The 2009 Mark Sanchez led Jets went 9-7 and 2 playoff wins with a good defense why are the expectations so low?

Jetsbb

If Bowles is the defensive genius he claims to be and with blue chip players Muhamed Wilkerson and Leonard Williams to play with why can't the Jets be competitive? I'm sorry the 2009 Jets offense was way worse than this teams. A rookie Sanchez was beyond bad 12td 20 int's and a 60 QB rating. Who were their receivers? No really I cant remember. Josh Mccown only by himself is leap years better than Sanchez. There seems to be this concerted emphasis on how bad this team will be because of how inept the offense looks ignoring there is major talent on defense. Now do I believe this team will win 9 games? Hell no. Why? Because Rex is actually a defensive genius and we downgraded severely when firing him for Todd Bowles. You would think at least the coach that succeeds Rex would be better at in game management but he is even worse at that as well! Now watch this team tank and go 2-14 and there will be beat reporters like Connor Hughes and Manish Mehta arguing Bowles had no chance, was set up to fail and so therefore deserves an extension.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That defense was better than this one will be, just by having Darrelle Revis in his prime.

And as far as offensive talent? Thomas Jones, Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any three players we're gonna trot out on offense all season long.

But, let's be honest. The biggest reason for that team's success was that O-line, and it's never come close to being as good since.

It's that simple.

Also had D'Brick, Faneca, Mangold, Moore, And Woody which was arguably the best OL in football.  

We were above average to elite at all 5 positions.  We were a tough, physical team where we dominated both lines of scrimmage.

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

That defense was better than this one will be, just by having Darrelle Revis in his prime.

And as far as offensive talent? Thomas Jones, Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any three players we're gonna trot out on offense all season long.

But, let's be honest. The biggest reason for that team's success was that O-line, and it's never come close to being as good since.

It's that simple.

Boom, spot on, we had a stellar Oline and great running game. Plus Revis at his peak. We now have perhaps the worst Oline in football, no QB or WR's.

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

If Bowles is the defensive genius he claims to be and with blue chip players Muhamed Wilkerson and Leonard Williams to play with why can't the Jets be competitive? I'm sorry the 2009 Jets offense was way worse than this teams. A rookie Sanchez was beyond bad 12td 20 int's and a 60 QB rating. Who were their receivers? No really I cant remember. Josh Mccown only by himself is leap years better than Sanchez. There seems to be this concerted emphasis on how bad this team will be because of how inept the offense looks ignoring there is major talent on defense. Now do I believe this team will win 9 games? Hell no. Why? Because Rex is actually a defensive genius and we downgraded severely when firing him for Todd Bowles. You would think at least the coach that succeeds Rex would be better at in game management but he is even worse at that as well! Now watch this team tank and go 2-14 and there will be beat reporters like Connor Hughes and Manish Mehta arguing Bowles had no chance, was set up to fail and so therefore deserves an extension.

Remind me again where last years Bowles led defense ranked?

9 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Remind me again where last years Bowles led defense ranked?

by yardage 11th.  by points 28th. as usual there ares some buts associated with these stats the first being that revis was mailing it in and the dline was underperforming.  but most importantly the offense wasn't moving the ball.  the offense was 26th by yardage and 30th by points.  also the defensive points also include the pick sixes, punt returns, ko returns, etc so it's not just point given up by the defensive unit.

i get your point about the defense thought.  bowles is supposed to be a defensive guru and thus far they haven't shown much.  this season it will clearly be his defense.

Bowels does not coach defense. All the guys that wanted Rex to stop focusing on defense and be a HC have gotten their wish in Bowles. Rodgers is a good Dline coach and he doesn't do that. Bowles is a good DC. The one thing Bowles does well is the one thing he does not do because he wants to be a well rounded HC. 

The real problem is that Bowles cannot generate any emotional determination, or discipline either, so his only job really is to make sure that the coordinators don't do anything risky or unconventional.

You play to give your team a chance to be competitive...in most games.

3 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

It's that simple.

Thank you we have fans who want to pretend we are a HC from a SB when we are not!!

In 2009 the O-line was a rock and Thomas Jones could pound the ball downfield, and with Cro and Revis in their primes anchoring that defense, if the Jets scored 13 points they were probably going to win the game.

This year, I agree our D might keep the score respectable in some games. We have a better front 7, in my opinion, than we did back then. Our secondary is very young, but has worlds of potential. 

On offense, our O-line is horrendous, all of our receivers would be lucky to be #4 receivers on any other team, and our starting RB is 32. Bilal Powell is a great complimentary back, but couldn't carry an offense the way Thomas Jones or even a combination of LT and Greene could. 

And by the way, McCown has made a long career of sucking, and Hack probably should look into a career of selling insurance. Petty is Brooks Bollinger 2.0 and at best is a career backup

4 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

One day we will have a real QB, and some talent on this team.  Suddenly, whoever the coach is at that time will FINALLY be the coach who isn't clueless.  Until that day, it will continue to be all Bowles/Rex/Mangini/Herm/Groh/Kotite/Carroll's fault.  I mean, the Jets are 1,000:1 preseason odds to win the Super Bowl - worst in history.  Feel free to believe that it's because Todd Bowles is the worst head coach of all time if that helps you sleep at night, I guess...

Best o-line in the league. Brick, Faneca, Mangold, Moore, Woody would have gone down as an all time o-line if they were protecting a vet instead of a rookie. Braylon and Cotchery would be the best two wide receivers on this roster. I know everyone already said all of this but I wanted to reminisce.

4 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

It's that simple.

Actually the only part of that team that wasn't Championchip calibration was the qb 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

by yardage 11th.  by points 28th. as usual there ares some buts associated with these stats the first being that revis was mailing it in and the dline was underperforming.  but most importantly the offense wasn't moving the ball.  the offense was 26th by yardage and 30th by points.  also the defensive points also include the pick sixes, punt returns, ko returns, etc so it's not just point given up by the defensive unit.

i get your point about the defense thought.  bowles is supposed to be a defensive guru and thus far they haven't shown much.  this season it will clearly be his defense.

Opponents weren't exactly starting their drives pinned inside their own 10 on a regular basis. Our sucky offense, and substandard punting, and of course the turnovers, meant not just a lot of drives starting in favorable field position, but a lot of drives in general.

But with all that factored in, the reality is our opponents' average drive started on the 30 yd line vs the 27 yd line for our own offense: not such a huge difference. We simply didn't stop teams when they did move the ball: opponents' pass TD percentage was an embarrassing 5.5%. Get that? More than 1 out of every 20 pass attempts against our defense resulted in a TD. Nearly 40% of opponents' possessions resulted in some type of scoring drive (29th rank in the league). That's independent of pick-6's and such scoring that occurred with our D off the field.

You can't "most importantly" blame the offense when the pass defense surrenders 30 TDs while picking off only 8. Opposing pass offense stats read like a damn efficient passer: on 545 attempts, completed 63% for 3900 yds at 7.2 ypa, 30 TDs, 8 INTs. For a team that disproportionately used its FA and draft resources on the defensive side of the ball - on top of an all-defense HC - that is an embarrassment.

The run D, which was far better than the pass D (as expected), won't be the same without a premiere run defender like Sheldon (also as expected). While that 4-DT line made for a slower pass rush, it was damn hard to run against us.

28 minutes ago, gEYno said:

One day we will have a real QB, and some talent on this team.  Suddenly, whoever the coach is at that time will FINALLY be the coach who isn't clueless.  Until that day, it will continue to be all Bowles/Rex/Mangini/Herm/Groh/Kotite/Carroll's fault.  I mean, the Jets are 1,000:1 preseason odds to win the Super Bowl - worst in history.  Feel free to believe that it's because Todd Bowles is the worst head coach of all time if that helps you sleep at night, I guess...

Boom

5 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

It's that simple.

Word.

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Without looking, can you name the starting DL in 2009?

09 had a better O Lineman at every position then this team.   Thomas Jones was a very good back for us, and those WR were all better than what there is now.   The corners were way better, the D ranked top 5.

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

09 had a better O Lineman at every position then this team.   Thomas Jones was a very good back for us, and those WR were all better than what there is now.   The corners were way better, the D ranked top 5.

Not arguing that at all.  I was asking about the DL.  It feels like forever that it's been the strength of this defense but back then it was all about the secondary.  So...can you rattle off the starters?

41 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Not arguing that at all.  I was asking about the DL.  It feels like forever that it's been the strength of this defense but back then it was all about the secondary.  So...can you rattle off the starters?

No.   My brain is not what it was.   Shaun Ellis, whoever was playing nose.  Pouha maybe?   OLB were Thomas and... Pace?   Not real pass rushers.

Archived