AFJF

Bowles can't name backup QB

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

I just don't think a big time coach would come here.

We dont need a "big time" coach. We need a good coach that doesn't view offense as a disease, and believes in teaching and development.

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I could be totally wrong here, but I don't think he's actually allowed to be running the Jets while ambassador.

Even then, a hiring process can be long, extensive, and probably would count as "day to day" operation, which is exactly what Chris was appointed to do.

There's still a bright side. You can't mess this up and there's only one way you can go when you hit rock bottom with schmucks like Mac n Bowles. So Woody, Chris or John Doe, we'll be guaranteed to not be any worse than last time around. 

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Woody seems to be the force that makes everything you described not possible. Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick both ran away. Hell even Al Groh ran away. Think about that. Two coaches in a row quit. I can't remember any coach quitting any job ever. It happened twice in a row to Woody.

This is simply not true. Parcells left the Pats and Cowboys in similar fashion. That was a case of Parcells being Parcells. He was always looking for a better deal elsewhere no matter where he worked. 

Groh left because his alma mater offered him the HC job there. It was his dream job, similar to Harbaugh when he left the Niners to go to Michigan. 

34 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

This is simply not true. Parcells left the Pats and Cowboys in similar fashion. That was a case of Parcells being Parcells. He was always looking for a better deal elsewhere no matter where he worked. 

Groh left because his alma mater offered him the HC job there. It was his dream job, similar to Harbaugh when he left the Niners to go to Michigan. 

True.  When I interviewed Cascadden about that a few years ago he said the offer to Groh was so unreal that he thinks Parcells even advised him to take it.

30 minutes ago, AFJF said:

True.  When I interviewed Cascadden about that a few years ago he said the offer to Groh was so unreal that he thinks Parcells even advised him to take it.

Makes sense. 

The Jets (and especially Woody) give us plenty of ammo to bash them with. There's no need for us to resort to making stuff up in order to do it. 

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

We dont need a "big time" coach. We need a good coach that doesn't view offense as a disease, and believes in teaching and development.

Can you give us the names these good (not big time) coaches you speak of?

2 hours ago, j4jets said:

There's still a bright side. You can't mess this up and there's only one way you can go when you hit rock bottom with schmucks like Mac n Bowles. So Woody, Chris or John Doe, we'll be guaranteed to not be any worse than last time around. 

...said during the tenures of every head coach over the last 20 years.  

9 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Can someone please explain what the purpose of last season was regarding Hack? What I mean is, what was the point of keeping this kid in a football coma for an entire season, then expecting him to magically win a starting job in a PS with a $hit OL under a new OC, all after having never even gotten practice reps through all of last season? 

I don't think there was ever an expectation that he would win the job in camp this year, when looking at things at the start of last season. Fitz was God, and would be in place for 2016, 2017, and then depending on Hack's progress / other draft picks, the transition would start to happen in 2018. Meanwhile we continue to compete for the play offs.

They never anticipated the mess that was last year, so didn't have a Plan B for when the wheels came off. When they did, the only option was to blow it all up and essentially write off the 2017 season. Which is where we are now.

15 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Phil I dont think putting Petty ahead of Hack on the depth chart is overrating him by any means.

I dont know if there is any roster Hack would be #2 on.

This just reeks of Macc refusing to concede his project QB was a gamble that he lost.

at some point they are going to take a long look, and that is just that.  It is in the cards

49 minutes ago, nycdan said:

...said during the tenures of every head coach over the last 20 years.  

We've finally hit rock bottom...again. 

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

I don't think there was ever an expectation that he would win the job in camp this year, when looking at things at the start of last season. Fitz was God, and would be in place for 2016, 2017, and then depending on Hack's progress / other draft picks, the transition would start to happen in 2018. Meanwhile we continue to compete for the play offs.

They never anticipated the mess that was last year, so didn't have a Plan B for when the wheels came off. When they did, the only option was to blow it all up and essentially write off the 2017 season. Which is where we are now.

I am assuming this is some kind of crazy joke?  If they thought that Fitzpatrick was going to be here in 2017, why was he only signed for 2016?  Sound planning.  That makes even less sense than not having a Plan B. 

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There's no way Bowles is making the call on the QBs and the only reason McCown is starting is because Hackenberg embarrassed himself repeatedly. If Hackenberg is, in fact, the #2 QB on Sunday, it will be political, and the team will collapse upon itself rather quickly as a result. In that scenario, John Morton is going to be your head coach before the season is over. 

When Bowles said "it was too close to call between Hack and Petty" I got flashbacks to some of the ridiculous statements Sean Spicer had to make where everyone in the room, including him, knew it was a load of bullsh*t but his job was to say it out loud anyway.  Sadly, this seems to have become the new norm in our society.  Say things no rational person believes enough times and attack anyone that uses facts to disagree.

Several people seem annoyed that this has become a discussion even (backup QB, who cares!) but is there anyone on the board that thinks it was 'too close to call', let alone that Hack was better?  I don't think I've ever seen a team so desperate to be right about a 2nd round pick before.  

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am assuming this is some kind of crazy joke?  If they thought that Fitzpatrick was going to be here in 2017, why was he only signed for 2016?  Sound planning.  That makes even less sense than not having a Plan B. 

People bash Macc over the Fitz contract but it was Todd freaking Bowles who told the media that Fitzpatrick was the Jets starting QB in 2016 even though he wasn't even under contract & a free agent. Now that folks was asinine of Bowles. I wanted the Jets to say FU to Fitz when Foles was let go & ould have been been picked up for 1.8 million. Hindsight being 20/20 my move would have been the RIGHT MOVE, and we probably end up under .500 anyway but you guys know FULL WELL if Macc did not resign Fitz & even if we ended at 7-9, the fans would have been asking to have Macc strung up in times square for not resigning Fitz.

Macc was in a NO WIN situation in 2016. My god, the Jets were news, Fitz was the Amish rifle, bearded Tshirts showing up, Mangold & Decker at Ranger games with him. Talk about leverage, say what you want about Macc but he was totally pushed into a corner regarding Ryan Fitzpatrick.

His job is not to get pushed around.  Especially by guys with contracts he drafted.  Todd Bowles pushed someone around?  Whatever floats your boat.  OTOH, the post I was responding to claimed that Maccagnan's plan was Fitzpatrick for 2016 and 2017 transitioning to Hackenberg in 2018.  Stupid a plan as that may be, can you agree that if that was your plan signing Fitzpatrick for one year does not further it? 

19 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

well, when you can't even name a starter for preseason games, this is easier to understand.

Good teams spend the preseason fine-tuning their offense.

Jets spend the entire offseason/preseason playing pin-the-tail-on-the-undeveloped QB. It continues thru regular season too. Year after year after f'king year.   

Blowes is being truthful, he can't tell one untouched canvas from the other.

19 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

When every pick he's made (other than Leonard Williams) seems to range between off-the-team, sucks, and marginally competent... I think it's safe to call all of his picks busts, except the one gift-wrapped by Scot McClown from the Redskins.

When every student flunks a course it's time to question the teacher(s).

38 minutes ago, jetrider said:

When every student flunks a course it's time to question the teacher(s).

Gifted students excel, in spite of the teachers.

Regardless, nobody involved with the Jets is doing their job well. No real point in splitting hairs over the cause/effect or faults. It's all of them.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Gifted students excel, in spite of the teachers.

Regardless, nobody involved with the Jets is doing their job well. No real point in splitting hairs over the cause/effect or faults. It's all of them.

Does anyone think that Todd Bowles won't have a more successful "post-Jets" career than the majority of Macc's draft picks?

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Sadly, this seems to have become the new norm in our society.  Say things no rational person believes enough times and attack anyone that uses facts to disagree.

Are you suggesting that society has learned it's new norm from message boards?  :D

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

Woody seems to be the force that makes everything you described not possible. Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick both ran away. Hell even Al Groh ran away. Think about that. Two coaches in a row quit. I can't remember any coach quitting any job ever. It happened twice in a row to Woody.

IIRC at the time Belichick ran away Woody wasn't yet the owner. He and Dolan were still playing one-up each other (though ultimately Dolan didn't leapfrog Woody that last time, he still had days to do so after BB handed in his napkin). Could be that Dolan scared him away, since he was already spread thin enough between the Rangers, Knicks, MSG in general, and oh yeah Cablevision. 2 other teams rejected his ownership bids before the Jets. Woody submitted his (sealed) winning bid on the day Parcells stepped down, but by then he already had a deal ironed out with Kraft. It's not like Hess had cemented himself as a great HC magnet; he did eventually get Parcells in, but that was driven as much as anything else by a Parcells-Kraft rift in the first place and Parcells went to the place it would piss off Kraft the most, in an area he was already revered like royalty from his Giants years. 

Also I don't think Woody had anything to do with Groh leaving a year later. Groh just wasn't cut out for being an NFL HC (let alone in our media hub; he couldn't handle the media in Virginia either). I'd believe otherwise if he even interviewed for another NFL HC position. The closest he came to another position at the pro level was almost getting the DC position in Miami, and even that was only because of Parcells as well.

But yeah, even freaking Herm Edwards ran away. I don't know which is worse: that Woody couldn't convince Herm Edwards to stay, or that he wanted Herm Edwards to stay. 

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

When Bowles said "it was too close to call between Hack and Petty" I got flashbacks to some of the ridiculous statements Sean Spicer had to make where everyone in the room, including him, knew it was a load of bullsh*t but his job was to say it out loud anyway.  Sadly, this seems to have become the new norm in our society.  Say things no rational person believes enough times and attack anyone that uses facts to disagree.

Several people seem annoyed that this has become a discussion even (backup QB, who cares!) but is there anyone on the board that thinks it was 'too close to call', let alone that Hack was better?  I don't think I've ever seen a team so desperate to be right about a 2nd round pick before.  

Brainwashing 101. What is 2 plus 2?....4...Electric shock...what is 2 plus 2?

Once they get you to believe something you know from experience to be untrue then your mind is theirs. 

What color is the sky?

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

IIRC at the time Belichick ran away Woody wasn't yet the owner. He and Dolan were still playing one-up each other (though ultimately Dolan didn't leapfrog Woody that last time, he still had days to do so after BB handed in his napkin). Could be that Dolan scared him away, since he was already spread thin enough between the Rangers, Knicks, MSG in general, and oh yeah Cablevision. 2 other teams rejected his ownership bids before the Jets. Woody submitted his (sealed) winning bid on the day Parcells stepped down, but by then he already had a deal ironed out with Kraft. It's not like Hess had cemented himself as a great HC magnet; he did eventually get Parcells in, but that was driven as much as anything else by a Parcells-Kraft rift in the first place and Parcells went to the place it would piss off Kraft the most, in an area he was already revered like royalty from his Giants years. 

Also I don't think Woody had anything to do with Groh leaving a year later. Groh just wasn't cut out for being an NFL HC (let alone in our media hub; he couldn't handle the media in Virginia either). I'd believe otherwise if he even interviewed for another NFL HC position. The closest he came to another position at the pro level was almost getting the DC position in Miami, and even that was only because of Parcells as well.

But yeah, even freaking Herm Edwards ran away. I don't know which is worse: that Woody couldn't convince Herm Edwards to stay, or that he wanted Herm Edwards to stay. 

We traded Herm for a 4th round pick. that has to be one of the best deals ever made. Can't fault Woody for that.

7 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

We traded Herm for a 4th round pick. that has to be one of the best deals ever made. Can't fault Woody for that.

That's the result. And frankly, even though I'd have been fine if he was fired well before that, getting only a 4th round pick after another team blatantly tampered with our under-contract coach was laughable compensation when you look at what other teams were awarded. This is how much clout and pull Woody Johnson has.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That's the result. And frankly, even though I'd have been fine if he was fired well before that, getting only a 4th round pick after another team blatantly tampered with our under-contract coach was laughable compensation when you look at what other teams were awarded.

Would someone please tamper with Bowles..Please. 

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

They resigned Fitz to a two year deal that would have had him here this year if he hadn't utterly stunk the joint up last year.