AFJF

Craig carton arrested by FBI

On 9/6/2017 at 5:41 AM, jmat321 said:

He's Christie's buddy, the orange one will pardon him

“Tell me who your friends are, I’ll tell you who you are”. - Every grandma in the world, in every language.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

“Tell me who your friends are, I’ll tell you who you are”. - Every grandma in the world, in every language.

screen-shot-2016-01-15-at-11-22-59-pm1.p

On 4/2/2018 at 2:28 PM, Flushing Roots said:

Factoring into the equation that his wife probably didn't work, let's say he grossed half a mill total per year.

Uncle Sam takes a 50% bite out of his *ss.  He's paying 1/5 of his take home in property taxes?

If I can figure this out, you know sure as sh*t the prosecutors will.

What services could any county or town provide for that level of taxation? Are the kids down at the local high school launching satellites into orbit or splitting the atom? 

After this tax season, with the SALT cap @$10k, either the populace of the northeast is going to rise up and demand more responsible governance(well-deserved but unlikely), or the FOR SALE signs are going to be a very popular item down at your local hardware store. Long Island, Connecticut, Westchester and NJ residents are getting a major financial shock. 

NY is ridiculously dependent on the financial services industry, but nobody needs to physically be here to trade. Florida has a million more people and 2/3s the budget with no state income tax and lower realty tax. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bugg said:

What services could any county or town provide for that level of taxation? Are the kids down at the local high school launching satellites into orbit or splitting the atom? 

After this tax season, with the SALT cap @$10k, either the populace of the northeast is going to rise up and demand more responsible governance(well-deserved but unlikely), or the FOR SALE signs are going to be a very popular item down at your local hardware store. Long Island, Connecticut, Westchester and NJ residents are getting a major financial shock. 

NY is ridiculously dependent on the financial services industry, but nobody needs to physically be here to trade. Florida has a million more people and 2/3s the budget with no state income tax and lower realty tax. 

The income tax is driving people away a lot more than the 10K cap is. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

The income tax is driving people away a lot more than the 10K cap is. 

Either way if you aren't locked into a  career or business here long term, you need to get the f___ out ASAP. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Bugg said:

SALT is going to be a shock for folks in high cost, high real estate and high tax areas.  

but unfortunately not much can be done - the pension obligations are increasing each year and only going to get worse.

that being said, the schools in these high tax towns and states are generally much better than in Florida from what i hear.  it's like a different world.

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

Those trumped up overtimes are killing tax payers, who's thumbs downing your post? Has to be public employees.

They just nailed a bunch of Massachusetts State Troopers for falsifying overtime sheets trying to pad their pensions! Every tax payer should be outraged! 

Theyre stealing money from you! 

Teachers are always crying about their pay but did you ever notice they don't talk about retiring in their early 50s and their pension & health plans. 

Heres a thought, give them a raise & take away their pension & put all of them in a 100% 401K plan like the private sector.

good luck getting the teachers union to agree to that.  every politician finds it easier to kick the can down the road.

given the life expectancy, teachers can probably get 30 years of pensions after working 25 years.  it's a huge cost that is hidden until it's not.  but nobody in their right mind would give that up - not until the state is BK.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

SALT is going to be a shock for folks in high cost, high real estate and high tax areas.  

but unfortunately not much can be done - the pension obligations are increasing each year and only going to get worse.

that being said, the schools in these high tax towns and states are generally much better than in Florida from what i hear.  it's like a different world.

I doubt it. The real estate in these areas is still sky high and houses sell in a blink. The people who can afford these areas arent balking at a 10k cap. If anything is going to drive people out(and already is and has been) it's the income tax, which is insane.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I doubt it. The real estate in these areas is still sky high and houses sell in a blink. The people who can afford these areas arent balking at a 10k cap. If anything is going to drive people out(and already is and has been) it's the income tax, which is insane.

SALT doesn't allow for state tax deductions - so i am agreeing with your point.

we pay what 12% for NYC.  the mortgage and property tax isn't deductible.  it's a killer.  if i didn't love it i would move out.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

good luck getting the teachers union to agree to that.  every politician finds it easier to kick the can down the road.

given the life expectancy, teachers can probably get 30 years of pensions after working 25 years.  it's a huge cost that is hidden until it's not.  but nobody in their right mind would give that up - not until the state is BK.

Walk around Tampa for a bit, you'll see the NYS retirement system docked in the marina. 😁

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Walk around Tampa for a bit, you'll see the NYS retirement system docked in the marina. 😁

ha.. going to jacksonville beach tomorrow.

look, it's not those people's fault - it's the politicians who sold our future.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

ha.. going to jacksonville beach tomorrow.

look, it's not those people's fault - it's the politicians who sold our future.

Of course...and its a shame, but NYS is hard to justify anymore...unless you're making FU money. Too many other options out there.

• Post of the Week 1

I don't love everything about living in Alabama (near Pensacola). But overall, I'm glad I left the northeast. It's not the weather either, THAT part I actually miss. 

3 hours ago, batman10023 said:

You know what’s worse than teacher pensions?  Cop pensions.  

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Some felons adapt easily and some dont.

hqdefault.jpg

Will he be raping Craig Carton in jail?

45 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Yep.  And nothing against the teachers and cops.  I just wish the positions told everyone what they were paying these workers if you factor 30 years of retirement. 

The goosing the salary near near the end is bad though.  It should be stopped. 

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Yep.  And nothing against the teachers and cops.  I just wish the positions told everyone what they were paying these workers if you factor 30 years of retirement. 

The goosing the salary near near the end is bad though.  It should be stopped. 

Looks like jetson got a govt pension :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/3/2019 at 11:31 AM, BallinPB said:

He won't be assaulted in jail.  Especially since he's going to the feds.  Unfortunately I know people who are doing time in the feds and supposedly it's 10x better than doing state time.   Some of them even post on social media from the inside which I don't understand at all. 

Thank you I was actually responding to those who implied that they hoped he was assaulted...

I did not like his humor but I don't wish harm on the dude,,,

He is a Jets Fan after all..

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Matt39 said:

this is so wrong it is comical-NY real estate market worst its been since 9/11-last year was terrible and salt was a big reason for it

• Manhattan home sales fell 14 percent last year, the industry's steepest drop since 2009, according to new data.
  • In the fourth quarter, the median price for an apartment in New York City fell below $1 million for the first time in three years.
  • The decline in sales in the fourth quarter was the fifth-straight quarterly drop.
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Craig Carton gets three and a half years in prison for $7 million ticket resale scam

April 5, 2019 | 1:09pm | Updated 

Enlarge Image
Craig Carton
Craig CartonMatthew McDermott

Disgraced sports radio host Craig Carton was sentenced to three and a half years in prison Friday in a nearly $7 million ticket resale scam meant to pay off his gambling debts — as the judge admitted she was a fan before haranguing him.

The 50-year-old shock jock begged for no prison in Manhattan federal court but couldn’t sway Judge Colleen McMahon.

“Colleen from New York. First time, long time,” the jurist greeted Carton.

Then, she laced into him.

“Your marriage is over, your kids are terrified … reputation in tatters,” she said, as the dad of four sat expressionless. “Craig Carton, you have indeed descended into a hell of your own making.”

On top of the 42-month sentence, Carton was ordered to complete 150 hours of community service and pay $4.8 million in restitution.

Carton, who rose to fame as the brash half of WFAN’s “Boomer and Carton” show, convinced deep-pocketed hedge funders to plunk down millions of dollars for blocks of tickets to Adele, Metallica and Barbra Streisand shows.

He promised big returns on resales — but never delivered.

Instead, Carton kept about $4.8 million for himself, using the cash in a Ponzi-like scheme to pay off debts he accrued as part of a gambling addiction gone awry.

In court, as he begged for a no-prison sentence, Carton admitted he was driven to a life of crime by “demons.”Enlarge Image

“Your honor, my name is Craig C. and I’m a compulsive gambler,” he told McMahon. “I’m truly powerless over this disease.”

Prosecutors asked for a sentence between five and seven years.

Carton claimed he was trying to get his real ticket-selling business off the ground when he fell into gambling and also claimed he was a victim of sexual abuse as a child.

He said he turned to gambling to escape that pain.

“I never intended to take money from people and not pay them back,” he said in court. “I had grandiose plans about how we would all make money together.”

But in a lengthy lecture, McMahon noted, “A gambling addiction is not an excuse for stealing from people or defrauding people.”

“You broke the compact, so you have to take a timeout from society,” she added.

Carton opened up about how his compulsive habit cost him his family in a five-minute video entitled “The Reckoning,” which was set to be released after his sentencing but viewed by The Post’s Phil Mushnick the day before.

McMahon also received a copy of the video prior to sentencing but she didn’t say whether she watched it.

“Thank you, Mr. Mushnick,” the jurist said sarcastically as she held up the front page of Friday’s Post about Carton’s video.

A jury convicted Carton of conspiracy, wire fraud and securities fraud in November.

He had faced up to 45 years but was expected to get far less under federal sentencing guidelines.

He split from his widely listened to sports talk show — which he hosted with former NFL quarterback Boomer Esiason — immediately following his September 2017 arrest.

Carton has paid back $50,000 to the investors he swindled, according to court papers.

His surrender date was set for July 15.

He had no comment as he left court.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:40 PM, batman10023 said:

It depends on where in Florida. My daughter is going to a highly rated HS in Florida. My other kids went through schools on Long Island. Not much difference.

• Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:02 PM, Matt39 said:

For cops maybe, but not all NY pensions are the same.

• Confused 1

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:26 PM, batman10023 said:

The goosing the salary near the end is bad though.  It should be stopped. 

Only cops get that.

• Like 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

Only cops get that.

Yeah I have both cops and teachers in my family and there really isn't a comparison between the two. I guarantee you no teacher is retiring in their 50's unless their spouse has a high paying job. My wife in her 10th year of teaching is JUST making more than I did my second year out of college in an entry level job in financial services and that job was basically going down a checklist. Every year for the last 8 years she has gotten a "raise" but also has to pay in more to the pension and health benefits so the take home pay has been equal or less than the year previous. She MIGHT crack $90k if she gets her doctorate degree and puts in another 20 years in the same district. People can complain about the pension system but at least the cops pension is on fairly decent footing, we have no idea of there will even be a pension by the time we reach retirement age.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

Over / Under  18 mos.?

I say under, he gets out, writes a book and lands a 500K yr job.

Wonder if he could have pleaded out for less. He should have never took this to trial, he said so much and had nothing in way of a get off defense.

• Upvote 1

On 4/3/2019 at 10:38 PM, Philc1 said:

Why the f$&@ are we talking about this on a f$&@ing football site?  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Scumbag got off light. Kids selling dime bags of weed get more time than that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 2
  • Butt Fumble 2