point.

What a brutal pick.

Problem with staying at USC is that offense will set him back another year, they are doing him dirty with the change they made this season, they should have let him ride out last years offense into the NFL and changed it with the next QB.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

Problem with staying at USC is that offense will set him back another year, they are doing him dirty with the change they made this season, they should have let him ride out last years offense into the NFL and changed it with the next QB.

I agree.  They have done him a disservice and, unfortunately, he's going to pay the price for it. 

At the end of the day, what's done is done.  I just don't know what he is at this point.  The pick I left at was just so brutal and I see a kid who is just totally lost right now.

53 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Yeah so whats worse? Staying in school and having a better year and being the best QB in a weak class in 2019 or coming out after a suspect year in a QB heavy draft?

When Mornhinweg was coach of the Lions he had a chance to tie Green Bay in Green Bay with a field goal and he went for the TD and lost the game. The man has a history of making bad choices so I guess your analogy is as screwed as your logic.

Huh? You can't go any higher than the 1st round. If he's projected to go 1st round then college served its purpose. Why prolong college and risk his health and career ... to be the best of '19? LMAO!

What kind of screwy logic is that, JetFanMornhinweg? What if he blows out a knee or shoulder next year at USC?

17 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I agree.  They have done him a disservice and, unfortunately, he's going to pay the price for it. 

At the end of the day, what's done is done.  I just don't know what he is at this point.  The pick I left at was just so brutal and I see a kid who is just totally lost right now.

He (himself) wasn't lost at all. He was set to go on an epic comeback but the defense kept giving up 7s.

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Turned off the USC game... Darnold's season has been an absolute nightmare.  He's either not coming out (what he should do), or will be way to risky for me to want at this point.

What a brutal pick.

Can we start rooting for the Jets again if we don't have to suck for sammy anymore?

1 hour ago, K_O_Brien said:

Darnold looks lost out there. The pick and the fumble are bad enough, but his sullen 'deer in the headlights' look on the sideline doesn't exactly scream leadership material either. Darnold has the physical tools, but mentally he isn't ready to take over a game like this. His lack of starts is showing. 

He has a big decision to make. He probably should stay another year, but I'm not sure that coaching ticket in USC is the one to show-case what he can do. If he comes out, on the right team and with the right coaching, he has enough raw materials to succeed in the NFL, but as things stand he would be a reach if selected in the top 10-15 in next year's draft.

That is quite the drop for Darnold. That is pretty crazy.

53 minutes ago, Larz said:

Eli threw 3 picks the game Accorsi scouted then wrote "if he comes out early, trade up to get him"

I'm not saying we trade up for Darnold or anyone, just that NFL scouts can live with picks if everything else is there

Is that true? Pretty cool.

12 minutes ago, Better2bgreenthanblue said:

Very impressive ND Oline. They manhandled USC. Have they looked that elite versus other ranked teams? I thought the left side looked amazing.

We need 1 of them if we go free agent QB. 

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Is that true? Pretty cool.

The whole report is online. Great insight into what they actually look for. He also added "he has a lot to learn" 

We forget these college kids are not finished products 

I never like to see INTs, but in the context of that game, I'm not going to kill Darnold for the double coverage pick. It was a force, but USC was getting walloped early and he needed to make a play. 

I'm starting to get more comfortable with Mayfield in round 1. BTW, Draft Breakdown has been dropping the ball a little bit this year with the volume of tape they are putting out. Not nearly as much content as years past. 

SO, that is the third game of Darnold's that I have seen.

PLEASE tell me what I am missing here, because I do not see this guy worthy of a 1st overall pick.  He looks more Paxton Lynch than Carseon Wentz to me.

Luke Falk is growing INCREASINGLY interesting to me as a prospect.  And that Mayfield kid just wins.

2 hours ago, Better2bgreenthanblue said:

Very impressive ND Oline. They manhandled USC. Have they looked that elite versus other ranked teams? I thought the left side looked amazing.

No.  They did not look good in the loss to Georgia.  Really struggled with our speed off the edges.  They could not get anything going against us on the ground (I think they had about 60 yards rushing in the game) and had trouble protecting Wimbush.  Even Mcglinchey struggled in that game.

They are playing much better now.

10 hours ago, jetrider said:

Huh? You can't go any higher than the 1st round. If he's projected to go 1st round then college served its purpose. Why prolong college and risk his health and career ... to be the best of '19? LMAO!

What kind of screwy logic is that, JetFanMornhinweg? What if he blows out a knee or shoulder next year at USC?

You must be dense. Since he is not ready to come out and all signs point to this I doubt he does. The reasoning I gave was based on him staying in. Which he most likely will if he is smart. He can just as easily get injured no matter where he plays and right now looks like the second coming of Rick Mirer. The guy can't handle the scrutiny on the college level now how can he handle it on the NFL stage? Just because you have a hard-on for Darnold ain't gonna make him ready to play in the NFL. Its easy to be swayed by the guys talent level but if the head ain't right or mature enough to handle the pressure of the NFL talent won't matter. Got it JetriderMirer?

2 hours ago, Larz said:

The whole report is online. Great insight into what they actually look for. He also added "he has a lot to learn" 

We forget these college kids are not finished products 

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. The team that picks Darnold(especially if its the Jets) has to understand that. They most likely won't though and he will get thrown to the wolves. From what I have seen so far is that Darnold is simply not ready for that kind of scrutiny. How is going to handle the pressure here in NY if he can't handle it at USC? If the Jets draft Darnold AND sign a FA QB(NOT MCCOWN) I would be okay with that but expecting a kid like him to start immediately could be a disaster for him and the team that picks him. Darnold has a ton of talent. Its easy to see. He is an unfinished product though and needs to play more at the collegiate level. We forget he is what? 22? He is still a baby. Stay in school kid and everyone will benefit.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

SO, that is the third game of Darnold's that I have seen.

PLEASE tell me what I am missing here, because I do not see this guy worthy of a 1st overall pick.  He looks more Paxton Lynch than Carseon Wentz to me.

Luke Falk is growing INCREASINGLY interesting to me as a prospect.  And that Mayfield kid just wins.

I was skeptical about Mayfield, but he's grown on me. The kid's a gamer.

38 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I was skeptical about Mayfield, but he's grown on me. The kid's a gamer.

Mayfield would be an excellent fit in our offense and frankly I think his character fit would also fit in with guys like adams and May who simply love football.

His height should not be a big issue, as long as he measures over 6 feet and morton has extensive experience with a QB that size in Brees.

Would love to see Mac grab mayfield

Archived