Interesting Colon Insights

KRL

for what it's worth.  lucas and colon can and do make some pointed comments about the team.  they're not total homers like michael kay or the giaints guys.  colon is right about this team at the moment.  the main thing is for them to come out ready to play and then execute.  they do that and we could be surprised.

nice read, sounds like the team is developing a new culture, having fun, no drama, will be interesting to see what shows up on the field, either way it has to start in the locker room so good to hear that has improved

Good points on how Harris, Mangold were treated and interesting that he likes Petty over the hack as the #2

well I guess I have to say after reading that, I do maybe feel a slight interest in maybe wasting some time watching and seeing what happens. 

Because up til now, I have zero interest in watching this team. I can't stand what Woody has done and I wish he would sell the team but that aint never gonna happen. 

I think Bowles is gutless which bums me out because we come from the same hometown, but again. Jets. 

If they are at least entertaining, that will be better than any of the garbage I can remember from them..... But I am not happy about Mccown starting. It better be ONLY due to injury 

Sounds like Mac actually has some type of a plan which is nice to hear. 

Now if we can get rid of Bowles and hopefully promote from within so as not to start over from scratch. Somewhere between Rex and his blustering, and bowles and his whispering is the happy middle ground.

I like Morton a lot but it may be a little much to ask of a first year coordinator. Lets see how he does this year. 

I'd really like Rodgers and Bowles to switch  jobs. Bowles is so demur he might be relieved to be out of the spotlight...or he might not even notice. 

“I talked to some of the guys in the locker room who say, ‘Hey, when Bryce is out there with the No. 1s he’s lighting it up. There’s a sense of confidence and a sense of moxie . . . I think he’s constantly getting overlooked. If you invest in him and just believe in what he can do, this kid is tough. The guys in the locker room like him a lot.”

Makes you wonder if Bowles knows where the locker room is.  Even if Petty is on a week-to-week watch, you could still say he will be the #2 when he's ready to play.  If this is all about not making Hack feel bad, then Hack is already lost, and so is Bowles.  If it's about Bowles not recognizing what everyone else on the planet seems to, then he's still lost.  I just can't fathom any valid reason for not giving Bryce at least the recognition that he earned the #2 job, let alone a legitimate shot to start.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Max, the board does some strange things like messing up where I placed a quote tag and not letting me edit the post.

Makes you wonder if Bowles knows where the locker room is.  Even if Petty is on a week-to-week watch, you could still say he will be the #2 when he's ready to play.  If this is all about not making Hack feel bad, then Hack is already lost, and so is Bowles.  If it's about Bowles not recognizing what everyone else on the planet seems to, then he's still lost.  I just can't fathom any valid reason for not giving Bryce at least the recognition that he earned the #2 job, let alone a legitimate shot to start.

Bowles and Hack seem to have similar personalities. Kindred spirits maybe. Image result for hackenberg photoImage result for todd bowles image

I can't say I disagree with anything Willie or Ray said. I don't think the team is going to be as bad as everyone is predicting. When a team is very young like this one is, it can be fun to watch them grow as the season progresses. 

My only gripe is McCown starting. If the only other option was Hack, I'd understand starting McCown. Hack clearly isn't ready (and he may never be), but it sounds like the players would rally behind Petty. I don't get why this kid isn't being given a shot. What do you have to lose by playing him?

Two things:

1. Literally every person working in the league knew that Brandon Marshall was the Grim Reaper in a locker room environment, except for Maccagnan.

2. Bowles has been running a loose ship from Day One and exiling any player who is upsetting is not a replacement for leadership. Malcontents are only an issue if management enables it. True at your job, true in a locker room. 

When I read that, this is what I heard:

The team is happy that guys are having to get status and reps through merit rather than name, draft position, time with the team or contract.  The team thinks that Petty should be the #2 QB, but sees that somehow Hackenberg is getting all the reps and status.  Please reconcile these two thoughts for me. 

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The team is happy that guys are having to get status and reps through merit rather than name, draft position, time with the team or contract.  The team thinks that Petty should be the #2 QB, but sees that somehow Hackenberg is getting all the reps and status.  Please reconcile these two thoughts for me. 

Yea, I'm picking up on the same thing.

Also, I get the impression that because there were a couple of unlikeable personalities in the locker room last year, the majority of the team used it as an excuse to roll over. Removing the excuse of "bad locker room drama" what'll they lean on as the excuse this year? At some point, trying to be better at football has to be an option they explore. One would think.

28 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think the concern, rightly or wrongly, given his draft pick Hack needed practice and development time.  The preseason priority was not preparing to win-it was developing the QBs.  They knew McCown could play respectably after doing it 15 years, and that barring some miracle which they have  chance to happen McCown would start   

McCown will start but likely not for long   Then Petty is up   Maybe they would have considered starting Petty if he was healthy.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

This is a positive piece about the current Jets team from two people who actually played in the NFL and know what they are talking about.

This will be REJECTED by 3/4 of the board, and could cause the internetz to shut down for hours.....

By week 4 ray Lucas will be on jetsnation shredding the jets .. like every other year 

57 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The way this team is constructed on offense, I would be more worried about having a job if I was an offensive player than who the backup QB is . 

28 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think the concern, rightly or wrongly, given his draft pick Hack needed practice and development time.  The preseason priority was not preparing to win-it was developing the QBs.  They knew McCown could play respectably after doing it 15 years, and that barring some miracle which they have  chance to happen McCown would start   

McCown will start but likely not for long   Then Petty is up   Maybe they would have considered starting Petty if he was healthy.

The concern is that they are saying that all the unfairness and petty (no pun intended) politics is gone, but that there still appears to be unfairness and petty politics at the QB position.  They could have gotten Hackenberg reps without stiffing Petty.  They publicly stated that it was a 3-way competition, but I see no indication that Petty ever had a shot.  You talk about "developing the QBs" but the only one they appear to be putting any development into is Hackenberg.

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

The way this team is constructed on offense, I would be more worried about having a job if I was an offensive player than who the backup QB is . 

So your response is that because they are not very good, they should be unconcerned with whether treatment is fair across the board?  

Football players are not stupid, at least not in their realm.  They generally expect that if a guy is a better player than them (bigger, faster, stronger) he will have an easier time of it.  I am not sure that reconciles with Hackenberg getting all the reps over Petty this preseason.  Are a couple of years age difference and an extra year under contract worth all that?  Maybe, but I am not completely sold and it does not seem to coincide with this alleged "culture shift."

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The concern is that they are saying that all the unfairness and petty (no pun intended) politics is gone, but that there still appears to be unfairness and petty politics at the QB position.  They could have gotten Hackenberg reps without stiffing Petty.  They publicly stated that it was a 3-way competition, but I see no indication that Petty ever had a shot.  You talk about "developing the QBs" but the only one they appear to be putting any development into is Hackenberg.

So your response is that because they are not very good, they should be unconcerned with whether treatment is fair across the board?  

Football players are not stupid, at least not in their realm.  They generally expect that if a guy is a better player than them (bigger, faster, stronger) he will have an easier time of it.  I am not sure that reconciles with Hackenberg getting all the reps over Petty this preseason.  Are a couple of years age difference and an extra year under contract worth all that?  Maybe, but I am not completely sold and it does not seem to coincide with this alleged "culture shift."

They just cut the long-time long snapper to save $500k and they kept a kicker who can't make field goals because Bowles knew him from Arizona.

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Seems to me that you may be more concern about what the coaches are doing than what the players think the coaches are doing . Josh McCown got the least amount of reps in preseason and he's the starting QB on the official depth chart . Bryce Petty  got back up reps in preseason, and he's listed as the backup on the official depth chart  . Absolutely nothing to see here if Bryce Petty is healthy, but don't let that stop you from whatever it is you're projecting .

Have at it .

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They just cut the long-time long snapper to save $500k and they kept a kicker who can't make field goals because Bowles knew him from Arizona.

Swapping the LS didn't save $500k (or not in cap space, anyway). It's less than half that.

Thew new LS makes $400k, so he's not in the top 51. What the swap did is remove the $695k cap hit from Purdum (when a veteran is paid vet minimum, his cap hit is lower than his actual compensation; this is done so marginal vets like Purdum aren't priced out of a job by veteran minimum salaries going up with each year accrued). But after removing Purdum, the player whose cap hit was #52 moves up to the #51 slot. That's more in the $465k range (well above the new kid, which is why he doesn't count at all on the cap until $400k is at least the 51st-highest salary). So $695k-$465k = $230k. At least that's how I figure it, so it probably isn't a money move so much as future planning.

The truth is, it's one of the moves I can easily get behind. Purdum is 33 and the newb is 23. If there's a year to try out a new LS or two, and not lose your mind about any bad snaps costing games, it's this year. Honestly it was the correct move, but if Macc was smarter he'd have done it in March so they could work out more than 1 LS all spring/summer long (to then pick the one who makes the fewest errors). What is bass ackwards is letting the team (and ST coaches) work with Purdum again all summer long, and then replace him between the last preseason game and the first game of the season.

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Swapping the LS didn't save $500k (or not in cap space, anyway). It's less than half that.

Thew new LS makes $400k, so he's not in the top 51. What the swap did is remove the $695k cap hit from Purdum (when a veteran is paid vet minimum, his cap hit is lower than his actual compensation; this is done so marginal vets like Purdum aren't priced out of a job by veteran minimum salaries going up with each year accrued). But after removing Purdum, the player whose cap hit was #52 moves up to the #51 slot. That's more in the $465k range (well above the new kid, which is why he doesn't count at all on the cap until $400k is at least the 51st-highest salary). So $695k-$465k = $230k. At least that's how I figure it, so it probably isn't a money move so much as future planning.

The truth is, it's one of the moves I can easily get behind. Purdum is 33 and the newb is 23. If there's a year to try out a new LS or two, and not lose your mind about any bad snaps costing games, it's this year. Honestly it was the correct move, but if Macc was smarter he'd have done it in March so they could work out more than 1 LS all spring/summer long (to then pick the one who makes the fewest errors). What is bass ackwards is letting the team (and ST coaches) work with Purdum again all summer long, and then replace him between the last preseason game and the first game of the season.

Just like a cow kicking over a perfectly good container of milk . 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Two things:

1. Literally every person working in the league knew that Brandon Marshall was the Grim Reaper in a locker room environment, except for Maccagnan.

2. Bowles has been running a loose ship from Day One and exiling any player who is upsetting is not a replacement for leadership. Malcontents are only an issue if management enables it. True at your job, true in a locker room. 

You're still hung up on bringing him over in 2015? He offered Marshall an extension in 2017, which Marshall turned down, while pre-draft offers for Sheldon had temporarily dropped down to the 4th round.

Then again, if this was bad for the Jets in 2015, what does that say of the Giants after BM had yet another locker room problem (one they were so close to since we share the same newspapers), and they're pairing him with OBJ who was a barely-controllable nut without Sheldon.

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And if a game gets too close in the 4th quarter, they can say "Hey, kid, time to try out that new left-handed technique we talked about in practuice.  Don't worry about muffing it.  Gotta risk it for the biscuit!".  Harder to convince a 10-year vet to do that.

9 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Just like a cow kicking over a perfectly good container of milk . 

I don't think most understand the benefit of changing from Purdum isn't money savings. This is me defending Maccagnan, but it's also true it could/should have been done 6 months ago so we could have worked out more than 1 of them, even if only for a few days before recouping the summer roster spot.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think most understand the benefit of changing from Purdum isn't money savings. This is me defending Maccagnan, but it's also true it could/should have been done 6 months ago so we could have worked out more than 1 of them, even if only for a few days before recouping the summer roster spot.

The jets had 3 long snappers in camp during the OTA workouts . They traded for the player they said was on their preferred list before he became a free agent cut and they had to put in a claim and hope .     

29 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It was also mentioned somewhere that this new LS guy whatever his name is is better on return coverage than Purdum, so there is that.

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The jets had 3 long snappers in camp during the OTA workouts . They traded for the player they said was on their preferred list before he became a free agent cut and they had to put in a claim and hope .     

Meh. Pick one early, and have the punter/kicker work with him for weeks instead of going with Purdum all summer long and then changing things around after preseason is over.

Hopefully this works out, but you couldn't give them any less time to work together. 

I don't care what they say outwardly now, since they're in CYA mode with the Jets being ranked #32 and at an unprecedented 1000:1 odds for a superbowl win.

Plus it would seem then that the Colts brought in 2 UDFA long snappers better than all 3 of the ones we brought in: Hennessy lost the LS competition in Indy (and is why he was available). Think he really wouldn't have signed here if we offered? He grew up in freaking Bardonia, so his family and lots of his old friends live here. Also we have a track record for hanging on to our long snappers for years should he make the team.

Archived