Predict who gets the #1 pick

JohnnyLV

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/9/2017 at 3:12 PM, nycdan said:

Interesting article but it's heavily flawed because this isn't tanking for money ball issues it's ultimately about the QB.  This is the NFL's fault for making the QB so important.   Teams are in perpetual mediocrity when you don't have a legitimate franchise QB.  

You might put the Browns in this category as they've been tanking for 3 years now - but the Jets have attempted to be competitive, just didn't have the talent to win. 

This year they're going for one of those QB's - and while you're at that you might as well clear out older vets that won't around when your new QB is ready to win, save cap space and acquire draft picks for players you're not going to sign anyway.  

Mac's doing what's right here.  Tanking isn't a long term strategy.

Bottom line - you need the QB and then you have 15 years to build a winner around him.

Indy looked like they weren't even trying yesterday. I still think they tank in spectacular fashion, though we looked a little worse than I expected us to. We wont get it done with what we did yesterday,

Yea sure Indy looked like they were trying to tank but were they stop your interception from getting points on the board by tackling your own player tanking?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

11 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Yea sure Indy looked like they were trying to tank but were they stop your interception from getting points on the board by tackling your own player tanking?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Lol, it looked like that but the Buffalo player actually pushed Maye into Burris. It was an interesting play, though Buffalo could have been called for blocking in the back on it.  Plus it probably WAS a fumble so we got a little luckly on that.

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

In the race for #1, we have a weapon that no other team has.  Bowles.   As long as we don't screw up and replace him mid-season, we've got this.

Colts have pagano who is almost as bad as Bowles, if luck doesn't come back they would be our prime competition. Even with luck coming back they still may only win 4 games. 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Indy looked like they weren't even trying yesterday. I still think they tank in spectacular fashion, though we looked a little worse than I expected us to. We wont get it done with what we did yesterday,

The second Manning looked done: 1 win season, and #1 overall pick.

The second Luck looks like health might shorten his career, inbound 1 win season and #1 overall pick?

If that comes to pass, the NFL will have a rather serious problem on it's hands, because that is some serious WWF/WWE type sh*t.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The second Manning looked done: 1 win season, and #1 overall pick.

The second Luck looks like health might shorten his career, inbound 1 win season and #1 overall pick?

If that comes to pass, the NFL will have a rather serious problem on it's hands, because that is some serious WWF/WWE type sh*t.

The optics are already bad with the Jets, Browns and Bills all looking like they have set up to tank.  if the Colts and/or 49ers join the fray in a visible manner, this would be an unprecedented thing that could trigger discussion over a draft lottery to say the least.  There's good and bad that comes with that but it would be nice to be able to root to win games without knowing the crushing price you have to pay for actually trying to win.

One mechanic that would be interesting is if the league had the ability to dock draft slots rather than entire picks.  You get caught in an obvious uncompetitive move, your first round pick gets slid down a number of slots, e.g. you move from 1 to 6 and everyone in between moves up.  I don't think the league could use it wisely enough to avoid a ton of controversy, but something like that might cause teams to be less obvious down the stretch. 

I can't recall but wasn't there a week 17 game between the two worst teams a few years back that we all called the Tank Bowl? 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Interesting article but it's heavily flawed because this isn't tanking for money ball issues it's ultimately about the QB.  This is the NFL's fault for making the QB so important.   Teams are in perpetual mediocrity when you don't have a legitimate franchise QB.  

You might put the Browns in this category as they've been tanking for 3 years now - but the Jets have attempted to be competitive, just didn't have the talent to win. 

This year they're going for one of those QB's - and while you're at that you might as well clear out older vets that won't around when your new QB is ready to win, save cap space and acquire draft picks for players you're not going to sign anyway.  

Mac's doing what's right here.  Tanking isn't a long term strategy.

Bottom line - you need the QB and then you have 15 years to build a winner around him.

Fair points except the last one.  With our OL and running game, we won't have 15 games, let alone 15 years with a new QB.  Could be David Carr 2.0.

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

And what makes you think that will be the case, given all we know as of now?

That we'll have our act together? All I said was hopefully. I do think if we draft a QB in the first round we'll use a substantial amount of our huge $80 million + cap space to get skill talent and shore up the o-line. No way we let Darnold/Allen/Rosen go into 2018 with this squad.

As far as our biggest competition for the #1 pick after yesterday I think it's the 49ers. As awful as the Colts look I think Luck eventually comes back and once he does they'll win some games. Nobody else looks as hopeless/devoid of talent... And the 9ers need a QB.

On 9/10/2017 at 3:51 PM, nicg4360 said:

The 49ers are terrible but Hoyer can win some games for them they should otherwise have lost.
Luck is supposed to be back in 5-6 games so the Colts should get a few wins.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

Hoyer is even worse than McCown and Hackenberg.  Plus I don't know how they get any wins in that division the Seahawks and Rams will crush them and even the struggling Cardinals should be able to beat them unless Palmer is just dead.

I can see the Colts IR'ing Luck if they start out 0-6.

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Scott Tolzien makes McClown look semi-decent.

Hoyer is even worse than McCown and Hackenberg.  Plus I don't know how they get any wins in that division the Seahawks and Rams will crush them and even the struggling Cardinals should be able to beat them unless Palmer is just dead.

I can see the Colts IR'ing Luck if they start out 0-6.

I don't think Hoyer is that bad....he's kinda like Fitzpatrick.... absolutely god aweful at times and then surprises you and makes you think he can do something then BAM he sucks yet again.

Yea I fear that may happen with Luck especially if they go half the season winless what's the point in getting luck in there... midaswell get the high pick.

A couple of notes, of the teams on our schedule, so far in week one, only two teams have lost - The Pats* and Cleveland.  So we do have a pretty tough schedule.  On the other hand, we are not winning any tie breakers on strength of schedule.

On our competition, I do think SF is our biggest threat.  But there are some experts that think under Shanahan, Hoyer could throw for 4,000 yards.  

Of course, the Colts are a terrible organization and could end up pretty close to the worst team in the league.

But I honestly think both Darnold and Rosen are going to be franchise QBs so we don't neceswarily need to be picking #1.  I like Mayfield a lot but he needs a team similar to Seattle to be a star.

7 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

Your making it sound like I'm saying he's a good QB....I never did. I just said he has had his moments of being decent but for the most part has played the part of sucking it up.

And Browning Nagle looked like a franchise qb in his first ever game

23 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again NO team does, and NO fan base ACCEPTS the tank job for a QB better than The COLTS!!!!!

The Colts are not tanking for a QB. Luck will likely be back in October if recent reports are true.  Plenty of time for them to win a few games.

Archived