Jets delivered a message to Mo Wilkerson by trading away Sheldon

Scoop24

3 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Terrible contract that you have to assume Woody had his hand in as much as Macc.  

He is one of the highest paid players in the entire NFL and is basically just a guy at this point.   Anything short of total dominance and he's gone next year.   His money is better used on Cousins.  

yeah....Its a terrible contract now, but 80 percent of the board was threatening to by more billboard space if Mac didn't get Mo signed long term.

Perspective is a funny thing.

That said, it is a HUGE dead money cut if it went down this way, to the tune of $9 million, but if they were to ever do it, that would be the year...when you have over $75 million to spend elsewhere.

23 hours ago, PepPep said:

LOL He had one bad season coming off a broken leg. A season where EVERYONE played awful on defense (excluding L.Williams) and 1/2 the veterans quit. A season where the secondary was horrible and nobody on the line was able to get pressure on QBs. 

You are ignoring everything he did for this team from the day he was drafted and the great season he had before last year. Now anything short of total dominance and you cut him??? He's 'just a guy at this point'???? What are you smoking?

Glad you are not the GM. Very shortsighted. You would cut Tom Brady b/c the Pats lost against the Chiefs last night and he had ZERO TD's. Time to move on and bring in Garoppolo!   

Yes, I am ignoring everything he did in his first two seasons.  The NFL is about performance and in the salary cap era it's about price / performance not loyalty or fandom.   Wilkerson is one of the highest paid players in the NFL.   He makes more $ than JJ Watt and within spitting distance of Von Miller - two perennial candidates for DPOY.  My expectation is that Wilkerson lives up to pay, I wouldn't blindly pay him because PepPep is his biggest fan.   

I can assure you that I understand the dynamics of today's NFL as well or better than Mike Maccagnan.   Rather than focusing on safeties and undersized linebackers I would focus all of my draft efforts on the premium positions: QB, LT, DE/OLB, WR.   Notice that those are the 4 weakest positions on the Jets right now, so while you are glad that I'm not the GM the rest of Jet fandom would be much happier on Sunday if Woordrow had hired me instead of the last 2 buffoons he did hire.    

On 9/8/2017 at 11:14 AM, LionelRichie said:

Terrible contract that you have to assume Woody had his hand in as much as Macc.  

He is one of the highest paid players in the entire NFL and is basically just a guy at this point.   Anything short of total dominance and he's gone next year.   His money is better used on Cousins.  

he never had a motor, not a constant one.  He could do anything he wants out there if he played hard every down.  The press decided to love him no matter what his first few years and now they are dragging him down.  He has always been the same guy

On 9/8/2017 at 11:29 AM, PepPep said:

Ugh. Mehta is the worst. 

This team is young, energized, and have an us against the world mentality. Mo is now their veteran leader on defense and everyone (except some fans and turd buckets like Mehta), including the Jets brass are 100% behind him. 

But I recognize that this is a 'what have you done for me lately' league and you have to perform or be gone. So Macc was actually smart by structuring the contract in such a way that the Jets could cut bait without incurring a massive cap hit next year. I don't think people give Macc enough credit for the way he structures deals with an eye on the future. It doesn't always work out, but he makes sure the team has options. 

I expect Mo to bounce back, especially with improved play in the secondary. 

This team will surprise. Maybe even win 8 games. Deal with it. We're not getting the first pick in the draft unless we trade up. This team will be better than that. 

GO JETS. 

BTW- I predict McCown will end up being a great signing despite the vitriol it got from fans and pundits alike. He is a great veteran leader, knows the system and will keep the offense together and motivated. 

Seriously? A guy who is 37 and who has 2 wins in the last 3yrs? A guy who has an injury history like he does? If McCown starts more than 3 games it would surprise me. He was brought here to "mentor" the young guys not as the Starter. Hack is not ready and Petty is the back-up. Petty should get the bulk of the starts imo. Anything else is basically a waste and the rebuild is bullsh*t if McCown starts the whole season. What happens if the great McCown leads them to 8 wins as you predict? Do you then give him a sh*tzpatrick like deal? Come on. 8 wins? With this schedule they will be lucky to win between 1-3 games. Deal with it.

On 9/8/2017 at 0:04 PM, varjet said:

One definitely senses that the team could be better than expected, but when do the analysis game by game, it is tough to see more than a couple of wins.   Both could be against Buffalo.

There definitely appears to have been a resurgence in the NFL in strong team management.  When you look at other teams, you can see why people think the Jets are going to be so bad.   Virtually all of the other teams have better players.

Even Buffalo, for all their cutting, still has a bunch of talented players on their roster.   The Buffalo game is not an easy win either.

A couple of years ago when the Bills made that trade up for Sammy Watkins, I was thinking they were screwed for at least a few years.  Now they've got like 2 1sts, 2nds and 3rds in next year's draft.  Teams are definitely getting smarter.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10903086/2014-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-trade-pick-sammy-watkins-no-4

Sammy Watkins is headed to the Buffalo Bills, who moved up five spots in a trade with the Cleveland Browns to take the wide receiver with the No. 4 overall pick in the NFL draft.

The Bills sent the ninth overall pick along with their first- and fourth-round selections in 2015 to Cleveland in the trade -- one of five deals made during Thursday night's event.

8 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Yes, I am ignoring everything he did in his first two seasons.  The NFL is about performance and in the salary cap era it's about price / performance not loyalty or fandom.   Wilkerson is one of the highest paid players in the NFL.   He makes more $ than JJ Watt and within spitting distance of Von Miller - two perennial candidates for DPOY.  My expectation is that Wilkerson lives up to pay, I wouldn't blindly pay him because PepPep is his biggest fan.   

I can assure you that I understand the dynamics of today's NFL as well or better than Mike Maccagnan.   Rather than focusing on safeties and undersized linebackers I would focus all of my draft efforts on the premium positions: QB, LT, DE/OLB, WR.   Notice that those are the 4 weakest positions on the Jets right now, so while you are glad that I'm not the GM the rest of Jet fandom would be much happier on Sunday if Woordrow had hired me instead of the last 2 buffoons he did hire.    

What made it especially ignorant was the fact that Wilk is big on instincts and technique which is what made him better than Richardson in Rex' defense. He can read a lineman's blocks instinctively. 

The fact that in Bowles' defense the lineman do not read but attack negates Wilkerson's biggest asset. He's worth far less to us than he should be to other teams. 

7 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

People are way too down on Mo. He had one down year while recovering from an injury and all of a sudden he's a JAG even though he's essentially been our best player for the better part of 7 years.

Great players don't doggit, and put zero effort in. Mo's worse than a Jag, at least a Jag will try, the guy took more plays off than on last year.

I was pissed when we signed him, instead of Snacks. He's not a real pass rusher, and you don't give a run stuffer 86 mill contracts.

Guy got paid and stopped trying. Not turning up to meetings, blaming the Jets for not having a plan for him  and others shenanigans.

3 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Great players don't doggit, and put zero effort in. Mo's worse than a Jag, at least a Jag will try, the guy took more plays off than on last year.

I was pissed when we signed him, instead of Snacks. He's not a real pass rusher, and you don't give a run stuffer 86 mill contracts.

Guy got paid and stopped trying. Not turning up to meetings, blaming the Jets for not having a plan for him  and others shenanigans.

In fairness, he may have been hampered by the broken leg surgery he had after the 2015 season.  He did look a little better late last season.  If he sucks again this year, you may be correct. I'm hopeful he will bounce back though.

3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

In fairness, he may have been hampered by the broken leg surgery he had after the 2015 season.  He did look a little better late last season.  If he sucks again this year, you may be correct. I'm hopeful he will bounce back though.

He was medically cleared, played sh@t, then blamed the Jets. Mo danced with Olinemen, and never tried to disengage, he looked like a dancing bear. 

11 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Normally you'd be correct.  However are you aware of who the head coach is?

True enough. I did say him starting more than 3 games would surprise me but with 2 wins in 3 years with a slightly better roster than this team would that necessarily be a bad thing? I truly believe with this roster and the schedule they have it doesn't matter who is behind center. Winning more than 3 games would probably win Bowles coach of the year.

On 9/8/2017 at 1:56 PM, joewilly12 said:

Image result for MO WILK NY JETS HULA DANCE GIFS

If I recall he did that at ab out mid season and then faded badly that year and never made the pro bowl as a starter.  Mo wilk had a number of good half seasons and then the one great year in his contract year.  Then terrible last year.

Archived