Kerley SIGNS with Jets

JetsFanatic

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Rangers9 said:

Smart move to sign him. It gives us then two experienced receivers. And Kerley proved last year that he can take a bigger load and be successful. But money is a key factor. 

I actually liked Kerley when he was here, and I doubt he'll cost very much when being a free agent at this point in the year, but I actually wouldn't like the move.

I certainly get the idea of him theoretically helping with a lack of experience at the position, but given the team's current situation, I would really rather not see the young kids pushed too far down the depth chart.  While Anderson will obviously get plenty of time, Kearse will be the other starter very soon, if not immediately, so Kerley pushes the likes of Stewart and Hansen further down, which is far from ideal.  If they hadn't brought in Kearse, I would likely feel differently.

JK can still return punts, right? Honestly I'd rather have him around than whatever other schmuck we've got doing that now. He can at least contribute in the passing game and should be a better fit on this offense than Chan's. I'll be happy to have him back for however long. (a month, a season, etc)

Hahahahahhahahhahaaa.a... perfect for the SOJ Fans that want the team to be better, but don't ever want any player they get used to to be moved.

Guy couldn't make the Niners, one of the few teams that will challenge us for lining the bottom of the barrel.

IMG_0729-1.jpg

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily news is reporting that wide receiver Jeremy Kerley may be joining linebacker Demario Davis as another former Jet taking just a short hiatus from Florham Park.

Kerley spent his first five pro seasons with the Jets before being phased out of the team’s offense in 2015 and moving on to the San Francisco 49ers where he was the team’s leading receiver with 64 receptions for 667 yards and 3 touchdowns.

The sure handed receiver would be a welcome addition to an offense that is severely lacking play makers on offense.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
D7wJpYuRtvU

Click here to read the full story...

22 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I actually liked Kerley when he was here, and I doubt he'll cost very much when being a free agent at this point in the year, but I actually wouldn't like the move.

I certainly get the idea of him theoretically helping with a lack of experience at the position, but given the team's current situation, I would really rather not see the young kids pushed too far down the depth chart.  While Anderson will obviously get plenty of time, Kearse will be the other starter very soon, if not immediately, so Kerley pushes the likes of Stewart and Hansen further down, which is far from ideal.  If they hadn't brought in Kearse, I would likely feel differently.

+1

I don't see anyone being a bank-breaker when the freaking 49ers can't justify keeping him on their roster, despite signing him to an extension just this offseason, and his salary of $1.15m being fully guaranteed. So he literally just didn't make the team.

The thing is, while there's value in not having the likes of Robbie Anderson as one of the most experienced veterans on the roster, they have so many young receivers - including 2 they just drafted - that it may create a numbers problem unless they're willing to carry more WRs just to carry them.

Also, as you allude to, even with more potential/ability, these younger kids are simply not going to be as polished (or as good) as Kerley right now, and quite possibly/likely not all season long. So Bowles understandably doesn't want to spend his on-thin-ice coaching season just getting in lumps and snaps for rookies who may never pan out anyway. On the field, until/unless one of them gets injured, the starting WRs this year will be Kearse and Anderson, with Kerley in the slot. The rookies will only see action in 4-5 WR sets or on specials all season long (and in practice will only line up against our dime-package/backup DBs).

On the other hand, if we're to get a second real evaluation of Petty, there have to be receivers who know what they're doing and can catch a football without dropping easy passes or running the wrong way to turn a would-be completion or TD into a pick. Kerley gets open on underneath routes and can hang onto the ball, even if he's smaller, slower, and just in general is the opposite of a dynamic/exciting receiver. Plus even though he's equally (if not more) boring as a returner, he can at least fair catch punts without worry about him coughing it up. 

31 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Smart move to sign him. It gives us then two experienced receivers. And Kerley proved last year that he can take a bigger load and be successful. But money is a key factor. 

What money he resigned with niners for chump change 3 years 10 mill .. nobody think the kid is anything special there won't be bidding war for him . 

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

He should go to New England. On New England, he would be Julian Edelman. If Edelman were a Jet, he'd be Jeremy Kerley.

Lol why would BB want with a slow and short Reciever who can't get good separation ? Edelman and Kerley are not the same reciever at all

Also this is just weird because it took injuries to both Marshall and Decker for Bowles to let Kerley onto the field on offense. I can understand forcefeeding a high pick rookie like Devin Smith out there ahead of him, but he was also buried all behind the likes of butterfingers Jalin Marshall, Kenbrell Thompkins, and IIRC Chris Owusu as well until he concussed himself into getting waived midseason. Then they just cut Kerley after the season. 

There seemed to be something else - something not good - going on between Bowles & Kerley. I guess beggars can't be choosers -- for both Kerley and for the team. 

6 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Lol what BB want with a slow and short Reciever who can't get good separation ? Edelman and Kerley are not the same reciever at all

Yes, they are different receivers because of dramatically different opportunities. Athletically, they are eerily similar. Short (Edelman 5'10''/Kerley 5'9''), slow linearly (4.57/4.62) but elite agility (99th percentile/96th). In fact, those advanced stat guys identify Welker as the most accurate Kerley comp. 

Just now, jgb said:

Yes, they are different receives because of dramatically different opportunities. Athletically, they are eerily similar. Short (Edelman 5'10''/Kerley 5'9''), slow linearly (4.57/4.62) but elite agility (99th percentile/96th). In fact, those advanced stat guys identify Welker as the most accurate Kerley comp. 

And your eyes tells you he is Wes Welker and Edelman ?  Have you forgot how fast kerley would disappear in games where he was called on to be the man due to other guys being hurt . How he couldn't get open and struggled with press and man coverage ? 

At this point only good thing about this signing would be it adds another Vet . At posistion 

7 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

And your eyes tells you he is Wes Welker and Edelman ?  Have you forgot how fast kerley would disappear in games where he was called on to be the man due to other guys being hurt . How he couldn't get open and struggled with press and man coverage ? 

At this point only good thing about this signing would be it adds another Vet . At posistion 

My eyes tell me that if you take two guys with similar athletic profiles they will look like different players if they are receiving passes from Tom Brady or Geno Smith. So yes, based on the physical attributes that are very close, I'd say they are much closer than a simple stat sheet tells us.

Edit: Just looked up the stats. Kerely on the moribund Jets outperformed the Miami Dolphins' version of Wes Welker in catches, yardage, and TDs and was basically tied at YPC. Even Wes Welker wasn't Wes Welker until he was catching passes from Tom Brady.

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

+1

I don't see anyone being a bank-breaker when the freaking 49ers can't justify keeping him on their roster, despite signing him to an extension just this offseason, and his salary of $1.15m being fully guaranteed. So he literally just didn't make the team.

The thing is, while there's value in not having the likes of Robbie Anderson as one of the most experienced veterans on the roster, they have so many young receivers - including 2 they just drafted - that it may create a numbers problem unless they're willing to carry more WRs just to carry them.

Also, as you allude to, even with more potential/ability, these younger kids are simply not going to be as polished (or as good) as Kerley right now, and quite possibly/likely not all season long. So Bowles understandably doesn't want to spend his on-thin-ice coaching season just getting in lumps and snaps for rookies who may never pan out anyway. On the field, until/unless one of them gets injured, the starting WRs this year will be Kearse and Anderson, with Kerley in the slot. The rookies will only see action in 4-5 WR sets or on specials all season long (and in practice will only line up against our dime-package/backup DBs).

On the other hand, if we're to get a second real evaluation of Petty, there have to be receivers who know what they're doing and can catch a football without dropping easy passes or running the wrong way to turn a would-be completion or TD into a pick. Kerley gets open on underneath routes and can hang onto the ball, even if he's smaller, slower, and just in general is the opposite of a dynamic/exciting receiver. Plus even though he's equally (if not more) boring as a returner, he can at least fair catch punts without worry about him coughing it up. 

This is knuckleheadness.  How does signing someone like Kerley help this team in the long-term?  To give McCown a veteran to throw to so he can beat the Bills 2x?

The Jets cannot field a team of people off the street.  They need to field a team of professional players, and the players need to try and win.  But we don't need to spend salary cap money on someone WHO WILL NOT BE HERE NEXT YEAR.  At least let McCown develop some young receivers as they try to win.

This tells me that the Jets are not as full in on the tank as the Bills are.  There is no way the Bills would sign this guy now.  The Bills signed Boldin, and they probably threatened to cut him.

Kearse and Kerley stealing game reps from ANY of our young receivers is a bad idea.  If they needed a "professional" WR on the roster, they should have kept Decker. If they want to develop the young WR's  on the roster - the more they play in games, the more they can be assessed and learn.  Watching McCown throw to Kearse and Kerley will be a vomit inducing nightmare. 

54 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

And the fact that he's just another player that they let walk a year ago only to be brought back the following year shows the complete lack of direction on both sides of the nall but otherwise this sums up my feelings as well. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

And the fact that he's just another player that they let walk a year ago only to be brought back the following year shows the complete lack of direction on both sides of the nall but otherwise this sums up my feelings as well. 

They changed the offense, JK wasn't getting used by Chan so they let him go. That might be a different case with Morton. Its not as if there were no changes to the team since he last left.

And besides, I'm still pretty sure he'll just be here to return punts for a month or so.

1 minute ago, Tony MaC said:

They changed the offense, JK wasn't getting used by Chan so they let him go. That might be a different case with Morton. Its not as if there were no changes to the team since he last left.

And besides, I'm still pretty sure he'll just be here to return punts for a month or so.

until marshall returns.  but can't they teach someone else to fair catch?

Archived