Jets vs Bills Week 1 Preview

JetNation

IMG_5877.jpg

The Jets get ready to kick off the 2017 season with a trip up to Orchard Park to take on the division rival Buffalo Bills. Both teams are viewed as top competitors for the number one pick in the 2018 draft, but none of that will mean anything on Sunday when both teams sitting at 0-0, look to start their respective seasons on the right foot.

Who: NY Jets (0-0) vs Buffalo Bills (0-0)

When: Sunday at 1pm

Where: New Era Stadium

Point Spread: Jets +9

The Coaches: 

Todd Bowles starts his third season at the helm for the Jets with a cumulative record of 15-17 and no playoff appearances.  An offseason roster overhaul has left the Jets with plenty of young potential, but few established play makers.  Bowles is viewed by some as already being on the hot seat, though ownership has said that the playoffs aren’t a mandate, which is good news for Bowles.  For the third year coach, the season will be all about preparation, effort and development.

IMG_2042-300x197.jpg

Jets head coach Todd Bowles will look to silence the critics with a strong showing in Buffalo.

After spending the last 8 seasons of his coaching career as a defensive coordinator for the Philadelphia Eagles and Carolina Panthers, Sean McDermott enters the season wearing the head coach title for the first time.  Like the Jets, the Bills have jettisoned much of their top talent this off-season, so there will be challenges ahead.

Players and Match ups to watch:

WR Robby Anderson vs CB Tre’Davious White: The Bills’ first round draft chioce, White will likely see his fair share of time going head-to-head with the Jets’ new number one receiver in Anderson who spent almost all of last season beating secondaries deep down the field but coming away with nothing to show for it as Ryan Fitzpatrick wasn’t able to put enough on the ball to get it to Anderson.  Nobody is going to confuse Josh McCown’s arm with Brett Favre’s, but he’ll throw a better deep ball than Fitzpatrick, ,giving Anderson a fighting chance.

C Wesley Johnson vs Bills DT’s

No matter who lines up over Johnson on a given play, he has to do a better job than he did this pre-season or the pocket will be collapsing around Josh McCown early and often, and they’ll be no rhythm in the running game.

LT Kelvin Beachum and Jets starting right tackle vs DL Jerry Hughes and DL Shaq Lawson– For strategic purposes, Todd Bowles has refused to tip his hand as to who his starting right tackle will be on Sunday.  Whoever it is, they’re likely to have their hands full as Hughes and Lawson could pose a problem for Beachum and either Brandon Shell, Brent Qvale or Ben Ijalana.  For all of the concerns about the quarterback position, Beachum struggled in pass protection last season with Jacksonville, and if he can’t keep the quarterback safe this season, it won’t matter all that much who’s under center.

IMG_4068-300x259.jpg

The speedy Zay Jones could pose some problems for Jets cornerback Juston Burris.

CB Juston Burris and Marcus Maye vs WR Zay Jones: Jones and his 4.45 speed could be an issue for Juston Burris if the physical cornerback isn’t able to get a jam at the line of scrimmage.  Jones will be catching balls from a very good deep ball passer in Tyrod Taylor and while Burris has been mostly good this pre-season, he has struggled when matched up with speedy Jets receiver Robby Anderson.

Rookie safety Marcus Maye becomes part of the equation if asked to help Burris on deep shots down the field.  Maye has looked impressive in camp, but has been vulnerable to the deep ball in college, something we haven’t seen him defend much this preseason.

DL Leonard Williams vs C Eric Wood: Ascending star Leonard Williams will face off against the stellar Eric Wood in the middle of it all on Sunday.  If the Jets can’t slow down Buffalo’s Shady McCoy early on, Buffalo will keep going to him as long as it’s working.  If Williams (and Steve McClendon) can move Wood off his spot early on, the Bills will have to adjust.  McCoy will also be a threat as a receiver out of the backfield, and that’s where our next match up picks up.

Demario Davis and Darron Lee vs RB Shady McCoy and TE Charles Clay:  Davis has been exposed in the past in coverage and the Bills will look to do it again on Sunday.  McCoy will be a handful for Davis if the Bills are able to get the two in an isolated match up.

Clay is an oft injured but very underrated weapon in the passing game.  Look for the Bills to utilize Clay and McCoy based on where Davis lines up.  Lee, while the more athletic of the two jets inside ‘backers, will have to prove that he’s improved enough from year one to make teams shy away from throwing his way.  Until that happens, he’ll be targeted in the passing game as well.

Thoughts on these match ups?  Key players to watch of your own?  Log in to our forums here and share your thoughts.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
MIzc37-4Sjc

Click here to read the full story...

I predict the 7 inactive players will be.....

OFFENSE  
    9 - Bryce Petty 6'3" 230 Baylor (QB) 
    86 - Jordan Leggett 6'5" 258 Clemson (TE)
    85 - Neal Sterling  6'3" 257 Monmouth (TE)
    14 - Jeremy Kerley  5'9" 188 TCU (Released by 49ers) (WR)  
    70 - Dakota Dozier 6'4" 313 Furman (C/G/T) 

DEFENSE
    54 - Bruce Carter 6'2" 240 North Carolina  (ILB) 
    45 - Rontez Miles 6'1" 210 California (PA) (S) 

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I predict the 7 inactive players will be.....

OFFENSE  
    9 - Bryce Petty 6'3" 230 Baylor (QB) 
    86 - Jordan Leggett 6'5" 258 Clemson (TE)
    85 - Neal Sterling  6'3" 257 Monmouth (TE)
    14 - Jeremy Kerley  5'9" 188 TCU (Released by 49ers) (WR)  
    70 - Dakota Dozier 6'4" 313 Furman (C/G/T) 

DEFENSE
    54 - Bruce Carter 6'2" 240 North Carolina  (ILB) 
    45 - Rontez Miles 6'1" 210 California (PA) (S) 

Even having as little faith as I do in Bowles, I don't think that even he can put Hack over Petty on the depth chart with a straight face.

2 hours ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

Is Petty recovered from injury enough to play if needed?

Bowles says he was a full go yesterday and injury will have no impact on depth chart.  He's good to go.

16 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I know in my heart that this team will be terrible... But until I see them on the field I can't shake this last bit of feeling that they'll at least be competitive for a bit out there.

Bills 24 

Jets 19

I think it's close early...13-10 kind of score.  Then Buffalo puts up a couple TDs on a tired defense.

I still think Buffalos offense can put up points. Outside of Watkins, who was hurt a good amount last year, who have they lost? Shady is a year older & they drafted Zay Jones & if he plays Jordan Matthews is a solid receiver. Add in Charles Clay who can also be a game changer when he's healthy. 

I see the same thing happening this year as it did last year. Offense struggles, defense does well early but because they are on the field too often they start making mental mistakes and Buffalo gets a couple TDs

Bills - 28 Jets - 14

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Bowles says he was a full go yesterday and injury will have no impact on depth chart.  He's good to go.

They should have Petty as the backup, and I am in the minority but I think Hack should be active as well. I can see the Jets needing 3 guys in a game because of injuries, this line is scary.

But if they are only keeping two, which they will do, it should be McCown and Petty.

I haven't given up on Hack like everyone else yet but he definitely needs more time.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

They should have Petty as the backup, and I am in the minority but I think Hack should be active as well. I can see the Jets needing 3 guys in a game because of injuries, this line is scary.

But if they are only keeping two, which they will do, it should be McCown and Petty.

I haven't given up on Hack like everyone else yet but he definitely needs more time.

I don't see how they don't activate all three.  McCown and Petty have had too many injuries to only go with two QBs behind this line.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I don't see how they don't activate all three.  McCown and Petty have had too many injuries to only go with two QBs behind this line.

I wish they would expand the game day rosters a bit and make things like this more of a reality.

This game is all about the Bills tough Oline vs our defensive front. Bills are one of the only teams returning all 5 guys intact. THAT is gonna be a tall order for our young defense to cope with. So stopping the running game is FOR SURE Todd Bowles #1 objective.

When I look at the matchups at the skill positions the only real spead of talent is at RB, but Powells no slouch when the games mean something. I think with us getting Kearse & Kerley we actually have more experience at the position now & Tye at TE though an average guy is like NIGHT & DAY to what we had at TE last year.

Zay Jones? Clay? that's supposed to be scary? uh, I don't see it. Jets have huge advantage at WR with Kearse/Kerley/Anderson/Stewart. At least Anderson has already proven himself a bit, and looked real good in camp & preseason. Kearse & Kerley are good at sitting in zones, moving the chains. This isn't as lopsided as people are making it out to be. Like I said, Bills Oline is very good. Morton needs to try to stretch the field a bit (Fitz had success & now they don't have Gilmore).

I am predicting delicious smoked ribs and now I am thinking Cuban Sandwiches at my place. Also, a hangover for Monday. Which reminds me - go make sure work calendar is not too aggressive Monday until 10ish.

I think this team is legendarily bad. That said, let's go J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

3 hours ago, stoicsentry said:

Wow, we're 8.5 point underdogs (5.5 on a neutral field) against a team that's tanking the season. That's incredible. I think we cover that spread pretty easily, but it's terrifying that it's that high.

Maybe I'm just blind being a homer Jet fan but other than the top teams in this league the entire NFL just isn't that good anyway. I could be wrong & maybe I get a reality check on Sunday but right now I'm thinking if just a couple of things go right (create a couple turnovers, Oline does better than expected in the running game), that we'll have a chance vs Buffalo, Miami @ home, Jags @ home, Browns. So while the media is talking 0-16 to 3 wins total, in this watered down league it's not out of the realm of possibility with a few lucky breaks that the Jets, if they could pull out a win Sunday could have 4 wins in 5 games. 

Odds obviously are against them but stranger things have happened in this league & if McCown doesn't get hurt, I could see him being better than Fitz in a short spurt. I remember him slicing & dicing the Jets in 2014 before we took him for a helicopter ride. If he doesn't get hurt in that game you could tell the Browns would have probably killed us.

Or we just might be as bad as everyone says we are. I just see a lot more depth than we've had in a while even though are front line players or really young other than QB. I think Macc did well grabbing Will Tye, Kerley, trading for Kearse. We went from Robbie Anderson & a bunch of neophytes to having 2 veterans that will be good at finding holes in zones in this WCO. While Forte is older, he's still good in spots as a spot player for Powell. This is far from the Salas, Clowney, Sudfeld group! 

As long as management, coaches and fans understand tomorrow is prep for 2018, we're golden!

My worry is that the coaches may not be on board.  If that's the case, hopefully management is working directly with some key players to make sure we don't get any wins.  Perhaps some extra bonus money?  Or maybe that's why Mccown was paid so much already.

Jets 17

Bills 23

Hopefully development of youth continues, but gotta start the season off right with a nice loss.

The Bills dline will give our online trouble.  The Jets will have a hard time running against anyone, particularly this team.

It will also be had to defend against the Bills RB/TEs, even with the Jets dline.  That is one of the issues with investing in a dline.

Zay Jones will be better than people expect.   

But both teams are supposedly tanking   

Season openers are neither predictable nor predictive. That being said, the Jets will suck this year regardless of the outcome of this game between two teams in shambles. I'd give Buffalo the edge for the simple reason that the Jets have not shown they can run the ball or protect the QB. And their field goal kicker sucks too. Not easy to wave the Jets flag in those circumstances.

Archived