Bowles can't name backup QB

AFJF

6 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

People are getting really creative in their conspiracies regarding the job security of Mac and Bowles. In my opinion, both are safe to see through this rebuild. Maybe a senior guy is brought in to oversee both of them, similar to what Tom Coughlin is doing in Jacksonville.

I think the only way they don't survive is if a big time coach becomes available. Something along the lines of the Parcells hire in '97. Think Harbaugh or Gruden.

Serious question:  Go back into the Jets site and watch the Bowles presser after Decker and Harris were cut.  Let me know if you think that coach Bowles had any clue that 2 of his core veterans were about to be cut? 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Serious question:  Go back into the Jets site and watch the Bowles presser after Decker and Harris were cut.  Let me know if you think that coach Bowles had any clue that 2 of his core veterans were about to be cut? 

I remember the presser. I saw people's comments on here before watching it. I went into it expecting see what many of you were talking about as far as his demeanor.

I'm being 100% honest, I didn't see what you guys were supposedly seeing. 

23 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

People are getting really creative in their conspiracies regarding the job security of Mac and Bowles. In my opinion, both are safe to see through this rebuild. Maybe a senior guy is brought in to oversee both of them, similar to what Tom Coughlin is doing in Jacksonville.

I think the only way they don't survive is if a big time coach becomes available. Something along the lines of the Parcells hire in '97. Think Harbaugh or Gruden.

I just don't think a big time coach would come here.

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I remember the presser. I saw people's comments on here before watching it. I went into it expecting see what many of you were talking about as far as his demeanor.

I'm being 100% honest, I didn't see what you guys were supposedly seeing. 

OK   That's cool.  We all see things differently.

There was a 45 min. delay before that presser.  That is highly unusual.  I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that 45 min meeting between Todd and Macc. :)

22 minutes ago, Maxman said:

If this place existed in 1996, people likely would have thought the same thing back then. 

I think the allure of having total control, combined with the challenging environment here (not to mention a f*ckload of money) would be enticing. 

23 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Of course they would.  This is NYC.  Take the Jets from where they are to a Super Bowl win would make them a living legend.  Your board would be exploding:)

The key to getting that big time coach would be two-fold

1) Lots of $.  Heaps of it.

2) TOTAL CONTROL

Just now, flgreen said:

Of course they would.  This is NYC.  Take the Jets from where they are to a Super Bowl win would make them a living legend.  Your board would be exploding:)

The key to getting that big time coach would be two-fold

1) Lots of $.  Heaps of it.

2) TOTAL CONTROL

3) Woody Johnson. Which effectively erases # 1.

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

If this place existed in 1996, people likely would have thought the same thing back then. 

I think the allure of having total control, combined with the challenging environment here (not to mention a f*ckload of money) would be enticing. 

Woody seems to be the force that makes everything you described not possible. Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick both ran away. Hell even Al Groh ran away. Think about that. Two coaches in a row quit. I can't remember any coach quitting any job ever. It happened twice in a row to Woody.

17 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Woody seems to be the force that makes everything you described not possible. Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick both ran away. Hell even Al Groh ran away. Think about that. Two coaches in a row quit. I can't remember any coach quitting any job ever. It happened twice in a row to Woody.

Unfortunately, the decades of Jets' failure before that, and Belichick leaving before there was even a new owner, doesn't support such a claim.  So that basically leaves you with Groh, who left for college for the rest of his career, and a series of coaches who eventually left beyond their own choice and, as sad as it is to say, actually had their most head-coaching success here.

Bottom line, the moment anyone tries to blame the entirety of the Jets' failures on one, and only one, person, they're already wrong.  Over the years, we've seen this tried on everything from owners, to coaches, down to freakin' kickers, and it has never once been right.  Woody very well may belong on a long list of incompetents, but for all the conspiracy theories, can anyone think of a single instance where Woody was cited as the reason for the Jets' failing to get anyone, player or coach, the team really wanted?  You could argue about the quality of those that were brought in, but last time around he went out of his way to not be making the coach/GM decisions himself, and we see how thrilled everyone is with those now.  Even still, none of that gives any credence to the supposed refusal of others to come here.

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

Unfortunately, the decades of Jets' failure before that, and Belichick leaving before there was even a new owner, doesn't support such a claim.  So that basically leaves you with Groh, who left for college for the rest of his career, and a series of coaches who eventually left beyond their own choice and, as sad as it is to say, actually had their most head-coaching success here.

Bottom line, the moment anyone tries to blame the entirety of the Jets' failures on one, and only one, person, they're already wrong.  Over the years, we've seen this tried on everything from owners, to coaches, down to freakin' kickers, and it has never once been right.  Woody very well may belong on a long list of incompetents, but for all the conspiracy theories, can anyone think of a single instance where Woody was cited as the reason for the Jets' failing to get anyone, player or coach, the team really wanted?  You could argue about the quality of those that were brought in, but last time around he went out of his way to not be making the coach/GM decisions himself, and we see how thrilled everyone is with those now.  Even still, none of that gives any credence to the supposed refusal of others to come here.

Leon Hess hired Kotite and that led to Parcells and Belichick. So we had the right answer(s). They left because of Woody.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

3) Woody Johnson. Which effectively erases # 1.

During the hiring process (assuming Bowles, & maybe Macc, are fired after this coming season), Woody will be in the UK doing whatever it is he was appointed to do.  It's yet to be seen if Chris is just like his brother or nothing more than a delegator.  It would be an interesting scenario.  Woody would have absolutely no contact with any potential GMs or Coaches, leaving everything up to Chris.  That....could actually be a good thing. 

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Not defending Hackenturd or Toilet Bowles but the overrating of Bryce Petty based on 2 preseason games facing third stringers is mind-boggling.

Well, except he was capable enough to actually take an NFL snap. 

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

During the hiring process (assuming Bowles, & maybe Macc, are fired after this coming season), Woody will be in the UK doing whatever it is he was appointed to do.  It's yet to be seen if Chris is just like his brother or nothing more than a delegator.  It would be an interesting scenario.  Woody would have absolutely no contact with any potential GMs or Coaches, leaving everything up to Chris.  That....could actually be a good thing. 

I assume a flight back to NY isn't an option for a billionaire running a multi billion dollar franchise. 

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

I assume a flight back to NY isn't an option for a billionaire running a multi billion dollar franchise. 

He's not allowed to be involved with Jets operations as long as he's the UK ambassador from what I read a couple of weeks ago. 

5 minutes ago, j4jets said:

I could be totally wrong here, but I don't think he's actually allowed to be running the Jets while ambassador.

Even then, a hiring process can be long, extensive, and probably would count as "day to day" operation, which is exactly what Chris was appointed to do.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

He's not allowed to be involved with Jets operations as long as he's the UK ambassador from what I read a couple of weeks ago. 

Thank you, glad it wasn't just me who thought this.  Pretty sure I read the same.

Who cares? If you've been waiting desperately for Bowles to pick out a backup QB then your life must be empty. 

He wants to motivate both to win the job. He hasn't decided. He just doesn't want to tell the media. Really, who cares the reason why?

Just more reasons for people to bitch about nothing.

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I could be totally wrong here, but I don't think he's actually allowed to be running the Jets while ambassador.

Even then, a hiring process can be long, extensive, and probably would count as "day to day" operation, which is exactly what Chris was appointed to do.

There's still a bright side. You can't mess this up and there's only one way you can go when you hit rock bottom with schmucks like Mac n Bowles. So Woody, Chris or John Doe, we'll be guaranteed to not be any worse than last time around. 

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

This is simply not true. Parcells left the Pats and Cowboys in similar fashion. That was a case of Parcells being Parcells. He was always looking for a better deal elsewhere no matter where he worked. 

Groh left because his alma mater offered him the HC job there. It was his dream job, similar to Harbaugh when he left the Niners to go to Michigan. 

34 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

This is simply not true. Parcells left the Pats and Cowboys in similar fashion. That was a case of Parcells being Parcells. He was always looking for a better deal elsewhere no matter where he worked. 

Groh left because his alma mater offered him the HC job there. It was his dream job, similar to Harbaugh when he left the Niners to go to Michigan. 

True.  When I interviewed Cascadden about that a few years ago he said the offer to Groh was so unreal that he thinks Parcells even advised him to take it.

30 minutes ago, AFJF said:

True.  When I interviewed Cascadden about that a few years ago he said the offer to Groh was so unreal that he thinks Parcells even advised him to take it.

Makes sense. 

The Jets (and especially Woody) give us plenty of ammo to bash them with. There's no need for us to resort to making stuff up in order to do it. 

2 hours ago, j4jets said:

There's still a bright side. You can't mess this up and there's only one way you can go when you hit rock bottom with schmucks like Mac n Bowles. So Woody, Chris or John Doe, we'll be guaranteed to not be any worse than last time around. 

...said during the tenures of every head coach over the last 20 years.  

9 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Can someone please explain what the purpose of last season was regarding Hack? What I mean is, what was the point of keeping this kid in a football coma for an entire season, then expecting him to magically win a starting job in a PS with a $hit OL under a new OC, all after having never even gotten practice reps through all of last season? 

I don't think there was ever an expectation that he would win the job in camp this year, when looking at things at the start of last season. Fitz was God, and would be in place for 2016, 2017, and then depending on Hack's progress / other draft picks, the transition would start to happen in 2018. Meanwhile we continue to compete for the play offs.

They never anticipated the mess that was last year, so didn't have a Plan B for when the wheels came off. When they did, the only option was to blow it all up and essentially write off the 2017 season. Which is where we are now.

15 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Phil I dont think putting Petty ahead of Hack on the depth chart is overrating him by any means.

I dont know if there is any roster Hack would be #2 on.

This just reeks of Macc refusing to concede his project QB was a gamble that he lost.

at some point they are going to take a long look, and that is just that.  It is in the cards

There's no way Bowles is making the call on the QBs and the only reason McCown is starting is because Hackenberg embarrassed himself repeatedly. If Hackenberg is, in fact, the #2 QB on Sunday, it will be political, and the team will collapse upon itself rather quickly as a result. In that scenario, John Morton is going to be your head coach before the season is over. 

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

I don't think there was ever an expectation that he would win the job in camp this year, when looking at things at the start of last season. Fitz was God, and would be in place for 2016, 2017, and then depending on Hack's progress / other draft picks, the transition would start to happen in 2018. Meanwhile we continue to compete for the play offs.

They never anticipated the mess that was last year, so didn't have a Plan B for when the wheels came off. When they did, the only option was to blow it all up and essentially write off the 2017 season. Which is where we are now.

I am assuming this is some kind of crazy joke?  If they thought that Fitzpatrick was going to be here in 2017, why was he only signed for 2016?  Sound planning.  That makes even less sense than not having a Plan B. 

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There's no way Bowles is making the call on the QBs and the only reason McCown is starting is because Hackenberg embarrassed himself repeatedly. If Hackenberg is, in fact, the #2 QB on Sunday, it will be political, and the team will collapse upon itself rather quickly as a result. In that scenario, John Morton is going to be your head coach before the season is over. 

When Bowles said "it was too close to call between Hack and Petty" I got flashbacks to some of the ridiculous statements Sean Spicer had to make where everyone in the room, including him, knew it was a load of bullsh*t but his job was to say it out loud anyway.  Sadly, this seems to have become the new norm in our society.  Say things no rational person believes enough times and attack anyone that uses facts to disagree.

Several people seem annoyed that this has become a discussion even (backup QB, who cares!) but is there anyone on the board that thinks it was 'too close to call', let alone that Hack was better?  I don't think I've ever seen a team so desperate to be right about a 2nd round pick before.  

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am assuming this is some kind of crazy joke?  If they thought that Fitzpatrick was going to be here in 2017, why was he only signed for 2016?  Sound planning.  That makes even less sense than not having a Plan B. 

People bash Macc over the Fitz contract but it was Todd freaking Bowles who told the media that Fitzpatrick was the Jets starting QB in 2016 even though he wasn't even under contract & a free agent. Now that folks was asinine of Bowles. I wanted the Jets to say FU to Fitz when Foles was let go & ould have been been picked up for 1.8 million. Hindsight being 20/20 my move would have been the RIGHT MOVE, and we probably end up under .500 anyway but you guys know FULL WELL if Macc did not resign Fitz & even if we ended at 7-9, the fans would have been asking to have Macc strung up in times square for not resigning Fitz.

Macc was in a NO WIN situation in 2016. My god, the Jets were news, Fitz was the Amish rifle, bearded Tshirts showing up, Mangold & Decker at Ranger games with him. Talk about leverage, say what you want about Macc but he was totally pushed into a corner regarding Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Archived