Kerley SIGNS with Jets

JetsFanatic

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JiF said:

haha

This team makes no sense.  They literally have no clue what they're doing.  

That said, glad to have Kerley back. I've always been a fan.  He should have never left in the first place.

Go with the flow makes you wonder clearing house of certain veterans but signing other veterans, GM is clueless here. 

4 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

JK can still return punts, right? Honestly I'd rather have him around than whatever other schmuck we've got doing that now. He can at least contribute in the passing game and should be a better fit on this offense than Chan's. I'll be happy to have him back for however long. (a month, a season, etc)

Did Mr faircatch actually ever return a punt for us.  I think his right hand is stuck up in the wave formation.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Also this is just weird because it took injuries to both Marshall and Decker for Bowles to let Kerley onto the field on offense. I can understand forcefeeding a high pick rookie like Devin Smith out there ahead of him, but he was also buried all behind the likes of butterfingers Jalin Marshall, Kenbrell Thompkins, and IIRC Chris Owusu as well until he concussed himself into getting waived midseason. Then they just cut Kerley after the season. 

There seemed to be something else - something not good - going on between Bowles & Kerley. I guess beggars can't be choosers -- for both Kerley and for the team. 

This is most definitely weird, but I think you're giving way too much credit to the level of involvement Todd Bowles had on the offensive side of the ball.

Chan Gailey was calling all the shots re: offensive personnel and he's had a vendetta against short receivers for just about forever. Maybe Kerley was a slug when he was here - I don't know - but I think he was in Chan's dog house because of his lack of size more than anything.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Did Mr faircatch actually ever return a punt for us.  I think his right hand is stuck up in the wave formation.

I think punt returns are overrated.  Do you have a 150 pound guy try and return punts?  Doesn't that end up with alot of fumbles?  Isn't that what happened with Jalen Saunders?

If he squeezes through, great.  If he gets hit, fumble.

4 hours ago, JetNation said:

IMG_0729-1.jpg

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily news is reporting that wide receiver Jeremy Kerley may be joining linebacker Demario Davis as another former Jet taking just a short hiatus from Florham Park.

Kerley spent his first five pro seasons with the Jets before being phased out of the team’s offense in 2015 and moving on to the San Francisco 49ers where he was the team’s leading receiver with 64 receptions for 667 yards and 3 touchdowns.

The sure handed receiver would be a welcome addition to an offense that is severely lacking play makers on offense.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

D7wJpYuRtvU

Click here to read the full story...

Kerley instantly becomes the best QB on the team!

Another thing about Kerley is he's a reliable punt returner. He doesn't drop high kicks or turn the ball over. You are not going to get a deep return with him but you'll get the league average and no turnovers. As for saying he's a jag or mediocre player. Rosters are built on guys who can fill a role and aren't stars. That's really what NEP is about. They cut guys like Ealy not because they don't have talent but because they don't fit in and play a role that fits their scheme. 

12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Another thing about Kerley is he's a reliable punt returner. He doesn't drop high kicks or turn the ball over. You are not going to get a deep return with him but you'll get the league average and no turnovers. As for saying he's a jag or mediocre player. Rosters are built on guys who can fill a role and aren't stars. That's really what NEP is about. They cut guys like Ealy not because they don't have talent bug because they don't fit in and play a role that fits their scheme. 

Worst punt returner you can imagine.  He sucks horribly at that job.

The Jets clearly have not given up on the season if they are making moves like this. I think Bowles and Mac are trying to beat expectations, honestly more then 6 wins make Bowles look like an amazing coach and Mac would look like he secured the future. This season has never been about tanking, it has been about cutting money expenses and developing future while also hunting W's.

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

The Jets clearly have not given up on the season if they are making moves like this. I think Bowles and Mac are trying to beat expectations, honestly more then 6 wins make Bowles look like an amazing coach and Mac would look like he secured the future. This season has never been about tanking, it has been about cutting money expenses and developing future while also hunting W's.

My guess is Stewart isn't totally ready to take on primary slot receiver duties.  Bring Kerley in for the first 4 weeks or so until Stewart has the full playbook down and take over or Marshall comes back to take over or get cut.  Can't figure out any other reason to sign him honestly...

I really do hope to God he isn't returning punts I can't take another year of screaming at him for fair catching a ball inside the 5.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Also this is just weird because it took injuries to both Marshall and Decker for Bowles to let Kerley onto the field on offense. I can understand forcefeeding a high pick rookie like Devin Smith out there ahead of him, but he was also buried all behind the likes of butterfingers Jalin Marshall, Kenbrell Thompkins, and IIRC Chris Owusu as well until he concussed himself into getting waived midseason. Then they just cut Kerley after the season. 

There seemed to be something else - something not good - going on between Bowles & Kerley. I guess beggars can't be choosers -- for both Kerley and for the team. 

I'm pretty sure it was Chan that doesn't like small receivers in the slot. Precise route running also isn't/wasn't so important in Chan's system. Kerley is a better fit in the WC.

That being said signing him now really doesn't make sense. 3 practices before the first game when you could have signed him on Monday and it wouldn't be guaranteed. 

Jetsy move to say the least...see no positives from it at all. And for those that are saying perhaps it's only a move til 'insert young WR name here' better knows the playbook so it's short term...I have little doubt that as long as Kerley is upright and only marginally serviceable Bowles will continue to throw him out there. Sometimes I hate this team

I think the funny thing about this move is it means that Bowles would rather play a veteran player he does not like than go with young players. Wouldnt shock me to see Kearse and Kerley as the #1 and #2 receivers and the others struggle to even play. Bowles SO needs to be gone. 

What's weird is that Stringfellow (claimed off MIA) is NOT listed on the official team page while every other claim is.

I figured they'd release another WR to make room for Kerley on the active roster. 

Yet, they cut the STARTING  FB. In a WCO, where you NEED a FB, the Jets cut the only one they had on the roster for a fair-catching Punt Returner they cut a year ago:

In five seasons with the Jets, Kerley recorded 182 receptions for 2,225 yards and nine touchdowns.

In another roster move, the Jets waived fullback Julian Howsare. He was projected as a starter.

:blink:

53 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I don't like the move.  If he takes reps away from the young pups I'm disappointed. 

This is turning out to be a very safe offense. It's not about development. Herm Edwards would be proud.

This gives us the best chance to be reasonably competitive in most games. I think that's what gets Jet fans excited. 

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think the funny thing about this move is it means that Bowles would rather play a veteran player he does not like than go with young players. Wouldnt shock me to see Kearse and Kerley as the #1 and #2 receivers and the others struggle to even play. Bowles SO needs to be gone. 

OR, maybe the young players just aren't very good. Crazy thought, I know.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

OR, maybe the young players just aren't very good. Crazy thought, I know.

If mccagnan is incapable of drafting a quarterback, running back, wide receivers or a tight end who can contribute on this offense, then fire him.  It's laughable that a truly rebuilding team would start mccown/Kerley/Kearse.  The only rebuilding phase on this team, as usual, is the defense.  

Decent add, not sure what the point is again.  We will have a better return average, just hoping for the ball to bounce backwards.  

Good that they didn't drop anyone from the receiver group, but why bring him back when we need to develop Hansen/Stewart/Anderson and if they are still on the team, Peake and Marshall?  If the answer is veteran leadership and stuff, then why cut Decker?  Why would he sign here without any guarantee of playing time?

51 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Worst punt returner you can imagine.  He sucks horribly at that job.

Not the worst in the league by any means. He averages 9.1 yards per punt return and a I think the league average is 9.2. And he doesn't turn the bell over. Sure you'd love a guy with breakaway ability. But he's not that bad. 

2 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Decent add, not sure what the point is again.  We will have a better return average, just hoping for the ball to bounce backwards.  

Good that they didn't drop anyone from the receiver group, but why bring him back when we need to develop Hansen/Stewart/Anderson and if they are still on the team, Peake and Marshall?  If the answer is veteran leadership and stuff, then why cut Decker?  Why would he sign here without any guarantee of playing time?

The simple reason is, there is never a plan for the offense.  They have terrible players and are always looking to upgrade any position at any time, which is why they picked up ASJ.  Exactly how are Bowles and mccags going to demonstrate the growth of young talent with mccown throwing to kerley and kearse?

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

The simple reason is, there is never a plan for the offense.  They have terrible players and are always looking to upgrade any position at any time, which is why they picked up ASJ.  Exactly how are Bowles and mccags going to demonstrate the growth of young talent with mccown throwing to kerley and kearse?

If they wanted a slot guy, why not put a claim in for Austin Carr?  His measurables are better, he played well in the pre-season and young enough to actually have upside.  

I don't mind Kearse because I think they at least bought low on him, but Kerley and Kearse seems redundant on a rebuilding team that just drafted two guys in the middle rounds.  

Archived