The 2009 Mark Sanchez led Jets went 9-7 and 2 playoff wins with a good defense why are the expectations so low?

Jetsbb

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Sean Ellis, piouha (sp?), And ???

Mike Devito.  Who was a very serviceable guy for us.  But not so memorable in spite of that.  I couldn't pull the name out either.  It seems like forever that we have had a monstrous DL, but really it's just been a few years.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

If Bowles is the defensive genius he claims to be and with blue chip players Muhamed Wilkerson and Leonard Williams to play with why can't the Jets be competitive? I'm sorry the 2009 Jets offense was way worse than this teams. A rookie Sanchez was beyond bad 12td 20 int's and a 60 QB rating. Who were their receivers? No really I cant remember. Josh Mccown only by himself is leap years better than Sanchez. There seems to be this concerted emphasis on how bad this team will be because of how inept the offense looks ignoring there is major talent on defense. Now do I believe this team will win 9 games? Hell no. Why? Because Rex is actually a defensive genius and we downgraded severely when firing him for Todd Bowles. You would think at least the coach that succeeds Rex would be better at in game management but he is even worse at that as well! Now watch this team tank and go 2-14 and there will be beat reporters like Connor Hughes and Manish Mehta arguing Bowles had no chance, was set up to fail and so therefore deserves an extension.

Because that team had an offensive line and running game!

And a better defense (top 5) and yes Rex was a better coach than Bowles.  Wackier, but better.  

16 hours ago, Philc1 said:

We also had Cotchery and Keller.  Keller made some very big plays for us especially in that week 1 game at Houston.

I love Cotch, one of my all time favorites, but on a good team he's a #3 WR maybe a #2.  he was our #1.

Keller was a solid TE, I liked him. we had a good thing going but the lockout rules really hurt us and that offseason after 2010 was the beginning of the end.

12 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Sean Ellis, piouha (sp?), And ???

12 hours ago, nycdan said:

Mike Devito.  Who was a very serviceable guy for us.  But not so memorable in spite of that.  I couldn't pull the name out either.  It seems like forever that we have had a monstrous DL, but really it's just been a few years.

DeVito didn't start until 2010.  Marques Douglas started most of that year opposite Ellis.  I think that Ellis missed a game suspended to start that year off. I think Pouha also played some DT/DE rather than stict NT which he took over after Jenkins went down.  Howard Green also had some run, but that one I had to look up.

For the OP, the first thing to consider is that expectations were not that high in 2009.  Rex and that D meshed incredibly well for a short time and that gave us a shot.  Bowles has been here for 3 years - it is unlikely that they become the top D in the NFL this year, no matter how important you think it is to have two top safeties.

In 2009 our defense was ranked #1 in the league, we had a reliable running back in Thomas Jones who started every game and rushed for over 1,400 yards behind an offensive line that was among the league's best. These factors can cover up rookie QB mistakes and get you to a 9-7 record which the Jets had. 

In 2017 I don't see this defense as being as good as 2009 or 2010 at all. We have aspects that will be great or look promising, but as a unit, I don't see us being able to hold teams under 15 points a game on average like we did in 2009. I don't expect us to hold any team to fewer than 20 points. On top of this, I would be shocked if we scored more than two touchdowns a game on average this season. This is a recipe for a bad year.

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

He was scary good.

I mean for real!!!

That is a pro he did that to.......

Left-handed no less.

I credit Rex for a lot of the team's success during that run, but I fault him more for the failures, which were more than able to be overcome by a better coach. 

Archived