Considering WFAN's current problems ,

Super Bowl before I die

Francesa recently said he's open to a one year extension but after Carton's arrest he will hold WFAN's feet to the fire.  If I was WFAN this is what I would do:

Mornings: Fire Carton, sign Opie (who is a Jets fan and looking for a job) and team him up with Boomer

Mid-Day: Committee

Afternoons: Joe and Evan

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2017 at 6:12 PM, Philc1 said:

Francesa recently said he's open to a one year extension but after Carton's arrest he will hold WFAN's feet to the fire.  If I was WFAN this is what I would do:

Mornings: Fire Carton, sign Opie (who is a Jets fan and looking for a job) and team him up with Boomer

Mid-Day: Committee

Afternoons: Joe and Evan

Opie was carried for years by Anthony. No way would WFAN take a shot on him. They need a safer bet.

• 3 months later...

I tried listening to the afternoon drive show but Maggie, Scott, and Carlin mix like oil, water, and bleach. I stopped listening after Scott referred to chest hair as taco meat. I am doing a 30 SiriusXm subscription and have been listing to Mad Dog Unleashed. It's nice to hear someone say "thank you for calliing, what do have for me today?" Russo is the exact opposite of Francesca with the callers. 

7 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I tried listening to the afternoon drive show but Maggie, Scott, and Carlin mix like oil, water, and bleach. I stopped listening after Scott referred to chest hair as taco meat. I am doing a 30 SiriusXm subscription and have been listing to Mad Dog Unleashed. It's nice to hear someone say "thank you for calliing, what do have for me today?" Russo is the exact opposite of Francesca with the callers. 

I’ve only listened to the new show on YT clips and what I have heard is nothing but horrible.  Bart Scott is not funny, he’s an idiot and worst of all he’s a cheerleader for Bowles and Macagnan.  Maggie Gray is terrible.  You know things are bad when Chris Carlin is the voice of reason

11 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I’ve only listened to the new show on YT clips and what I have heard is nothing but horrible.  Bart Scott is not funny, he’s an idiot and worst of all he’s a cheerleader for Bowles and Macagnan.  Maggie Gray is terrible.  You know things are bad when Chris Carlin is the voice of reason

This show was clearly set up to fail. There is no way that WFAN thought that three knuckleheads were going to pull any ratings coming in as a replacement for Francesca. They are being used as sacrificial lambs to make the next host(s) look like a knight in shining armor. 

Usually listen to music, but today I have left it on.

Maggie What ever Her Name Is is terrible.Bluntly don't care what she thinks, she is as radio people say, "The Hole". That's not a compliment. And it sounds like she needs to blow her nose all day. 

May be if Carlin and Bart could simply talk a bit instead of having to include her, they might have something. Meantime I'm about 5 minutes from putting on IHeart or some other music. 

On 1/19/2018 at 8:10 AM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

This show was clearly set up to fail. There is no way that WFAN thought that three knuckleheads were going to pull any ratings coming in as a replacement for Francesca. They are being used as sacrificial lambs to make the next host(s) look like a knight in shining armor. 

When you try to appeal to everybody you appeal to no one. They went the ESPN route which basically leaves the core audience in the dust.

48 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

When you try to appeal to everybody you appeal to no one. They went the ESPN route which basically leaves the core audience in the dust.

Does anyone know any woman who has ever listened voluntarily or by choice to a sports talk radio show? I do not. 

37 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Does anyone know any woman who has ever listened voluntarily or by choice to a sports talk radio show? I do not. 

I think Disney/ESPN has conceded the fact that the ESPN network is basically done with all of the cord cutting etc. They'll run bare bones and Disney will just allow them to be another political arm/social campaign for them and not care that it loses money. WFAN/CBS following that type of formula however is crazy.   

7 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Disclaimer: Bart Scott is the greatest thing on radio. 

But I agree he needs to be paired with somebody else. Brandon Turney maybe?

I mean....Jordan vs Brady is such the dumbest debate even 5th graders are laughing at them.

Looking forward to the Pete Rose HOF segment.

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2018 at 5:52 PM, T0mShane said:

Just listened to five minute if the FAN and it sounded like a couple of drunks butt-dialed the radio station while doing bad Stephen A Smith impressions. 

This. It's really bad. 

I genuinely like Bart Scott but the pairing w the other two is so bad. 

So bad

11 minutes ago, HessStation said:

This. It's really bad. 

I genuinely like Bart Scott but the pairing w the other two is so bad. 

So bad

I legitimately took WFAN off the presets. Also, turned the radio on at lunch the other day and Stephen A Smith was literally screaming into the microphone about something, which I was finally able to make out was that he was a Knicks fan and he wouldn’t apologize for it. That was it. Just like three minutes of yelling about how he was a Knicks fan and that we should come at him or something. 

Yesterday tuned in hoping to hear some NCAA only to hear the 3 telling me what they could've simply tuned into instead of telling us, interrupted by house bound shut ins calling about the Mets.We don't need the setup, run the games.  If you have radio rights to these first 2 days of the NCAA and you aren't running it, you are idiots. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

I legitimately took WFAN off the presets. Also, turned the radio on at lunch the other day and Stephen A Smith was literally screaming into the microphone about something, which I was finally able to make out was that he was a Knicks fan and he wouldn’t apologize for it. That was it. Just like three minutes of yelling about how he was a Knicks fan and that we should come at him or something. 

It sucks I just did too.its just 3 people who agree on every topic. Even when I agree with them I want to change my mind.And how is Chris Carlin's voice allowed on the radio. She's bad but he's unlistenable. 

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

It sucks I just did too.its just 3 people who agree on every topic. Even when I agree with them I want to change my mind.And how is Chris Carlin's voice allowed on the radio. She's bad but he's unlistenable. 

Carlin wasn’t bad when it was him and Kim Jones just talking sports, but he’s not cut out for what he’s trying to do there, which is gin up debate. He’s just not good at doing that kind of sh*t and it comes off as phony. I’d bet that show would be a lot better if they dumped the woman and just let Carlin and Bart talk about sports like regular people do. The way Francesa was able to manipulate his audience was a gift that can’t be replicated. 

Yup, they're bad, they're real bad.

I've tried but my brain simply can't tolerate more than 10 minutes of them trying to "out do" one another.

The girl sounds knowledgeable but the two guys are often times in cohesive. I simply don't understand why they're on the air together. They don't bring anything interesting to the table. What I don't get is why they're trying over sensationalized Sports when all they got to do is talk about it. That's all we afternoon listeners want. We want to talk about sports. Everything on wfan now sounds like a tabloid show.

Oh well, I guess that's what getting the ratings nowadays.

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Carlin wasn’t bad when it was him and Kim Jones just talking sports, but he’s not cut out for what he’s trying to do there, which is gin up debate. He’s just not good at doing that kind of sh*t and it comes off as phony. I’d bet that show would be a lot better if they dumped the woman and just let Carlin and Bart talk about sports like regular people do. The way Francesa was able to manipulate his audience was a gift that can’t be replicated. 

I don't know. I think they're both just as bad. I realize there's no dream scenario anymore but actually, Kim Jones and Bart might work. 

First off, two people, three is seriously a crowd. And with different points of views, not on everything, don't fake it, but listening to these three pontificate their same personal views on sh*t I don't even care about...it's straight creepy

I agree the Afternoon Drive show with CMB is terrible but, so far, I think they've pretty much maintained Francesa's ratings.  I guess maybe it makes some sense when the other (free) option for sports talk during that time is Michael Kay.

Archived