Interesting Colon Insights

KRL

Outside of Decker, who has his own injury concerns, the Jets didn't really unload any name players that would've helped them this year. And Decker had to go as part of the Fitzpatrick cabal that really undermined the head coach and GM all year. 

They need to move on from McCown ASAP. I get having him in there early to stabilize the offense a little bit while the OL gels and the receivers get up to speed (the team now has two brand new guys who could easily be starters on opening day). But he has to be out of there before week 5. If the team somehow, miraculously, finds itself at 2-2 at that point and Bowles is spewing his best chance to win horsecrap, I don't even know. 

I like the young hungry player perspective, but one of those young hungrily players needs to be Petty. And if/when (probably more when than if) Petty gets hurt, they gotta throw Hackenberg to the wolves. They need to have no illusions at the QB position when the season ends.  

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

They just cut the long-time long snapper to save $500k and they kept a kicker who can't make field goals because Bowles knew him from Arizona.

I wouldn't care if Bowles was fired tomorrow, but it's mindless nonsense like this that forces me not to endorse the stupidity spewed around these parts.  Outside of fabrications spewed around here, who in their right mind thinks that a DC and rookie kicker ever spoke a damn word to each other, never mind forming such a great, ever-living bond together?  Considering this was Martin's second year with the Jets, reality suggests he was the one Bowles knew better.  Even more likely, Bowles gave zero sh*ts who they kept, and let the ST coach pick.

I mean, seriously, for how much real stuff there is to hate about this team, how do people manage to constantly come up with the dumbest things possible to whine about?  Is it an end goal to deliberately make Jets fans look like the biggest mass of dipsh*ts assembled?  I would think the team is doing a good enough job of that on their own without our help.

27 minutes ago, slats said:

Outside of Decker, who has his own injury concerns, the Jets didn't really unload any name players that would've helped them this year. And Decker had to go as part of the Fitzpatrick cabal that really undermined the head coach and GM all year. 

They need to move on from McCown ASAP. I get having him in there early to stabilize the offense a little bit while the OL gels and the receivers get up to speed (the team now has two brand new guys who could easily be starters on opening day). But he has to be out of there before week 5. If the team somehow, miraculously, finds itself at 2-2 at that point and Bowles is spewing his best chance to win horsecrap, I don't even know. 

I like the young hungry player perspective, but one of those young hungrily players needs to be Petty. And if/when (probably more when than if) Petty gets hurt, they gotta throw Hackenberg to the wolves. They need to have no illusions at the QB position when the season ends.  

I think there are certainly veterans we let go of that would have helped this year. It's unlikely they'd have helped enough, let alone in proportion to their compensation, just like last year.

If Petty gets injured late, and Hackenberg hardly plays, I'd think they'd be just as serious about drafting a QB as if Hackenberg and Petty both retired from football on January 10th.

They can't possibly be thinking of hedging their QB pick next year - bypassing one in the top 10 in favor of a 2nd-3rd rounder - just in case Hackenberg's light goes on. I mean they can't possibly, right? 

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think there are certainly veterans we let go of that would have helped this year. It's unlikely they'd have helped enough, let alone in proportion to their compensation, just like last year.

If Petty gets injured late, and Hackenberg hardly plays, I'd think they'd be just as serious about drafting a QB as if Hackenberg and Petty both retired from football on January 10th.

They can't possibly be thinking of hedging their QB pick next year - bypassing one in the top 10 in favor of a 2nd-3rd rounder - just in case Hackenberg's light goes on. I mean they can't possibly, right? 

This scenario gives me night terrors.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They can't possibly be thinking of hedging their QB pick next year - bypassing one in the top 10 with a 2nd-3rd rounder, just in case Hackenberg's light goes on. I mean they can't possibly, right? 

This is a legitimate concern of mine. I hope it's completely unfounded, but I just feel like there's a little too much ego tied into the Hackenberg selection. I'd really feel better if they gave him six games or so to crash and burn - or prove everyone wrong and suddenly be the guy! I'm worried that an incomplete grade might get in the way of taking a QB high next year. Mac has demonstrated himself to play it extremely safe in the first round, and he knows his career will be tied to any top five QB pick. I think he'd have to genuinely be in love with the player to make that move, but by draft time all of these can't miss prospects will be displaying a lot of warts. Does he have the balls to pull the trigger? 

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Now imagine that with your face under a pants-less Maccagnan's mesh office chair, inhaling his vile coffee farts all draft long.

Check. Your turn.

And you hear him whisper into the phone, "Okay, make that Petty and both of our 2018 2nd rounders for Geno.  I'll call it in".

Checkmate?

Just now, slats said:

This is a legitimate concern of mine. I hope it's completely unfounded, but I just feel like there's a little too much ego tied into the Hackenberg selection. I'd really feel better if they gave him six games or so to crash and burn - or prove everyone wrong and suddenly be the guy! I'm worried that an incomplete grade might get in the way of taking a QB high next year. Mac has demonstrated himself to play it extremely safe in the first round, and he knows his career will be tied to any top five QB pick. I think he'd have to genuinely be in love with the player to make that move, but by draft time all of these can't miss prospects will be displaying a lot of warts. Does he have the balls to pull the trigger? 

Valid concern, but your scenario could be worse. Even a bad QB can get hot (or anyway, far less cold) for a handful of games. Look at Geno's first 2 seasons, McCown in Chicago, etc.

Late in the season there are some favorable pass-D matchups for a QB. Yeah, they play Denver/KC, but there's enough of a built-in excuse if he only recently got the starting nod after the bye. Meanwhile they also play Carolina, New Orleans, the Chargers, and NE who will have clinched their slot by then (with an obvious interest in making Hackenberg look good). 

I could argue the worst thing that could happen is him still sucking but looking much improved in those last 3 games vs NO, LAC, NE. Just enough to add in the doubt that a #1 to #5 overall pick is needed to expend at the position. We could be better off if he's on the bench all year lol.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

And you hear him whisper into the phone, "Okay, make that Petty and both of our 2018 2nd rounders for Geno.  I'll call it in".

Checkmate?

Geno and Hack duking it out in '18 with a mid-late round rookie. Yeah, I think that's checkmate.

Or it would have if you'd added in bringing back McCown with Geno/Hack, so next year's rookie would be listed as our 4th stringer until week 17. 

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Valid concern, but your scenario could be worse. Even a bad QB can get hot (or anyway, far less cold) for a handful of games. Look at Geno's first 2 seasons, McCown in Chicago, etc.

Late in the season there are some favorable pass-D matchups for a QB. Yeah, they play Denver/KC, but there's enough of a built-in excuse if he only recently got the starting nod after the bye. Meanwhile they also play Carolina, New Orleans, the Chargers, and NE who will have clinched their slot by then (with an obvious interest in making Hackenberg look good). 

I could argue the worst thing that could happen is him still sucking but looking much improved in those last 3 games vs NO, LAC, NE. Just enough to add in the doubt that a #1 to #5 overall pick is needed to expend at the position. We could be better off if he's on the bench all year lol.

Ugh, yeah, I hear that, too. 

16 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think it is becoming evident that the locker room is behind Petty, not McClown or Hack. Bowles really needs to man up and start him. I know he wont though.

If this is true, then there's only 1 way to proceed . Bryce Petty needs to be removed from the roster .  They can only be 1 leader, and it has to be the HC . 

6 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I wouldn't care if Bowles was fired tomorrow, but it's mindless nonsense like this that forces me not to endorse the stupidity spewed around these parts.  Outside of fabrications spewed around here, who in their right mind thinks that a DC and rookie kicker ever spoke a damn word to each other, never mind forming such a great, ever-living bond together?  Considering this was Martin's second year with the Jets, reality suggests he was the one Bowles knew better.  Even more likely, Bowles gave zero sh*ts who they kept, and let the ST coach pick.

I mean, seriously, for how much real stuff there is to hate about this team, how do people manage to constantly come up with the dumbest things possible to whine about?  Is it an end goal to deliberately make Jets fans look like the biggest mass of dipsh*ts assembled?  I would think the team is doing a good enough job of that on their own without our help.

Except for the Great Minds, the NFL is an Old Boys Network.   That is how Bowles will get his next job. 

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

This scenario gives me night terrors.

It could really happen if the Jets pick out of the top 5.  

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Geno and Hack duking it out in '18 with a mid-late round rookie. Yeah, I think that's checkmate.

Or it would have if you'd added in bringing back McCown with Geno/Hack, so next year's rookie would be listed as our 4th stringer until week 17. 

Possible. 

11 hours ago, Tinstar said:

The way this team is constructed on offense, I would be more worried about having a job if I was an offensive player than who the backup QB is . 

I think he's talking to Brian Winters.  Winters is guaranteed $7,000,000 next year, he's safe

Archived