Hurricane Irma - Part Two

Maxman

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

My ex-wife and son still live in the FL Keys.

I talked to her today and I told her if Irma stays on this track to be on the road heading out of the Keys no later than Thursday morning.

Fortunately she was very agreeable to my suggestion.

You are a good guy.

This morning I bought my ex wife a first class ticket to Miami for Saturday morning and a 5 star ground floor beachfront hotel room.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting to get crazy down here. Been stocking up on supplies and checking equipment here at the Station. I'm back on shift Friday, and I have a feeling I'll be here for a few days...

The house is well provisioned. Its a newer house (2007) CBS construction, concrete tile roof, on high ground away from water and inland...and I have steel shutters Ill be putting up tomorrow. But tomorrow night at the 6pm advisory, Ill be making some decisions. If this is forcast to be an intact Cat 4-5 and coming up the East Coast, I might send my wife and two boys with my inlaws up to Augusta Georgia to a friends house. I don't want to be here at work worried about my familys safety...and if its a big storm, we'll have enough on our plate searching for elderly people at the over 55 communities in my zone.

Totally ruined my Fantasy League, too. Our offline draft was tomorrow night. Oh, and our entire family is scheduled to go on a Disney Cruise next weekend.

Now I just hope I have a roof on my house next week, and I need to make my Mom and Dad realize that trying to ride out a major hurricane in a 100 year old house 2 blocks from the ICW with plywood on the windows.....

**** you, Irma. 

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Starting to get crazy down here. Been stocking up on supplies and checking equipment here at the Station. I'm back on shift Friday, and I have a feeling I'll be here for a few days...

The house is well provisioned. Its a newer house (2007) CBS construction, concrete tile roof, on high ground away from water and inland...and I have steel shutters Ill be putting up tomorrow. But tomorrow night at the 6pm advisory, Ill be making some decisions. If this is forcast to be an intact Cat 4-5 and coming up the East Coast, I might send my wife and two boys with my inlaws up to Augusta Georgia to a friends house. I don't want to be here at work worried about my familys safety...and if its a big storm, we'll have enough on our plate searching for elderly people at the over 55 communities in my zone.

Totally ruined my Fantasy League, too. Our offline draft was tomorrow night. Oh, and our entire family is scheduled to go on a Disney Cruise next weekend.

Now I just hope I have a roof on my house next week, and I need to make my Mom and Dad realize that trying to ride out a major hurricane in a 100 year old house 2 blocks from the ICW with plywood on the windows.....

**** you, Irma. 

Stay safe and God Bless you ALL .........better to be safe than sorry. 

4 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

**** you, Irma. 

Stay safe. My aunt married a guy who is socially messed up and doesn't leave his house for anyone and they are in key west. Lot of family of ours down there in my thoughts. I am reading that it may land in tampa or fort Meyers. 

1 minute ago, Lizard King said:

Stay safe. My aunt married a guy who is socially messed up and doesn't leave his house for anyone and they are in key west. Lot of family of ours down there in my thoughts. I am reading that it may land in tampa or fort Meyers. 

Good luck to them. Whichever way the storm tracks, the Keys are in for it...

57 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

**** you, Irma. 

Some neighbors stayed for Sandy and were almost killed. The storm surge combined with a moon tide (which  small favor will not be the case in Fla with Irma) created a 9 foot wall of water. Most only survived because they got to high ground or upper floors of sturdier homes that were not engulfed in the firestorm. Power company did not turn off the electric, and seawater and electricity do not mix, so roughly 300 houses including my mom's were completely destroyed. Thankfully she was with us in Brooklyn and her house is now rebuilt but much higher and more resilient, but without a basement. Other homes like mine were damaged so badly as to be unhabitable and condemned. Everyone had some damage; seawater destroys sheetrock and wood and causes mold. Several  people in Staten Island were washed out to sea, a woman in Belle Harbor not far from here bled out when a storm door window broke and cut her artery. A guy in Gerritsen Beach drowned in his basement. Some homes have still 5 years later not been rebuilt. Know it sucks and is scary as hell to leave your home, but you have to go. And have your insurance data and claim rep lined up on your phone ASAP. Some things are covered by flood, others by standard home owners' policy, and be ready to fight them for a very long time when they start with the 'depreciation" nonsense. 

49 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Some neighbors stayed for Sandy and were almost killed. The storm surge combined with a moon tide (which  small favor will not be the case in Fla with Irma) created a 9 foot wall of water. Most only survived because they got to high ground or upper floors of sturdier homes that were not engulfed in the firestorm. Power company did not turn off the electric, and seawater and electricity do not mix, so roughly 300 houses including my mom's were completely destroyed. Thankfully she was with us in Brooklyn and her house is now rebuilt but much higher and more resilient, but without a basement. Other homes like mine were damaged so badly as to be unhabitable and condemned. Everyone had some damage; seawater destroys sheetrock and wood and causes mold. Several  people in Staten Island were washed out to sea, a woman in Belle Harbor not far from here bled out when a storm door window broke and cut her artery. A guy in Gerritsen Beach drowned in his basement. Some homes have still 5 years later not been rebuilt. Know it sucks and is scary as hell to leave your home, but you have to go. And have your insurance data and claim rep lined up on your phone ASAP. Some things are covered by flood, others by standard home owners' policy, and be ready to fight them for a very long time when they start with the 'depreciation" nonsense. 

Im from Belle Harbor. Beach 127th. Sandy ****ed that place up.

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

The morning after Sandy we went down to the beach (Raritan Bay) in NJ. We are like a mile from there and had water in the basement but not actual flooding, just normal damage from a bad storm. We were lucky. Anyhow we are walking on the beach and there is a married couple. They lived right by the bay. He wanted to stay, she wanted to go before the storm. They stayed.

He explained how the water just kept climbing stair by stair. They were on the 2nd floor. He said when there was only one stair left I was certain we were going to die. Luckily that was the high water mark.

Scary though. Evacuate. No shame in that game.

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

I was in Bay Ridge for Sandy and I think the worst thing by me (79th & 6th) was that my satellite went out twice for few minutes. We got so lucky there as obviously Staten Island and southern Brooklyn took it pretty hard.

Anyway, my friend lived in Gerristen Beach and pretty much lost his house in Sandy. He had insurance but the insurance company tried to say it wasn't covered because 'it was a 'Superstorm''. That's not even a thing. The news made that one up. He ended up winning (is that the right word?) his claim soon after. Still, they're terrible. 

I'm a plumber and really Sandy is a blur to me now. Worked about 7 days straight. Water was literally gushing out from any drains it could find.  I took a 12 hour nap then started replacing all those furnaces, and water heaters.

Then spent the next 2 months updating everyone's drainage systems with battery backups and adding check valves to there main lines. 

If you have basement drains get some good plugs and seal them up before the water starts. Pull your toilets and plug those flanges too. Just make sure your lowest drain is much higher than your neighbors. Also make sure you have a good seal on your main clean out. Everyone should have a good check valve on there main anyway for anytime the sewers back up. You'll be glad you did. 

The latest models seem to have her tracking more to the east.  It's possible it may miss Florida.  if that happens the folks north, like North Carolina, better prepare.  Still going to break out the shutters today, but wait until tomorrow to put them up.

7 hours ago, Jet9 said:

I was in Bay Ridge for Sandy and I think the worst thing by me (79th & 6th) was that my satellite went out twice for few minutes. We got so lucky there as obviously Staten Island and southern Brooklyn took it pretty hard.

Anyway, my friend lived in Gerristen Beach and pretty much lost his house in Sandy. He had insurance but the insurance company tried to say it wasn't covered because 'it was a 'Superstorm''. That's not even a thing. The news made that one up. He ended up winning (is that the right word?) his claim soon after. Still, they're terrible. 

the argument is that most of the damage is due to floods which is NOT covered by regular insurance.  But i think for Sandy lots of insurance companies made exceptions eventually i heard.

48 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I'm a plumber and really Sandy is a blur to me now. Worked about 7 days straight. Water was literally gushing out from any drains it could find.  I took a 12 hour nap then started replacing all those furnaces, and water heaters.

Then spent the next 2 months updating everyone's drainage systems with battery backups and adding check valves to there main lines. 

If you have basement drains get some good plugs and seal them up before the water starts. Pull your toilets and plug those flanges too. Just make sure your lowest drain is much higher than your neighbors. Also make sure you have a good seal on your main clean out. Everyone should have a good check valve on there main anyway for anytime the sewers back up. You'll be glad you did. 

thanks for the advice!  

Just spoke to a friend of mine in the US Virgin islands... It's panic down there. A meteorologist told people to evacuate as far inland as they could, and if they decide to stay near the coast or on their boats to please write their social security information on their arms... He was being a bit dramatic but I guess people have a tendency to try and ride it out, and they're trying to tell people this is not the storm to do that with.

Man I'm nervous... 185MPH winds? Unheard of. 

5 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Just spoke to a friend of mine in the US Virgin islands... It's panic down there. A meteorologist told people to evacuate as far inland as they could, and if they decide to stay near the coast or on their boats to please write their social security information on their arms... He was being a bit dramatic but I guess people have a tendency to try and ride it out, and they're trying to tell people this is not the storm to do that with.

We have to hope this storm turns one way or the other. If it tracks north it will slow down in the cooler waters. If the eye hits Cuba it will slow down very quickly. 

If it splits straight through those islands without losing speed we're in trouble.

32 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

i can't imagine why someone would want to stay on their boat.

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

If you've had positive experiences taking young children on a 24-hour flight, I'd love to hear about it!

I never did 24 hr flights with or without kids.

My kids are grown now but we  enjoyed trips by breaking them into segments.

Surely Mr Deep pockets can layover in SanDiego and Hi

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

This thing is a beast!!! Everyone be safe!

Im predicting a turn north once it gets out of the mountains ranges in PR-Dominican-Cuba.  Probably sweep some off the coast of Florida and hit again in the Carolina's.  

Already have to start paying attention to the water temps off the coasts... It could gain steam again as it heads north if it doesn't hit inland enough. 

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

This thing is a beast!!! Everyone be safe!

Im predicting a turn north once it gets out of the mountains ranges in PR-Dominican-Cuba.  Probably sweep some off the coast of Florida and hit again in the Carolina's.  

That seems to be the plan right now according to the latest models.  Of course it might change quickly

17 hours ago, Jetster said:

Just built a new home in Beaufort SC & praying right now. Up in NH now where we live in the northeast the news I'm seeing is freaking me out a bit. Mathew hit the area really hard & that was a category 1. 

Sorry to hear Jetster.  We were supposed to go to Hilton Head this weekend and we just canceled.  I'll say a prayer that it goes out so sea for you. 

1 hour ago, darook said:

Sorry to hear Jetster.  We were supposed to go to Hilton Head this weekend and we just canceled.  I'll say a prayer that it goes out so sea for you. 

Thanks, can't believe 2 hurricanes after I built my future retirement home. they've evacuated once in 60 years, now twice within 1 year. 

Luckily I know a great local guy who's putting up the metal shutters on Saturday. He's gonna get a nice bonus from me I can tell you that!

Archived