Scouting the qbs for next year thread

Joe W. Namath

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

You must be dense. Since he is not ready to come out and all signs point to this I doubt he does. The reasoning I gave was based on him staying in. Which he most likely will if he is smart. He can just as easily get injured no matter where he plays and right now looks like the second coming of Rick Mirer. The guy can't handle the scrutiny on the college level now how can he handle it on the NFL stage? Just because you have a hard-on for Darnold ain't gonna make him ready to play in the NFL. Its easy to be swayed by the guys talent level but if the head ain't right or mature enough to handle the pressure of the NFL talent won't matter. Got it JetriderMirer?

That's why you enter the pros asap. Would you rather get injured your senior year in college or after signing a 1st round NFL contract?

Think harder. These are tough mental gymnastics for you. 

He is nothing like Mirer. And where did you get he can't handle scrutiny or isn't mature enough? The JN draft forum? Whoever started that nonsense is a buffoon. 

Darnold got his ankle rolled twice last night trying to rescue a decimated team that didn't show up and he still wanted to play. He needs to get the hell out of USC asap.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Better2bgreenthanblue said:

Very impressive ND Oline. They manhandled USC. Have they looked that elite versus other ranked teams? I thought the left side looked amazing.

UGA stuffed them pretty good.  Other than that, they've been dropping almost 400 rushing yards on everyone.

boy has this "Class of all Classes" moniker fallen by the wayside. Sam's become increasingly hard to trust quarter to quarter, Rosen looks like he can do it all, but needs to be programmed with weekly, Allen just can't put anything together, Jackson's passing development has waned, Luke implodes at random times, etc etc... Mayfield's the only one I don't have complete sense of yet.

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. The team that picks Darnold(especially if its the Jets) has to understand that. They most likely won't though and he will get thrown to the wolves. From what I have seen so far is that Darnold is simply not ready for that kind of scrutiny. How is going to handle the pressure here in NY if he can't handle it at USC? If the Jets draft Darnold AND sign a FA QB(NOT MCCOWN) I would be okay with that but expecting a kid like him to start immediately could be a disaster for him and the team that picks him. Darnold has a ton of talent. Its easy to see. He is an unfinished product though and needs to play more at the collegiate level. We forget he is what? 22? He is still a baby. Stay in school kid and everyone will benefit.

So are you saying if we draft him he would need a redshirt year?  This board would implode if that happened!  Oh by the way, Hackenberg is also 22.

21 minutes ago, Paradis said:

boy has this "Class of all Classes" moniker fallen by the wayside. Sam's become increasingly hard to trust quarter to quarter, Rosen looks like he can do it all, but needs to be programmed with weekly, Allen just can't put anything together, Jackson's passing development has waned, Luke implodes at random times, etc etc... Mayfield's the only one I don't have complete sense of yet.

Of course this all sets up for an overrated QB to fall to us in the first, with the pressure to pick one. We do. And ends up looking like crap. Either that or we'll end up with a Kyle Wilson type pick. 

1 hour ago, jetrider said:

That's why you enter the pros asap. Would you rather get injured your senior year in college or after signing a 1st round NFL contract?

Think harder. These are tough mental gymnastics for you. 

He is nothing like Mirer. And where did you get he can't handle scrutiny or isn't mature enough? The JN draft forum? Whoever started that nonsense is a buffoon. 

Darnold got his ankle rolled twice last night trying to rescue a decimated team that didn't show up and he still wanted to play. He needs to get the hell out of USC asap.

Easy JetRiderMirer. Your boy cracked in how many early season games so far? Its easy to blame the rest of the team when you have a hard-on for the QB. Did his little ankle get hurt? Bullspit. Elite QB's win. Suspect QB's make excuses and have excuses made for them. Keep going though you will be making excuses for this guy all season.

10 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Easy JetRiderMirer. Your boy cracked in how many early season games so far? Its easy to blame the rest of the team when you have a hard-on for the QB. Did his little ankle get hurt? Bullspit. Elite QB's win. Suspect QB's make excuses and have excuses made for them. Keep going though you will be making excuses for this guy all season.

You obviously don't watch the games. That was USC's second loss. The first loss was by 3 points.

12 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Told ya. Stopped watching after the 1st 2. The guy has a ton of talent but is simply not ready. If you were capable of being objective you would see that.

You continue to miss and be wrong on all points. I have no favorite college team and no other reason to root for him. I don't care if he's from CA or anywhere else.

I don't care what others think. I go strictly by performance and personal interviews. That's as objective as it gets.

Your entire argument as you submit is based on snap judgment, random gut, and incomplete shoddy homework. Ignorance.

There are other QBs in the draft I might like, I'm just not there yet. But Darnold doesn't need a senior year. 

My point about his ankle (which flew over your head) was that he's risking his health for USC when he's already NFL bound. 

4 hours ago, jetrider said:

You continue to miss and be wrong on all points. I have no favorite college team and no other reason to root for him. I don't care if he's from CA or anywhere else.

I don't care what others think. I go strictly by performance and personal interviews. That's as objective as it gets.

Your entire argument as you submit is based on snap judgment, random gut, and incomplete shoddy homework. Ignorance.

There are other QBs in the draft I might like, I'm just not there yet. But Darnold doesn't need a senior year. 

My point about his ankle (which flew over your head) was that he's risking his health for USC when he's already NFL bound. 

Darnold is the only QB I'm interested in but I have to admit I don't watch too much college football.  Things never work out for us though so I expect he'll be in Cleveland or SF next year.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-lamar-jackson-first-qb-off-the-board-in-a-bonkers-first-round/

11. New York Jets 

Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma. In this mock, I'm assuming Mayfield continues his torrid pace and ends the season on a high note, even if it's not winning the national title. While the Jets have gotten admirable play from Josh McCown so far in 2017, they're decidedly in the market for a franchise quarterback. This move would be met with some criticism, but Mayfield's confidence and play-making skills make him an ideal fit for the New York City market.  

2 hours ago, Drums said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-lamar-jackson-first-qb-off-the-board-in-a-bonkers-first-round/

11. New York Jets 

Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma. In this mock, I'm assuming Mayfield continues his torrid pace and ends the season on a high note, even if it's not winning the national title. While the Jets have gotten admirable play from Josh McCown so far in 2017, they're decidedly in the market for a franchise quarterback. This move would be met with some criticism, but Mayfield's confidence and play-making skills make him an ideal fit for the New York City market.  

I've warmed up to Baker in recent weeks, sort of an addition by subtraction given the other QBs play in recent weeks -- it's kind of an interesting fit. High risk, high reward. 

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I've warmed up to Baker in recent weeks, sort of an addition by subtraction given the other QBs play in recent weeks -- it's kind of an interesting fit. High risk, high reward. 

Now that Baker is the new "option" for jets, hope he doesn't throw a stinker.  I was warming up to Falk and the he had the Cal game.

Just saw this interesting tidbit on Mayfield.  His stats are better than Sam Bradford during same number of games.  In all stats, except for 3 inches in height...

Darnold and Rosen's play this season has made them tradable picks. These guys aren't Luck. They're going to be seen as Goff and Wentz were, good prospects but not solid #1/#2 picks with a higher chance of bust.

Any team a top 10 pick, I think will be able to trade up with Cleveland/SF.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

A guy to keep an eye on who may start getting more draft consideration is Riley Ferguson from Memphis.  Watched some highlights of him recently and he looked pretty impressive.

Riley Ferguson is Paxton Lynch 2.0 and not just because they both played at Memphis.

18 hours ago, Drums said:

11. New York Jets 

This might be the dumbest mock I have ever seen. There isn't a chance in the world that Lamar Jackson goes anywhere near the top 10 much less being the first QB off the board.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Walterfootball has them taking Thorson from Northwestern

Bleacher has them taking COnor Williams OT from Texas

Williams had surgery on his knee in Sept, wouldn't surprise me if he went back to school for another year. An OT wouldn't be a horrible pick.

11 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Riley Ferguson is Paxton Lynch 2.0 and not just because they both played at Memphis.

If I remember correctly Lynch shot up the draft boards pre combine and was a hot topic here. I see Ferguson as a much better Pro style QB than Lynch was.

4 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Jets record.  Teams are not going to be scared off by his height like in the past.  

Yes teams will always be concerned with drafting a short QB. It doesn't mean he can't be picked in the first round but Mayfields height is a definite factor against him.

Archived