Jump to content

Recommended Posts

If we look back at this team in 5 years, where do you think they'll rank in terms of "worst teams ever"...

I'll be honest at the moment that - although I know they'll be terrible - I'm having trouble really finding a solid comparison for them. Are they 08 Lions/16 Browns/76 Bucs bad?... Or more of the 08 Chiefs/05 Texans/01 Lions?

Here's just a fox link of their worst... 

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/the-16-worst-teams-in-modern-nfl-history-ranked-111416

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Beerfish said:

Not close to the worst as the dense should prevent big pummelings.

That's what I'm thinking too... A lot of the descriptions on these lists talk about how many points their defense allowed... I sort of expect the Jets to finish middle-ish of the pack there. The offense might be ugly but I do like to think the defense will hold it's own most of the time...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Awww you're cute.

I think it's a pretty legit thing to wonder about, but hey, to each their own. 

I was talking to my son about that exact thing. I think the defense will mask some of it but the offense will bring them down to "please make it stop" bad. Would love to be surprised, but I don't think so.

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Crusher said:

I was talking to my son about that exact thing. I think the defense will mask some of it but the offense will bring them down to "please make it stop" bad. Would love to be surprised, but I don't think so.

Ya one of the teams on that list that my eyes keep going to are the 06 Raiders... They only scored 168 points that season... I don't think their defense was stellar either, but obviously that was the big story what defined them... Could be looking at something similar...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If we are bad enough to get our franchise QB, nobody will give a crap about what we had to do to get there.  

No one was reminiscing the Kotite years when Vinny T and the Jets were rolling through everyone on their way to the AFC title game.  Just like no one gave a crap and talked about Bollinger when Rex and Co. were dominating.

Thinking about your worst seasons is something you do during your worst seasons.  If the Jets go 0-16, it won't be their worst season.  Going 4-12 and picking 6 when there are two franchise QBs in the draft is a much worse season.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I was talking to my son about that exact thing. I think the defense will mask some of it but the offense will bring them down to "please make it stop" bad. Would love to be surprised, but I don't think so.

Prepare to be surprised, heavyset.  This talk about them being historically bad is ridiculous.  

Fitz was historically bad last year and they still managed to win 5 games.  McCown > Fitz.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pcola said:

If we are bad enough to get our franchise QB, nobody will give a crap about what we had to do to get there.  

No one was reminiscing the Kotite years when Vinny T and the Jets were rolling through everyone on their way to the AFC title game.  Just like no one gave a crap and talked about Bollinger when Rex and Co. were dominating.

Thinking about your worst seasons is something you do during your worst seasons.  If the Jets go 0-16, it won't be their worst season.  Going 4-12 and picking 6 when there are two franchise QBs in the draft is a much worse season.

I completely agree with you... For me right now, it's actually not so much thinking about how I'll think about them in the future... 

It's more about the expectations I go INTO this season with... You're right that as the seasons move on, there won't be much reminiscing about things.

But today, a few days before the open, I'm trying to settle myself into an outlook, so I'm trying to use past teams as a gauge.

We know they won't be very good, but I still can't get a handle on just what it's going to look like as the games happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Pac said:

Prepare to be surprised, heavyset.  This talk about them being historically bad is ridiculous.  

Fitz was historically bad last year and they still managed to win 5 games.  McCown > Fitz.

Would love to be. I just cannot wrap my big fat bacon soaked brain around how the hell we gonna score. I can see our defense hanging tough but can they be tough enough to win games when we score less than 17 points a game?

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Pac said:

Prepare to be surprised, heavyset.  This talk about them being historically bad is ridiculous.  

Fitz was historically bad last year and they still managed to win 5 games.  McCown > Fitz.

I agree 100%

I think this team will surprise many detractors. Obviously, the offense will hold this team back, but the defense should keep them in a lot of games. Like it or now, barring injury, I think this team could very well win 8 games. But I certainly don't see them winning less than 4 games.

They have a vet QB who knows the system and can manage the game and they have a young, talented (albeit unproven), hungry group of WRs. Although they lost Enunwa, adding J.Kearse helps. If the offensive line can get into a rhythm and/or develop some chemistry, their offense will be good enough to pull out some wins. Defense looks like it will be much better than last year- especially in the secondary. I think losing Richardson will not hurt the team as much as adding Kearse will help the team.

I'm not expecting playoffs and I fully understand that things can go south fast. But I see this as a tight knit group of young players led by a smart, charismatic veteran QB, that are going to have an us against the world mentality every week.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Would love to be. I just cannot wrap my big fat bacon soaked brain around how the hell we gonna score. I can see our defense hanging tough but can they be tough enough to win games when we score less than 17 points a game?

Even the filed goal kicker looks shaky. Might not be able to get 3 points on stalled drives if we can drive at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

Even the filed goal kicker looks shaky. Might not be able to get 3 points on stalled drives if we can drive at all.

I'm not trying to perpetuate the negativity but I honestly can't see how we score. At all basically.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I completely agree with you... For me right now, it's actually not so much thinking about how I'll think about them in the future... 

It's more about the expectations I go INTO this season with... You're right that as the seasons move on, there won't be much reminiscing about things.

But today, a few days before the open, I'm trying to settle myself into an outlook, so I'm trying to use past teams as a gauge.

We know they won't be very good, but I still can't get a handle on just what it's going to look like as the games happen. 

Good points.  On the grand scheme of things, I'll take this team, similar to the 1995 team, no expectations, very young, played with effort, and even found a couple of guys that were future leaders.  What turns me off are teams like last year, similar to the 1996 team, where they greatly underperformed compared to expectations, had a ton of veterans that for too many of them, didn't work out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pcola said:

If we are bad enough to get our franchise QB, nobody will give a crap about what we had to do to get there.  

No one was reminiscing the Kotite years when Vinny T and the Jets were rolling through everyone on their way to the AFC title game.  Just like no one gave a crap and talked about Bollinger when Rex and Co. were dominating.

Thinking about your worst seasons is something you do during your worst seasons.  If the Jets go 0-16, it won't be their worst season.  Going 4-12 and picking 6 when there are two franchise QBs in the draft is a much worse season.

@Fred Jetstone stopped?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I'm not trying to perpetuate the negativity but I honestly can't see how we score. At all basically.

I can't agree more. Not sure how they score more than 17 ppg.

17 ppg game = 32 field goals and 25 tds on the year.

If the RBs score 5-7 TDs rushing, that means McCown/QBs have to throw for 18-20 TDs. I don't see how on Earth that is even possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mtwarlock31 said:

I can't agree more. Not sure how they score more than 17 ppg.

17 ppg game = 32 field goals and 25 tds on the year.

If the RBs score 5-7 TDs rushing, that means McCown/QBs have to throw for 18-20 TDs. I don't see how on Earth that is even possible.

Well he'd better get them fast because you can't throw a TD from IR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DMan77 said:

If we look back at this team in 5 years, where do you think they'll rank in terms of "worst teams ever"...

I'll be honest at the moment that - although I know they'll be terrible - I'm having trouble really finding a solid comparison for them. Are they 08 Lions/16 Browns/76 Bucs bad?... Or more of the 08 Chiefs/05 Texans/01 Lions?

Here's just a fox link of their worst... 

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/the-16-worst-teams-in-modern-nfl-history-ranked-111416

I don't think they'll rate in the "all time bad" list.

I think they will be boringly mediocre (4-5 wins) by seasons end, and pick somewhere in the 6th to 10th range.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Truly bad teams are not only drive by lesser talent. Truly  bad teams are functions of inertia: a combo of bad luck, bad play and bad coaching that spirals down into divisieness, the team being torn apart in the locker room (sometimes) and just lowering their effort to not get hurt (often especially on really on vet teams)

We have a team of young players all in the same bunker, and have our easy games earlier. This team will fight hard together for 960 minutes. Surprising teams are also driven by inertia but in the opposite direction. A little luck here, a convenient choke by the other team there, a couple players stepping up.

I think we will be the latter and be a surprise team. Our 6-8 wins will also keep our QB situation undecided for another half decade

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This team is disgracefully bad in terms of getting wins in today's NFL.  Macc has put together a team that lacks the key things you need in today's game.  A QB and weapons.

But other than that, the team is pretty solid.  Which is why I'm psyched for 2018.  A top draft pick, some extra picks and close to 100mil will be more than enough to plug the holes.

So yeah, we're horrible.  But it's a controlled/planned (desired) horrible.  

With that said, I can't really consider it an all time bad team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mtwarlock31 said:

I can't agree more. Not sure how they score more than 17 ppg.

17 ppg game = 32 field goals and 25 tds on the year.

If the RBs score 5-7 TDs rushing, that means McCown/QBs have to throw for 18-20 TDs. I don't see how on Earth that is even possible.

I'm trying to be optimistic and stuff. Actually you are just better at the math.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Would love to be. I just cannot wrap my big fat bacon soaked brain around how the hell we gonna score. I can see our defense hanging tough but can they be tough enough to win games when we score less than 17 points a game?

I agree.   There will be a lot of games that are 10-3 at the half, and the D just gets worn out, and Jets lose 24-6, crap like that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a good defensive line. That's where the strengths of the defense begin and end.

At linebacker, we're rolling out guys like DeMario Davis who we couldn't wait to get rid of a couple years back and Darron Lee who is bad both on and off the field.

At corner, the #1 is Morris Claiborne who can't play for more than half a season, and he's surrounded by a bunch of guys that are 4's, 5's or 6's on other teams.

At safety, two rookies with no talent behind them. Two rookies. Two rookies drafted by a guy who had one great pick in two years.

The offense, coaching and special teams are even worse.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...