With Pryors release, Jets demise comes into focus

Jetster

Looking back to 2014 & seeing this recent purge of players this offseason it really brings into focus how Macc was left a steaming pile of fetid garbage by the past 2 regimes. I read these boards & I see the frustration of Jet fans with Maccagnon and it brings me back to 2014 when I reported here that my nephew had gotten an internship as trainer with the Jets that summer in Cortland.

I'm not gonna rehash everything, but my nephew has been a Jet fan since my brother & I would bring him, my son, and his older brother to Hofstra to Jets camps for years. He said Amaro didn't even look like a football player & was slow and out of shape (I posted that here), he had a lot to say about Geno (posted that here). The one thing he said to me after that summer was "I don't even LIKE this team", ouch! I was like what happened & he explained to me from Rex down, this team was just a group of punks. He said it was like frat house. The players ruled the asylum & most were not nice people. The head trainers down. He even said Mangold was acting like a jerk which shocked me. He actually said that Mo Wilkerson was by far the nicest player. 

The Jets under Rex Ryan were a rudderless ship after that veteran team dissolved. We had older players who were no longer pro bowlers strutting around like superstars, younger players who had done sh*t & thought they were great, bad attitudes from top to bottom. Then Macc had to use the scouts the Jets had in place for his 2015 draft. I know a lot of you are losing patience with Macc, but damn, there was a lot of stink to be cleared out of this place. Probably one of the worst situations in football really other than the Browns.

My point is this. I f*cking hated the 2016 Jets! I hated them like my nephew hated the 2014 Jets. I had never seen so many quitters, from Revis on down to Fitz and Marshall. If we go 5-11 but I see guys flying around enthusiastically and some of these young guys develop, its all I can ask for. Maccs made some mistakes as have ALL GMs, but hes setting us up for another draft, after taking out the garbage and until he has a QB of the future to run this show it will never be easy, but at least I can hopefully say I like my team & the effort they showed which starts this Sunday. Go Jets.

You know, Mangini was not perfect by any means.   But he did a good job on focusing on guys who wanted to play football.   Those are the guys you build around.   When you have that as a core, you can bring in 1 or 2 (at most) talented guys with attitude problems, because the locker room can control them.    When you bring in a bunch, it all goes to crap.

The person most responsible the for no care attitude quitting team and slugs is still in full control that being Todd Bowles.  He coddled fat vets like Revis, he coddle his buddies on the team Shel rich, he talked very tough but got walked all over  The coach is a tough guy fraud and the team will fold again this year if things start to go bad.

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You hated the 2016 jets and said marshall, fitz and revis were to blame.  Um, those are all Mac's guys.

Mac sucks.  Hes done here in 6 months.

Revis was all Woody. No way a novice GM gets clearance to give a guy 18 million other than a QB. Marshall played well in 2015, but hes a bad influence on a losing squad, a lot of Diva vets are. He had to bring Fitz back we've gone over that ad nauseum. Maccs guys, lol. Now that he has some youth sprinkled into the squad lets see how he approaches free agency next year. Even the Vets he inherited like Harris & Mangold were finished. Sorry, I'm giving him another year & so is Woody. You cant keep clearing house & need some stability. I think his job is completely safe & should be.

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The person most responsible the for no care attitude quitting team and slugs is still in full control that being Todd Bowles.  He coddled fat vets like Revis, he coddle his buddies on the team Shel rich, he talked very tough but got walked all over  The coach is a tough guy fraud and the team will fold again this year if things start to go bad.

Bowles had no leaders & the leaders he had like David Harris were finished. We'll see what players ascend as leaders from these youngsters.

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

What's the statute of limitations on everything being Idzik and Rex's fault?

How long did it take the Raiders to be relevant again? 17 years! I'm gonna put money on it that it wont take Macc 17 years for the Jets to be relevant again. Jets actually WERE relevant in 2015 so he's on his 3rd year starting with the 2018 draft.

After 2011-2014 Woody said we gotta go competitive rebuild- Worked for 1 year. Year 2019 is when the rubber hits the road again.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

If Harris was finished, why did they sign him to that big deal as soon as they could?  They had plenty of money to sign another "leader" 

Because he was a true Jet. I didn't agree with it but they truly had zero leaders from that old guard except Harris. BB gets Harris character, that's why hes a Patriot.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Because he was a true Jet. I didn't agree with it but they truly had zero leaders from that old guard except Harris. BB gets Harris character, that's why hes a Patriot.

Literally every player that you have complained about was acquired by Maccagnan.  Revis, Fitzpatrick, Marshall, Harris.  Nobody held a gun to his head and made him sign these guys.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Literally every player that you have complained about was acquired by Maccagnan.  Revis, Fitzpatrick, Marshall, Harris.  Nobody held a gun to his head and made him sign these guys.

Hey, you and I don't agree about Macc. We'll see who is right in a couple of years. Free agency is no panacea. You make it sound like just because a free agency is available Macc can just go get him. There's way more to it, agents, where the player WANTS to play, and most importantly who & what positions are even available. If Tom Brady wasn't the GOAT, some of those horrific draft picks Belichick made would be front page news but having a franchise QB eases that sting a little.

44 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Looking back to 2014 & seeing this recent purge of players this offseason it really brings into focus how Macc was left a steaming pile of fetid garbage by the past 2 regimes. I read these boards & I see the frustration of Jet fans with Maccagnon and it brings me back to 2014 when I reported here that my nephew had gotten an internship as trainer with the Jets that summer in Cortland.

I'm not gonna rehash everything, but my nephew has been a Jet fan since my brother & I would bring him, my son, and his older brother to Hofstra to Jets camps for years. He said Amaro didn't even look like a football player & was slow and out of shape (I posted that here), he had a lot to say about Geno (posted that here). The one thing he said to me after that summer was "I don't even LIKE this team", ouch! I was like what happened & he explained to me from Rex down, this team was just a group of punks. He said it was like frat house. The players ruled the asylum & most were not nice people. The head trainers down. He even said Mangold was acting like a jerk which shocked me. He actually said that Mo Wilkerson was by far the nicest player. 

The Jets under Rex Ryan were a rudderless ship after that veteran team dissolved. We had older players who were no longer pro bowlers strutting around like superstars, younger players who had done sh*t & thought they were great, bad attitudes from top to bottom. Then Macc had to use the scouts the Jets had in place for his 2015 draft. I know a lot of you are losing patience with Macc, but damn, there was a lot of stink to be cleared out of this place. Probably one of the worst situations in football really other than the Browns.

My point is this. I f*cking hated the 2016 Jets! I hated them like my nephew hated the 2014 Jets. I had never seen so many quitters, from Revis on down to Fitz and Marshall. If we go 5-11 but I see guys flying around enthusiastically and some of these young guys develop, its all I can ask for. Maccs made some mistakes as have ALL GMs, but hes setting us up for another draft, after taking out the garbage and until he has a QB of the future to run this show it will never be easy, but at least I can hopefully say I like my team & the effort they showed which starts this Sunday. Go Jets.

Thank You.  

I remember your posts very well and the grief that you took for them because they couldn't be true cause "Rex was a great HC" and "what did your relative" know anyway.  

The amazing thing is folks will double down on their misperceptions regardless of countervailing evidence almost every time because while they believe they are being objective it is really emotion that guides them.  

15 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank You.  

I remember your posts very well and the grief that you took for them because they couldn't be true cause "Rex was a great HC" and "what did your relative" know anyway.  

The amazing thing is folks will double down on their misperceptions regardless of countervailing evidence almost every time because while they believe they are being objective it is really emotion that guides them.  

Thank you Charlie Brown for remembering those posts. I got crucified, lol. It was actually really cool to have inside information of what was REALLY going on & everything that has happened since has proven that it was utter chaos in 2014. The drafted players weren't only bad football players, they were players either out of shape & cashing checks and some were walking into camp with bad attitudes & no one there to convert them. It was every player for themselves & that really culminated by the end of that season. Macc had to assess what he had here first. He did that & most everybody is gone. Lets see what we get in effort & teamwork starting Sunday.

I think this thread makes 2 valid points-

• Idzik and Tanny left the Jets with a pile of garbage.
  • Macc is not free of fault in what he has done over the last 3 years. 

The common denominators here are Woody, and the Jets Scouting team until Macc replaced them.  

Idzik and Macc were not hires that looked bad on their face.  They were guys who were moving up the ladder, just like the GMs now of the Bills, Lions, Bears, Colts and Panthers.  The logic that Macc is still learning and needs time is also not bad on its face, but theoretically it would have also applied to Idzik-but the Idzik 12 were too obviously bad for him to survive.

Alot of these questionable draft picks come from coaches who are exerting excess influence over that process.  That is where Pryor and Lee come from-I think they are similar problems.

The team needs stability and direction.  The Jets need a football president.  I would like to see how Macc and Bowles do with smarter, more informed people providing direction.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

So, basically, the reason for optimism re: Macc is that other GMs also make mistakes, and there will be a 2018 NFL Draft and the New York Jets will participate in it?

52 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Bowles had no leaders & the leaders he had like David Harris were finished. We'll see what players ascend as leaders from these youngsters.

It's up to him to find leaders, give them rope to lead and to bitch slap any of the trouble players.  Guys that actually tried to act like leader like Marshall were laughed at and ridiculed by dumbasses like Richardson and not only did Bowles do nothing he in effect encouraged it by saying 'we are handling it ' and then having the same schmucks do the same thing next week.

He bleats about 'giving the best chance to win' and yet he let revis stay on the field when he was about our 5th best Cb on the team.  This guy had every chance to set a tone for this team last year and he utterly failed.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

If it makes you feel better IMO, if the season goes as predicted think Bowles is the fall guy

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

So, basically, the reason for optimism re: Macc is that other GMs also make mistakes, and there will be a 2018 NFL Draft and the New York Jets will participate in it?

There in lies the rub about defenses like "everyone makes mistakes" or "every QB throws INTs".  Yes, everyone makes mistakes, but the good ones make way more better moves than bad.  That's why they're good.

Macc is on thin ice, but as I mentioned before, every GM should get one chance to blow things up.  This is his chance.  He was patching holes before, now he has to build and he's got one big shot with the 2018 draft and the new franchise QB.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

?????Calvin Pryor could have been a Hall of Famer and this still would be the worst roster in football, but with a HoF strong safety.?????

Not if Dee Mlliner was also a HOF talent, and Quinton Coples, or Stephen Hill,  or Kyle Wilson & Vlad Ducasse or Geno Smith. How about if this group played in one f*cking pro bowl, that would have been cool. If 3 of these guys turned out to be an above average football player the Jets would be better for it today.

14 minutes ago, SMC said:

There in lies the rub about defenses like "everyone makes mistakes" or "every QB throws INTs".  Yes, everyone makes mistakes, but the good ones make way more better moves than bad.  That's why they're good.

Macc is on thin ice, but as I mentioned before, every GM should get one chance to blow things up.  This is his chance.  He was patching holes before, now he has to build and he's got one big shot with the 2018 draft and the new franchise QB.

I just don't get why we're trusting the Devin Smith, Lorenzo Maudlin, Bryce Petty, Darron Lee, Christian Hackenberg, and back to back safeties guy with a blow up?  He's already proven that he doesn't look at positional value, and his track record thus far is awful outside of lucking into one great player who fell to him, who, actually was still the wrong pick.

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It's up to him to find leaders, give them rope to lead and to bitch slap any of the trouble players.  Guys that actually tried to act like leader like Marshall were laughed at and ridiculed by dumbasses like Richardson and not only did Bowles do nothing he in effect encouraged it by saying 'we are handling it ' and then having the same schmucks do the same thing next week.

He bleats about 'giving the best chance to win' and yet he let revis stay on the field when he was about our 5th best Cb on the team.  This guy had every chance to set a tone for this team last year and he utterly failed.

If you think or wanted Marshall to lead you would have made as big a mess as Bowles.  I agree with your premise, but being a big mouth and on TV does not make you a leader.  Leading makes you a leader and I am pretty sure that most locker rooms he has been in think Marshall is a whiny bitch. 

7 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I just don't get why we're trusting the Devin Smith, Lorenzo Maudlin, Bryce Petty, Darron Lee, Christian Hackenberg, and back to back safeties guy with a blow up?  He's already proven that he doesn't look at positional value, and his track record thus far is awful outside of lucking into one great player who fell to him, who, actually was still the wrong pick.

It's a bit of a catch 22, I know, but I don't see Macc as a disaster such as Idzik.  He has brought in talent, not the best, but certainly not guys belonging on the street.  I don't think it's wise to turn over a high pick draft to the unknown.

2 minutes ago, SMC said:

It's a bit of a catch 22, I know, but I don't see Macc as a disaster such as Idzik.  He has brought in talent, not the best, but certainly not guys belonging on the street.  I don't think it's wise to turn over a high pick draft to the unknown.

the biggest issue i have with mccags is that he didn't do this right away, but clearly woody was not on board for a full rebuild when mccags arrived.  

the best thing i could reasonably hope for this year is that petty proves he is a decent starting qb, that would really give me hope that this regime can turn around the offense.  

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

That 2016 you hated so much was built by Macc. Those three "quitters" you mention on that team (Revis, Fitz, and Marshall) were brought in specifically by... drum roll please... Macc. The previous regime's colossal ineptitude DOES NOT excuse this one's poor drafting so far: 2 drafts; 13 players; with only 2 so far looking like they could be perennial, competent starters (Leo, Jenkins).

9 minutes ago, SMC said:

I would look at the last 2 drafts with Maccs scouts including undrafted players like Anderson. 

17 minutes ago, SMC said:

lolwut

Archived