Hurricane Irma - Part Two

Maxman

17 hours ago, Jet9 said:

I have an employee trying to call out saying her family might evacuate. The only thing is I'm in Orange Beach, AL by Pensacola. Man oh man do I hate opportunists. 

Meh, people freak out.  The media doesn't help. Funny enough, we had a couple from Miami staying here and now they're in Orange Beach with family.   

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, batman10023 said:

What type of clients won't understand. Crazy. 

In fairness to them, a lot of them have 1.000's of $ at stake.  In areas that the storm blacks out, it will cause weeks of paralysis.  If they don't get their work done now, they might not get it for a month if we get hit hard.  They expected us to work until today, then get our families, and homes safe today in high winds and  rain.  We usually do, but when all the models on Wed.  showed a landfall right here at 180MPH, I closed

Right now it looks like we will get hurricane force winds, that will knock the lights out, but God willing we won't take a direct hit.  The storm is currently a Cat 3-4.  Big storm and the poor people in the town that it makes landfall in are going to take a big shot.  (Pray for @savage69) It seems like it is going to come up the middle of the state, and pass just to the west of the lake.  Over 2,000 people drowned there in 1928 from a similar hurricane.  Crossing land hopefully will also weaken it. 

My area appears to be spared from the worst of it.  My prayers go out to the people in it's direct path.

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

We've lived in Florida for 30 years, I've only evacuated once, last year for Mathew and when we got back, we never even lost power and probably shouldn't have left and I live on the beach in Jax. 

Im not saying to take these things lightly but evacuating isn't common. 

I've also been here over 30 years and I've never evacuated.   When this storm was blowing at 180 MPH I wanted to fly out to my sisters in Vegas.  Wife wouldn't do it.  

I did some work in New Orleans after Katrina.  I strongly advise anyone who's in Irma's direct path, on the beach near land fall, or in a flood zone to get out of town.  Things always seem to happen to other people...........until they happen to you.

I know several people on here live in the area, so just a heads up, I just got a text from a fishing buddy who works there, FPL is going to shut down the St Lucie power plant sometime during the day, so any one who gets service from there will be in the dark before the storm gets here

6 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I know several people on here live in the area, so just a heads up, I just got a text from a fishing buddy who works there, FPL is going to shut down the St Lucie power plant sometime during the day, so any one who gets service from there will be in the dark before the storm gets here

FPL Public Information Officer Rob Gould said FPL's Turkey Point and St. Lucie nuclear generators will be powered down. Other non-nuclear plants are expected to generate enough to power to make up for losses from the nuclear plants closing unless they are severely damaged by the storm

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Tell them to get off the coast, and they should be fine.  Naples looks like it's going to take a big shot

I actually slept through Charlie,Irene,Katrina and Wilma so I have no doubt I can take a power shot from Irma.. Its the power loss and not being able to see the Jets and football on Sunday that sucks.. Most of the people I know that left went to Jacksonville the wind don't blow there just the people..:)

37 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

I actually slept through Charlie,Irene,Katrina and Wilma so I have no doubt I can take a power shot from Irma.. Its the power loss and not being able to see the Jets and football on Sunday that sucks.. Most of the people I know that left went to Jacksonville the wind don't blow there just the people..:)

Good luck, and God Bless Savage.

Do you still have your Loni Anderson blow up doll for flotation?  

17 hours ago, SAR I said:

New Jersey has a unique vacation week in April, the only state in the country to get this particular week off.  It's the absolute best time and best weather to get to the Caribbean and there are no crowds, we practically have the place to ourselves.

We vacation in February as well.  "Poor".  Yup.

SAR I

Which hospital were you born?

About 30 hours ago, Irma's path seemed headed east of the Atlantic Coast. Decided not to evacuate as highways were clogged and people abandoning their cars because they couldnt find fuel. A direct hit from Irma now possible in Sarasota on the Gulf Coast starting on Sunday night. Maybe strong enough winds to take my roof off. Flooding. Power outages virtually certain. This is beyond nerve wracking.

32 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

About 30 hours ago, Irma's path seemed headed east of the Atlantic Coast. Decided not to evacuate as highways were clogged and people abandoning their cars because they couldnt find fuel. A direct hit from Irma now possible in Sarasota on the Gulf Coast starting on Sunday night. Maybe strong enough winds to take my roof off. Flooding. Power outages virtually certain. This is beyond nerve wracking.

Be safe! I'm in Tampa...weathermen missed this. 

Have a few buddies in FL.  One in New Port Richey was told to leave so he went to his brothers in Lutz.  Another in Wesley Chapel flew to Atlanta a couple days ago..  Another in Orlando doesn't seem too worried.  And the buddy who smokes too much pot in Land O Lakes who probably got as many beers as he did waters when going to Walmart.

6 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Just saw the news and was thinking about you.....     my mom and brother in Palm Beach.  BE safe my friend. 

On September 8, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Jet9 said:

I was in Ft Myers for Charlie and then Sandy. Hurricanes suck. Stay safe dude.

My brother bought a house in Cape Coral just months ago. His first home in FL. They haven’t fully moved in yet. He showed pics and explained why he chose FL over CA and I said, “Looks nice but what about hurricanes?” He said, “Bah … haven’t had one here in 10 years!”

The plan was to wait for his wife to finish and quit her job and complete the move on the 18th next week. They don’t even know if they’ll have a home after Sunday. 

13 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

FPL Public Information Officer Rob Gould said FPL's Turkey Point and St. Lucie nuclear generators will be powered down. Other non-nuclear plants are expected to generate enough to power to make up for losses from the nuclear plants closing unless they are severely damaged by the storm

Based on Sandy, would be shocked if power companies do not shut down the power on purpose. Seawater hitting transformers and live wires is very bad . Expect to be without power for a fe days unless you have a generator and gas or propane to run it. 

16 hours ago, Savage69 said:

I'm in Naples also and decided to go to my sisters for the storm even though I can't stand my brother-in-law.. Hopefully my last words aren't look mom I can fly..:)

Stay safe buddy. My parents evacuated today. They went to my uncles house in Pembrook Pines. Now if they only listened to me last Monday and came to Connecticut like I told them to. The one time I was right and look what happened.

4 hours ago, jetrider said:

My brother bought a house in Cape Coral just months ago. His first home in FL. They haven’t fully moved in yet. He showed pics and explained why he chose FL over CA and I said, “Looks nice but what about hurricanes?” He said, “Bah … haven’t had one here in 10 years!”

The plan was to wait for his wife to finish and quit her job and complete the move on the 18th next week. They don’t even know if they’ll have a home after Sunday. 

Brutal. Cape Coral is just wide open and flat. No natural vegetation it seems either. All the trees are from thr homeowners. Its like they leveled the whole place before they started a city. 

Parents made it to Orlando on Tuesday night after 9 hours in the car and realized they would never make it to Alabama. After some hectic juggling we finally got them out of Dodge and they are with my wife and I in LA. It has been a crazy couple of days. Worried about their house, but as soon as I saw their faces I honestly couldn't have given less of a sh*t. It's just stuff. Best of luck to everyone still there.

21 hours ago, Savage69 said:

U r bad ass

48 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Marathon and key west getting it now. If she continues straight north she'll be a bit move over land and weaken faster than if she went a bit mor west. Either way, Naples, Marco island, Lehigh acres, Cape Coral, put charlotte are gonna get rocked

Mom and brother are in Palm Harbor.  Mom lives in a modest all brick home.....she's as tough as they come but at 74 , I'm worried but she isn't.     Brother lives on the water.... he's gonna stay at moms.   800k home evacuates to a 200k home.  Go figure.....

10 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Brutal. Cape Coral is just wide open and flat. No natural vegetation it seems either. All the trees are from thr homeowners. Its like they leveled the whole place before they started a city. 

He has palms taller than the house like most other homes there. Streets are lined with them. He spent Thurs night and most of Friday in evacuation traffic.

They might scrap the Florida experiment altogether without ever living there. Sucks because they've been looking forward to the move for a couple years. What freaky timing.

On 9/10/2017 at 0:56 AM, Jet9 said:

it is a man made city.  most of the canals are man made as well.  has more canals than venice italy.

8 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Rode the storm out in Tampa.  didnt lose power or water although i am lucky as quite a few people i know are without power and water.  All and all, feeling very fortunate.  Hope everyone else is well.

Glad everyone is safe. Power out here in Boca but all in al dogged a bullet.

Archived